Print Thread
Go To
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
P
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
P
I wanted to add a Gadd9 chord (I,III,V, IX) and BIAB automatically changed t to Gadd2. I understand this and the note equivalence. But why does not BIAB allow and make provision for "add9" chords? The add 2 and the add9 chords both include the same notes but the add9 chord will ensure that the note is in the highest position.

On a piano and on a guitar sometimes the add9 chord is very beautiful. But its beauty may very be lost if the 9th is just made into a 2nd note.

Also you might add a feature corresponding to a slash chord but the chosen note would be the highest note in the chord. This would allow a Gadd2 to really should like a Gadd9 as long as the A note was chosen and specified to be the highest note.

Please include add9 chords in BIAB. Alteratively, please add a way where you can force which note is the highest note in the chord. This is similar to the slash chord that ensures which note will be the lowest note.

Also BIAB now allows for 2 chords which have the notes 1,2,3,5. Could you please add a suspended 2 chord which would be notes 1,2,5? There are important sonic differences between a 2 chord and suspended 2 chord. The context will determine which is better--i.e. aesthetically pleasing.

Last edited by Peter K. Hewer; 01/27/22 07:51 AM.
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
B
Apprentice
Apprentice
B
+1
I love add9 chords !

Bernard Rasson

BIAB Audiophile 2021, BIAB Megapak 2015 (for midi-only projects), Cakewalk, Roland XV-5080, Roland Fantom XR, Aria AC60 Nylon Strings Guitar, Almansa Spanish Guitar, Fender Stratocaster Japan, two laptops
Je parle français
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Expert
Expert
The thing is, BIAB reserves the right to voice chords as it sees fit, depending on style and instrument, so even if they included “add9” in the roster, it would just be a synonym for “add2”.

I do like the idea of a “high slash chord”, though most styles will have a bass line to handle those slash notes, whereas there is nothing like a corresponding “high line”.

Last edited by Mark Hayes; 02/02/22 03:54 AM.
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Bernard Rasson
+1
I love add9 chords !

I agree!

+1

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Mark Hayes
The thing is, BIAB reserves the right to voice chords as it sees fit, depending on style and instrument, so even if they included “add9” in the roster, it would just be a synonym for “add2”.

That would be true for all MIDI and RTs right now but in the future new MIDI and RTs could add the add9 chord. Plus maybe PGM could/would modify previous MIDI and RTs to include an add9.

I do like the idea of a “high slash chord”, though most styles will have a bass line to handle those slash notes, whereas there is nothing like a corresponding “high line”.

This is a good idea. Maybe something like C/C/D where the first slash is the bass and the second the high would work; only the programmers know for sure.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: MarioD
This is a good idea. Maybe something like C/C/D where the first slash is the bass and the second the high would work

Which, when you think about it, would give you complete voicing for triads, and so would be a big step in the direction of being able to simply spell the exact chords you want. "I'll have the C4/E4/G4, please, with a D5 on top." Presumably there would have to be a filter so you don't get to tell a guitar to play C4/C#4/D4/D#4 (Mario, if you can find a way to play that chord, it should be named after you!)

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Originally Posted By: MarioD
This is a good idea. Maybe something like C/C/D where the first slash is the bass and the second the high would work

Which, when you think about it, would give you complete voicing for triads, and so would be a big step in the direction of being able to simply spell the exact chords you want. "I'll have the C4/E4/G4, please, with a D5 on top." Presumably there would have to be a filter so you don't get to tell a guitar to play C4/C#4/D4/D#4 (Mario, if you can find a way to play that chord, it should be named after you!)

The major problem with my suggestion is that RTs would have to be played in all variations and/or inversions. That would take a lot of disk space!

I do very little work with RTs, usually just take what they give me when the rare times I do use them. Maybe RT stems would be an answer.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
This could have been two threads. It's two different topics.

About the add9 and sus2 chords, I think some definitions need to be understood for what BIAB supports versus what BIAB plays. You can type add2 or add9, or 2 or sus2, but what does BIAB actually enter, and what does BIAB actually play?

If you type Xadd2, you get Xadd2.
If you type Xadd9, it flips to Xadd2.
If you type X2, you get X2.
If you type Xsus2, it flips to X2.

So right there, you see that BIAB has made a decision to treat these as two chords, not four.

But it's actually worse than that. All four are the same chord to BIAB. Here's why:

This is an old file from 1999, still in effect to my knowledge, called /bb/Data/pgshortc.txt

; This file allows you to add new chord shortcuts
; The file pgshortc.txt should be used only by PG Music
; you can add your own shortcuts in a text file you can make called c:\bb\shortcut.txt
; If you find a chord that BB won't accept like Csus2, when it expects C2 instead
; you can enter this on a single line (without the quotes) "Csus2@C2"
; Then BB will enter the chord C2 if you type in Csus 2.
; these allow someone to type in Csus2 and the program will accept it.
; You can also use it for shortcuts, like if you entered j@maj7 , BB would let you
; type Cj for CMaj7
;Here's an example that would type m7b5 if you typed h
; Note these are already defined in BB, and you can't over-ride these shortcuts
;sus2@2 add2@2 m+@m#5 dim7@dim 7aug@7+ sus4@sus 11@9sus 9sus4@9sus
;13sus4@13sus add9@2 7sus4@7sus s@7sus h@m7b5 d@dim J@MAJ7
; f@7b9 m7+@m7#5 NC@C. no chord l@7Alt u@(Blues) 7u@7(Blues)
; Lyd@lydian Lyd@lyd Lyd@4#

;here's an example that types 7#9 if you type n after the chord name eg. Cn
n@7#9

Now we see some problems. It says sus2 requires a shortcut, and yet below it says sus2 = 2, and that's built-in and we cannot change it.

This file says sus2 = 2, add2 = 2, and add9 = 2. They are all the same chord to BIAB! Enter them one after another in BIAB and hear for yourself.

All these separate chords could easily be implemented in MIDI, and then these default shortcuts should be removed. Making these chords work in RealTracks requires the artists to record these chords and as Mario says, that takes effort and space, and would only work going forward with new RealTracks.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
If it's not in the recorded material it will substitute.
You have Playable RealTracks now so you can add the extra note.
Maybe this can be added as as a feature to do this automatically rather than using Melodyne. I can do it in Reaper.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
G
G
I would like it a lot if BB and RB treated the add2 and add9 differently. Especially useful when it comes to guitar fingerpicking backing tracks. I've used two workarounds:
1) adding higher accents by recording a second guitar track directly into RB (MIDI or Audio) to match my desired flavor (usually higher add9s)
2) creating a duplicate BB-generated guitar MIDI track (could be any instrument)in RB, shifting the MIDI notes up an octave, then killing all the unnecessary notes in the duplicate track, then assigning a guitar VSTi/VST. I typically use Sforzando and Ample Martin Lite and they work well. Both are okay for these kinds of add9 accents covering a few measures. Not so great for entire backing tracks. Still, very doable... if you're retired, happily housebound, given special permission to stay in the studio longer while putting other things on the back burner, etc. Dare to dream on.

Songwriter, not Singer-Songwriter. Dropped singing in time to save a few friends and pets. RealBand user since 2011. Little known fact... 1 million people live in Nova Scotia. Of those, 1.5 million are musicians. Website: www.songmaker.ca
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Well articulated.

+1

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
P
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
P
Thanks all for you comments and suggestions. I hope PG Music will respond and at least allow MIDI styles to provide the add9 and thesuspended2 (1,2,5 NOT 1,2,3,5 [the later is the definition of a 2 chord without suspension]) Both the 2 chord and the suspended 2 chords are beautiful but they different in sound.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
+1

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Biab a box should be able to do all this intelligently.

There are added notes and a chord in this video using PRT. These can also be used to add notes to existing RT chords once the PRT SFZ is matched to the same tone.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ytk0n0rd5ziwpbv/RT3480-SFZ%5BSN0757%5D.mp4?dl=0

Same deal with midi, existing chord notes can be duplicated intelligently by Biab. This is all easily do in Reaper.
Midi Phrase Snap To Chord Tool

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
S
Veteran
Veteran
S
+1

Also remember to add the keyboard to display KEY

WIN10 20H2, AMD R4800H ,16G , 2T ,FOCUSRITE 2i4 MKII,Studio One,FL STUDIO
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Journeyman
Journeyman
+1

MacMini M1 - BIAB2021 - Logic Pro X - iZotope Music Production Suite - Scaler 2 - far too many Waves plugins and Line 6 Guitars and boards + a fantastic Yamaha THR10ll mini Amp - Avid MBOX Studio

Peters' Garage is available on all major streaming services
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Journeyman
Journeyman
Originally Posted By: Peter K. Hewer

Also BIAB now allows for 2 chords which have the notes 1,2,3,5. Could you please add a suspended 2 chord which would be notes 1,2,5? There are important sonic differences between a 2 chord and suspended 2 chord. The context will determine which is better--i.e. aesthetically pleasing.

I am not so polite as to say that BiaB "allows" for misspelled sus2 chords. They're misspelled, period. BiaB does not permit sus2 chords. When I type them in, they're converted to x2 chords, which are really xadd2 chords. I've posted my annoyance about this before. I'm currently working on a tune that uses "x2" chords, and there are 3rds all over the place. Annoying, and there's nothing I can do about it in BiaB because I cannot edit any track other than Melody or Solo. Yes, it would be nice if I could edit all the tracks, but really the point is, for sus2 chords, I shouldn't have to.

Obviously, I'm talking about MIDI here. RTs are another matter, and I really don't care about it. I just want MIDI sus2 chords.

Last edited by cooltouch; 04/15/22 01:03 PM.
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
Annoying, and there's nothing I can do about it in BiaB because I cannot edit any track other than Melody or Solo.

If you have the 2022 version, you can edit MIDI on any of the Utility tracks.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Originally Posted By: AudioTrack
Quote:
Annoying, and there's nothing I can do about it in BiaB because I cannot edit any track other than Melody or Solo.

If you have the 2022 version, you can edit MIDI on any of the Utility tracks.

Actually you can edit ANY MIDI track in the piano roll view. It is very easy to delete those thirds and/or to change the chord to an add9. Just go to the piano roll view and click on help as it will tell you everything you need to know. Just be sure to freeze the track so a regeneration will not change your edits. You can freeze a track will in the piano roll view.

I hope this helps.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Journeyman
Journeyman
Thanks for the news, guys. Wow, it was about time. Yes, I have the 2022 version, so I will happily edit my midi files now. Good point about freezing the tracks, too. Although, I thought this applied only to RT's?

Hey Mario, I've hardly used the Piano Roll for editing purposes. I'll have to check that out.

Last edited by cooltouch; 04/17/22 10:57 PM.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,587
Posts734,722
Members38,500
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai
38,499 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 197