Go To
Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)
T
Teejay Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
T
Hi Hang - sorry to be whipped into a dramatic froth - but my BIB is trying to make me clinically insane.

When I set up and play a song, BIB's pitch and tempo does not match what I set. It seems to run a few BPM slow, and all the pitches are about 1.17 steps down from what the chords indicate... almost as it it were a tape, running slow. The highlighted "I'm playing now!" bars in the chord sheet do not match what I hear.

I've tried "le rebootez" and "der reloadez" many times, with no helpful effect. I've searched just about every parameter to see if there is a "transpose" or "detune" setting, and can't find anything. I'm now bald from yanking my hair out! smile

My computer is a "grossly-above-spec" Sweetwater Creation Station, Win 10, and 16G RAM. It's as if BIB is somehow decoupled from the system clock speed, but I don't see how that could be possible.

I'd appreciate **ANY** ideas as to what to look for.

Thanks!

We get 168 hours a week to be alive, for as many weeks as God lets us live. What shall you do with yours?
Veteran
Veteran
You said you used the "return to factory settings", right? Cause that is the first things to try.

Could you have an audio file with the same name as the BIAB file in the same directory. BIAB will be playing that along with your BIAB file if it is there.

Or do you have a miss matched samle rate between BIAB and your Audio Device? (48KHz versus 44.1 KHz)

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Veteran
Veteran
I agree with each of Dan's things to check. I'm curious what you mean by "about 1.17 steps down'. Depending on what that means, I am leaning toward a device whose sample rate is off. A Windows update can do that, for example.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
T
Teejay Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
T
To my understanding, guys, everything is at 44.1 - I never have used anything else. I ran the "Return to Factory Settings", with no significant change (= "none that I'm aware of / still no joy".)

It's a "brand new" (to me) song; no other files on the system with the same name. I experimented with several other (previously successfully-recorded) tunes... with the same result: for example - I tell BB to play a D, it plays a C at about 87 cents flat. I don't use MIDI at this stage of song construction, but just to be safe, I told BB to use my MOTO 828 mk3 driver.

I suspect I'd need the ASAIO driver for audio output, routed to the MOTU analog outputs 7 & 8, but I can't tell where in BB to verify that. I've been running BB on this system since 2014, with never any issues. Simple "song construction" use, and then I port any tracks into the DAW for the "serious work".

Matt, I'm starting to suspect a "Windows update issue", as you mentioned. But "Dammit, Jim Kirk, I'm a doctor, not a software engineer!!" How could I determine this?

I appreciate the help so far, gentlemen... and I'm still stumped! laugh

We get 168 hours a week to be alive, for as many weeks as God lets us live. What shall you do with yours?
Veteran
Veteran
First, what version of BIAB are we talking about? I am now suspecting it is OLD. And no you do not need ASIO driver for audio output. I use MME and select my MOTU Main Out 1-2 with no issues (I don't see any other selection choice for the MOTU in this case).

Windows updates, ya that could mess with sound. BIAB can be picky with ASIO so maybe you need to reinstall your MOTU Asio?? I find reinstalling the MOTU drivers has fixed problems in the past.

Or, Can you upload the file and we can test to see if it is a file corruption issue?

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

T
Teejay Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
T
Dan -

Thanks, man. Undoubtedly, my BB version is OLD - "Version 2019 (644)", 64-bit.

Here's the long story:

* I've been running BB since about 2014, upgrading each year, typically by buying a new hard drive version from PG Music. In my entire history with PG, I have had no (zero!) problems using this method. Yes, I pay a little bit more (versus just "upgrading"), but it saves me time and fuss.
* My studio is well-used... up until Covid 19 reared its head in 2020, anyway, it was running close to 24 hours a day: a nice problem to have.
* When Covid came along, it was just like flipping a switch: the studio (and related income) went dark, overnight. And now (April 2022), things are starting to come back to life... yeay!
* One of the bands I was supporting, had begun tracking back in 2020. Their guitarist perished from C19 - a truly miserable story: the vaccine wasn't ready in time to save him. They broke up, and have since reformed last month (April).
* I hadn't used BB much in the interim. When I tried calling-up their files, that's when I discovered the timing issue.
* Since using the "Return to Factory Settings" option, nothing **at all** works - the screens are all different (not the "Big Chords" option I used to use), and no audio output at all.
In "Options>Preferences> Audio>Audio Driver Type", I tried setting "ASAIO>MOTU AUDIO ASIO", and received a distinctly unjolly "Access Violation at 000000000081ECA9 in module bbw64.exe 00000000000000008".

Loosely-translated, I interpret this as "your system is sh** to bed; and nunc est bibendum, suckah!"

As I said, I have no means to catalog what Microsoft might have done to my OS during the Covid period... and I really do thank you for your interest and any other suggestions you might have. With the Hard Drive in my possession, I might even be able to uninstall BB completely and then reload it, except I have no idea how to safely do that!

But thanks again, in the interim! smile

Veteran
Veteran
Check your Windows audio device settings to make sure all your devices are set the same. Windows likes to reset audio device settings to 24 bit, 48000 Hz. Here are the steps to follow:

Windows Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Sound > Manage audio devices.

Select a device > Select Properties > Select the Advanced tab.

Each audio device should display the same sample rate and bit depth of 16 bit, 44100 Hz (CD Quality).

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
B
Journeyman
Journeyman
B
Yep. From the description, it sounds like a sample rate mismatch.

Byron Dickens

BIAB. CbB. Mixbus 32C 8 HP Envy. Intel core i7. 16GB RAM W10. Focusrite Scarlett 18i 20. Various instruments played with varying degrees of proficiency.

https://soundcloud.com/athanorsoundlabs
Veteran
Veteran
That's votes for sample rate mismatch. grin

Hi Jim:

Seems like you're a veteran expert ... I have used BIAB for a while ... definitely not an expert ... a service tech from Sweetwater told me I need to set my audio in Studio One to 48Khz and 24 bit ... so I did ... and now BIAB comes up and says audio has changed to 48000 ... and now everything speeds up ... I went to control panel as you shared in your response to this initial thread ... and for the life of me ... I can't find a "Hardware and Sound" button or tab ... through my Motu sound card interface ... I can change back to 41k ... but am I missing something ... or is there a way to get BIAB 2022 Audiophile edition to work at 48 K 24 bit setting using Studio One as my DAW ... hope this is not too confusing ... thank you very much for your consideration ...

Donnie ... (oh by the way ... I was born in Winston-Salem!!)

Last edited by The Don; 11/05/22 09:45 AM.
Veteran
Veteran
Hello Donnie,

What part of SC are you in, Lowcountry, Midlands or Upcountry? I was raised on a barrier island just south of Charleston and have a brother that lives near the coast and the NC \ SC border.

The most important thing to remember about recording audio settings is the audio recording settings for the computer operating system, audio interface and software program need to match. Otherwise digital audio has to be converted to match each setting. Each time audio is converted noise is introduced into the audio. Each conversion also requires cpu cycles.

The second most important thing to remember is playback audio settings must match an audio file's recording settings. If not audio pitch and / or tempo can be affected during playback.

The Audiophile RealTracks WAV files are 16 bits and 44,100 Hertz (44.1kHz) sample rate. That is the reason 16/44.1 is recommended.

While 16/44.1 is still the recommended audio standard for CDs, that standard is not as strong as it use to be. Audio is increasingly packaged with video and the sample rate standard for audio packaged with video is 48kHz. Again as video media becomes more prevalent and CDs become less popular the bit rate "standard" is changing from 16 bits to 24 bits. As a media driven company Microsoft has a tendency to reset the operating system audio to 16/48 or even 24/48 during updates. Audio interface driver settings frequently default to 24/48.

My philosophy is to match the lowest common denominator. In my case that's my vintage digital recorder. It has no audio settings because 16/44.1 is baked into the firmware!

Band-in-a-Box generally has no issue converting digital audio. The program recently changed the audio engine it uses to manage digital audio. The new audio engine is more capable of converting digital audio than the previous audio engine.

Again, the primary consideration is all the recording audio settings must match

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: The Don
Hi Jim:

I can't find a "Hardware and Sound" button or tab ... through my Motu sound card interface ..)

My MOTU Audio Express is self sensing and will adjust to what ever the source is. Otherwise you override using the MOTU Audio Counsole, if that helps.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Capture.GIF (54.93 KB, 23 downloads)

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,401
Posts732,558
Members38,443
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199