Page 1 of 2 1 2
#715458 05/03/22 04:30 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Wrong To Write on Soundcloud
Wrong To Write on YouTube

Sorry folks, this one has no relation to Carlos Santana except that its writer has always been a big fan, and is really really enjoying the current challenge on this forum.

In this song it seems the singer wrote a nasty-gram to his significant other who left him for another. But then he had time to think about it and wished he could take it back and just get her back. I'm not sure the meaning will come out in the lyrics. It's a conversation between two and we are not one of them.

The original vocal seemed a bit uncaring. When I redid it and tried to roll some compassion into it, it sounded like whining more than crying. So, after spending a couple days in bed with some kind of stomach flu, my voice seemed distressed enough to give it another go.

Your comments are much appreciated.

Style is _PBALCEL.STY (Pop Ballad w/ Cello & Guitars)
Style MIDI Instruments are : Bright Piano (2),
RealTracks in style: 838:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm PopBalladClean Ev 085
RealTracks in style: ~703:Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming Spirited Ev 085
RealTracks in song: 3348:Guitar, Electric, Soloist HazyBallad ev16 070
RealTracks in song: 1856:Cello, Background PopCountry Ev 085
RealDrums in style:NashvilleEven16^5-a:Snare, HiHat , b:Snare, Ride
I played bass and cried –er, sang.

Wrong To Write

You stood by my side until the day he took you away.
I can see now that you lied when you told me you would stay.
Every night I go to sleep alone. Every day I just wait for night.
I regret those words I was so wrong to write.

I sat with pen in hand, then started writing without a thought.
In truth I had to take a stand to regain the love brought.
I'll never understand what it meant to you if you could throw it all away.
I was wrong to write. I just want you to stay.

If I could take it back could I get you back? Would you stay right by my side?
I was in a mood when I wrote to you. Please forgive my foolish pride.
If I could take it back would you take me back? Would you make it all alright?
I want to take it back. I was so wrong to write. I want to take it back. I was so wrong to write.

Enjoy whatever happens!
marty

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@babumusic51
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/marty-straub
and https://soundcloud.com/babumusic-5080285
Band in a Box, Reaper, Cakewalk, Ozone 11
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Marty ...

Somewhere between easy-pop and country - a place I like a lot of my music to reside. And yes, the meaning is well-depicted in the lyric. Nothing to worry about there.

As your music always is, this perfectly mixed and produced. You definitely weren't wrong to write this one! That acoustic guitar on the left carries the background tracks so nicely. The other backing tracks just fall in line behind it. Thanks for a real nice listen ...

Alan

BIAB 2022 Ultra Plus-all StylePaks*Win10*8GB DDR4*I5-6th Gen*AT 2035 Mic*Peavey Nashville 112 Amp*Ibanez ART120 Electric/Washburn D200S Acoustic*Stromberg Monterey Jazz Guitar

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Great hook, Marty! The style you chose matches the mood of the lyrics perfectly. Is that a BIAB guitar solo?

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Very nice song Marty, good hook. I think your vocal came out very well, and really love the music and the mix. It's got a terrific overall sound that really drew me in.

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Marty...what a hook!..."so wrong to write"...That's so creative and unforced and the music style and delivery fit it so well...loved your vocal on this...smooth and sincere...great love song...all of the lines of the lyric are conversational and as I said "unforced"...way to write man! I've made a few videos for some of my stuff but yours are always so well done and so cool! I'm jealous! Good on you Bud!

www.soundclick.com/firesong
BiaB 2023, Steinberg Cubase Pro 12, Wavelab 11.1, SpetraLayers Pro 10, Audacity, UR44 Interface, Yamaha Genos, Roland FP60 and FP10, Windows 10

You are who you are because you do what you do because of what you believe.
User Showcase
D
Expert
Expert
D
Marty,

Soulful and touching—I think your vocal delivery is spot on, conveying a sincere and longing regret. Love that guitar solo—works perfectly. Not sure why but this reminds me of a 50’s songs—lyrically it just has that feel to me—though sound wise it’s much more contemporary. No matter, as it’s sweet as all heck--and a clever hook. Well done!

All my best,

Deej

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Marty,

Nice country pop ballad!
Soulful and touching as Deej sais.
Heartbreaking Song!
Your singing perfect fits this.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi

Al-David #715570 05/04/22 02:13 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Al-David
Hi Marty ...

Somewhere between easy-pop and country - a place I like a lot of my music to reside. And yes, the meaning is well-depicted in the lyric. Nothing to worry about there.

As your music always is, this perfectly mixed and produced. You definitely weren't wrong to write this one! That acoustic guitar on the left carries the background tracks so nicely. The other backing tracks just fall in line behind it. Thanks for a real nice listen ...

Alan

Thanks, Alan. Yeah, it's nice not having a target audience so I don't have to make a song fit the genre parameters. Thanks for your wonderful comment. Stay well.

Originally Posted By: Dewey_MI
Great hook, Marty! The style you chose matches the mood of the lyrics perfectly. Is that a BIAB guitar solo?

Thanks, Dewey. Yes it is. Used multroffs to get it right --or close.

Originally Posted By: Brad Williams
Very nice song Marty, good hook. I think your vocal came out very well, and really love the music and the mix. It's got a terrific overall sound that really drew me in.
'
Thanks, Brad. Glad the hook caught you.

Originally Posted By: firesong
Marty...what a hook!..."so wrong to write"...That's so creative and unforced and the music style and delivery fit it so well...loved your vocal on this...smooth and sincere...great love song...all of the lines of the lyric are conversational and as I said "unforced"...way to write man! I've made a few videos for some of my stuff but yours are always so well done and so cool! I'm jealous! Good on you Bud!

Thanks for all of that, Dan! All of that!

Enjoy whatever happens!
marty

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Marty,

This is really, really comfortable listening. It's similar to the electric-acoustic sound that I love and that I often seem to use in my own songs. Maybe that's why I could identify with it so well.

I love, love, love the hook and the play on words... "Wrong to write" versus "wrong to right". To my ears, I listen to your song and hear this as "wrong to write" because that's what the lyrics are clearly saying. But I also hear the song saying "wrong to right" as in the guy imploring his love interest to come back so that he can right his wrong. This is insanely clever. Though my brain never thinks of these kinds of lyrics, I sincerely admire them when I hear them in the work of others. I'm impressed!

I enjoyed the journey.

All the best,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Nice hook. Wrong to write.... nicely done.

This reminds me of the folk rock that I grew up listening to. Dan Fogleburg and others in that singer/songwriter/folk rock scene.

That was cool.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Marty,

You knocked this one outta-the-park!
Everything is well done.

Good write. A clever hook and you "wrote to it" really well. Good lines all over the place.
My favorite of yours.

Well sung.
Excellent BAND. Good solo! (and cool Bass, of course).
Excellent mix.

Like it. Like it. Like it!!!

fj

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Marty,

Well, the stomach flu certainly did sort of good work.
The vocal really sounds a bit affected, seized with emotion.
Perfectly fits this song.
Which is a really good song!

Rob and Anne-Marie

We are Rob Meulman and Anne-Marie Bovenkamp from The Netherlands.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1gsdNLE7_Gy8qavoOplQow/videos
http://rnam.net/

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Marty suffers for his art.
It's the part of song recording that defeats me every time - I can't act with my voice.
Your voice does have the right edge to it on this song - well done virus!
A good narrative...we all live with regrets and pressing the END button these days, which seems to happen far too easily, compounds the problem.
A sad story wrapped in a very comfy arrangement & melody.
Nothing superfluous...nothing missing.
VERY cool.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Marty, what a fantastic song

Everything is so well balanced and your vocal was very strong

Outstanding lyrics

This took me back to the early 60s

Your best to date

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
I love this.
Excellent... top to bottom, start to finish...

Bandcamp
Soundcloud
Win-11; BiaB-2024-latest Beta;
Cakewalk; Melodyne-5; Scaler 2; NI Komplete:
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20

Deej56 #715862 05/06/22 08:53 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Deej56
Marty,

Soulful and touching—I think your vocal delivery is spot on, conveying a sincere and longing regret. Love that guitar solo—works perfectly. Not sure why but this reminds me of a 50’s songs—lyrically it just has that feel to me—though sound wise it’s much more contemporary. No matter, as it’s sweet as all heck--and a clever hook. Well done!

All my best,

Deej

Thanks, Deej. Guess my heart is in the 50s while my mind is here and now.

Originally Posted By: animarorecords
Marty,

Nice country pop ballad!
Soulful and touching as Deej sais.
Heartbreaking Song!
Your singing perfect fits this.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi

Thanks so much!!

Originally Posted By: Noel96
Hi Marty,

This is really, really comfortable listening. It's similar to the electric-acoustic sound that I love and that I often seem to use in my own songs. Maybe that's why I could identify with it so well.

I love, love, love the hook and the play on words... "Wrong to write" versus "wrong to right". To my ears, I listen to your song and hear this as "wrong to write" because that's what the lyrics are clearly saying. But I also hear the song saying "wrong to right" as in the guy imploring his love interest to come back so that he can right his wrong. This is insanely clever. Though my brain never thinks of these kinds of lyrics, I sincerely admire them when I hear them in the work of others. I'm impressed!

I enjoyed the journey.

All the best,
Noel

YES, Noel! I reasoned similarly after writing the lyrics, and was going to end with "Write the wrong I did" in a second letter. Thanks so much!!

Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
Nice hook. Wrong to write.... nicely done.

This reminds me of the folk rock that I grew up listening to. Dan Fogleburg and others in that singer/songwriter/folk rock scene.

That was cool.

Thanks, Herb. I like the reference.

Enjoy whatever happens!
marty

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Good one, Marty, man, you are such a good writer! Vocal turned out great too.

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Hello Marty
great song
Very nice melody
In addition a very good singing
Your songs are always very different.
that's exactly what I like about your music
Great work
Many greetings
Andi ;-)

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Sounds like the stomach flu agrees with you smile

Don't take it back, I like it.

moto

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Marty,

This is a very nice sad (ex-) lovesong!
I loved it from the start, mainly because I always like this kind of chord progressions that force one into singing heartbraking things.
And you did that with the right touch in your vocals!

But I also had to laugh about Dave wrote:
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Good one, Marty, man, you are such a good writer! Vocal turned out great too.

because that writing brought you into trouble!!!

I was thinking if it could have been nice if you sang this song in a collaboration with Deej. He has that tremelo you were trying to achive. Both your voices could sound great in the chorusses, don't you think?
But without his vocals I still enjoyed your song a lot!
Is she back yet?

Hans

Hans Berkhout
(Birchwood)
https://soundcloud.com/user-296497130
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,398
Posts732,549
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199