Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
J
OP Offline
J
In my case, I reinstalled BIAB Version 2021 (845) after a disk crash.

I have a song using _JPLMBOS.STY that is 40 choruses of 32 bar length. Prior to the crash It used to take 15s-20s to generate and now it takes 3-4 minutes. Installed to the same disk...Any ideas?

Last edited by jackzucker2000; 05/08/22 11:10 AM.
Veteran
Veteran
I wonder if you need to whitelist BIAB in Windows defender? I don't think it can hurt to try it and then remove the exclusion if you don't see improvement.

How can I approve an app in Windows Defender?
Stop Windows Defender from scanning certain files
Open the Windows Defender Security Center.
Click Virus & threat protection.
Click the Viruses and Threats option.
Under Exclusions, click Add or remove exclusions.
Click the Add Exclusion button.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Capture.JPG (19.05 KB, 169 downloads)

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

J
OP Offline
J
Thanks, I whitelisted the entire folder. No change. Is there a temporary folder option that can be pointed to an SSD?

Originally Posted By: MusicStudent
I wonder if you need to whitelist BIAB in Windows defender? I don't think it can hurt to try it and then remove the exclusion if you don't see improvement.

How can I approve an app in Windows Defender?
Stop Windows Defender from scanning certain files
Open the Windows Defender Security Center.
Click Virus & threat protection.
Click the Viruses and Threats option.
Under Exclusions, click Add or remove exclusions.
Click the Add Exclusion button.

J
OP Offline
J
i also tried whitelisting the process itself. Again, no change.

Veteran
Veteran
I suggest you call PG Music Support, or do Live chat, tomorrow.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
Dare I suggest you find and push the Return to Factory Settings Button? confused Last time I did that, I got yelled at. cry

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Veteran
Veteran
That can’t hurt to try.

What caused the crash, and how did you fix it? Is this the same hard drive? Reformatted? Checked for errors (bad sectors)? Is your anti-virus running full blast to check for errors?

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
40 choruses of 32 bar length?

Do you mean 4 choruses?

Keith

Last edited by Keith44; 05/08/22 04:21 PM.
Veteran
Veteran
Keith, I too assumed that was a typo.

Veteran
Veteran
There are two settings that can cause BIAB to take a long time to generate Realtracks. This would be noticeable if a song is 40 choruses at 32 bars per chorus (a total of 1280 bars).

1) Go into Realtrack preferences and check that "Speed up generation of Realtracks" is activated.

2) Right click on the chordsheet, select "Song Settings" and make sure that the option for "This song has playback problems, disable fast generation" is not active.

These options may help.

Regards,
Noel

P.S. There is also an option in Realtrack preferences where it's possible to select the quality of "Tempo/Pitch Stretching". If this is set to "High", it will slow things down a little but not to the extent that you are experiencing.

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: jackzucker2000
In my case, I reinstalled BIAB Version 2021 (845) after a disk crash.

I have a song using _JPLMBOS.STY that is 40 choruses of 32 bar length. Prior to the crash It used to take 15s-20s to generate and now it takes 3-4 minutes. Installed to the same disk...Any ideas?

With the 255 bar limit, it definitely cannot be 40 choruses crazy

There is a setting you could check under Song Settings:

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
2022-05-09_17-56-31.jpg (92.35 KB, 129 downloads)

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
J
Expert
Expert
J
I loaded up the style and the demo song and changed the choruses to 40.

Since there are multiple choices in the demo song, I made sure the demo style had the guitar 2 solo track and clicked generate.

The non-solo portion generated in about 13 seconds and the solo portion took 2:14 to generate for a total of 2:27 to complete.

I then closed BIAB, cleared my temp files and this time loaded the demo song WITHOUT the solo track and it took 17 seconds to generate and play the entire song.

I would say that if you have 40 choruses of soloing to generate, that will indeed add quite a bit of processing time to complete.

2022 version with latest patch on an SSD drive.

BIAB2024
Windows 10 Pro
WA6NCB
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: jcland
I loaded up the style and the demo song and changed the choruses to 40.

Out of interest, how long does the song play for (how many choruses) before it stops playing? Presuming 32 bars per chorus, does it play 1,280 bars?

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Veteran
Veteran
Trev,

My understanding is that the "Number of choruses" is a way around the 255 bar limitation. I think this happens because each chorus is exactly the same and the song doesn't have to generate new material for each bar. I've always visualized that during the generation process, each chorus is stitched onto the previous one to make a kind of audio patchwork quilt. To be honest, though, I've never tried it. I could well be wrong.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
J
Expert
Expert
J
It took 38 minutes to play and it did play all 40 choruses with 32 bars.

Someone else needs to try 40 choruses with 255 bars. I'm done with it. laugh

Last edited by jcland; 05/09/22 04:56 PM.

BIAB2024
Windows 10 Pro
WA6NCB
Journeyman
Journeyman
It took 38 minutes to play and it did play all 40 choruses with 32 bars.

Someone else needs to try 40 choruses with 255 bars. I'm done with it. laugh

Uh, no thanks. I guess if you wanted to get 38 minutes of practice time in playing the same chord progression over and over this would be a good idea. I imagine you would know the song quite well by the end of that!!

My wife asked if I had seen the dog bowl. I told her I didn't even know he could.
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Noel96
Trev,

My understanding is that the "Number of choruses" is a way around the 255 bar limitation. I think this happens because each chorus is exactly the same and the song doesn't have to generate new material for each bar. I've always visualized that during the generation process, each chorus is stitched onto the previous one to make a kind of audio patchwork quilt. To be honest, though, I've never tried it. I could well be wrong.

Regards,
Noel
This is a revelation, that it actually works to play for 38 minutes.

To your question, I haven't tried this either, but I would expect a few differences. For example, if you had the setting on for Vary the Feel in the Middle Choruses (or whatever like that it's called), then you would have at least two choruses that would be different, or in other words 80 unique measures out of the 255 limit. And I'm assuming the limit is still there, or it would have been quite a major announcement. Something to experiment with, I guess.

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley

This is a revelation, that it actually works to play for 38 minutes.

This goes against ALL conventional wisdom (255 max!) regarding how may bars can be played over and over in BIAB.

J
Expert
Expert
J
I actually started the song and turned the volume all the way down and just periodically look at it. Not going to listen to that for 3/4 of a hour.

BIAB2024
Windows 10 Pro
WA6NCB
Veteran
Veteran
Did you have the song looped? If so, would you have noticed if you weren’t spending those full 38 minutes listening? I’m not trying to be cute here; it’s a genuine question since I’m still trying to figure out what really happens.

J
Expert
Expert
J
Matt: I loaded the style and demo song and made sure it had a solo track. I then generated the song, listened for about 5 min and then turned the volume down but not all the way so I had some background music playing. I checked the progress every so often and when it got up to chorus 37 I watched it play to the end. I did not have the looping feature on so when the song reached the end of chorus 40, it stopped as expected. Nothing unusual about the playing except the abnormally long duration due to the # of choruses chosen.

The Vary Style In Middle Choruses was on so I would assume it did that also.

Bottom line, everything worked as expected.

BIAB2024
Windows 10 Pro
WA6NCB
J
Expert
Expert
J
Interesting:

Just took the same song, did a copy and paste so it reached the maximum of 255 measures and 40 choruses.

I also turned OFF the fast generate option so it was forced to generate the entirety all of the RealTracks before playing.

After clicking on the Generate button, using a stopwatch, it took 4:38 to generate the song and start playing.

BUT!!!!!!

The chorus number dropped down to 7 from 40 and it will not let me increase it.

Looks like the 40 chorus and 255 measure limit does not apply in this case.

The question of course is, WHY

biab.jpg (346.23 KB, 119 downloads)

BIAB2024
Windows 10 Pro
WA6NCB
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
This might help to explain why generating a song of that length might take a while or even may not be possible: if you were to unfold a song that has 40 choruses with each chorus containing 255 measures, that'd be approximately 10,200 total bars you'd be asking Band-in-a-Box to play and generate and then render if exporting to an audio file. For best performance, the max number of measures you can have would be 255. You may start to experience issues after that with playback or generation, and potentially in other ways too.

That said, I tried to set it to 255 at 40 choruses just to test it, and it did change to 7 immediately after I tried picking 40. As Band-in-a-Box's max is 255, I'm not surprised that a song created at all these maxes may not work as it's basically being asked to generate over 10k bars. I will ask the developers about expected behaviours when pushing the program, but I don't suspect this is a bug so much as a program limitation, but I'll share what I find out!

Cheers,
Ember
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Okay, so I actually heard back pretty quickly:

So 255 bars is the max of what you can set in the program, but the maximum linear amount of bars you can have including repeats and choruses is 2000. To that end, what you can set Band-in-a-Box to depends on the math. The program cannot do 40 choruses of 255 because it far exceeds that 2000 limit. You could, however, do 40 choruses of 50 bars because this would equal 2000. The program when you enter 255 bars is putting in that limit of 7 because 7 choruses of 255 = 1785 bars. Setting it to 8 choruses of 255 would push it over 2000 by about 40 measures.

We hope this helps!

Cheers,
Ember
Veteran
Veteran
Ember, thank you.

This is serious news. I hope you will announce this in several ways, such as a new FAQ, and a Tip and Trick post, changes in the documentation, etc. I am quite sure most (or maybe even none) of us who have used the program for 30 years knew this way of considering the measure limit.

But before you publish the new limit, may I suggest some more experiments might be in order. In particular, test with a RealTrack set to double-time time base.

Veteran
Veteran
Ember, thank you.

This is serious news. I hope you will announce this in several ways, such as a new FAQ, and a Tip and Trick post, changes in the documentation, etc. I am quite sure most (or maybe even none) of us who have used the program for 30 years knew this way of considering the measure limit.

But before you publish the new limit, may I suggest some more experiments might be in order. In particular, test with a RealTrack set to double-time time base.

Excellent points. I was certainly not aware of these specifications, and as we have found in the past, tracks set to double-time base are presumably limited to half this amount again.

J
Expert
Expert
J
Well I just tried style _CORDIAL.STY which I use in the song, After Your Gone. Originally I had 3 RT's and 1 RD in that song using that style and it had 80 measures. That would equate to 720 bars the BIAB has to generate. Works just fine in that setting.

Using the formula, 2000/80 = 25, I could have a maximum of 25 choruses. Well it only let me do 24 but that was good enough for test purposes.

I then made all the tracks 1/2 time and generated the song again. The result was the song generated with 80 measures with 24 choruses and played at 1/2 time. That was what it should have done.

I then did the same the same thing but set the tracks at Double Time and the result blew me away. Instead of generating the song at Double Time, each time I pressed the Generate & Play button, it opens up my File Browser program in my Song Directory and it wants me to load a style!!!!!

Tried it 2-3 times with different songs that I made and the results are the same. It opens up the File Browser asking me to pick a style.

So......

I then used the same style, _CORDIAL.STY but this time loaded the built in demo song and increased the measures to 64, since mathematically I would not have enough choruses to max it out as the demo song only had 32. Anyways, setting the measures to 64 and the choruses to 31, the song generated and appeared to play just fine at normal time BUT each time, I loose the audio, no sound at all but the song moves along as it appears to play.

Since we are in uncharted territory, I am giving it back to the developers since there appears to be multiple bugs in the program when you approach the max number of measures vs choruses in it's current form.

Bugs I see so far:

1. You cannot go above 2000 measures if the choice of measures and choruses goes above that number.

2. Using a song that YOU made mght cause your file browser program to open if you set the tracks to 1/2 time using the maximum number of measure and chorus combinations.

3. Using a style with the built in demo song might cause you to loose audio when you set the tracks to 1/2 time using the maximum number of measure and chorus combinations.

Comments?

BIAB2024
Windows 10 Pro
WA6NCB
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Ember, thank you.

I can definitely pass this along to the right people for that and see what we can set in motion. smile

Cheers,
Ember
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Comments?

This is good to know and thank you for testing that! I will pass this along as well and make a report for it. Although I will mention that the choruses and bars bit needs to = 2000 total. So if it goes over, it will round down to the nearest possible option. You can see this example with the 7 x 255. While 8 x 255 would have only been over by 40, this wasn't possible because it still exceeded the 2000 limit. So it went down to 7 x 255 because ~1780 was possible while 2040 was not.

Cheers,
Ember
T
T
Limited to 256 measures TOTAL... I am finding songs to be limited to 256 TOTAL MEASURES no matter what I do, when using 1 big chorus or unfolding 3 choruses, etc.

[BIAB 2023 latest build]. When I attempt to add more measures, it defaults to 256. When I unfold songs, they are cut off at 256 measures.
--------------------------------------------------------
Am I understanding the above post incorrectly, or is above stated "2000 measure" limit no longer correct?

Please advise.

Thanks,
-Tom

P.S. When I attempt to get what I need using the 'Song Form Maker' the program simply crashes. [I am attempting to create a 3 verse & 3 chorus song (traditionally speaking), but with 4 or 8 bars difference in the 2nd & 3rd verses. I can use BIAB multi-chorus feature, but how to nix the 4 or 8 bars in the 2nd & 3rd verses [i.e. BIAB 2nd & 3rd "Chorus"] using BIAB alone?]

Last edited by tomcadman; 08/20/23 02:25 PM.

"Most of us go to our grave with our music still inside of us." - Pcom Pete
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: tomcadman
Limited to 256 measures TOTAL... I am finding songs to be limited to 256 TOTAL MEASURES no matter what I do, when using 1 big chorus or unfolding 3 choruses, etc.

[BIAB 2023 latest build]. When I attempt to add more measures, it defaults to 256. When I unfold songs, they are cut off at 256 measures.
--------------------------------------------------------
Am I understanding the above post incorrectly, or is above stated "2000 measure" limit no longer correct?

Please advise.

Thanks,
-Tom

I don't remember this tread from last year, and I don't know what this stuff about 2000 is. 256 is the limit, always has been. grin

OK, I re-read the entire thread. My conclusion is that this issue was never resolved. So we still don't know what exactly is going on here.

Last edited by MusicStudent; 08/20/23 02:21 PM.

T
T
Okay... then I am seeking solution via new post here...

https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=774381#Post774381

-Tom

"Most of us go to our grave with our music still inside of us." - Pcom Pete
Veteran
Veteran
Dan, I think you are correct; I do not recall this being clarified or mentioned again until today.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,578
Posts734,662
Members38,499
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai
38,499 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200