Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Expert
Expert
Hi Nigel,
I sometimes use the "Render Audio File" dialog, with the same settings in your attachment, but usually, I right click on the track I want in the mixer, then left click on "Track Actions" and select "Save Track as a WAV File"
Biab will then render the file and save to my project folder...
I then copy or drag the WAV file into my Cakewalk project...
Then I almost always use a Hi-Pass Filter, Pan, EQ, Compress, Sweeten etc.

Bandcamp
Soundcloud
Win-11; BiaB-2024-latest Beta;
Cakewalk; Melodyne-5; Scaler 2; NI Komplete:
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20

Expert
OP Online Content
Expert
Hi Matt,

And does dragging each track to your DAW solve the problem?

Best Regards
Nigel

Nigel Spiers
Christchurch, New Zealand
info@nzacoustics.com
Veteran
Veteran
I guess I have to say Yes because it works and I’ve continued to do it the ‘old’ way.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Expert
OP Online Content
Expert
Hi Bloc-Head and Matt,

Thanks for your responses.

It is clear that no BIAB user nor PG Music can hear this problem - just me.

So I'll drop the subject.

Best Regards
Nigel

Nigel Spiers
info@nzacoustics.com
T
Apprentice
Apprentice
T
Originally Posted By: NigelSpiers
Hi Bloc-Head and Matt,

Thanks for your responses.

It is clear that no BIAB user nor PG Music can hear this problem - just me.

So I'll drop the subject.

Best Regards
Nigel

Not just you. I've been having this problem for quite sometime. Although, I use the Rendering of the MIX, primarily. The mix sounds very different when listening in BIAB, versus what comes out of the render. I've used ".wav" files and 24bit/48k/320k ".mp3" files, with the same results.

Dull, Muddy, or maybe reduced dynamic range.... I don't know what it is for sure. I generally try to do my mixing in BIAB, but have to generate the track many times to get something close to the mix I want in the Render.

Thought it was just me. (Maybe it is!)

Veteran
Veteran
I recommend you stay with it.

I also think we need someone who knows Reaper well. Is there some setting in Reaper that could reduce the sample or bit rates of audio files sent to a project?

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Nigel…
Dunno if i can help. I’m a long time reaps user bloke from day 1..v0.99.
I got q’s.
1..Under X top right hand of reaps main screen..please post back info.
2..What is your sound device , and what are its bit depth and sampling rate ?

I would also ask on reaps forums too.

maybe thunderthud could post same info.

Cheers
om

New Song "PRETTY GIRL" for my wife...Dec 2023
(my vocs....mixed for good earbuds.)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs/prettygirlrbfinalcalfsongsdec2023mp3
(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley

I also think we need someone who knows Reaper well. Is there some setting in Reaper that could reduce the sample or bit rates of audio files sent to a project?

Another long term Reaper guy here. But from the beginning of this thread I have been a bit confused. Seems the tracks are exported dry, no eq and no panning!! Otherwise, I am not aware of any Reaper import feature which would downgraded the full audio. Those guys over there do frequency mapping to verify audio is not adversly impacted by input or output so I don't think the answer is there.

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: MusicStudent
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley

Another long term Reaper guy here. But from the beginning of this thread I have been a bit confused. Seems the tracks are exported dry, no eq and no panning!! Otherwise, I am not aware of any Reaper import feature which would downgraded the full audio. Those guys over there do frequency mapping to verify audio is not adversly impacted by input or output so I don't think the answer is there.
You're no doubt correct, Dan. Yes, I'm really reaching here, since we seem to be collectively stumped.

Expert
OP Online Content
Expert
Hi Guys,

Bingo! - I've found a solution with the help of Google and some Reaper Blogs. It's nothing to do with BIAB - it's a setting in Reaper.

It's quite an odd solution. So I just need to do a little more research on the background of this setting, how and why it does what it does.

I will be back in touch with details of the solution shortly.

Best Regards
Nigel

Nigel Spiers
info@nzacoustics.com
Veteran
Veteran
O Boy, don't make us wait too long as we are dying with an... tis.... i... pa .... grin

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: NigelSpiers
Hi Folks,

After I render a Band In A Box song to my DAW it sounds dull when played back in my DAW. Less treble and more boomy - especially the Bass.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for your help.

Best Regards
Nigel

You're not doing anything wrong. I get the same thing. BUT....The honest truth is that you want your tracks to sound plain vanilla in the beginning. All that matters is that you have a good signal strength and it is what you want musically. You don't want tracks coming in with built in compression or verb, or anything else. You're going to add that in the mixing process of you need it.

So, my simple solution is this. I use Ozone, and I use some other EQ and reverb that's default in my DAW, Sonar. Ozone is a mastering suite with EQ, reverb, widening, multi-band compression and several other things. It puts the polish on the files. I like it because it has a bunch of very useful presets that get you at least 80% of the way to a really good sounding mix. I like to insert it into my DAW's master buss. Start with it off, hit play, and then turn it on to hear the difference. Every so often I will bypass the FX to see if I'm still on course. As with most plugins...... less is often more, but it's ultimately up to you.

If you don't have Ozone.... go to https://www.izotope.com/en/products/ozone.html and download the 10 day free trial. Be forewarned.... if you do the free trial, you better have the money ready because there's no way once you try it that you will want to be without it. Guaranteed!

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Veteran
Veteran
True enough; +1 for Ozone.

So it might after all be a setting in Reaper? Let us know.

Expert
OP Online Content
Expert
Hi Dan, Matt & Others,

The problem is:

Prefs > Project > Media Item Defaults > Create automatic fade in/out

The default setting is 0:00.010 i.e. a tiny fade in and out on every track.

This setting exists to prevent clicks at the start of media items (ie. when the waveform doesn't start at a zero crossing). So if you reduce it or disable this setting, you'll need to manually check and edit your audio to eliminate clicks when they occur (which you probably do anyway).

This doesn't make sense to me because it is not just the initial transient in a track/media item that sounds dull - it is every note.

The Solution is:

I set this to 0:00.000 in my Reaper System Wide Preferences. (I also set the crossfade to 0:00.000 just in case). Then I closed down and restarted Reaper (to make sure the new preferences were being used).
Then I imported some BIAB Wav (Media) files and Bingo - they are absolutely identical to when you listen to the same tracks in BIAB.

For me the improvement in sound quality was most evident in two handed piano tracks because Pianos have more harmonics than most other instruments.

I then went ahead and created a mix in Reaper and Boy - it was just so much quicker and easier. This is because it's easy to dull an instrument in Reaper (or any DAW) but completely recovering lost highs and mids is simply not possible. Exactly the same as a photo with blown highlights.

I hope this helps.

NB - Herb - Yes I use Ozone and most other Izotope products at various stages of mixing and mastering - great software!

Best Regards
Nigel

Last edited by NigelSpiers; 05/15/22 04:44 PM.

Nigel Spiers
info@nzacoustics.com
Veteran
Veteran
Nigel,

Thanks for the update. I've been closely following this thread. I'm so glad you persisted in your investigation until you found a solution.

Many DAWs enable their version of "automatic crossfade" by default. That means many Band-in-a-Box users may be encountering the same issue you experienced but may not even realize it. You've likely helped many more users than you realize.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Veteran
Veteran
Nigel,
you're right - it makes no sense at all BUT if it works it works...being constantly modified Reaper has some oddities to be sure.
I've been pondering whether to stop the auto fade in for a couple of months now and it can cause slight level fluctuations in sensitive sustained notes when editing.
I'll do it today. THANKS.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
Veteran
Veteran
I'm just amazed Reaper would have such a hazard. It was the only thing that made any sense.

I'm glad for many others that you stuck with this, Nigel.

P
Veteran
Veteran
P
When I inject the Biab tracks into Reaper it don't put in any crossfades where there is item overlap, but if I move it then it will add auto crossfade, not sure where you would have these with a consolidated wav file unless you have rendered the section separately. There is only a tiny fade in out added to an item to turn the volume down at that point, this should not effect the tone of the rest of the wav file.
There are scripts/actions to automatically remove fades/crossfades from all items.

Bigger

Expert
OP Online Content
Expert
Hi,

"There is only a tiny fade in out added to an item to turn the volume down at that point, this should not effect the tone of the rest of the wav file."

Yes weird - but true!

Best Regards
Nigel

Nigel Spiers
info@nzacoustics.com
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
If you can render a track that stands out with the fade in/out and render one without them and post it in the bug forum
https://forum.cockos.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,391
Posts732,462
Members38,440
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi, mmpartee
38,439 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195