Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Just Say The Word

Ray sent the lyric, melody suggestions and demos in several genres for Janice to select from. She chose the jazz version to the dismay of Ray and Bud smile each of whom had not worked with jazz productions … and via a deft move on Ray’s behalf Bud ended up with the mix laugh Thanks to our music partner Peter for joining in on guitar and helping on the trumpet bits. Comments are welcomed and we hope that you might find it of interest. Thanks for your time! And as always thanks to PG Music for making it all possible.

Janice: lead / harmony / call back vocals, melody and vocal arrangement
Ray: lyric, progression, melody, mix counsel and arrangement
Peter: guitar solo / fills, trumpet arrangement and mix counsel
Bud: mix, mastering and photo

Lyrics on SoundCloud.

Vocals: Rodes NT1 > Scarlett 212 interface > Izotope Nectar

Bass: RealTrack 1394 Acoustic, Jazz Sw > Waves Bass Rider > Izotope Neutron 3
“In twos” and walking style comped from several RT regenerations.

Drums: RealDrums JazzSwingDannyBrushes > Waves CLA Drums

Piano: RealTrack 2192 Acoustic, Rhythm EZListening Sw > Waves CLA Unplugged > Izotope Ozone Imager

Guitar rhythm: RealTrack 1984 Acoustic, Rhythm EZListening Sw 085 > Waves CLA Unplugged

Trumpet: RealTrack 494 Jazz Ballad Sw 085 > Logic Pro X Reverb
(Pitch editing and note stretching to enhance segues)

Logic Pro X: mix and mastering
Mastering chain: Ozone Dynamic EQ > Ozone Imager > Ozone Maximizer > Ozone Tonal Balance 2 > Logic Pro X Loudness Meter

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Thanks Bud, Janice's excellent melody, stunning vocal and swing added to Peter's deft guitar and your excellent listening, selections and mixing, (not to mention problem solving), make this a silk purse.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I was looking for a good translation of the word "laid back" a couple of weeks ago. And I thought it was a nice idea to go old school and pick up one of the old dictionaries in our cupboard.
Guess what? It said: "Just say the word" by J&B grin

Another job done extremely well.
I like the clean jazz solo Peter!

Rob

We are Rob Meulman and Anne-Marie Bovenkamp from The Netherlands.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1gsdNLE7_Gy8qavoOplQow/videos
http://rnam.net/

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: rayc
Thanks Bud, Janice's excellent melody, stunning vocal and swing added to Peter's deft guitar and your excellent listening, selections and mixing, (not to mention problem solving), make this a silk purse.

Thanks Ray, that is all genuinely appreciated and I gotta say that your lyric immediately drew Janice in and I knew quickly she wanted to do this version. So thank you!

Bud

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: RnAM
I was looking for a good translation of the word "laid back" a couple of weeks ago. And I thought it was a nice idea to go old school and pick up one of the old dictionaries in our cupboard.
Guess what? It said: "Just say the word" by J&B grin

Another job done extremely well.
I like the clean jazz solo Peter!

Rob

Thank you Rob. We liked that solo also!

J&B

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
What a great collaboration. Janice, what a wonderful interpretation of those crafty lyrics Ray sent. The melody is really cool over those changes, and the harmony is in the Goldilocks realm of Just Right. Peter, for my ears the drummer defines the feel, but the guitar is the magic that makes it all work, and you never fail in that regard. I really like the use of the trumpet in this, too. Bud, your mastery of the mixing is second to none.

Enjoy whatever happens!
marty

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@babumusic51
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/marty-straub
and https://soundcloud.com/babumusic-5080285
Band in a Box, Reaper, Cakewalk, Ozone 11
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Hello Janice, Bud, Ray and Peter
Great song in every way
Although this is not my music,
I am really impressed
Congratulations to ALL !!!
The artwork has become excellent
Many greetings
Andi ;-)

Last edited by PROJECT M; 05/13/22 05:51 AM.
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: BabuMusic
What a great collaboration. Janice, what a wonderful interpretation of those crafty lyrics Ray sent. The melody is really cool over those changes, and the harmony is in the Goldilocks realm of Just Right. Peter, for my ears the drummer defines the feel, but the guitar is the magic that makes it all work, and you never fail in that regard. I really like the use of the trumpet in this, too. Bud, your mastery of the mixing is second to none.

That is all very generous of you Marty and most kind to us Jazz neophytes.

Nothing like steppin’ off the proverbial cliff on occasion.

Thank you!

J&B

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Interesting listen - it had the general outlines of a pop song format, but...

I'm not sure "chromatic" is the word I'm looking for, but there are some interesting zigs instead of zags with both the chords and the melodic line.

Janice's languid delivery is perfect as always, as is the harmonies.

And a clean mix, as expected.

Cool! smile

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: PROJECT M
Hello Janice, Bud, Ray and Peter
Great song in every way
Although this is not my music,
I am really impressed
Congratulations to ALL !!!
The artwork has become excellent
Many greetings
Andi ;-)

Thank you Andi!

J&B

User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Hi, very impressive presentation. nice photograph as a start and a perfect vocal with nice harmonies. Laid-back came to my mind, but I wasn't the only one with that feeling. I liked the arrangement and the mix. I started to listen on my tablet but this nice collaboration deserved mij home hifi.

Rob de Klerk, Dutch singer-songwriter
https://www.robdeklerk.nl

Biab 2023, Cakewalk, N.I. Komplete 14, Win 10,64, Ozone 9 elements suite, Presonus studio 24c
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
This was an excellent collaboration.
The lyrics, playing, backing-tracks, and especially the vocals... all top shelf. Very impressive.

Bandcamp
Soundcloud
Win-11; BiaB-2024-latest Beta;
Cakewalk; Melodyne-5; Scaler 2; NI Komplete:
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Loved this tune. Super vocal Janice. Perfect for the genre. Excellent lyric and melody Ray. Trumpet was a cool add. Excellent guitar work Peter. Perfect production, mix and master Bud. Well done

Scott Collingwood
https://soundcloud.com/scottt709
https://soundcloud.com/spiritlevel-ca
https://www.youtube.com/@SpiritLevel-ge3hm/
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: dcuny
Interesting listen - it had the general outlines of a pop song format, but...

I'm not sure "chromatic" is the word I'm looking for, but there are some interesting zigs instead of zags with both the chords and the melodic line.

Janice's languid delivery is perfect as always, as is the harmonies.

And a clean mix, as expected.

Cool! smile

Well we hope zigs are as good as zags! smile
Every aspect of this venture into jazz world has been interesting and we are glad you thought it was cool … which is a positive word indeed to apply to a jazz tune.

Thanks,
J&B

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
J&B, Ray, Peter,

Very unusual tune. I listened to it on several occasions to fully appreciate it. While it is free flowing, I can only imagine how much effort it took to reach from point A to Soundcloud. Almost experimental. Some music is just good music, this one is different. It makes you think in a different direction. You all should be proud of this. Excellent collaboration + teamwork! Enjoyed it and thank you for sharing.

Misha.

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
WOW!!! The harmonies!!! This song is wonderful from so many perspectives, but the harmonies take it really over the top.

Ray, Peter and Bud ... congratulations in all of your respective "backstage work". It is so professionally done, there's no "chink in the armour". A special nod to Ray, for the lyrics, to Bud for the mix and to Peter - for the guitar, but also for the fun, trumpet moments. As for Janice, what a stellar performance ... stellar even by her usual high standard. It's a joy to listen to a voice with such an elegant tone, at its effortless best.

Congratulations, all ... pat yourselves on the back, you've done it again.

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: rodipoet
Hi, very impressive presentation. nice photograph as a start and a perfect vocal with nice harmonies. Laid-back came to my mind, but I wasn't the only one with that feeling. I liked the arrangement and the mix. I started to listen on my tablet but this nice collaboration deserved mij home hifi.

We’re glad it worked for you and that it made the home system!
And big thanks for mentioning the vocals and the photo.

J&B

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Janice, Bud, Ray and Peter,

The list of names of participants is growing to interesting proportions!
But they did their utmost to please Janice and you can hear that by the way she sings like a lark, with a whole bunch of nightingales for the harmonies!
And on what lyrics, not only huge in length but also in content! Ray, you did a wonderful thing on that! Now I understand why you quit talking to me last week... wink

It's a very nice, but also difficult song on certain parts. And the song itself has a very nice melody, sometimes not Jazzy at all and even a bit joyful, although the lyrics are the opposite.

I just say...

Hans

Hans Berkhout
(Birchwood)
https://soundcloud.com/user-296497130
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
This is so crystal. What a fine job on the mix.

Good work from everyone on this. As always nice vox and harmonies.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Ray, Janice, Bud, Peter...

A truly unique song and sound. Cool collaboration.
There were a number of Randy-Newman-isms - the piano/horn mix, the unpredictable melody...
An arrangement/production that really perks up the ears.

Cool vocals. (needless to say)

Excellent mix.

Good work by all!!

Will be back to listen again.

fj

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,394
Posts732,484
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195