Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#717243 - 05/17/22 02:30 PM [User Showcase] Fun with Band-in-a-Box® - A Reunion Event: "Life Is Hard"
Loc: Victoria, BC
Callie - PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

Loc: Victoria, BC
Getting together and playing music and writing songs is a wonderful way to spend some free time!

Recently, a few of our Forum members did just that... and they made a video to prove it!

Check out what Charlie Fogle, Eddie, Herb, Pat Marr, and David Snyder got up to - and how they did it:

...hopefully it inspires you to keep the fun in making music!

https://youtu.be/qt1fXmOy9tc?rel=0

#717265 - 05/17/22 07:51 PM [User Showcase] Re: Fun with Band-in-a-Box® - A Reunion Event: "Life Is Hard" [Re: Callie - PG Music]
Loc: South Africa
JoanneCooper Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Africa
Just saw this on the Facebook group! What an awesome project! Such fun

#717291 - 05/18/22 08:03 AM [User Showcase] Re: Fun with Band-in-a-Box® - A Reunion Event: "Life Is Hard" [Re: Callie - PG Music]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

This project was certainly a lot of fun and a lot of work. Indeed, Everyone showed up here at my farm in central NC and the location of Kill Branch Studio for a day of just getting to know each other better in person, and playing some music and hanging out in the woods and on the farm. Several folks drove a considerable distance to be here. We all had a good time. I think, and the others will correct me if I'm wrong.... but the main instigator of this video and the song was David. So blame him as it's all mostly his fault. The rest of us were to one degree or another, willing accomplices. Some more..... some less.

With the disclaimers out of the way.....

Let me give you some of the background specifics of the music.

There is a total of 19 tracks in this project.

7 tracks are vocal tracks.

6 tracks are live guitar tracks.

The band is:

Dave on lead vocals, background vocals, and guitar.
Herb on bridge lead vocal, background vocals, and guitars.
Eddie on background vocals
Pat on Background vocals
Charlie on background vocals

Glen Duncan on fiddle RT #1754
Rob Ickes on Dobro RT #2040
Gene Rabbai on Hammond B3 RT #686
John Jarvis on Piano RT #2046
Tobin Frank on Bass RT #684
Ricky Lawson on Drums RT # NTN127

Style is Groovy Piano Pop @ 110bpm

Composed in Band in a Box, Real tracks rendered in Real Band, and mixed in Sonar.

Kudos to Eddie on the work he did putting all the video segments together into a cohesive, watchable, video.

The individual artists worked remotely after we had our reunion day and writing/recording session. The studio version was recorded in each participant's
home studio and sent to be mixed at Kill Branch Studio. All sorts of black box magic was applied and the result was the song you heard in the video.

Band in a Box and Real Band played a huge part in being able to do this song the way you hear it.

THANKS PG MUSIC!

Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.

As the sword chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer.

#717295 - 05/18/22 09:35 AM [User Showcase] Re: Fun with Band-in-a-Box® - A Reunion Event: "Life Is Hard" [Re: Callie - PG Music]
Loc: St. Louis, MO. USA
sslechta Offline
Veteran

Love this! Thanks everyone for putting that together. I'm really sad that I couldn't be there, it looked really fun.

Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
We all had a good time. I think, and the others will correct me if I'm wrong.... but the main instigator of this video and the song was David. So blame him as it's all mostly his fault.

I would concur based on what I saw. I did like his voice to the song, I get the Randy Newman/Bob Dylan vibe that I've heard on his other songs.

I really liked that everyone was able to jump in on the background vocals. This helped seal the whole song together. Guitar playing by all real and BIAB guitars was mixed really nice too. Great work guys!

Hope to see you next year!

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory

#717296 - 05/18/22 11:06 AM [User Showcase] Re: Fun with Band-in-a-Box® - A Reunion Event: "Life Is Hard" [Re: Callie - PG Music]
Loc: New York
rsdean Offline
Veteran

Loc: New York
Now that was awesome! Kind of like a 2020s version of the Traveling Wilburys.

Well done and much enjoyed.

Bob

#717299 - 05/18/22 12:09 PM [User Showcase] Re: Fun with Band-in-a-Box® - A Reunion Event: "Life Is Hard" [Re: Callie - PG Music]
Loc: Florida
etcjoe Offline
Journeyman

Well, I enjoyed that. Great job by the all-stars!

#717303 - 05/18/22 12:18 PM [User Showcase] Re: Fun with Band-in-a-Box® - A Reunion Event: "Life Is Hard" [Re: Callie - PG Music]
Loc: North Carolina
David Snyder Offline
Veteran

Loc: North Carolina
Hey Everybody,

We had a stone-cold blast doing this, and it was done with a laughing spirit, but also a heart full of gratitude for our numerous Band-in-a-Box forum friends and for the PG Music team members, who have done so much for so many people.

There is one thing Band-in-a-Box enables that is truly priceless and I will explain it with a story.

When I started as a Regional Coordinator with the Nashville Songwriters Association about 10 years ago (about the same time period Herb turned me on to BIAB) a leader of that prestigious organization took me aside in Nashville, sat me down, looked me in the eye, and uttered these words:

"Dave, here at Nashville Songwriters, we like to say there are 5 secrets to becoming a better songwriter.

"1. Collaboration.

"2. Collaboration.

"3. Collaboration.

"4. Collaboration.

and finally, and it may come as a surprise,

"5. Collaboration."

The collaboration on this forum is simply remarkable, and BIAB is the great enabler of so much of that.

I am a huge fan of this product and this community.

And yeah, we had fun.

smile

Can't wait 'til next year!!

#717306 - 05/18/22 12:46 PM [User Showcase] Re: Fun with Band-in-a-Box® - A Reunion Event: "Life Is Hard" [Re: Callie - PG Music]
Loc: Wauconda
MusicStudent Offline
Veteran

Loc: Wauconda
Simply super guys. Good for ya all.

#717311 - 05/18/22 02:20 PM [User Showcase] Re: Fun with Band-in-a-Box® - A Reunion Event: "Life Is Hard" [Re: Callie - PG Music]
Loc: Akron, Oh
eddie1261 Offline
Veteran

My dog had his first test of extended off-leash time and I was pleased to see how he stayed near by and didn't get distracted and wander off. We were busy doing our thing for maybe what, 4 hours, and the dog pretty much laid on the ground outside of where he knew I was, making short trips to the water bowl and to visit with other people who were around, but always returning to the place he knew the guy who feeds him was sitting. There were a few scenes we had to do a second take on, some discussion of what the next segment needed to include, and things like that, so that particular day was a fairly intense day. I had to shoot some establishing footage, and enough drone shots to be able to have them for the "dead spots" where there was really no action to match the audio.

As the video assembly went on I vacillated between "WHY did I say I would do this" and "Man this is a great opportunity for me because I am learning so much about Vegas Pro". I won't bore you with the details other than to say there was a LOT of stitching, editing, stretching the tiles in the "how to assemble a song" section, syncing things to the audio... But I will say that the learning angle made it all worth while for me. Everybody had their role and did them well. The conceptual and writing side, the technical/audio side, the video side...

At the core though was the opportunity to meet people who had in the past contributed parts for my songs and offered advice in the forums. We would be remiss is we didn't make sure to point out that Jim Foley was 100% in on the concept but had some personal level things come up that prevented him from physically contributing. We all felt his presence as we worked though. In fact I think he stepped on my toe once! And maybe helped keep my dog close by. All in all, I'd do this again without as much as a second thought. Good ol' bunch of good ol' boys!

#717317 - 05/18/22 03:56 PM [User Showcase] Re: Fun with Band-in-a-Box® - A Reunion Event: "Life Is Hard" [Re: Callie - PG Music]
Loc: Mi., USA
rharv Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mi., USA
A. nice job
B. looks like a lot of fun
C. Nice setting
4. What a Jack a$$ way to end it <grin> (that's all I got)

and lastly, that looked like a lot of fun and nice job.

.. oh, one more thing for the PG web team; add "?rel=0" to the end of the embed link so when it ends it is showing appropriate next videos previews (minus the quotes of course).

Lots of good work crammed into this. Would have been fun to participate.

#717318 - 05/18/22 03:59 PM [User Showcase] Re: Fun with Band-in-a-Box® - A Reunion Event: "Life Is Hard" [Re: Callie - PG Music]
sslechta Offline
Veteran

.....and it wasn't your fault, it was Dave's.

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory

#717322 - 05/18/22 04:46 PM [User Showcase] Re: Fun with Band-in-a-Box® - A Reunion Event: "Life Is Hard" [Re: Callie - PG Music]
Loc: Iceland
Icelander Offline
Veteran

Loc: Iceland
You guys are so weird - but luckily I like weird cool

p.s. With David's seriously exaggerated speaking accent, I was half-disappointed there wasn't a single "ye-haw!" in there at some point or another grin

#717341 - 05/18/22 08:31 PM [User Showcase] Re: Fun with Band-in-a-Box® - A Reunion Event: "Life Is Hard" [Re: Callie - PG Music]
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
AudioTrack Offline
Veteran

Classic write.

"And the Yank who drove, with a trailer and a dog, to escape the snow'. I'm still smiling.... grin

And everyone was in correct uniform. Nice touch.

Great effort, everyone. Y'all should be on stage.
BIAB & RB2022 Win.(Audiophile), SonarPlatinum, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, SynthogyIvory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer ActiveMonitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones

#717344 - 05/18/22 08:48 PM [User Showcase] Re: Fun with Band-in-a-Box® - A Reunion Event: "Life Is Hard" [Re: Callie - PG Music]
Loc: Cooran Queensland Australia
rayc Offline
Veteran

Loc: Cooran Queensland Australia
Nice Bob Wilbury impression David.
Fun video.

#717354 - 05/19/22 02:40 AM [User Showcase] Re: Fun with Band-in-a-Box® - A Reunion Event: "Life Is Hard" [Re: Callie - PG Music]
Loc: Ontario, Canada
BlueAttitude Offline
Veteran

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Well, that was fun!

Really well done everyone, very much enjoyed.

#717364 - 05/19/22 05:36 AM [User Showcase] Re: Fun with Band-in-a-Box® - A Reunion Event: "Life Is Hard" [Re: Callie - PG Music]
Loc: Springfield, MO
jcland Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Springfield, MO
Man that was well worth the 14 minutes spent watching it.

Nailed the Bob Dylan voice down pat! He can take some lessons on song writing from you guys.

Hope it goes Quadruple Platinum before you guys head out on the BIAB Reunion World Tour.

Heard you guys were going to play the Pepsi Center in Denver...or was that the Pepsi Machine down at Gus's Gas Station?

#717365 - 05/19/22 05:59 AM [User Showcase] Re: Fun with Band-in-a-Box® - A Reunion Event: "Life Is Hard" [Re: Callie - PG Music]
eddie1261 Offline
Veteran

JC, we are holding out for a gig at The Enormodome. Tour bus is being painted right now. At Gus's Gas and Grocery.

Edited by eddie1261 (05/19/22 05:59 AM)

#717367 - 05/19/22 06:15 AM [User Showcase] Re: Fun with Band-in-a-Box® - A Reunion Event: "Life Is Hard" [Re: Callie - PG Music]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Looks like y'all had fun...

#717369 - 05/19/22 06:32 AM [User Showcase] Re: Fun with Band-in-a-Box® - A Reunion Event: "Life Is Hard" [Re: Callie - PG Music]
eddie1261 Offline
Veteran

It's hard to say how much fun, Floyd. The way the day flowed, the laughter all day long, the comfort level of where we were at... it was all great. This mattered to me personally on a couple of levels. The main one is that this kind of event is the kind of thing I have to force myself to attend. I deal with PTSD, and Bud may weigh in here to note that PTSD can manifest itself in many ways. With me it has affected me in a way that I am always "on guard". I am not comfortable in crowds, so I don't go to concerts, movies, bars... When I do make myself go to a bar to see a songwriter, I stay one set and leave because being in even small crowds make me nervous and anxious. I am an extreme loner who, at almost 71, has a grand total of 4 people I feel correct to call friend. With these guys it was different. THESE guys... I was comfortable and at ease all day. The personalities involved, while varied, were such that I was not the least bit uncomfortable. Herb was an extremely gracious host. Charlie is funny as hell. Dave is both bombastic and gregarious. Pat, an introvert like me, was wide open and also very funny. It truly felt like a group I have known my whole life. I was truly grateful to be involved in this from the personal level as much as the musical level.

The song flowed from everybody and it was collaboration in the purest form. Herb did a large part of the writing. Dave added some tweaks. I put in the part about being the one who escaped winter and driving from Ohio. Charlie's scene in the rocking chair was great. It was like sitting at grandpa's knee learning about life.

Great day all around!

#717377 - 05/19/22 08:05 AM [User Showcase] Re: Fun with Band-in-a-Box® - A Reunion Event: "Life Is Hard" [Re: eddie1261]
AudioTrack Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: eddie1261
.... I put in the part about being the one who escaped winter and driving from Ohio.

Eddie, was that you? I never would have guessed wink

Ha Ha, a great collaboration. Herb provided the perfect setting (thanks), and you guys all landed on your feet (and in uniform, so some planning was clearly involved).

Top show. No question.
BIAB & RB2022 Win.(Audiophile), SonarPlatinum, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, SynthogyIvory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer ActiveMonitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

PG Music News
Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2023 for Windows® Boot Camp: Working with the Newest Features

Take a look at our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2023 for Windows® Boot Camp: Working with the Newest Features

In this video, we demonstrate how to use some of the newest features added with Band-in-a-Box® 2023, including Partial Re-Generation, Undo Track/Song Regeneration, Playable RealTracks, Master Track Automation, and more!

Watch: Band-in-a-Box® 2023 for Windows® Boot Camp: Working with the Newest Features

The Band-in-a-Box® 2023 DAW Plugin Version 5.0 is Here!

There are over 40 enhancements to the Band-in-a-Box® 2023 for Windows DAW Plugin Version 5.0, including Drum Stems (separate tracks from the different microphones used during the actual recording sessions), 4 color schemes to choose from, enhanced chord settings, improved undo/redo operation, "Rebuild StylePicker" notification whenever rebuild is required, EZ RealTracks/RealDrums Folder Locations dialog and much more!

The DAW Plugin Version 5.0 is included with all Band-in-a-Box® 2023 for Windows orders - and our 2023 upgrades are ON SALE until December 31st! Until then, save up to 50% - upgrade for as little as $49!

Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available.

If you need any help deciding which package is the best option for you, just let us know. We are here to help!

Band-in-a-Box® 2023 Videos - One-Stop Shopping!

With the release of Band-in-a-Box® 2023 for Windows, we're creating videos summarizing the new features, explaining new features in detail, and showcasing the new Add-ons!

Whether it's a summary of the new features, demonstrations of the 222 new RealTracks, information on the 2023 49-PAK, demonstrations of our new XPro Styles PAK 4 and Xtra Styles PAKs 14 & 15, or detailed tutorials for other Band-in-a-Box® 2023 features, we have you covered!

Reference this forum post for One-Stop Shopping of our Band-in-a-Box® 2023 Videos - we will be updating this post as more videos are added!

RealBand 2023 is Here!

Just released - RealBand 2023!

There are over 30 new features to RealBand 2023, including RealChart generation for RealDrums, MIDI Vocoder and Fix Tuning modes for Audio Harmonies, MicroChords (up to 4 chords per beat), RealDrum Stems support, Playable RealTracks to customize the RealTracks performances by adding your own notes, Reverse Audio Effects, easy Tab key navigation on the Chords Window, smoother mouse wheel operation on the Tracks Window, the EZ RealTracks/RealDrums folder locations dialog, and much more!

RealBand 2023 is included with all Band-in-a-Box® 2023 for Windows orders - and our 2023 upgrades are ON SALE until December 31st! Until then, save up to 50% - upgrade for as little as $49!

Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available.

If you need any help deciding which package is the best option for you, just let us know. We are here to help!

Band-in-a-Box® 2023 for Windows is here - and it's on SALE!

Band-in-a-Box® 2023 for Windows is here, and it includes over 70 new features and an amazing collection of new content, including 222 RealTracks (20 more than we've released in previous versions), new RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Song with Vocals" Artist Performances, XPro Styles PAK 4, Xtra Styles PAK 14 & 15, Playable RealTracks Set 2, Playable RealDrums Set 1, 2 new sets of "RealDrums Stems," and more!

We're having a SALE on Band-in-a-Box® 2023 Upgrade purchases until December 31, 2022 - save up to 50% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2022 for Windows Upgrade!

We've packed our Free Bonus PAK & 49-PAK with some amazing Add-ons! The Free Bonus PAK is automatically included with most Band-in-a-Box® for Windows 2023 packages, but for more even more Add-ons (including 60 Unreleased RealTracks!) upgrade it to the 2023 49-PAK for only $49. You can see the full lists of items in each package, and listen to demos here.

Learn more about all the new features in Band-in-a-Box® 2023 for Windows.

Celebrate National Jukebox Day with Band-in-a-Box®!

Happy National Jukebox Day!

You don't need to go out and buy a Jukebox - if you're using Band-in-a-Box®, you already have one!

What does the Band-in-a-Box® Jukebox do?

Using the directory you choose, the Band-in-a-Box® Jukebox will provide you with background music by continuously play the entire list of Band-in-a-Box® SGU files within that folder! There are many options for you to customize your Jukebox experience, including: Only Play song with melodies, Change Melody Instrument, Random order Playback, Audible Count-in, and more! Plus, the Jukebox will continue to play while you use other programs, providing your favorite music for continued background listening pleasure!

To learn more about the Jukebox feature in Band-in-a-Box®, check out Chapter 5 of our online manual, here. Mac too!

Forum Stats
36783 Members
64 Forums
76242 Topics
674088 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
acush, robg, Linus, DWTrue, gypsyJoe2

36783 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
jpettit 235
MusicStudent 192