Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
User Showcase
PG Music Staff
OP Offline
PG Music Staff
Getting together and playing music and writing songs is a wonderful way to spend some free time!

Recently, a few of our Forum members did just that... and they made a video to prove it!

Check out what Charlie Fogle, Eddie, Herb, Pat Marr, and David Snyder got up to - and how they did it:

...hopefully it inspires you to keep the fun in making music!

https://youtu.be/qt1fXmOy9tc?rel=0

Callie
Marketing Representative
PG Music Inc.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Just saw this on the Facebook group! What an awesome project! Such fun

LyricLab A.I assisted chords and lyric app. Export lyrics and import directly into Band-in-a-Box 2024.
https://lyriclab.net
Play-along with songs you know and love, download SGU files
https://playiit.com/
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
This project was certainly a lot of fun and a lot of work. Indeed, Everyone showed up here at my farm in central NC and the location of Kill Branch Studio for a day of just getting to know each other better in person, and playing some music and hanging out in the woods and on the farm. Several folks drove a considerable distance to be here. We all had a good time. I think, and the others will correct me if I'm wrong.... but the main instigator of this video and the song was David. So blame him as it's all mostly his fault. The rest of us were to one degree or another, willing accomplices. Some more..... some less.

With the disclaimers out of the way.....

Let me give you some of the background specifics of the music.

There is a total of 19 tracks in this project.

7 tracks are vocal tracks.

6 tracks are live guitar tracks.

The band is:

Dave on lead vocals, background vocals, and guitar.
Herb on bridge lead vocal, background vocals, and guitars.
Eddie on background vocals
Pat on Background vocals
Charlie on background vocals

Glen Duncan on fiddle RT #1754
Rob Ickes on Dobro RT #2040
Gene Rabbai on Hammond B3 RT #686
John Jarvis on Piano RT #2046
Tobin Frank on Bass RT #684
Ricky Lawson on Drums RT # NTN127

Style is Groovy Piano Pop @ 110bpm

Composed in Band in a Box, Real tracks rendered in Real Band, and mixed in Sonar.

Kudos to Eddie on the work he did putting all the video segments together into a cohesive, watchable, video.

The individual artists worked remotely after we had our reunion day and writing/recording session. The studio version was recorded in each participant's
home studio and sent to be mixed at Kill Branch Studio. All sorts of black box magic was applied and the result was the song you heard in the video.

Band in a Box and Real Band played a huge part in being able to do this song the way you hear it.

THANKS PG MUSIC!

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Love this! Thanks everyone for putting that together. I'm really sad that I couldn't be there, it looked really fun.

Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
We all had a good time. I think, and the others will correct me if I'm wrong.... but the main instigator of this video and the song was David. So blame him as it's all mostly his fault.

I would concur based on what I saw. I did like his voice to the song, I get the Randy Newman/Bob Dylan vibe that I've heard on his other songs.

I really liked that everyone was able to jump in on the background vocals. This helped seal the whole song together. Guitar playing by all real and BIAB guitars was mixed really nice too. Great work guys!

Hope to see you next year!

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Now that was awesome! Kind of like a 2020s version of the Traveling Wilburys.

Well done and much enjoyed.

Bob

User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Well, I enjoyed that. Great job by the all-stars!

My wife asked if I had seen the dog bowl. I told her I didn't even know he could.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hey Everybody,

We had a stone-cold blast doing this, and it was done with a laughing spirit, but also a heart full of gratitude for our numerous Band-in-a-Box forum friends and for the PG Music team members, who have done so much for so many people.

There is one thing Band-in-a-Box enables that is truly priceless and I will explain it with a story.

When I started as a Regional Coordinator with the Nashville Songwriters Association about 10 years ago (about the same time period Herb turned me on to BIAB) a leader of that prestigious organization took me aside in Nashville, sat me down, looked me in the eye, and uttered these words:

"Dave, here at Nashville Songwriters, we like to say there are 5 secrets to becoming a better songwriter.

"1. Collaboration.

"2. Collaboration.

"3. Collaboration.

"4. Collaboration.

and finally, and it may come as a surprise,

"5. Collaboration."

The collaboration on this forum is simply remarkable, and BIAB is the great enabler of so much of that.

I am a huge fan of this product and this community.

And yeah, we had fun.

smile

Can't wait 'til next year!!

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Simply super guys. Good for ya all.

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
My dog had his first test of extended off-leash time and I was pleased to see how he stayed near by and didn't get distracted and wander off. We were busy doing our thing for maybe what, 4 hours, and the dog pretty much laid on the ground outside of where he knew I was, making short trips to the water bowl and to visit with other people who were around, but always returning to the place he knew the guy who feeds him was sitting. There were a few scenes we had to do a second take on, some discussion of what the next segment needed to include, and things like that, so that particular day was a fairly intense day. I had to shoot some establishing footage, and enough drone shots to be able to have them for the "dead spots" where there was really no action to match the audio.

As the video assembly went on I vacillated between "WHY did I say I would do this" and "Man this is a great opportunity for me because I am learning so much about Vegas Pro". I won't bore you with the details other than to say there was a LOT of stitching, editing, stretching the tiles in the "how to assemble a song" section, syncing things to the audio... But I will say that the learning angle made it all worth while for me. Everybody had their role and did them well. The conceptual and writing side, the technical/audio side, the video side...

At the core though was the opportunity to meet people who had in the past contributed parts for my songs and offered advice in the forums. We would be remiss is we didn't make sure to point out that Jim Foley was 100% in on the concept but had some personal level things come up that prevented him from physically contributing. We all felt his presence as we worked though. In fact I think he stepped on my toe once! And maybe helped keep my dog close by. All in all, I'd do this again without as much as a second thought. Good ol' bunch of good ol' boys!

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
A. nice job
B. looks like a lot of fun
C. Nice setting
4. What a Jack a$$ way to end it <grin> (that's all I got)

and lastly, that looked like a lot of fun and nice job.

.. oh, one more thing for the PG web team; add "?rel=0" to the end of the embed link so when it ends it is showing appropriate next videos previews (minus the quotes of course).

Lots of good work crammed into this. Would have been fun to participate.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
.....and it wasn't your fault, it was Dave's.

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
You guys are so weird - but luckily I like weird cool

p.s. With David's seriously exaggerated speaking accent, I was half-disappointed there wasn't a single "ye-haw!" in there at some point or another grin

Thank goodness words aren't knives.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
BBox 2022 Audiophile, Mac Pro Intel, OSX 10.6.8, 800x600 (TV VGA)
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Classic write.

"And the Yank who drove, with a trailer and a dog, to escape the snow'. I'm still smiling.... grin

And everyone was in correct uniform. Nice touch.

Great effort, everyone. Y'all should be on stage.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Nice Bob Wilbury impression David.
Fun video.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Well, that was fun!

Really well done everyone, very much enjoyed.

User Showcase
J
Expert
Expert
J
Man that was well worth the 14 minutes spent watching it.

Nailed the Bob Dylan voice down pat! He can take some lessons on song writing from you guys.

Hope it goes Quadruple Platinum before you guys head out on the BIAB Reunion World Tour.

Heard you guys were going to play the Pepsi Center in Denver...or was that the Pepsi Machine down at Gus's Gas Station?

BIAB2024
Windows 10 Pro
WA6NCB
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
JC, we are holding out for a gig at The Enormodome. Tour bus is being painted right now. At Gus's Gas and Grocery.

Last edited by eddie1261; 05/19/22 02:59 AM.

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Looks like y'all had fun...

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
It's hard to say how much fun, Floyd. The way the day flowed, the laughter all day long, the comfort level of where we were at... it was all great. This mattered to me personally on a couple of levels. The main one is that this kind of event is the kind of thing I have to force myself to attend. I deal with PTSD, and Bud may weigh in here to note that PTSD can manifest itself in many ways. With me it has affected me in a way that I am always "on guard". I am not comfortable in crowds, so I don't go to concerts, movies, bars... When I do make myself go to a bar to see a songwriter, I stay one set and leave because being in even small crowds make me nervous and anxious. I am an extreme loner who, at almost 71, has a grand total of 4 people I feel correct to call friend. With these guys it was different. THESE guys... I was comfortable and at ease all day. The personalities involved, while varied, were such that I was not the least bit uncomfortable. Herb was an extremely gracious host. Charlie is funny as hell. Dave is both bombastic and gregarious. Pat, an introvert like me, was wide open and also very funny. It truly felt like a group I have known my whole life. I was truly grateful to be involved in this from the personal level as much as the musical level.

The song flowed from everybody and it was collaboration in the purest form. Herb did a large part of the writing. Dave added some tweaks. I put in the part about being the one who escaped winter and driving from Ohio. Charlie's scene in the rocking chair was great. It was like sitting at grandpa's knee learning about life.

Great day all around!

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: eddie1261
.... I put in the part about being the one who escaped winter and driving from Ohio.

Eddie, was that you? I never would have guessed wink

Ha Ha, a great collaboration. Herb provided the perfect setting (thanks), and you guys all landed on your feet (and in uniform, so some planning was clearly involved).

Top show. No question.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,391
Posts732,468
Members38,440
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi, mmpartee
38,439 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195