Print Thread
Go To
RealBand
T
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
T
Pre-existing/embedded Patch/Program Set or Change events are easy to view delete and change in BIAB. You can go into Notation, pick the track and hit "#". You then have the option of Various Event Type filters, one of which is "Program Change". (or you can see them under "All" events)

But, I don't see a way to either delete or edit an embedded program change event in Realband. They don't appear in the listing when the "Events" button is pressed, or "Notation View" (as far as I can see, anyway).

A solution would be appreciated. I must be missing something, since I can't change a patch, and make it stick.

Thanks

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
If they existed as an Event, they would show up in my experience
I'd first try Cut
Then right away select Data Filter
Here you can determine what you are actually cutting

Next would be checking the Track itself and see if it is being routed to a certain sound (right click)

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
MIDI_ProgramAssign.jpg (103.72 KB, 95 downloads)

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
RealBand
T
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
T
Not so, unfortunately....

Screen shots of BIAB Event List in Notation View and RealBand Event List FOR SAME MIDI FILE...
Patch Changes DO NOT show up in RealBand Event Listing.

Thanks.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Screenshot 2022-05-29 080653.jpg (306.63 KB, 84 downloads)
Screenshot 2022-05-29 080931.jpg (188.67 KB, 91 downloads)
Last edited by Thunderthud; 05/29/22 02:22 AM.
RealBand
Journeyman
Journeyman
If you highlight the track of interest and make sure you are at the beginning of the track, then F2. The list will show "program change" followed by a number. That number corresponds, as I am sure you know, to the GM instrument. You can either delete the program change or put in the number of the instrument you want. I usually delete all the "built in" program changes (patch change is the more popular term but RB uses program) then choose the program from the right lick context menu on the track. Unless I want a track to change instruments somewhere after the beginning of the events.

I have always been able to see these program changes or patch changes.

My wife asked if I had seen the dog bowl. I told her I didn't even know he could.
RealBand
T
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
T
Originally Posted By: etcjoe
If you highlight the track of interest and make sure you are at the beginning of the track, then F2. The list will show "program change" followed by a number. That number corresponds, as I am sure you know, to the GM instrument. You can either delete the program change or put in the number of the instrument you want. I usually delete all the "built in" program changes (patch change is the more popular term but RB uses program) then choose the program from the right lick context menu on the track. Unless I want a track to change instruments somewhere after the beginning of the events.

I have always been able to see these program changes or patch changes.

Still can't see Patch Changes or Program Changes in the Event Viewer, but making sure I was at the beginning of the track did seem to stick when I changed a patch. I will really like to be able to view the Program Change events in the Event Viewer. If you are able to, and I can't, I'd like to know what I'm doing wrong :-). Thanks!

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Well for one thing, your RB image was still showing the Events at 1-1-0 at the bottom, so there were likely more yet to come.

There were LOTS of other Controller events happening, so the Program changes may have simply been farther down the list.

RealBand
Journeyman
Journeyman
Also I only look at 1 track at a time. Your screens hot showed as multi looking athe all tracks presumably. I am not sure what could be wrong. I have never not been able to see them. Stupid question, are you sure there are embedded program changes? I would assume so as you show the biab list but maybe not? I know of no reason you can't see them. The event viewer shows everything usually.

My wife asked if I had seen the dog bowl. I told her I didn't even know he could.
RealBand
Journeyman
Journeyman
The biab view is at 0:1:000 and you rb viewer is at 1:01:000 so you are not looking at the same point in time, maybe that is a clue?

RealBand
Journeyman
Journeyman
I am in the middle of moving and my computer is packed up now so I can't experiment to help. Sorry.

RealBand
T
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
T
Originally Posted By: etcjoe
The biab view is at 0:1:000 and you rb viewer is at 1:01:000 so you are not looking at the same point in time, maybe that is a clue?

Yes, I noticed that, but the Realband viewer won't go back enough to view the events. That might be it. That may be the problem.

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
If they don't show up in RB Event List it is indeed a clue.
Your guess was RB doesn't display events before measure 1, but it does here as shown below.

They show here as long as I have the track selected, even if multiple tracks.
Are you *sure the Event List your in RB image has the track selected that contains the patch/program changes?
I know you see them in BiaB when viewing the Guitar 2 track (which seems weird to me and maybe BiaB displays all tracks in Event List, while RB only displays selected tracks or something).
Just a thought.
RB is usually really good at MIDI editing, especially with the data filter ..

EventListNegativeMeasures.jpg (81.81 KB, 52 downloads)
Last edited by rharv; 05/31/22 12:46 PM.

RealBand
T
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
T
Originally Posted By: rharv
If they don't show up in RB Event List it is indeed a clue.
Your guess was RB doesn't display events before measure 1, but it does here as shown below.

They show here as long as I have the track selected, even if multiple tracks.
Are you *sure the Event List your in RB image has the track selected that contains the patch/program changes?
I know you see them in BiaB when viewing the Guitar 2 track (which seems weird to me and maybe BiaB displays all tracks in Event List, while RB only displays selected tracks or something).
Just a thought.
RB is usually really good at MIDI editing, especially with the data filter ..

Nope, it's showing all tracks. Problem is as etcjo noticed,. The program changes that are embedded in most of the MIDI's I obtain, occur prior to where realband starts the event viewer. They are at 000 and Realband starts at 001.

RealBand
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Thud.

hope i understand your problem.

I’m assuming you got the mids from somewhere.

Irrespective ..try a test of following….

Move the *.mid further along the time line.
Eg move it to or insert it at say the sixth bar.

Do you see NOW in event viewer see what you want ?

best
om

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 05/31/22 02:34 PM.

New Song "PRETTY GIRL" for my wife...Dec 2023
(my vocs....mixed for good earbuds.)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs/prettygirlrbfinalcalfsongsdec2023mp3
(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
I download quite a few MIDI's and have run into this problem several times. Sometimes the control changes and program changes are not on the track you're trying to change but may be listed on another track much further down the list. As you're doing in RB, MULTI-view is the way to go and find these. But, take a look at tracks much further down than the ones with MIDI data as well as further out along the time line. There may be a few surprises there.

Jeff

Win11, Intel i7 7700K 4.2Ghz, 32Gb RAM, 2x1Tb HD, 500Gb NVMe, BIAB/RB 2024, MOTU 828MK3 audio, MOTU Midi Express, Yamaha Montage 7, DX7II, TX802, Motif XS Rack, Roland Fantom XR Rack, Oberheim Matrix 1000, VoiceLive3 Extreme, Kontakt 6, SampleTank 4.3
RealBand
T
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
T
Originally Posted By: MountainSide
I download quite a few MIDI's and have run into this problem several times. Sometimes the control changes and program changes are not on the track you're trying to change but may be listed on another track much further down the list. As you're doing in RB, MULTI-view is the way to go and find these. But, take a look at tracks much further down than the ones with MIDI data as well as further out along the time line. There may be a few surprises there.

Jeff

Well aware that Program Changes could be in place further up in time. BUT, the ones that I am referring to, actually DO TAKE PLACE PRIOR to where RealBand allows you to view. Band in a Box DOES ALLOW YOU to view from 000 not 001 as in Realband. See my screenshots. Thanks.

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Do you have a place to post such a MIDI file, like dropbox, or weTransfer or something?
Would be interesting to experiment with ..and maybe help you solve this issue

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,398
Posts732,546
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199