Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
robbo Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
I make my living from music, and have for 50+ years.

speed and accuracy are paramount.

BB slows my workflow down to a crawl.

too many dialog boxes and options. too many non musical decisions.

what I, and probably a lot of other pros want as well, is a simplification.

I mainly just use BB to make mock-ups BGs quickly and non critically.

in the end, i'd like to see a stripped down edition with no bells and whistles....

mac friendly.no dialog boxes like there are now.

just "input the data" and port to the DAW.

the musicianship is wonderful, but the interface is 20 years old.

please, a stripped back PRO version.

thanks and regards,
robbo.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Robbo, reasonable points.

What version of BiaB are you running?

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
L
Veteran
Veteran
L
robbo:

I use the Windows version so I'm not sure my comments will apply.
If you use "Ctrl+T" it hides many of the toolbars, if that's helpful.
Plus, there's even a way to customize what's left, to show only the icons you need.

Otherwise, I don't see how you could simplify it much more.
No matter how you use the program, you're going to have to:
- pick a style
- pick a key
- pick a tempo
- set the song length
- type in the chords

I only use BIAB on occasion, so I don't consider myself a "pro" at it.
But once you learn where the buttons are for those functions, it's
certainly not hard to type in the chords of a song.
I'm guessing there are plenty of users here that, even though they're fairly new,
could easily enter a song in under 30 minutes, and some in under 10.

What part of your process in BIAB is slowing you down?
Finding the right style?
Getting the right chords into the right "boxes"?
Let us know, and there's likely people here who can speed up your "process".

LLOYD S

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
If you are just simply generating tracks, there is the DAW plugin version of Band-in-a-Box. It has fewer features than the main program because it is assumed that you would also be using the editing features of your DAW program. So it is similar to a "lite" version.

Best,
Chantelle
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Yes, Chantelle is correct. The Plugin was designed for exactly the case you cite: input the data and port it to the DAW.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: robbo

Maybe if you want it to be simple then don't use all the dialog boxes and options, for goodness sake.

All you need to do is enter chords, and choose a style from the Style Picker if you want to have a song generated for you. How much simpler and easy could it be? There is no need to go any deeper unless you want to fine-tune things, which is what all those dialog boxes and options are for.

Export the tracks and you're done.

BIAB 2023 Audiophile, MacPro (Mid-2010) OSX 10.12.6
DAW: Digital Performer 8

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
J
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
J
I agree with simplification suggestion.

I am a new user . I found it very difficult to understand all the functions. Now I understand I use only the basics. This was a painful process !

While the videos are helpful they are not logically presented ( which one to watch first ?) . Many of videos are created using old version, this it makes it hard to relate to current version 2022.

It’s simple to say just don’t use them but when you are new you don’t know what’s important. I have been around computer programs like this for many years. This one is a challenge . I am still finding function that are new to me .

My Korg PA keyboard had a simple function that hid all menus and option other than the basics . This was very helpful for a new user. If you are just starting you don’t need many function like harmonists, Melodist etc.

I think this a wonderful program but it really needs a redesign . I tried to find a flow chart on line on how all the function fit to gather with out luck. It tried draw on my self as I was learning but could not come with anything that helped me lay it out logically.

I would like to know more about this daw plug in version mentioned by Chantelle

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: JBran
snip ... I would like to know more about this daw plug in version mentioned by Chantelle

The plugin is a free standalone application included with all Band-in-a-Box packages. The plugin MUST be installed on the same computer as the main Band-in-a-Box program or it will not work. Version 4 is available for both 2022 Windows and Macintosh platforms. The plugin is available in both 32 and 64 bit formats and follows all plugin standards including VST, VST3, AU and AAX.

+++ HERE +++ is a link to the plugin support page. The plugin page link is also available at the top of each forum page as shown in the screen shot below.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Clipboard01.jpg (345.29 KB, 182 downloads)
DAW PlugIn Page

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
"This one is a challenge . I am still finding function that are new to me ."
LOL! After few years, I am too smile PGmusic packed some pretty cool / inventive stuff that you will discover if you are willing to invest some time into it.

I agree that some dialog menus can be consolidated, simplified and even made non-modal + overall workflow improved. 100%.

If you have not already, I would start, as was suggested with minimalistic view (Ctrl+T). Makes things much cleaner. Also "Mixer tab" on the upper right corner acts as a button and "hides" and "reveals" mixer.

Video - Agreed. There are too many old/new videos intermixed. I think we need a single beginner video covering making basic song from start to export. (perhaps intermediate and advanced later)

PG forum is a great place to get help with BIAB related issues. Usually folks who know software reply within hours if not sooner.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
I'm very much inclined to agree with the stated header, +1 on that. Case in point: I gave my dad, a musician of over 60 years himself, a copy of BBox 2020 - He's never even used it once, citing "too complicated" as reason.

I for one would've loved to see the creation of something like "BBox Lite" that would be a highly reduced price, barebone midi only and/or even a trialware (another thing in on itself that is sorely missing!) ... but I'm certainly no longer holding my breath for any such thing or it would've happened decades ago I'm sure smirk

Thank goodness words aren't knives.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
BBox 2022 Audiophile, Mac Pro Intel, OSX 10.6.8, 800x600 (TV VGA)
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
I make my living from music, and have for 50+ years.
speed and accuracy are paramount.
I mainly just use BB to make mock-ups BGs quickly and non critically.
in the end, i'd like to see a stripped down edition with no bells and whistles....
mac friendly.no dialog boxes like there are now.
just "input the data" and port to the DAW.
the musicianship is wonderful, but the interface is 20 years old.
please, a stripped back PRO version.

thanks and regards,
robbo.

"..speed and accuracy are paramount..
BB slows my workflow down to a crawl...
what I, and probably a lot of other pros want as well, is a simplification...
the musicianship is wonderful, but the interface is 20 years old..
please, a stripped back PRO version..."

That is NOT me posting, I swear. Though I have spent the last 13 years here trying to get BB there frown

Originally Posted By: musocity
The Plugin/Standalone with self contained code playing back tracks direct from the source files each track can open to display the waveform sections that can be all edited non destructively (NDE) the same as other multitrack VSTs and DAWs.
If you drag the green WAV button only then will it render the sections to wav.
This will give better editing control and faster generation than the main Biab app, so the Plugin Standalone could become the better way to go.
Allowing real project time signatures, real tempo maps and 48khz 24bit audio.
It can be released at the same time for Win & Mac (not 6 months apart).
Band In A Box Lite® a self contained Plugin or Plugin Standalone.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Expert
Online Content
Expert
It's long been a puzzle to me why the standalone is tucked away in an almost secret place

bb/BBPlugin/Files/32-bit/Band-in-a-Box DAW Plugin Standalone32.exe
bb/BBPlugin/Files/Band-in-a-Box DAW Plugin Standalone.exe

Jazz relative beginner, starting at a much older age than was helpful.
Kawai MP6, Korg M50, Ui24R, Saffire Pro 40.
AVL:MXE Linux; Windows 11; Win8.1: Scarletts
BIAB2022 UltraPAK, Reaper, a bunch of stuff.
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Yes, I think they should put a copy in the C:\bb root with the bbw64.exe and have a different icon for it.
They should do that now before the "new" release.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Expert
Expert
If you want the program to be simpler, just use it simply and don't take advantage of all the useful extra features.

And if you REALLY want to be a "pro", learn how to use all those useful extra features.

BIAB 2023 Audiophile, MacPro (Mid-2010) OSX 10.12.6
DAW: Digital Performer 8

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
R
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
R
I've worked as a software designer and remember one of it's inspirational quotes: "A design is not finished when there is nothing left to add, but rather when there is nothing more you can take away." I've been using BB for about 3 years now and it's incredible in what it does but also has suffered a bit too much from adding, if not squeezing, new features into an interface originally conceived decades ago. I can build and export backing tracks rather quickly now and then move over to Ableton Live, but there are numerous times where I can't remember where a certain setting or feature lives and have to click through ten or more popups before I find it or give up.

We may forgive BB because at the end of the day, the output (music) is all that really matters, but first impressions and feedback from new users is something important not to be dismissed. Then again, if I see BB as a best-kept secret then maybe I don't want too many new people discovering it. =)

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Expert
Online Content
Expert
Originally Posted By: Ryan_R
"A design is not finished when there is nothing left to add, but rather when there is nothing more you can take away."

Nice philosophy.

AFAICS BIAB has had many things added over the years and they're usually "tacked on" to something that already exists in what is reasonably logical way and place at the time, but if often feels like nobody stands back from it all and looks how to rationalise things. The longer that continues, the harder it becomes to do any rationalisation. It all becomes "too difficult", so one lives with the status quo.

Jazz relative beginner, starting at a much older age than was helpful.
Kawai MP6, Korg M50, Ui24R, Saffire Pro 40.
AVL:MXE Linux; Windows 11; Win8.1: Scarletts
BIAB2022 UltraPAK, Reaper, a bunch of stuff.
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran

robbo, FWIW I've been using BiaB for about 2 years and when I first started I was overwhelmed with the dialog boxes and menu choices too, so I can relate. And I still consider myself a newbie.

What I have learned with this and other software is to make your progress incrementally. Start simple and ignore all the bells and whistles. Establish a comfort level with the 3 or 4 basic tasks that you need in your workflow. Then ask yourself "I wonder if it can do such and such?" Spend a little time searching for the such-and-such in the program and in the videos. If you come up dry simply ask the question at this forum. There are many friendly experts here that can answer most any question you have. I think you will find that it is a very capable program.

Could the program be simplified? Absolutely, but the key is when you are trying to get something done, stay focussed on that task and don't get distracted by the many "shiny objects" in the dialog boxes. You may also want to type up a series of "How To" sheets so that when you forget something you once knew you just look at your sheet. For me, re-learning something that I once knew how to do is more frustrating than trying to learn it the first time, hence, How To sheets make sense for me until it becomes second nature.

https://soundcloud.com/user-646279677
BiaB 2024 Windows
For me there’s no better place in the band than to have one leg in the harmony world and the other in the percussive. Thank you Paul Tutmarc and Leo Fender.
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
How many use the Modern GUI? Ctrl+T or CMD+T for Mac, toggles between the Classic GUI and the Modern GUI.

The tabs at the top of the mixer makes it easy to move between the various toolbars. The custom tab allows you to have just the icons you use in view.

Pressing the mixer tab will cause the mixer to disappear and reappear giving the chord sheet more viewing real estate when you need it.

Once I got use to using Ctrl+T I found the command as easy to remember and use as F5 for bar settings.

Or, is more simplification needed than just the GUI?

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Clipboard01.jpg (290.75 KB, 58 downloads)
Modern GUI

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Once I learned to populate a custom toolbar, I switched the second day to the newer GUI and haven't look back. That's five years now.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
Once I learned to populate a custom toolbar, I switched the second day to the newer GUI and haven't look back. That's five years now.

Same here. I can't remember the last time I used the old GUI.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,394
Posts732,478
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195