Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Off-Topic
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
I get the Audiophile Edition annually for my studio computer. But now I want to add a second install for a laptop. The program runs fine if I use the full set of files, but I need to put the limited subset I actually use on a flash drive so I am not eating up the battery running a hard disk. All I need are the jazz and Latin styles with some odd bits, around 740 Gb. I tried removing the unneeded files to a folder outside BB folder and BiaB is not happy, obviously the file system is deeper than simple relational pointers.
How to PROPERLY remove the styles and files? Thanks, I know this is not trivial.

It's all about the music.
(I keep telling myself that...)
http://www.davidkempton.com
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
740 GIGABYTES? Audiophile is THAT big?

You can get a 1tb flash drive on Amazon for like 25 bucks.

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
So are you running Biab bb folder on the laptop and have the RealTracks and Drums folders on the flash drive ?
or is Biab bb folder on the flash drive also ?
are you using the wav files or the wma files on the laptop ?
If you use the wma files on the laptop and freeze the SGU it should load the wav files on the Audiophile Edition computer.

You can use Fast Copy to select the RT RD folders you want to copy and filter out *.wav so it only copies the wma files.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: eddie1261
740 GIGABYTES? Audiophile is THAT big?

You can get a 1tb flash drive on Amazon for like 25 bucks.

Audiophile is at least double that at 1.67TB. It's shipped on a 2 TB drive.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Had no idea Trev. Never bought "the big boy".

2TB thumb drive from Newegg

Last edited by eddie1261; 06/19/22 04:45 AM.

2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Eddie,
Those 2t thumbdives are fakes.
---

The only two reliable compact options I know of for 2 ter. drives
Are Samsung model T5
Or build your own out of nvme m2 drive and proper usb enclosure.

T5 is extremely reliable and fast, but pricey.

I am sure there are couple of other options but vast majority of "sticks" advertised as 2tb are fakes.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Is there any evidence of that? I have never known Newegg to be anything but above board. I have bought from them for years. When you start tossing in words like "reliability" I get lost in what you are trying to say. "Fakes" like if you order one you never get it and lose your money? Or "fakes", adding reliability to that, meaning the data throughput is not the same speed as the higher priced ones? Remember, programs run from RAM. What difference if the program takes 5 more seconds moving through the CPU into RAM?

Love to know why you chose the word "fakes".

Last edited by eddie1261; 06/19/22 09:03 AM.

2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Products shipped by NewEgg have always been fine for me. Where I’ve had a small amount of difficulty is those ‘third party’ vendors they use, but they are identified if you look for it, so you can make an informed choice.

PG Music was asked several years ago (I’m going to guess about ten) about using flash drives. At that time, the throughput speed was not adequate for BIAB. Of course I would want to experiment again with current technology.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Ok quiz for Eddy and Matt.
Please find a 2 terabyte Flashdrive from a reputable manufacturer that had been around for decades... Clues: Kingston, PNY, SanDisk and couple of others. See what they offer in 2 terabyte flash drives.
I have not done my research in several months, but... I am guessing they will have none. At least at the form factor that trusty Newegg offers.

Eddy, I would place a nice bet with you, for example doing yardwork for a week... on that Newegg drive, but I don't think PG forum is the right place for those kind of bets smile

P.S. Newegg, Amazon and all other wonders of nature are marketplaces,and very often do not do "in house" checks. I got burned couple of times years ago specifically on high capacity Flash drives. For example, back then they would sell 64 GB flash (which was a rarity at that time) for ridiculously low price. A PC would recognize it as 64GB... They would fake that number, and only when you try to write a large file set, it would stop at 2gb that is when gou realize you had been bamboozled:)

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I read the one review of the drive on the linked web page. Not very encouraging. One review is not a very large sample smile so I headed over to Amazon and the first review of their choice read as:
"This is one of those "I told you so" purchases. Do not do it. it is a 32 GB that has been modified to look like it is 1TB to the OS, but have not doubts, it will only store 32GB."

But there were many positive reviews ... Of course a great percentage of reviews at Amazon are fake further complicating the issue.

So grains of salt, FWIW's, etc.

Bud

PS Never had a problem with Newegg but it's been a while.
PPS Sorry to go so far off topic. I hope somebody can help the OP.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Rusty, getting me to do yardwork for a week on someone else's yard would involve carjacking and gunfire, so that's out. The other replies clear up for me what you meant by fake. When I see that word I think of "You order the stuff and it does not exist so you had money stolen." (What we used to call vaporware.)

As to Bud's comment, even if they are genetically modified to read as 1TB and they are only 32GB, Amazon has always been good about backing up the products sold through them. I have never lost a dime buying there, and I have done my share of returns/refunds.

The disclaimer here is that I am somewhat disinterested in this topic because I will never do what you want to do. Thus I don't understand doing all this dancing and trial by error file manipulation. Unless you live off grid in an old missile silo, why not just just plug your laptop into a wall? Where are you working that battery life is such an issue that the slight power consumption caused by intermittent powering up of an external hard drive is going to matter? Before I did all that file work I'd just buy a solar generator that will give you enough power to run your laptop and that hard drive for like 25 hours on a full charge.

Can you tell us a little more about the "why" here? I mean, you have come up with a scenario here that had never even occurred to me. A far more efficient and logical solution might be a 2TB solid state drive as a secondary mounted inside the case. I have yet to see a laptop case that didn't have room for a tiny little drive to be stuck inside it. I have a Dell 2 in 1 that I did that to. There was a spot under the motherboard where I stuck the extra SSD with 2 sided tape. Not a 2TB though by any stretch. That computer doesn't get that kind of usage because I am not a pro musician like you are. The only way I get into jazz festivals is with a ticket. So please elaborate if you care to. I am curious.

2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I did not say I would buy a 2TB flash drive from NewEgg or anyone else. I would not want a device that big that was that slow.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
It's not just NewEgg, Amazon also has them. They ARE fake, well-documented. Hold about 360G usually according to several reviewers.

Off-Topic
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
I forgot about the WMA option, I'm so used to the WAVs. I have maybe 200G available, should be able to get all the basics and the updates I need on there. Great idea.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
"I would not want a device that big that was that slow."
Basic flash drives - agreed.

When it comes to thunderbolt 3 or true USB 3.1 Gen 2 ports and SSD drives that support these (such as Samsung T5), it is another story. They are lightning fast compared to standard "flash drive" plugged into USB 2 or 3 port.

Off-Topic
Apprentice
Apprentice
I have two of these, 1 x 1TB & 1 x 2TB. I run BiaB off the 1TB drive and many VI libraries off the 2TB. They are fast and reliable but not cheap.

SanDisk SSD drives

Last edited by TRYUK; 06/19/22 08:56 PM.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran

Last edited by eddie1261; 06/20/22 12:32 PM.

2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
The Soundsmith, sorry to derail your thread a bit, but since you figured it out and we are on the subject I will share what I think is the most universal "portable" way to have Audiophile....
PG music ships version on a spinner USB 3 drive, which is fast enough for most users, but there are instances where you want or need greater portability, speed or no moving parts...

Samsung T5 2tb is probably the best choice for the external setup. It is much (MUCH!) faster than spinner drives if you have Thunderbolt 3 or USB c gen 2 ports, and about 5 times smaller that external drive PG ships. Second up is SanDisk, a competitor, that was mentioned by TRYUK. Good drive, but I prefer Samsung.

Now, here is a hybrid option, that I think is the best way to go.
A drive, that can be installed as internal drive either straight up, if your system allows, or with adapter:

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-970-EVO-Plus-MZ-V7S2T0B/dp/B07MFZXR1B/ref=sr_1_3?crid=5NKZLEEUE4NY&keywords=m.2%2Bnvme%2B2tb&qid=1655772054&s=electronics&sprefix=M.2%2BNVMe%2B2%2Celectronics%2C100&sr=1-3&th=1

And external case:
https://www.amazon.com/SSK-Aluminum-Enclosure-Adapter-External/dp/B07MNFH1PX/ref=sr_1_4?crid=2T4L64ZRJAN5D&keywords=m.2+nvme+enclosure&qid=1655772087&s=electronics&sprefix=m.2%2Bnvme+enclosure%2Celectronics%2C92&sr=1-4

----
I am lucky to have two M.2 NVMe slots in my PC, one drive is completely dedicated to BIAB.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,587
Posts734,736
Members38,500
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Krystal Mcclain, Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex
38,500 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 191