Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
2022 Band-in-a-Box for Windows has a Track Settings And Settings window that consolidates many track settings and actions into one window.

It would be nice to create a new track command that moves everything (instrument and track data) associated with a track from it's existing track position to a different track position.

I believe this command needs to be a multi-step process. Step 1 selects a track. Step 2 freezes a track. Step 3 selects the "new" track. Step 4 moves the instrument and data. Step 4 clears instrument and data from the existing track and loads the instrument and data into the new track. Step 5 unfreezes the instrument and data.

I anticipate the main reason users will want the command is to sequence instruments into a desired order so like instruments can be grouped together. For example this command will enable left and right hand piano or guitar 1 and guitar 2 to easily be moved adjacent to each other. See +++ THIS POST +++ by BassThumper for a discussion of the track ordering idea.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Clipboard01.jpg (174.96 KB, 150 downloads)
2022 BiaB for Windows F7 - Track Settings & Actions Window

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Jim,
+1

However, I think a better approach would be right click on a mixer track (or in settings & actions) and have Cut/Copy/Paste/Delete commands.

A more creative twist would be to click +hold mouse button on track and drag it to any position to change the order.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
This does need attention. There are many ways someone might attempt this.

I recently tried to move the Melody to Utility Track #1. The only way I could find to do it was Copy Special.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
Jim,
+1

However, I think a better approach would be right click on a mixer track (or in settings & actions) and have Cut/Copy/Paste/Delete commands.

A more creative twist would be to click +hold mouse button on track and drag it to any position to change the order.

RustySpoon#, I thought about right click on track and agree that is likely the appropriate place for individual cut, copy, paste and delete track commands. However I'm not sure using individual commands is a good thing. In my mind individual commands will make it too easy for track data to be lost or corrupt.

There are a minimum of two elements in each track, instrument and data (wave instructions or MIDI patterns). MIDI SuperTracks also includes an instrument sound module. That is a lot of stuff to keep track of. I worry about track data becoming lost or corrupted when a track is not frozen. I worry about using an automatic track data freeze but the user having to perform a manual unfreeze if the paste action does not occur immediately after a cut or copy action. What if a user decides to cut or copy multiple tracks and then paste?

Drag and drop is likely close to ideal but there is still the question of how to distinguish between commands involving the instrument, wave instructions or MIDI patterns and sound modules.

My suggestion takes into account the path PG Music already seems to be taking for track actions.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran

"That is a lot of stuff to keep track of. I worry about track data becoming lost or corrupted when a track is not frozen."

Jim, have faith smile We always take risks doing similar operations. For example moving digital photos, videos, documents. I mean, if it is done and tested well, risks are minimal. Also UNDO can be a part of equation.

"There are a minimum of two elements in each track"

Yep, that is good point and this could be handled to a user advantage too. It could have a Copy (Delete, Cut etc.) "all" with these (parts you mentioned) checked by default for simplicity: Copy A, Copy B, Copy C , or individually checked/unchecked manually for custom selection.

--------------------------

In my view, it has to be "simple enough" for casual user to understand the workflow, otherwise it might be a very narrow request for something very specific that not many people will have use for. Jim, I am not trying to bust your request, it is good, but hoping bigger picture can be seen. Just my 3 cents.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Misha, Don't worry I may think we're arguing; I know we're not. Discussion is what makes ideas flow. We're good!

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Thanks for the ideas! I will pass this along to our development team and see if they can add this to a future version of Band-in-a-Box.

Best,

Jerry
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Hello fellow BiaBers,

I am the originator of this issue and it looks like things are not spinning out of control, but spinning into control smile

Below is a screenshot that initiated this quest. There are several things to note here.
1. This disorganized "chaotic" list makes it hard for a new user like me to operate on and remember which instrument I've already worked on. For me, a list like Drums 1, Drums 2, SynBass, Guitar 1, Guitar 2, Guitar 3, Solo Guitar, Piano 1, Piano 2, Organ would be desirable. Hence the idea of being able to drag and place any instrument to any position; because someone else's brain might very well want an entirely different sequence.

2. Note that "Melody" and Thru" are not in my desired list. This is because I am not using them; yet I can't figure out how to delete them from the list. These 2 items contribute to the disorganization.

3. Note that Drums 3 and Drums 4 are also not on my desired list. I had initially added these but found I didn't like how they blended and found a better drum pattern on my drum machine. Once again, these contribute to the clutter and I can't figure out how to delete them.

4. On a related note, the Bar Settings dialog box seems to be limited to 8 instruments. Since it is in this window where volume/muting changes are made it would be very handy if this dialog was not limited to 8 instruments but in fact contain the exact number of instruments that you have chosen to add to your song and in the same list sequence that appears in the Mixer window.

Thanks go to Jim Fogle for requesting this wish. I was timid to request this myself due to the multiple holes in my knowledge of BiaB and not knowing if others would find this a useful improvement to the software.

Does any of this make sense? Or am I off my rocker?

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Screenshot 23.jpg (93.37 KB, 98 downloads)

https://soundcloud.com/user-646279677
BiaB 2024 Windows
For me there’s no better place in the band than to have one leg in the harmony world and the other in the percussive. Thank you Paul Tutmarc and Leo Fender.
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
#4. The best way to mute or adjust track volume is to use Band-in-a-Box's built-in Audio Editor. The BiaB Audio Editor is available for utility and standard tracks.

Clipboard01.jpg (495.65 KB, 90 downloads)
BiaB Audio Editor

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
<< 4. On a related note, the Bar Settings dialog box seems to be limited to 8 instruments. Since it is in this window where volume/muting changes are made it would be very handy if this dialog was not limited to 8 instruments but in fact contain the exact number of instruments that you have chosen to add to your song and in the same list sequence that appears in the Mixer window. >>

BIAB can do this on both Mac and PC versions.

Mr. Henry Clarke has just released a new YouTube tutorial demonstrating how additional instruments can be added to the original Legacy Tracks:

I don't want to use a DAW - Henry Clarke

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle

Mr. Henry Clarke has just released a new YouTube tutorial demonstrating how additional instruments can be added to the original Legacy Tracks:

Thanks for the video link Charlie, I watched it twice.
Mr. Clark pointed out several times that we're limited to just 7 instruments to work with but what I think I learned from him is that you can add more by clicking on RealTracks and (aliasing?) additional instruments but they will always be called "Strings"? I was a bit confused about that. He spent a lot of time talking about how to edit vocals.

In any event, he didn't show how to re-group/re-position the instruments in the Mixer Window which I don't think is possible at this point in the development of BiaB.

Jim's wishlist request above captures this wish very nicely.

FWIW, I think I mentioned drag and place or drag and drop as the way to implement this enhancement which was presumptive of me. I mentioned drag and place only because that is how you do this operation in Studio One and I find that approach natural. I'm sure there are many many considerations that the programmers must take into account to make such a change (if they choose to make it at all); considerations I am not privy to. If they do make this change I'm sure whatever mechanics/user steps they design will make sense.

https://soundcloud.com/user-646279677
BiaB 2024 Windows
For me there’s no better place in the band than to have one leg in the harmony world and the other in the percussive. Thank you Paul Tutmarc and Leo Fender.
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
<< In any event, he didn't show how to re-group/re-position the instruments in the Mixer Window which I don't think is possible at this point in the development of BiaB. >>

Hopefully the wish will be seen by the developers and added to the Mixer. But for informational purposes, any BIAB Mixer track can be moved to any other BIAB Mixer track using the Edit\Copy/Move command. There are restrictions and limitations making it far from ideal, but it's possible to re-group/re-position instruments in the Mixer Window.

However, the method Mr. Henry Clarke demonstrated is the most elementary method of adding multiple RealTracks onto a single BIAB Mixer Track. For years, BIAB has had a fairly obscure but versatile tool, an 11 track sub-mixer, for each of the original 7 BIAB Mixer Channels called Legacy Channels, (Bass, Piano, Drums, Guitar, Strings, Melody and Soloist.) This is a very powerful arrangement tool that's only limited by someone's arranging imagination. It has a lot of settings that perform similar to tweakable pre-sets.
Tracks can:
. Play instruments in sequence
. Play all instruments simultaneously
. Alternate instruments by selected number of Bars, Part Markers, Choruses or whole song
. Can duplicate a RealTrack using the Duplicate Button any number of selectable times from 0-10. PG Music recommends using this feature to thicken vocals or instruments. For instance, a four part vocal duplicated 10 times becomes a 40 piece choir.
. To take advantage of the Duplicating, Each sub-mixer track has panning and volume leveling
. Any RealTrack can be used in any sub-mixer slot. As noted above, a RealTrack can be used multiple times on a track
. Each of the original Legacy Tracks RealTrack Medley Maker sub-mixers operate independently from the others

This tool obviously eliminates the seven instrument limit myth so even if a user hasn't upgraded to a version with Utility tracks, it's easy to compose a song containing dozens of instruments in a single arrangement, first generation render in minutes using nothing but BIAB.

To find the RealTrack Medley Maker, it can only be opened on a track that is loaded with a RealTrack. Open the RealTracks Picker, select a track that has a RealTrack, and click the Medley Button for the RealTrack Medley Maker...

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
H
Journeyman
Journeyman
H
Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
<< In any event, he didn't show how to re-group/re-position the instruments in the Mixer Window which I don't think is possible at this point in the development of BiaB. >>

Hopefully the wish will be seen by the developers and added to the Mixer. But for informational purposes, any BIAB Mixer track can be moved to any other BIAB Mixer track using the Edit\Copy/Move command. There are restrictions and limitations making it far from ideal, but it's possible to re-group/re-position instruments in the Mixer Window.

However, the method Mr. Henry Clarke demonstrated is the most elementary method of adding multiple RealTracks onto a single BIAB Mixer Track. For years, BIAB has had a fairly obscure but versatile tool, an 11 track sub-mixer, for each of the original 7 BIAB Mixer Channels called Legacy Channels, (Bass, Piano, Drums, Guitar, Strings, Melody and Soloist.) This is a very powerful arrangement tool that's only limited by someone's arranging imagination. It has a lot of settings that perform similar to tweakable pre-sets.
Tracks can:
. Play instruments in sequence
. Play all instruments simultaneously
. Alternate instruments by selected number of Bars, Part Markers, Choruses or whole song
. Can duplicate a RealTrack using the Duplicate Button any number of selectable times from 0-10. PG Music recommends using this feature to thicken vocals or instruments. For instance, a four part vocal duplicated 10 times becomes a 40 piece choir.
. To take advantage of the Duplicating, Each sub-mixer track has panning and volume leveling
. Any RealTrack can be used in any sub-mixer slot. As noted above, a RealTrack can be used multiple times on a track
. Each of the original Legacy Tracks RealTrack Medley Maker sub-mixers operate independently from the others

This tool obviously eliminates the seven instrument limit myth so even if a user hasn't upgraded to a version with Utility tracks, it's easy to compose a song containing dozens of instruments in a single arrangement, first generation render in minutes using nothing but BIAB.

To find the RealTrack Medley Maker, it can only be opened on a track that is loaded with a RealTrack. Open the RealTracks Picker, select a track that has a RealTrack, and click the Medley Button for the RealTrack Medley Maker...

Thanks Charlie for clarifying. I know we discussed this on the phone. You're right I always choose the simplest method because that caters to the widest audience. Not of lot of users that I see want to go this deep. However, having said that one primary question I do have is "At the end of the day how many tracks do I send to my DAW?". If I can still only send "7" instrument tracks I'm not sure how all of this makes that much of a difference to me. Did I miss something?

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
<< "At the end of the day how many tracks do I send to my DAW?". If I can still only send "7" instrument tracks I'm not sure how all of this makes that much of a difference to me. >>

The answer to your question is best phrased in the context you presented in your tutorial I reference in my post above. The RealTrack Medley feature is most suited for users wishing to go as far as they can Before leaving BIAB or those folks who'd rather avoid exporting tracks to a DAW altogether.

That said, tracks that have been upgraded to a RealTrack Medley can still be useful to export to a DAW. Doing so, the proper answer to your question is to think of these tracks as stems to be imported into a DAW project. As stems, the simple answer is a single render of an all-RealStyle Style using all seven of the original seven Legacy Tracks would result in seven stems of 77 instruments. However, it's easy to double or triple that count and have no degradation in sound quality.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,391
Posts732,462
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195