Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
OK, this is more a question out of curiosity, since I don't think there's much I can do to influence the way the Audio Chord Wizard interprets an audio file. But then again, if there is a way I can, I'd like to learn more.

The question arose after I decided to let the Audio Chord Wizard do its thing with some backing tracks I've been working with. The first one I chose did not have a complex harmonic arrangement -- the piece was in a major key, so there were some IV's and V's and a vi here and there. But after I ran it through the chord wizard, there was this blizzard of changes it had spewn out and the interpreted chord progression didn't sound like the new one much at all. So I tried it on a simpler backing track. This one had only two chords, a I and a V chord. But again, the result was a blizzard of changes.

The first backing track was 72 measures long and the second was 56 measures long. Neither of the interpretations showed any repeats anywhere, whereas the original tunes had lots.

So, is the ACW keying off an active bass line, perhaps? Because the bass lines in both BTs, while not complex, they do move around a bit. There are keyboards and guitars in both BTs, but they're pretty much banging out a steady rhythm, so I don't see how they would contribute to the interpretations' complexity.

Anyway, I'm just wondering.

Veteran
Veteran
The most important influence on Audio Chord Wizard, or ACW for short, operation is the bar 1, beat 1 setting. Particularly when an audio file has a lead in prior to bar 1 beat 1 the analysis can be compromised.

Extreme tempo changes, multiple time signatures and modulations can also affect accuracy.

One way to increase accuracy is to break an audio file into small chunks and feed the ACW one chunk at a time.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Veteran
Veteran
I agree with Jim. Beat 1 of Bar 1 is highly important. It's also very important to check that the bars of the music align with the bars that were determined by the ACW.

Last edited by Noel96; 06/24/22 09:58 PM.

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Okay, well this helps explain some things. Yesterday, when I was doing this, I just accepted the default suggestion as to where the audio should begin -- you know that window that pops up telling you which beat it should begin at. Turns out, it was truncating off upwards of a measure and a half of the start of the audio file.

Today, I got to playing around with this window and discovered if I put a "1" where the "-1" was, it came through fine. But then I noticed there was a 2-beat drum fill that was causing the audio track to be two beats off. So I went back to the original backing track and truncated the 2-beat drum fill, then loaded it back into BiaB. Then I ran the ACW. And you know what? The chords it came back with are actually much closer -- still not exactly there, but at least I can edit the BiaB file to get it to where it needs to be without tearing out what few hairs I have left.

At least I was arriving at an accurate tempo for the audio tracks, which was pretty much a PITA, but I saw where it really did matter with the ACW, so I figured it had to be.

But I dunno if I ever would have put together what you guys have just described based on the results I'm seeing. So, this is good to know. And, of course, this means I get to go back and redo the three tunes I attempted to retrieve halfway meaningful chord progressions from.

Last edited by cooltouch; 06/25/22 05:58 AM.
Veteran
Veteran
It is critical to establish beat one bar one, as mentioned, and if the tempo varies, I press F8 to sync each measure to be sure.

The last time I used this utility, it recognized two chords per bar maximum, if that matters.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Yep, got it. Bar 1, beat 1. Which is why I got rid of the two-beat drum intros. These backing tracks, being backing tracks and all, are meant to be relatively easy to follow along for, you know, just general woodshedding work. So there are no fancy variances in tempo or odd key changes. The backing tracks I've translated so far have "only" a maximum of two bars per measure, so I'm ok there.

The only problem I had with one BT was it has a push on beat three, every other bar. I've used the carat, eg, ^Am to add a 1/8 beat push, which works ok. But then I ran into a situation where the MIDI drums were being way too clunky with that push, so I had to find a decent RT drum track, with the hopes it might exaggerate it less. And I was successful there.

The only annoying thing about this is just having to go through 80-some-odd measures and replace the existing chord with a chord with the carat. You know, I thought there was a way to edit a chord without having to replace it, say correct Cm7b5 to a Cm7, for example, without having to retype the chord. But I haven't found anything in the Help files or any combination of keystrokes -- so far -- that lets me do this. As I dimly recall, I was able to do this in earlier versions of BiaB. Am I just imagining this, or have I, in my forgetfulness, not yet uncovered how this is done?

Veteran
Veteran
Michael,

You might want to start a new thread with your question as it's not about ACW but more about filling out the chord sheet.

While someone may respond with an answer, both the question and response will be difficult to find during a forum search.

By-the-way, I don't remember a way to search and replace specific chords in the chord sheet. Sorry.

Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Hey Jim, well for me, it isn't so much filling out the chord sheet as it is preparing the audio file so that it will be interpreted properly -- or at least closely. To get close with the ACW, I had to first establish the correct tempo, and then I had to prepare the audio file so that the audio file's chord progression began at Bar 1, beat 1. Then I had to make sure that the tempo matched in BiaB, and just for good measure, I also set the key to the correct key in BiaB. It was then, and only then, that I imported the file and then ran ACW.

Only after I'd run ACW did I dismiss it (the way I found to do this, which may not be the most elegant, was to click on Audio>Audio Edit Window twice), and then hit F5 to get rid of the red underlines. I also had to click on the little rectangle in the gray "Drop" box to restore the look of BiaB. It was only at this point that I was even prepared to select a style to try out the progression that had been loaded. So for me, the chord sheet is way in the back of the to-do list.

But, I dunno, maybe it's all in the way you look at it. Maybe what I just described was filling out the chord sheet?

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: cooltouch
I thought there was a way to edit a chord without having to replace it, say correct Cm7b5 to a Cm7, for example, without having to retype the chord.

Hi Michael,

Yes. This can be done easily. Use "Search and Replace" that's round under the "Edit | Chords (w)" menu.

Regards,
Noel

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
search and replace v2 2022.jpg (128.46 KB, 75 downloads)

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Veteran
Veteran
Thanks Noel. I didn't know that. It's nice to learn something new. Thanks for answering Michael's question.

C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Adding to the pointers already given, if you know the key signature and chord progression prior to running the ACW, use the ACW chord analysis custom menu as shown below.

Also, as you become more familiar with the ACW you'll notice it misinterprets certain chords predictablely. On my system, nearly every time I see an Asus, the correct chord is a D. I use the Search and Replace function to change them all at once.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Screenshot 2022-06-26 114300.jpg (329.71 KB, 48 downloads)

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Thanks y'all. I'll give these tips a try as needed.

Noel, I was hoping to find a way to edit chords on a chord-by-chord basis on the chord sheet, if you will, rather than doing a global or limited search and replace. I just finished editing an 80 bar piece, and had to change almost every chord -- majors to major 7ths, minors to minor 7ths, etc. And it went quickly enough, so I guess it wouldn't be much of a time saver anyway, even if there were a way to edit individual chords on the chord sheet.

Today I tried something new, since almost all of the backing tracks I've had the ACW translate only dimly resemble the originals. Instead, I play the audio file and watch the chords the ACW has chosen as the file plays. These backing tracks are not complex, so it has become an easy process for me to correct the chords as I listen to the audio. Doing this provides me with an almost exact copy -- in terms of harmonies, at least. After I've done this, I search through my styles inventory, hoping to find one that comes close to the way the audio is being played. That's been a hit-and-miss process so far.

So anyway, it's become an involved process, but I think it will be ultimately worth it. Reason for all this trouble? Because I like the lead sheets that BiaB puts together. Of course, the sheets won't have any melodies -- unless I use the melodist to throw something together just for the sake of the printout. But they'll have the chords, at least, which is what I was after from the beginning.

Last edited by cooltouch; 06/26/22 08:15 AM.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,587
Posts734,745
Members38,500
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Krystal Mcclain, Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex
38,500 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 191