Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Roycol #717463 05/19/22 03:37 PM
Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)
Veteran
Veteran
Testing .jpg attachment...... Less than 1000x1000 in size. Using the Edge Browser.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
1974-chevrolet-impala-spirit-of-america-1.jpg (449.09 KB, 120 downloads)
TEST.JPG

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
Roycol #718904 06/03/22 01:56 AM
P
Paj Offline
Journeyman
Journeyman
P
A great utility that does batch renaming is iView (IrfanView). It's free but I end up donating from time to time for the time it saves me.

https://www.irfanview.com/

Paj
8^)

Roycol #718915 06/03/22 04:18 AM
J
Expert
Expert
J
Did anyone ever have any success with the problem that Roycol was having, not being able to rename song files via the built-in utility in BIAB?

I put a bunch of the songs I have on Dropbox.

For some reason these old song files exhibit the same problem he is encountering.

If anyone wants to take a stab at being able to rename these using the File Rename utility, here is the link:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/chphaspwz3maqid/AACjFRsyhBFQLgYQ1HCsibyoa?dl=0

These files are still up if anyone wants to take a stab at it.

BIAB2024
Windows 10 Pro
WA6NCB
Paj #718918 06/03/22 04:23 AM
J
Expert
Expert
J
Originally Posted By: Paj
A great utility that does batch renaming is iView (IrfanView). It's free but I end up donating from time to time for the time it saves me.

Paj
8^)

I don't see anywhere that this program does batch renaming of files. It looks to be just another graphics program.

BIAB2024
Windows 10 Pro
WA6NCB
Paj #718922 06/03/22 05:08 AM
Veteran
Veteran

Paj
8^)

The batch renaming in irfanview is for graphic files not audio files (BiaB, wav, mp3, etc).

Paj, if you use it for audio files please let us know how you do it. I tried and it will not work audio files. Note that I am using the latest version of irfanview. Maybe a previous version works for audio?

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Roycol #718924 06/03/22 05:15 AM
Expert
Online Content
Expert
There's certainly a possibility that the renaming issue is a limitation of Windows file names.

I know from experience that Windows doesn't handle all characters in file names as well as it might.

FWIW, I often avoid characters that are not in the normal alphabet and a few others like .-_ to avoid the risk of untoward interpretation as special characters like $ : ! ( ) and so on. In my case that's because I often use scripts like bash or Python to manipulate files, when some special characters can cause mayhem.

Jazz relative beginner, starting at a much older age than was helpful.
Kawai MP6, Korg M50, Ui24R, Saffire Pro 40.
AVL:MXE Linux; Windows 11; Win8.1: Scarletts
BIAB2022 UltraPAK, Reaper, a bunch of stuff.
Gordon Scott #718941 06/03/22 07:16 AM
J
Expert
Expert
J
Originally Posted By: Gordon Scott
There's certainly a possibility that the renaming issue is a limitation of Windows file names.

I know from experience that Windows doesn't handle all characters in file names as well as it might.

FWIW, I often avoid characters that are not in the normal alphabet and a few others like .-_ to avoid the risk of untoward interpretation as special characters like $ : ! ( ) and so on. In my case that's because I often use scripts like bash or Python to manipulate files, when some special characters can cause mayhem.

I am sure that is not the problem here.

I took one of the files that just will not rename and put it in a directory all by itself. I then renamed it simply 1.sgu on the hard drive.

Now the embedded name of the song was "Off Minor". That is about as simple as you can get. When I tried to rename it via the long filename utility, BIAB simply renamed it 1.sgu.sgu on the hardrive. It if worked properly, the file should have been renamed Off Minor.sgu

That did not happen.

That in essence is the problem. I have over 300 of these song files in my collection, dating back from the very early days of BIAB, that just simply cannot be renamed by the program. I can only assume that they might have been created by one of the earliest versions of BIAB and is just not comparable with being renamed. They open just fine in the program and they do play properly, ya just can't rename any of them using the built-in utility.

Like I said, anyone can go grab the song files I put on dropbox and play with them yourself to see if you can come up with a solution.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
2022-06-03_11-59-31.jpg (318.91 KB, 87 downloads)

BIAB2024
Windows 10 Pro
WA6NCB
Roycol #718944 06/03/22 08:13 AM
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Hello jcland,

After testing using the songs you supplied in your dropbox link, it appears that the | File | File utilities... | Auto-rename song files to Long File Names.. | isn't working. I'll be sure to pass this along to our developers so they can create a fix for future update.

Best,

Jerry
J
Expert
Expert
J
Originally Posted By: Jerry - PG Music
Hello jcland,

After testing using the songs you supplied in your dropbox link, it appears that the | File | File utilities... | Auto-rename song files to Long File Names.. | isn't working. I'll be sure to pass this along to our developers so they can create a fix for future update.

Thanks Jerry for looking into this. Feel free to grab all the files on the DropBox link to pass along to the Developers. I will leave them up until they can come up with a fix.

UPDATE: I just tried a little experiment which might get you going in the right direction. I noticed that everyone of the 350 song files had the same style, ZZJAZZ.STY, assigned to them. After BIAB suggested the better RT style (_JAZFRED.STY) I decided to bulk change the style of all the songs using the File-File Utilities-Change all songs in the current folder to a specific style...

Once all 350 songs were changed to _JAZFRED.STY, I then used the Long Filename utility. Lo and behold, everyone of the songs were renamed to the proper long file name on the hardrive.

I am beginning to think that the problem just might not be in the BIAB program but might have been in the song files themself.

Anyways, by changing all the songs to a new style, the Long Filename routine works. On the files where I did not change the style, I am unable to rename them.

The other drawback of using this method is that I also have a directory with 532 songs but those are a mixed batch of old styles such as ZZJAZZ ZZBOSSA ZZCOUNTRY and so on, so I cannot just bulk change those to a single style.

Anyways, the common denominator is that all of the songs that I was never able to auto rename were songs dating back to the beginning of BIAB.

Have fun with this one.

BIAB2024
Windows 10 Pro
WA6NCB
MarioD #720268 06/11/22 10:23 AM
P
Paj Offline
Journeyman
Journeyman
P
Originally Posted By: MarioD

Paj
8^)

The batch renaming in irfanview is for graphic files not audio files (BiaB, wav, mp3, etc).

Mario: It's for any files. The default viewer comes up for "Common Graphic Files"---just use the dropdown to select "All (*.*)" files

Paj, if you use it for audio files please let us know how you do it. I tried and it will not work audio files. Note that I am using the latest version of irfanview. Maybe a previous version works for audio?
[i][/i]

I haven't found a type of Window file it will not rename, with many options for the process. The file conversion process may be graphics specific but the renaming is definitely not---and there's really no reason it should be. I've been using it for renaming going on two decades or so.

Mario, I hesitate to give a step by step, not only because the info can be garnered in the iView help files, but mainly because some *%^&*@ will follow the directions and permanently loose/screw-up their files. So . . .

DISCLAIMER: DON'T FOLLOW THE FOLLOWING DIRECTIONS WITH IRREPLACEABLE OR UN-ARCHIVED FILES UNTIL YOU HAVE TRIED THEM WITH SCRATCH FILES AND ARE SURE HOW TO SUCCESSFULLY DO THE BATCH RENAME. ESPECIALLY AVOID ANY "REPLACE/RENAME ORIGINAL FILES" OPTIONS UNTIL/UNLESS YOU ACTUALLY KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING AND ACCEPT RESPONSIBILTY FOR THE RESULTS.

. . . but Mario, since it's you:

(1) Select Batch Conversion/Rename from the File Menu. You'll get this window:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/kpeqz8grbrwbs43/BatchRenameScreen1%28Marked%29.jpg?dl=0
(2) Select Batch Rename
(3) Use the "Files of type" dropdown window to select "All (*.*)" files
(4) Navigate to and select (highlight) the files you want to rename in the "Look in:" window, then use the buttons above the "Input files:" window to add them to the input files list.
(5) Set your desired naming pattern in "Batch rename settings: Name pattern" window. Definitely click on the [Options] button to bring up the options window---and then click on the [Help] button to see the renaming patterns/options that are available to you. In my example I rename the files "NewNameForOldnames001...006
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bmqem9lwvw6rufv/BatchRenameScreen2%28Marked%29.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1grgvk3o4aw15io/BatchRenameScreen3%28Marked%29.jpg?dl=0

(6) Select your Output Folder. This could be any existing folder or a folder that is created by/during the renaming process. In my example, I "Browsed" to my original folder, selected that, and added "\Renames" at the end of the line to create a target folder that didn't exist.
(7) Select the [Run test rename] for a non-destructive test run.
If your satisfied with the displayed results, select the [Start Batch] button.

Sorry I didn't reply sooner---life.

Paj
8^)

BTW: iView 4.59 64-bit. Also worked with v4.54 32-bit.

Last edited by Paj; 06/11/22 10:24 AM.
Paj #720270 06/11/22 10:42 AM
Veteran
Veteran
Fantastic, thanx for the info, I didn't know that.

The all file batch procedure is identical to the photograph batch name changing procedure.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Roycol #720326 06/11/22 04:11 PM
J
Expert
Expert
J
OK. there are a few people on this topic who do not understand the problem both Roycol and myself ran into.

It has absolutely nothing to do with renaming existing file names to new file names. Heck I can do that with a myriad of file renaming utilities all day long and in my sleep. Been doing that since the days of DOS 2.2

If you read my posts, the problem is that when using the built-in file renaming utility to convert 8.x names to long file names, on some files it will just not work. The built in utility is supposed to 'read' the name of the song file contained within the SGx or MGx file structure and port that name over as a new file name that is no longer in the 8.x format. It only occurs on a very small sample of files I have in my collection, which Jerry at PG Music was able to duplicate and confirm, following my instructions and sample song files I posted on Dropbox.

Again, this has nothing to do with renaming a file to another name of your choosing. It has everything to do with getting the name of the song that is located inside the actual song file structure. See the graphic. There is absolutely no file renaming utility that can read the internal file structure of the BIAB song file and use that information to rename a file, except as provided by PGMUSIC via the Long File Name Utility....that I am aware of. Not a one of the popular file renaming programs out there will do that either singularly or in batches.

example.jpg (165.21 KB, 43 downloads)
Last edited by jcland; 06/11/22 04:13 PM.

BIAB2024
Windows 10 Pro
WA6NCB
Joseph Land #722420 06/27/22 09:50 AM
Journeyman
Journeyman
Originally Posted By: jcland
OK. there are a few people on this topic who do not understand the problem both Roycol and myself ran into.

It has absolutely nothing to do with renaming existing file names to new file names. Heck I can do that with a myriad of file renaming utilities all day long and in my sleep. Been doing that since the days of DOS 2.2

If you read my posts, the problem is that when using the built-in file renaming utility to convert 8.x names to long file names, on some files it will just not work. The built in utility is supposed to 'read' the name of the song file contained within the SGx or MGx file structure and port that name over as a new file name that is no longer in the 8.x format. It only occurs on a very small sample of files I have in my collection, which Jerry at PG Music was able to duplicate and confirm, following my instructions and sample song files I posted on Dropbox.

Again, this has nothing to do with renaming a file to another name of your choosing. It has everything to do with getting the name of the song that is located inside the actual song file structure. See the graphic. There is absolutely no file renaming utility that can read the internal file structure of the BIAB song file and use that information to rename a file, except as provided by PGMUSIC via the Long File Name Utility....that I am aware of. Not a one of the popular file renaming programs out there will do that either singularly or in batches.

I don't think they do not understand, I think they just got off on the topic of renaming files. You got a good response above from PG Music that they will pass on to the developers and then also we found out it seems to be only with the files with the old standard BIAB styles ZZ etc. All of this while using the programs built in utility for renaming files to long file names. Good find of a problem that will now hopefully be fixed.

My wife asked if I had seen the dog bowl. I told her I didn't even know he could.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,394
Posts732,480
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195