Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Gary Curran #723239 07/06/22 11:03 AM
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Expert
Expert
for what its worth i've been running BIAB on soundblaster cards with WAS for years. my current pc runs fine with a soundblaster audigy for playback although for recording i use a uphoria usb interface so i can use a condenser mic.

whatever is causing the stuttering its not - IMHO - the soundblaster card. my bet would be another program kicking in like virus checker or some maintenance software.

Gary Curran #723260 07/06/22 03:12 PM
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I want to address some of these posts all here.

First, I've sent BIAB Support a video of the stuttering. The video I sent had the song starting, and played all the way up to bar 27 before the tracks started to regenerate. This is a problem that is not related to the audio card or drivers. I'm beginning to think it's a CPU or Motherboard issue. I'm going to have to treat it as such.

Blake, you said: Can you reproduce the problem with 2021?
Or is it only happening with 2022?

I had, at one time or another, 2018, 2021 and now 2022 installed on the computer. When I upgraded, I upgraded over the previous install, which is I originally thought this might have been a software issue. I AM running 2021 on a laptop, an old Celeron actually, and it runs fine there. I suspect if I put 2022 on there, it would also run fine. The reason I need to use it on the desktop is my A/D and D/A converters are external and require optical S/PDIF.

Mario, I believe that I am going to have to replace the computer. Right now, money is seriously tight, and I don't have it. Makes me cry not having the money, too, because Korg just released the keyboard I want to replace my 12-year-old keyboard. https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PA5X76--korg-pa5x-76-76-key-arranger-workstation :-) :-D ;-p

Matt, I agree, real tracks generation does put a burden on the CPU, which is why it seems longer and longer to generate the tracks, but, having said that, once the tracks are generated, they're just audio files being played, and even if you have up to 10 audio files playing at once, most computers, even older ones, should be able to handle that. Once generated, the playback (and I've only been using four or five tracks) shouldn't stop to regenerate the tracks.

OM, I haven't had the opportunity to test yet, but my Edirol interface is one of these. https://www.roland.com/global/products/ua-1g/

Bob, I've shut down all sorts of programs, and when using BIAB, my computer free resources are in excess of 75%. Since this is actually having the tracks stop in the middle of the song and regenerate, this is not an audio issue. The audio output stutters and stops because Band In A Box is, for some unknown reason, regenerating the audio tracks inside of the program. I've asked PG Music, they say it's not a software issue, but probably a computer issue. I don't understand that, because there are times when the files play back perfectly, once generated, and other times when it stops at the second bar, the 27th bar, or the 42nd bar to regenerate. So, if it was a computer problem, why the differences? If it's a software problem, why doesn't it do it all the time?

I'm going to have to find a way to buy a new computer, or find a mobo, cpu and ram that I can replace what I have here (even used) and try that. But, for now, I don't have the money, so it's going to have to sit on the back burner.

If I need to record a song, I can use the BIAB PlugIn in Cakewalk and create the audio tracks there, but actually working on a song or trying to find the right styles, or mixing styles, etc., has to be done in BIAB, and of course, that's where the problem is. By the way, generating the audio tracks in the plug in works flawlessly.

Gary

I'm blessed watching God do what He does best. I've had a few rough years, and I'm still not back to where I want to be, but I'm on the way and things are looking far better now than what they were!
Gary Curran #723281 07/06/22 10:02 PM
Expert
Expert
hope you find a solution. if it is a software program kicking in it wouldn't necessarily happen all the time - just when the program was 'triggered'

what background programs does Windows Task Manager show running and is there one you have on the PC you don't have on the laptop?

Bob Calver #723282 07/06/22 10:11 PM
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Bob Calver
hope you find a solution. if it is a software program kicking in it wouldn't necessarily happen all the time - just when the program was 'triggered'

what background programs does Windows Task Manager show running and is there one you have on the PC you don't have on the laptop?

Good points Bob. As mentioned previously, if it is a resource issue anywhere (CPU, Disk, RAM, even Network), the Task Manager, Resource Monitor, or even Process Explorer should be able to identify it. Process Explorer takes a bit more driving, but the information it provides is significantly more than the other two tools.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
AudioTrack #723295 07/07/22 01:46 AM
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Gary.

I would definitely try that edirol and see if the stuts go away.
If it has a user control panel try increasing the buffers. same for creative if it lets you change buffers.

A point to make is most audio interfaces today have such a control panel with a myriad of features including ability to change the buffers.
If the setting is too low sometimes the pc cant handle it and stuts occur. Something important to bear in mind. Does the creative have a buffer control panel ??

Another point is certain daw’s report stats on a sound device.
One aspect i like bout reaper daw is at top right it reports the latency of a sound device. I’m 4ms or less. if cake has this feature its sometimes useful in diagnosis.
If its too low stuts might occur. It would be interesting feedback to rest of us if you could report the latency in ms reported for the creative.

I’m also curious if you get stuts in realband. If you dont in rb but DO in bb,...
his is something to diagnose. .thus i would suggest genning rt’s etc in rb and see what happens.

Gary in addition re new pc, you dont have to spend a lot.
I , and others on these forums love refurbished off lease pc's.
Many of which are beasts of a pc if selected wisely …that can often be had for less than 400 buckies. ..look for HP Z (or lenovo or dell equivalents) workstations.
just google refurbished HP (or lenovo or dell) workstation , 32 gb ram , ssd etc etc.

The states is flooded with off lease beasts of pc’s for little money that come with lots of memory, and you can stuff em’ with multiple ssd’s. AND they often come with 1 year warranties.
I love refurbs cos all the junk is taken off them and with the right refurber they are performance tuned. Just ensure when buying you can return for full refund. Thats what i do…and it might be hard to believe ,...
BUT over many years of buying refurbs i havent had even ONE problem with any. an old refurb i have boots into win in a few secs from cold. same for bb.

Just trying to help/happiness/wishing only the best.
om

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 07/08/22 03:52 AM.

New Song "PRETTY GIRL" for my wife...Dec 2023
(my vocs....mixed for good earbuds.)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs/prettygirlrbfinalcalfsongsdec2023mp3
(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
AudioTrack #723300 07/07/22 02:24 AM
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: AudioTrack
Originally Posted By: Bob Calver

Good points Bob. As mentioned previously, if it is a resource issue anywhere (CPU, Disk, RAM, even Network), the Task Manager, Resource Monitor, or even Process Explorer should be able to identify it. Process Explorer takes a bit more driving, but the information it provides is significantly more than the other two tools.

All good points. I will add that a virus and/or malware can cause such problems and they may or may not be detected with the above tests. A few messages back I suggested a thorough computer scan using free software. Hopefully Gary has run them and is virus and malware free.

AT, thanx for Process Explorer. That is a new one for me.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
MarioD #723310 07/07/22 03:24 AM
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Quote:
AT, thanx for Process Explorer. That is a new one for me.

Thanks for the thanx! Yes, it's a very powerful tool and one I use occasionally when diagnosing difficult to locate resource issues that are problematic to pinpoint. The top graphs quickly allow one to locate not just instantaneous resource demands, but historical ones also. A great feature.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Gary Curran #723351 07/07/22 09:19 AM
Veteran
Veteran
Gary,

Another setting that may prove helpful is in the RealTrack settings; Ctrl+E > RealTracks.

Enable (Check) the "Speed up generation of RealTracks" and then set the Tempo/Pitch Stretching quality selection to "Low".

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Clipboard01 RealTrack Settings.jpg (148.45 KB, 209 downloads)
Ctrl+E > RealTracks button

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Gary Curran #723417 07/08/22 06:06 AM
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Hi Gary,
I PM'd you a couple files that will let us test and confirm if this is specific to 2022, 2021 and/or any specific build.

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
Gary Curran #723436 07/08/22 12:42 PM
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
So, Andrew sent me the cores for both BIAB 2021 and 2022, and both of them failed the same way. I guess the basics of this is that I'm going to need to get a new computer, since I really think that's where the problem is right now.

Gary

I'm blessed watching God do what He does best. I've had a few rough years, and I'm still not back to where I want to be, but I'm on the way and things are looking far better now than what they were!
Gary Curran #723447 07/08/22 04:54 PM
Veteran
Veteran
I am tremendously puzzled by this.

Without rereading the whole thread, have you posted a song where this happens, so we can test?

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Matt Finley #723491 07/09/22 10:05 AM
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I have not posted a song. I had to shut my webpage down quite a while ago, so I don't have anywhere to stick it, but it seems to fail with any song, and any style I use. But, as I told Andrew, it's not an 'all the time' thing, i.e., it can happen multiple places in a song, and multiple times, OR, it may not happen at all.

Gary Curran #723660 07/11/22 05:42 AM
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: Gary Curran
I guess the basics of this is that I'm going to need to get a new computer, since I really think that's where the problem is right now.

Gary

That may be true, though I'm sceptical that this is a CPU issue as I have both a desktop and a notepad PC with BiaB 2022, the desktop (i5-7400) about 25% more powerful than yours, the laptop probably rather less than yours (dual-core Celeron 1.5GHz).

On the notepad I have to stop some background MS services or sometimes things go into a stuttering mode. I also can't use VSTs that are CPU-resource heavy like PianoTeq. What I do notice with this (Win8.1) PC, though is that once the stuttering starts even killing the probably-offending MS programs doesn't seem to get BiaB to recover.

On the desktop, I just ran a song (Caveat: using Wine on Linux) with ten tracks active, six RealTracks and four MIDI tracks with Native Instruments VSTIs on them and BiaB takes ~10% of the grand total of ~15% CPU. I doubt that BiaB under Wine is more efficient than on Windows (though it may be a little as RealBand reports more tracks available than on Win10 ... I know not why and am cautious about believing it, though this has a performance-oriented kernel). This machine does have a graphics card, though I think BiaB should mostly be lightweight in the graphics as there's little going on on the screen.

My suspicion is that it isn't the CPU, but it might be related some other part of the hardware, maybe a graphics chip and driver (maybe you've already tried that)? Might it be possible to turn off the screen when BiaB is running or try a lower resolution. Years ago we used to turn off the Ethernet, but I'm doubtful that would a problem now. Bluetooth?

Jazz relative beginner, starting at a much older age than was helpful.
Kawai MP6, Korg M50, Ui24R, Saffire Pro 40.
AVL:MXE Linux; Windows 11; Win8.1: Scarletts
BIAB2022 UltraPAK, Reaper, a bunch of stuff.
Gordon Scott #723721 07/11/22 04:06 PM
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Gordon,
I"m not sure. Right now, I have BIAB loaded onto a laptop, and it's doing what I need to do there. There may be an issue with this computer, I do have a problem with one slot, although upon examination I can't see anything wrong with it, but it doesn't work properly. (I'm an electronics tech, I know what I'm looking for) Everything else does, so I'm wondering if there is a problem on the Motherboard. Since it doesn't effect the audio or video streaming of anything else, live streams, YouTube, other audio including Cakewalk, I didn't think it would effect BIAB. But, any more, I don't know. It's endemic to this computer, not my other ones, so that's all I can guess.

So, maybe it's making a call out somewhere on the board, and getting bounced around and coming back as a failure. I don't know.

Gary

Gary Curran #723757 07/12/22 03:51 AM
Expert
Expert
I know how frustrating these things can be!

I had the same thinking (I too am tech), that it's likely something motherboard-related, which could be anything from a dodgy capacitor to a chip fault to a fundamental flaw in the board design.

Whilst money is tight and if the laptop does the job for now, I personally would be tempted to live with it. YMMV.

Gordon Scott #723807 07/12/22 11:44 AM
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Which is where I'm going with it. If necessary, after I build it out in the laptop the way I want it, I can transfer the file to the desktop, open Cakewalk, and use the PlugIn to put the tracks in Cakewalk and go from there. It's just a pain to have to move from one to the other, physical room, etc.

But, yeah, if that's the way it has to be, so be it, at least until I find some more money.

G

Gary Curran #725983 07/29/22 06:27 PM
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
An update to this. It would appear that the problem was a hardware issue. Replacing the motherboard, CPU, RAM and video card appears to hvae fixed the problem, at least for now. So, I'm thankful that all of you were here to offer your suggestions and your help in this matter. I'm sorry I put you through all of that, though, for what probably was an issue on the motherboard.

Gary

Gary Curran #725996 07/30/22 12:47 AM
Expert
Expert
I'm glad you have it sorted, though sad that you had to replace so much.

Unusual for a motherboard to be the issue, but certainly not unheard of. If the problem returns (and I hope it doesn't) another sometime cause is the PSU having a low or dirty voltage.

Gary Curran #726000 07/30/22 01:12 AM
Veteran
Veteran
I remain puzzled, but I’m glad it’s working for you. So the only things you didn’t replace were your disk drives (keeping the case and peripherals); did Windows have to be reauthorized?

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Matt Finley #726106 07/30/22 06:37 PM
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi Matt,
Yeah, I have a relatively new Seasonic PSU, my Go-To PSU. I kept the case, the hard drives, the sound card and that was about it.

As to reauthorizing, yes, but I had the serial number, so it wasn't an issue. Same thing for my copy of Office 2010, that needed to be reauthorized, too, although I just clicked on the button for that.

During all my issues, I lost my primary computer due to a bad CPU. I had been using liquid cooling and while there was fluid in the tank, I think the lines gunked up and the CPU overheated, slowly. So, I still had the hard drives. My sister gave me an older Gateway computer, with a third generation i5 in it and I think the mainboard might have had an issue, and that was made more evident after I posted the thread when I tried to install an USB 3.0 PCI-e card and it wouldn't recognize it. The only slot was the GPU slot (there was built in graphics I was using).

So, I spent money I didn't have to spend, picked up the stuff I needed, and while my new CPU is only a Ryzen 5 5600G, it should work for a while.

Gary

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,399
Posts732,550
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199