Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Beginners Forum
R
OP Offline
R
Hi everybody.

I have the 2020 BIAB hdd and am using the split system, running BIAB from the C drive, and accessing the sounds from the hdd. I'm on Windows 7. I haven't used the program much, so still very much a beginner, have barely used it since I got the hard drive, and I haven't used it at all in a couple of years.

My question is, the HDD is seen by Windows as an unremovable drive (U - I don't remember now if it came that way, with the letter U assigned, or if I did that myself). It's listed as Disk 1, under Disk 0 (which is the OS on C: drive) in Computer Management.

Because it's "not removable" I can't use the Safely Remove and Eject. When I try, tt always says "Windows can't stop your 'Generic Volume' device because a program is still using it ..." Of course there's nothing open.

After several hours of google research, I understand now that it's because an HDD is not seen as removable, but treated like an internal hard drive, even though it's USB. I've read in multiple places that this is not changeable. (A few rabbit trails, indicating it is, lead to not so good results, super old info, etc.)

Apparently the only way to safely remove the HDD is shutting down the computer and then unplugging it. But I normally leave my Windows 7 desktop running or in standby. I rarely turn it off.

I don't want the HDD to be constantly plugged in, as I'm not going to be using it very often. I'm extremely leary of just unplugging it anyway, in spite of the "warning" because I've been down that road before.

Some years ago, I had lots of pics on a Passport HDD that got corrupted by doing that. It came up as "RAW - 0 bytes" in windows and wasn't readable. I was able to use some data recovery tool to save most of the pics and save them to a new HDD, but was a huge PITA, and no filenames are preserved. Don't want to repeat that.

What does everybody else who bought a BIAB hard drive do?

Beginners Forum
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Quote:
My question is, the HDD is seen by Windows as an unremovable drive (U - I don't remember now if it came that way, with the letter U assigned, or if I did that myself). It's listed as Disk 1, under Disk 0 (which is the OS on C: drive) in Computer Management.

I don't think your disk is non-removable. I think you probably assigned the disk the letter U at some point. This is a trick that some people use with external hard disks to force them to have the same letter when you disconnect and reconnect them. This way, a file can always be accessed using the same path, like U:\bb\bbw64.exe, instead of G:\bb\bbw64.exe one day and H:\bb\bbw64.exe the next.

If you assign a high drive letter, windows is less likely to change it the next time you plug the drive in, even if you've been plugging in other devices in the mean-time. Right-click on the Windows flag / 'start menu' and click Disk Management, and you can then right-click on your external hard disk and 'change drive letter / path'.

Windows being unable to eject your disk 'because there is a program using it' is a very common problem. Even if you don't have any Explorer windows open, and there doesn't appear to be any visible program running, there might be some background process using the drive - for example an antivirus program running a scan among a long list of other techy things. This is something that I think improved in Windows 10. Typically, Windows will now usually give the "ok" to eject a device on the second try even if it fails on the first - not sure of the reason behind that.

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Personally, I would not leave the computer running all the time. Shutting it off lets it cool off and rest, and clears the cashe from it's day to day business of record keeping.

I run an older machine with XP Pro 32 and have it set up in the way you describe but without the designated drive number. Since the computer is always run with the same stuff connected and I occasionally pop in a USB thumb drive..... nothing ever changes with the HDD for PG. It always appears as the same drive number/letter.

I have also disconnected the HDD with the machine running and there were no issues.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Beginners Forum
R
OP Offline
R
Hi - thanks for taking the time to answer. Yes, you are right. I'm pretty sure I probably set the drive letter, so that BIAB could find the files every time. It was awhile back so my memory is fuzzy, but I think at the time, I was working on pictures on another external drive, so wanted each to maintain its own letter. I'm not sure if I should try to change it back at this point. I don't want to have to change the prefs in BIAB to tell it where to find the real tracks, every time the computer auto-assigns a different letter each time I plug it in.

From my research online, it seems a lot of folks are having the issue that these days external hard drives being seen as "non-removable" anyway, even if they didn't assign a letter, as opposed to flash drives. As I said, I'm a bit nervous about it, since windows corrupted one of my eternal drives before. I was just curious how others who are using the BIAB drive are handling this. I know some people run the BIAB program from their external drive. I'm curious about others who have the program on C drive and keeping the real tracks on the BIAB hard drive.

Thanks again for your response. It's one of the things that makes the BIAB forums so great.

Beginners Forum
Journeyman
Journeyman
As an aside, there are two kinds of caching: read caching and write caching. The one that can really cause problems is write caching. Things can get scrambled if something is written to the write cache but not committed to the drive.

Anyone remember MS-DOS v4? That piece of software junk not only introduced write caching, it turned it on by default. Lots of peeps who upgraded to DOS 4 got corrupted DBase III databases after that, when they just powered down their PC without flushing the write cache first. Mickeysoft added that feature and didn't really publicize it. But turning it on by default? Super bad idea. I was running real-time SCADA (supervisory control) databases and customers were upgrading their DOS from v3 to v4 and getting corrupted databases. That one took me awhile to figure out. I kept shipping DOS 3.3 until DOS 5 was released. DOS 4 sucked big time.

ThinkPad i9 32GB RAM 7TB SSD; Win11 Pro; PreSonus Studio 1810c; BiaB 2024 Ultra
Studio One 6 Pro; MuseScore 4; Melodyne 5 Studio; Acoustica Premium 7; Guitar Pro 8
Gig Performer 4; NI S61 MK3; Focal Shape 65; Beyerdynamic DT 880 & 770
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
As I said, I'm a bit nervous about it, since windows corrupted one of my eternal drives before.

As far as losing stuff with a bad drive eject -
Personally, I keep all my RT/RD stuff an a drive separate from C:
I use a separate internal drive, so my answer may be a little different than your question.. but same principle applies
That way the original drive is left intact and not used unless needed for a catastrophic restore situation (which I have been lucky not to have to do so far).

Same thing could be done with a second USB external drive .. copy what you need to that and use it as needed, but keep an original copy on-hand
Of course, all your original RTs are safely in your account at PGMusic, so if it *really came down to it you could re-download everything, but that would be quite time-consuming in a pinch.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Beginners Forum
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
"Windows can't stop your 'Generic Volume' device because a program is still using it...

The problem you mention has happened to me a few times, especially when I delete things from that drive and then do not delete it from the recycle bin.

Maybe that's what's happening to you. Before unplugging the drive delete the contents of the recycle bin if you have sent something there. since I do it always lets me disconnect safely.

Greetings

Last edited by Gsus; 07/06/22 03:13 PM.

To the one who gets up early, nobody makes him breakfast.
Beginners Forum
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Harddrives are also safe to remove while the computer is completely turned off, so that is an option as well.

Cheers,
Ember
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,394
Posts732,489
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195