RealBand
S
ShawnR Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
S
Greetings,

BIAB automatically assigns a reverb of "40" to the jazz style tracks I have been using, but I can also hear that there is no automatic reverb assignment in RB. What is the reverb setting required in RB to replicate the "40" reverb setting in BIAB?

Thanks,
Shawn

BIAB/RealBand 2024 Audiophile | GPO 5 | Windows 11
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Not sure what you mean.
If you open RB Mixer screen and right click a MIDI track Reverb it usually is defaulted to 40.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
RealBand
S
ShawnR Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
S
I guess I should clarify that I am working with RealTracks. BIAB will automatically apply a reverb - in this case '40' - to RealTracks. While I do see a reverb setting (also 40) when expanding a RB track, my understanding is that this only applies to midi tracks. This understanding is consistent with what I hear as listening to the isolated RB track makes clear that no reverb is automatically applied to RB-generated RealTracks.

I know I can apply reverb to RealTracks in RB; I'm simply trying to find out which of the stock reverb settings within RB ("Small Room Bright", "Medium Room Low Density", etc.) is the setting that most closely approximates the '40' setting in BIAB.

Thanks,
Shawn

BIAB/RealBand 2024 Audiophile | GPO 5 | Windows 11
RealBand
Expert
Expert
i think if you open a BIAB file in RB you lose the fx - reverb and eq that BIAB builds into the style.

but if you drag and drop the master button to the wav drop area and then when the wavs have all been generated drag the wavs in to RB you'll get audio tracks with the original BIAB fx incl reverb.

i always make sure that when i open RB, the blank RB track has the same key set as the BIAB file and the same bpm. only drawback is that the chords don't transfer over so you'll have to reinterpret them and they don't always match the BIAB chords you entered exactly (at least that's what i've found). BUT if you don't need to generate new tracks - jsut record vocal or such then that doesn't matter.

i'm sure more expert BIAB and RB users can give you some more advice.

you'll need to use the DAW setting in BIAB to make the window smaller and to keep it on top when you are dragging and dropping but tis all in the manual.

RealBand
Expert
Expert
and by the way, the 40% only works with midi tracks - the 40% is a instruction to the synth you are using. RealTracks are audio and the fx are audio fx

RealBand
Apprentice
Apprentice
to Bob Calver
re opening BIAB in RB.
I find it easier to right click the MGU file and instruct it to open in RealBand.
That way the Chords, Part Markers, Tempo changes etc are all kept in place.
There are various options within BIAB to control the tracks that open, (I think MIDi tracks open by default) Options for RealTracks are for stereo/mono, with/without Fx, Normalize etc. I Drag&Drop RTs separately because I sometimes regenerate individual tracks with Holds, Slight chord variations etc.
Hope this is of help.

Vintage

RealBand
Expert
Expert
thanks Vintage but i'm pretty sure that that method still loses the fx and eq as they are generated in the BIAB program

i have thought of using a sort of hybrid method - open the BIAB file in RB, delete all the tracks and then reopen the file in BIAB and drop and drag the individual wavs across. cumbersome but all the fx and eqs would be intact as well as the chord sheet, bpm and key setting. anyone got a better idea?

RealBand
Expert
Expert
mmmmmmmmm just experimented with drop and drag and the fx seem to disappear.....certainly BIAB sounds 'livelier'

any comments on whether i got it right? RB seems to play back at a lower volume and the mix seems a little differnt - drums more to the fore

RealBand
Apprentice
Apprentice
to Bob Calver
Have you tried the options for WAV export.
On the older display showing all the icons it's along the top row, you have SAVE, SAVE AS, MID, then .WAV,
This opens to Export Song as Audio File, selecting this gives the various options for Mono/Stereo, Tracks flat dry and centre, etc.
Personally I prefer to use Mono and FD&C then add Fx in DAW but I have experimented with this in the past and have been able to Drag&Drop with Fx and Stereo placement.

Vintage

RealBand
Expert
Expert
OK simple experiment. If you put biab default reverb on aux1 and set to 100% wet the aux 1 knobs on the mixer strip for realtracks is set to 40 - I think its a hangover from midi only days. Starting with a biab song and a blank rb project I set the rb to the right bpm and key. Dragged the biab master to the wav drop station. Centre and dry is NOT checked for wav files. Drag into rb and I get tracks with fx and reverb. Reanalyse chords gives me my chords with only a minor need to correct. So, all good.
But I have noticed rb plays a little lower in volume than biab. Maybe pg music apply compression to the master output? Just guessing and probably wrong. But I now have a way to go from biab to rb. All I need to do is turn up the speakers on rb to sound just like the biab track.
No need to add reverb as it crosses over from biab

Last edited by Bob Calver; 07/27/22 07:47 AM.
RealBand
Apprentice
Apprentice
I've also noticed the lower vol in RB compared with BIAB and always assumed it was some setting I was missing, but it never bothered me enough to investigate.

Glad the Fx etc have worked for you.

Vintage

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,396
Posts732,510
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195