Go To
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
S
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
S
Can BIAB analyze chord progressions?
I like this song, but I can't confirm the chord progression.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bs-Ka956FZg

I use other software to analyze the song is B minor
But I feel like it's E minor?
But also like B major. I'm confused

Last edited by swingbabymix; 08/02/22 06:42 PM.

WIN10 20H2, AMD R4800H ,16G , 2T ,FOCUSRITE 2i4 MKII,Studio One,FL STUDIO
Expert
Expert
Hello Swingbabymix,
Honestly, I don't try to figure out something like that with automatic chord analysis. It's much easier to type in Google "chords of Slidin' Derulo Kodak" and you'll immediately get pages showing the chord progression, in this case the main chords are Em, A , F#m, B7. You can try to interpret the chords as steps of a B scale, but I would not see it that way. For me, it is more a repeated shift of a II-V chord progression (not resolving to I) of the D major scale by a whole tone upwards, which is a very common figure at the end of jazz songs, for example (II-V-III-VI-II-V-I).

Biab/RB latest build, German Language Pak, Win 10/64 Pro, 1 TB SSD, 32 GB RAM. Notation SW Finale, StaffPad, SmartsScore – Playing Double Bass, Guitar, Piano
Veteran
Veteran
Yes, it can.

Please view the videos on using the Audio Chord Wizard.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Veteran
Veteran
Part of the problem with typing a chord request into a search engine is the variety of answers...and that it's quite possible none are accurate.
I grabbed the 1st result from a Duck Duck Go search and the chords are listed as
Em A B Em7.

Audio Chord wizard isn't going to be 100% either BUT at least there's some control over the result in that it can be tweaked to suit.

It is an horrid video...I didn't get far into it or the song.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
S
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
S
Originally Posted By: Brille
Hello Swingbabymix,
Honestly, I don't try to figure out something like that with automatic chord analysis. It's much easier to type in Google "chords of Slidin' Derulo Kodak" and you'll immediately get pages showing the chord progression, in this case the main chords are Em, A , F#m, B7. You can try to interpret the chords as steps of a B scale, but I would not see it that way. For me, it is more a repeated shift of a II-V chord progression (not resolving to I) of the D major scale by a whole tone upwards, which is a very common figure at the end of jazz pieces, for example (II-V-III-VI-II-V-I).

Thanks for the analysis.

Here is another explanation I see

Em7 - A - Bsus4 - B - Em7- A -F#

iv7 - bVII - I

B major

Thanks for all the replies above

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: rayc

+1

https://soundcloud.com/user-646279677
BiaB 2024 Windows
For me there’s no better place in the band than to have one leg in the harmony world and the other in the percussive. Thank you Paul Tutmarc and Leo Fender.
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Bass Thumper
Originally Posted By: rayc

+1

Another +1

This is not something that I would listen too or play but others like it so it is for them and not me. Everybody is different.

Last edited by MarioD; 08/03/22 02:56 AM.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Veteran
Veteran
There are other ways to get chord charts which I didn't go into. I just answered the original question.
Good luck with the song. With a bit of effort I think you can get something works for you.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Expert
Expert
Audiotrack,
You're absolutely right, the question was "Is there an automatic chord analysis in Band in a Box?", and your answer with the reference to the ACW is exactly right :-).
In fact the ACW is rather unsuitable for this kind of music, I tried it with the song in question and the ACW result has indeed hardly anything to do with the actual chords. That's why I referred to the google search.
However, the ACW actually works surprisingly well at times with music where chords can be heard clearly and distinctly.

Biab/RB latest build, German Language Pak, Win 10/64 Pro, 1 TB SSD, 32 GB RAM. Notation SW Finale, StaffPad, SmartsScore – Playing Double Bass, Guitar, Piano
Veteran
Veteran
Brille, Many thanks.
Actually, I think everyone who contributed was right in their own way. They all added value to the underlying requirement. I agree that ACW is possibly not ideal for this song (although I didn't actually try it). I also agree that other ways to find the chord layout would potentially deliver a better outcome. So the multiple suggestions are all worthy of consideration.

I hope SBM posts his result once the song is completed.

J
Veteran
Veteran
J
sbm.

i was taught in music class ages ago ...
'the bass normally gives the chord progression away'.
this has stood me in good stead over many years playing along with my fav songs...and figuring out chords.

another technique , if your stuck on a certain chord is to arpeggiate in your mind. while looping the section your stuck on.

as well as above and the acw there is also other software on the net you can load a song into and it tells you the chords. eg riff something ?

hth//ymmv

om

New Song "PRETTY GIRL" for my wife...Dec 2023
(my vocs....mixed for good earbuds.)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs/prettygirlrbfinalcalfsongsdec2023mp3
(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: justanoldmuso
...as well as above and the acw there is also other software on the net you can load a song into and it tells you the chords. eg riff something ?

ChordAI is getting good reviews at present:

S
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
S
Originally Posted By: AudioTrack
Originally Posted By: justanoldmuso
...as well as above and the acw there is also other software on the net you can load a song into and it tells you the chords. eg riff something ?

ChordAI is getting good reviews at present:

It looks good, but it seems that there is no WINDWOS version

Veteran
Veteran
It does appears that it is not currently available for Windows. I hope that would change. Perhaps they are considering a Windows version?

Veteran
Veteran
I wrote to ChordAI re: possibility of a Windows version.
This is the reply:

Quote:

Thank you for your email. Windows version is indeed our top-1 request from users.
Unfortunately there is no windows version planned for now.
Maybe in the future but without guarantee. We prefer focusing on iOS / MacOS / Android with our current limited resources.

S
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
S
Originally Posted By: AudioTrack
I wrote to ChordAI re: possibility of a Windows version.
This is the reply:

Looking forward to future products supporting WINDOWS

Expert
Online Content
Expert
There are emulators on Windows, Mac and Linux for both iOS and Android that may offer an option if it's a 'must'.

I've never used any, so can't comment of how well, or even if, they would support ChordAI.

Jazz relative beginner, starting at a much older age than was helpful.
Kawai MP6, Korg M50, Ui24R, Saffire Pro 40.
AVL:MXE Linux; Windows 11; Win8.1: Scarletts
BIAB2022 UltraPAK, Reaper, a bunch of stuff.
Veteran
Veteran
As I do not know the song, the first thing I would do is google "Chords and Lyrics to Jason Derulo - Slidin'"

That will normally return information about the song in several keys. It also will sometimes return videos on how to play the song. It does not matter if you play an instrument or not. The how to play the song video will give you some idea of the chord progression. An example...https://youtu.be/XTCQIQvISt0

Yes, BIAB can analyze chord progressions. But...

It is unlikely that BIAB will provide much useful chord information for this style of song. There are many things that make this song sound the way it does and the chord progression is not a very important part of the overall production idea.

Leaving out the impact of the visuals, this like many modern songs depends on rhythmic information rather than melody or harmony.

Billy

Last edited by Planobilly; 08/05/22 11:10 AM.

New location, new environment, new music coming soon

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo
J
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
J

There is an iOS app that is available free from Yamaha . It’s called the Yamaha Chord Tracker. The app is designed to analyze music and download it to the PSR S series keyboards but you can use the chord analysis function with out their keyboard.
It is very accurate.
It can be set to basic or advanced chords.
It shows the fingering for guitar or keyboard .
It’s works with music in the iTunes library or Drop Box

The only draw back is you get rusty when you have to do it by ear.

I hope this helps those of interest.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,391
Posts732,463
Members38,440
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi, mmpartee
38,439 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195