Page 2 of 2 1 2
Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: justanoldmuso
Re CARVIN.
tres YUMMY !
om

When I was a much younger fellow and gigging for a living, I was a HUGE fan of Carvin. I had one of the 50w combos with a single 12" and 2 channels plus it had a unique feature of a third input that fed both channels. I loved that amp but it was constantly blowing the IC chip on one of the channels.... I think it was the clean one. It also was a bit of a speaker blower. The speaker was rated for the amp, but I recall having it sent back and reconed by Carvin several times. And no, I never ran my amps wide open. ( well almost never.... not in a show anyway) I asked and Carvin sent me half a dozen of those chips.... Still have a few in my guitar case but the amp is long gone sadly.

I then figured that I would buy the 100w single 12 with the EV upgrade.... O.M.G!!! That thing was LOUD. Yeah, it cranked and sounded good but it was too loud for my purposes. It had a switch on the back to switch it to 50% power but.... it sounded too mushy when I ran it like that. I sold it and bought my Mesa Boogie Studio 22w. Low power but I could crank it up and get the tone I wanted and since it had a line out....I had tried going with bigger wattage amps and that wasn't giving me satisfaction so I decided to go small with the amp. I fed that to a CARVIN DCA-800 power amp and fed 2 Lab Series 4x12 cabs. 800 hair parting watts if I needed it.... but the DCA has input attenuators and I would run the DCA at about 40%. That gave me plenty of stage volume for the venues we played. I used the Mesa to power a 15" JBL in a Fender cabinet placed like a floor monitor pointed up where I could get the guitar in my face at my mic. That Mesa DCA rig was my overall favorite in all the bands and all the amps I used. I still have the Mesa and I still have the DCA but the cabs are long gone as well. When I left the last band.... it was a 2.5 yr run with a house band.... I sold most of my gear and PA equipment to another band. Kept what I wanted and started building my studio setup at that time.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 09/02/21 09:17 AM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Journeyman
Journeyman
i forgot to add..
how do amplitube users contact ik if they have a problem ?
email ?
cheers
om

Their support is very responsive. I had an issue with SampleTank 4 and even though we are half a world away from them the email process of troubleshooting and fixing my problem worked quite well. They would not rest until I was completely satisfied.

My wife asked if I had seen the dog bowl. I told her I didn't even know he could.
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Re CARVIN.
tres YUMMY !
om

Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
I then figured that I would buy the 100w single 12 with the EV upgrade.... O.M.G!!! That thing was LOUD. Yeah, it cranked and sounded good but it was too loud for my purposes. It had a switch on the back to switch it to 50% power but.... it sounded too mushy when I ran it like that.

GH - I think you're talking about the X100 or X100B - that's one of the two Carvins I have - see the fuzzy beast in all it's glory below. I paid $50 for it in non-working condition, cleaned the controls, replaced the tubes, and repaired a damaged section of the circuit board (the part that provides bias to one of the power tubes) and it's all working nicely again. I agree about the 50% switch (mine can actually do 100%, 50%, and 25%) - it doesn't sound that great. The better option for me was to remove the outer pair of power tubes to run it at 50 watts (change output impedance to 8ohm instead of 16ohm to match) and use an attenuator when necessary (the silver box on top of the amp, which was DIY and can handle ~100 watts).

Muso - the Carvin I mentioned before is the other two pics - the MTS3200. All tube beast (save for a couple clipping diodes in the drive channel) with an excellent clean channel and tube-driven reverb! It's quite heavy and has only one handle, so I re-housed the amp into a head to make it easier to carry.

Now don't make me decide which amp I like better, that's too hard! Besides, the answer is always my Rivera Knucklehead...

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
X100B.jpg (261.17 KB, 102 downloads)
MTS-1.jpg (369.8 KB, 102 downloads)
MTS-2.jpg (234.65 KB, 102 downloads)
Last edited by Simon - PG Music; 09/02/21 11:40 AM.

I work here
J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
etcjoe. thanks......... guess i gotta email ik multimedia. i called my favorite music store today who sell the axe , and normally know all product details. but they werent sure bout multi client aspect.

simon...wowser pics. love them. correct me if i'm wrong but i think i read somewhere once that carvins were used on some pretty classic songs.

Guitarhacker...
mesa boogie tres yummy... fyi , ive been so close to getting one so many many times...but each time i saved up family needs came first/other priorities.
ive often wondered , what is it about boogies that are designed differently from other amps ?.
i'd love to know classic rok songs they were used on.

All.
ok heres a reason why i'm looking at axe or other products that give me non fizzy big variety of classic guitar rok tones.
for some time ive been working on a new original punk song. as i'm a brit/cockney born i know the genre.
and like to have fun with it on occasion. this one is fast "ba**s to the wall" with my brit punk vocs.

i'm pretty happy with everything cept my rhythm gtrs left and right of the stereo image which are meant to pound away headbanger style. its the left/right gtrs that i cant get to sound what i hear in my head. ive tried live amps, sims, pedals...all sorts. etc etc.

so at this stage i would say i screwed up engineering wise, and so i'm treating it as a rough demo.
i'm useing biab drums and bass and some bb punk rt's way back in the mix together with my gtr traks for giggles.

what i'm gonna do is have one more go laying down my gtr traks L/R , and in a couple of weeks post the darn demo thats driving me nuts in the user showcase for any ideas on what i might use to get those L/R rhythm gtrs to sound the way i want pounding away. and people can tear the song apart if they wish.
as you can see the song bugs the hey out of me regarding getting the right sound picture i hear in my head ...lol.
so far ive failed. thats life.

best
om (ex punk and also opera singer once .lmao.)

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 09/02/21 01:04 PM.

New Song "PRETTY GIRL" for my wife...Dec 2023
(my vocs....mixed for good earbuds.)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs/prettygirlrbfinalcalfsongsdec2023mp3
(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Simon - PG Music
Re CARVIN.
tres YUMMY !
om

Muso - the Carvin I mentioned before is the other two pics - the MTS3200. All tube beast (save for a couple clipping diodes in the drive channel) with an excellent clean channel and tube-driven reverb! It's quite heavy and has only one handle, so I re-housed the amp into a head to make it easier to carry.

Now don't make me decide which amp I like better, that's too hard! Besides, the answer is always my Rivera Knucklehead...

Back in the old days I was gigging with Carvin equipment. I had a Carvin double neck, forgot the model number, and a huge Carvin amp, the FR1200:

http://www.carvinmuseum.com/decade/images/73-lm1000.html

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Double neck.jpg (763.64 KB, 2 downloads)
Carvin Double Neck Guitar

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
simon...wowser pics. love them. correct me if i'm wrong but i think i read somewhere once that carvins were used on some pretty classic songs.

Definitely - Steve Vai used a Carvin Legacy for a long time. I know the X100B like I have was quite popular as a "Marshall killer", which I agree that it's at least as good as any Marshall I've played (and I've played a lot) but I don't know specifically who used them.

mesa boogie tres yummy... fyi , ive been so close to getting one so many many times...but each time i saved up family needs came first/other priorities.
ive often wondered , what is it about boogies that are designed differently from other amps ?.
i'd love to know classic rok songs they were used on.

Santana uses a Mesa Mark 1 - Santana himself was the person who coined the "Boogie" name - look on Wikipedia for the story. The Mesa Mark II (particularly the Mark IIC and IIC+) were very popular with the 80's metal crowd - Dream Theater, Metallica, many others. There are definitely some hit and miss Mesa's out there - I had a Mesa 5-25 and a Mesa Transatlantic for a bit and was a bit underwhelmed, but they were definitely the wrong style of amp for me - a Mark series or Rectifier would've been more appropriate.

I work here
Veteran
Veteran
Simon,

You left out Stevie Ray and Joe Walsh man.

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Originally Posted By: David Snyder
Simon,

You left out Stevie Ray and Joe Walsh man.

Nice! I'm not the best person at remembering who uses what gear - at least outside of the musical genres I tend to gravitate to (metal), and even then I don't remember my own gear half the time!

I work here
S
S
Awesome recording interface. Simple, intuitive, high quality, and affordable.
https://guitarsrating.com/guitar-pedals/proco-rat-2-distortion-pedal/

Last edited by silentsmith; 08/08/22 07:02 AM.
J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
silentsmith

thanks for the info.

ive got some questions.

1. are axe drivers 'multi client' ? if they are then i'll add em' to this thread.
which is a list of MC sound devices.

https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=723818#Post723818

2. what pg programs and other music production programs are you using axe with ??
3. what latency are you getting with the axe ? lower than 4ms ?
note many daw software will show you the latency eg reaper top right side.
4. what round trip latency do you get ?

best/happiness.

om

New Song "PRETTY GIRL" for my wife...Dec 2023
(my vocs....mixed for good earbuds.)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs/prettygirlrbfinalcalfsongsdec2023mp3
(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,584
Posts734,712
Members38,500
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai
38,499 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 197