Off-Topic
P
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
P
https://farplay.io/

The claim
“ FarPlay reduces the audio delay between yourself and others to the absolute minimum, so much so that you can play music together over the internet in real-time.‘

Lenovo YOGA 900 Window s 10 Home 64bit 16GB RAM\2018 13” MacBook Air casio wk7500 presonus audiobox i2 usb interface
casio wk-7500
biab & realband 2023 everything pk both with Current builds
pghboemike #727272 08/10/22 01:02 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Extremely interesting. Ideal for remote performances, where latency has previously been a significant issue.

And the price is very reasonable too!

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
pghboemike #727279 08/10/22 02:42 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Not following the logic. The lag comes from the internet connection. How can you change latency that happens at your ISP and across the backbones on zee infrawebz? If somebody buys it please let me know. I am not going to buy it because I wouldn't use it but as a networking geek I am interested in know IF it works, and if it does, HOW.

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.
pghboemike #727287 08/10/22 03:29 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Wow, I thought this was impossible! So cool.

...and is 100% free during the open beta. Some kind of dark magic? cry

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

pghboemike #727289 08/10/22 03:36 PM
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Many years ago now I had a chap call in an issue regarding login to a secure session from Australia to some place in the USA which had security built in to disconnect any session not completed the round trip within 100msec. The issue was that any round trip to the USA was 160msec. I had a major issue explaining that transmission was limited to less than the speed of light (at best 90% I’d the speed of light). At the time all transmission was basically serialised even on high speed fibre. Packet prioritisation was not really that well handled.

These days there are many better ways of prioritising packets and methods that will allow parallel paths to make things faster but to my way of thinking there will always be some latency. There will be about 13msecs or so just from the mic into the PC. It looked to me she was already starting the clap in anticipation before he clapped. But then again even when playing together there is a lot of anticipation that holds a group together.

Yep, maybe the technology will help but it will not completely stop latency. Anticipation will play a major part.

My thoughts

Tony

HP i7-4770 16GB 1TB SSD, Win 10 Home,
Focusrite 2i2 3rd Gen, Launchkey 61, Maton CW80, Telecaster, Ovation Elite TX, Yamaha Pacifica 612
BB 2022(912) RB 2022(2), CakeWalk, Reaper 6, Audacity, Melodyne 5 Editor, Izotope Music Production Suite 4.1
eddie1261 #727294 08/10/22 06:10 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
I am not going to buy it because I wouldn't use it but as a networking geek I am interested in know IF it works, and if it does, HOW.

Hi Eddie. It's apparently free (at least for the moment).
I suspect it just uses more efficient routing, but that's only a guess.
Trev

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
pghboemike #727323 08/11/22 03:33 AM
Off-Topic
J
Expert
Expert
J
It's all about the internet connection folks. They are located in France and Switzerland and they stated their latency is around 16-17 MS AND both of them are on Fiber connections, which is ultra fast, if you are lucky to have the luxury.

I am in Springfield, MO and I just did a ping test from Springfield to Des Moines,IA (about the same distance) and my latency was 60ms download and 123ms upload.

That would defiantly not be acceptable for this purpose.

You can't go any faster then the traffic on the freeway.

I'll pass until I can get connected to fiber.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
speedtest.jpg (125.53 KB, 110 downloads)

BIAB2024
Windows 10 Pro
WA6NCB
pghboemike #727324 08/11/22 04:02 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I'm on 20mb DSL.... I wonder how well that would work for me.... (don't answer that)

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Guitarhacker #727330 08/11/22 04:56 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
I'm on 20mb DSL.... I wonder how well that would work for me.... (don't answer that)

Could you try two cans and a tight piece of string? (runs, ducking for cover grin )

- Oh, sorry, I wasn't supposed to answer. Apologies.

pghboemike #727335 08/11/22 06:27 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I haven't tried it yet but the concept sounds cool. My ASSumption is that you may get hung up on the delayed signal. Even on the demo they said they had to shift the video time so that it appeared they clapped when they did. I guess if both parties are on the best internet, it could work.

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
pghboemike #727337 08/11/22 07:01 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Steve, you live in Spectrum land like I do. I have aping of 43ms and downstream of 247.7 mbps. I have no idea why they leave the upstream at 12 mbps, but through all the speed increases they have never changed that provisioning for more than 12 mpbs up.

Were you down Tuesday night at all, or don't you use them for TV? I use their streaming and the auth server must have gone down because for 6 hours nobody could log into it. They have 10 million "TV by stream only" users so you can imagine the phone call and online traffic they had. Eventually they either shut the phones off on purpose or they got overloaded and died on their own. People were reporting that they'd call in, get 1 ring, and it would hang up.

2. Send it to us.
eddie1261 #727355 08/11/22 10:10 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: eddie1261
Were you down Tuesday night at all, or don't you use them for TV?

Nope. We have the 1 Gig service for internet only. We get our TV through Amazon Firesticks connected to each TV in the house. The Firesticks all connect to the Spectrum internet wirelessly. We "cut the cable" a couple of years ago for TV.

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
pghboemike #727363 08/11/22 11:51 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
There are several companies developing similar products.

Audiomovers, SessionWire, and ConnectionOpen

ConnectionOpen, is the VOIP solution that doesn’t compromise on audio quality. It allows voice talent and studios to collaborate remotely using uncompressed audio, from start to finish, with minimal latency. Webcam video and screen sharing are also supported, to communicate and share ideas visually too. This is what they say.

SessionWire, “I was able to monitor through Sessionwire in LA what was happening in Japan while setting up to record a drum kit. Because this is an audio engineering class, we really wanted the high-quality audio in stereo. Sessionwire, with its high-quality audio feature, was perfect for that” What someone in LA said.

Audiomovers, I have actually used Audiomovers from Miami to New York City. The results were mixed. On some days there was next to no latency but on other days it was unusable. Both myself and the people in New York had one gig fiber connections.

I don't see how any software could provide routing from one POP to the next.

There is going to be latency no matter what. The signal is about 1.5 times slower in fiber than in air.

I just checked the internet speed that I pay $70 a month for and it is running at 1/10 the correct speed. AT&T is always a rip-off. Welcome to living in a third-world country.

The South Korean government has encouraged its citizens to get computers and to hook up to high-speed Internet connections by subsidizing the price of connections for low-income and traditionally unconnected people.

We are too poverty-stricken here I guess to have high-speed internet for everyone.

Billy

EDIT: Got my internet back up to speed. Only took 30 min on the phone with AT&T.

The two people in the video are not very far apart and with a good internet connection, they should normally be able to work in very near real-time. Paris, in general, has poor internet speeds. Bern has good internet speeds and about 16% higher average speeds than the USA.

Also, Zoom has some enhanced audio that can be turned on.

Last edited by Planobilly; 08/11/22 12:50 PM.

New location, new environment, new music coming soon

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo
pghboemike #727379 08/11/22 02:50 PM
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
There is delay from the instrument into the pc followed by delay from the pc to the router then from the router to the first step to the ISP and this goes on to every router on every hop. Sometimes a connection can have multiple parallel paths allowing packets of data to go down different paths which may make things faster. However once packets reach the end router they must be realigned into the original order.

All of this can take time. Even on a Gigabit service each bit follows the one ahead therefore there must be a little latency even assuming no errors or retransmission.

A speed test on my link for example shows a ping response 40ms to a server 100 or so Km away on a link that delivers 50Mbits. Since retiring I don’t handle this sort of stuff anymore.

There are ways to fudge it but unless Einstein was wrong there are limitations to speed. The limitation will result in delay (or if you prefer Latency).

My thoughts
Tony

HP i7-4770 16GB 1TB SSD, Win 10 Home,
Focusrite 2i2 3rd Gen, Launchkey 61, Maton CW80, Telecaster, Ovation Elite TX, Yamaha Pacifica 612
BB 2022(912) RB 2022(2), CakeWalk, Reaper 6, Audacity, Melodyne 5 Editor, Izotope Music Production Suite 4.1
AudioTrack #727411 08/12/22 03:36 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: AudioTrack
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker

Could you try two cans and a tight piece of string? (runs, ducking for cover grin )

- Oh, sorry, I wasn't supposed to answer. Apologies.

Lol.... yeah, we live back in the woods. I'm about 1000' from the road. We bought this place specifically because the house is not visible from the road.... in fact you can't see it until you're almost at the house. We wanted privacy after having lived in a neighborhood where the neighbors on all sides and several houses away could see what you were doing in your backyard. When I bought it, we contacted Spectrum to run their internet cable to the house. The day of the scheduled install, they were a no-show. About 2 hrs later, and a labyrinth of phone menus later, I finally got in touch with a lady who then explained..... Sir.... you live off the road a distance. By my satellite view, it looks like there are 4 power poles from the street to your house. We don't count the first one but to run past the distance to the first one is approximately $4000 per giving you a total install cost of $12,000 which must be paid up front before we will install for you.

Uhhh, nope.

So I called the DSL phone company who offered the install for their normal $49.99 even after I explained that it was 1000'. No problem Sir. When would you like this installed? They left the service pedestal, ran 200' up the side of the road, bored under the road, and buried 1000' on my land up the power line right of way to the house. The technician gave us a balanced DSL line so we'd have 20mbs. Unfortunately, it was the fastest he could offer based on the equipment in the area.

Apparently, the government subsidies to make sure under-served areas have access to high speed internet don't apply to me.

For a while I thought I was going to have to do like one of my customers who lives further off the road than I do. They have to use a cellphone hotspot for their internet. I wasn't going to go with satellite internet no matter what.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Guitarhacker #727472 08/12/22 10:03 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Herb
I have a friend who lives in a remote area and had difficulties with internet speed and performance. He installed a 5G wireless modem and now has blazingly fast internet, faster than my fiber connection. It might not be for everyone, but it worked for him.

pghboemike #727477 08/12/22 10:16 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Any idea how far he is from a tower, Trev? The tower proximity is key. When I am close to a tower I get amazing speed on my 5G. But when I get into less populated areas the towers are further between and that performance varies. When I first got a 5G phone I used a tower map and tested at varying distances and it is really great when you are near a tower that is a higher power tower. For home internet, since neither your home or the tower are moving, I would imagine that once you locate your modem in the best place in the house it's great. I live within 1000 feet of my closest tower. Yet I have spots inside my house where I get 1 bar of 5G. (Wall densities, amount of clutter between point A and point B, etc...) For me, just inside my kitchen door is where I put my phone when I am using it as a modem because Spectrum is out. I am waiting for AT&T to have their 5G+ available where I am to see what that gives me. It's in downtown Cleveland but not here 40 miles away.

2. Send it to us.
eddie1261 #727479 08/12/22 10:26 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Eddie. No, I'm not sure of the distance involved. He lives in another State. But I'll ask him next time I'm speaking with him. I do agree that distance, signal strength etc all play a major part in performance.

pghboemike #727491 08/12/22 11:22 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Cell phone towers are placed wherever the carrier can rent or buy a tower site in the United States.

In central Europe, the cell phone tower location is dictated by the government of the country in question. I don't think I have ever dropped a call in Europe. I am sure it must be possible to do so. My experience with cell phone service in Europe has been good at all locations.

Before the hurricane in 2017, the cell service in Marathon, Florida, was terrible. After the hurricane, new tower equipment was installed at the same towers, and the service was excellent.

The worst internet connection I ever had was using a $5000 dollar-plus satellite earth station I had installed in the mountains in California before consumer systems were available. The consumer satellite systems I have used also are awful.

I have a satellite phone which works great anywhere I have been in the world. I mainly use it in case of an emergency on the boat. So... high-quality satellite communication is possible but pretty slow for text data and relatively expensive. It costs around $500 per year to have around 600 minutes of air time. I have never used more than 45 minutes. It is only for the boat and is used by my neighborhood friends during a hurricane.

Poor Herb...the actual cost of exterior fiber cable is about $250 for 1000 feet. Trenching costs anywhere from $1 to $6 dollars per foot if you own the land. Or free if you do it yourself and have the equipment. There is the fiber splicing cost and Spectrum's hook-up charge. None of that adds up to the $12,000 Spectrum was asking for. Spectrum must be related to the lovely people at AT&T...lol

Very useable near real-time internet-based audio and visual communication is currently available and is being used all over the world as we speak.

Billy

New location, new environment, new music coming soon

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo
AudioTrack #727556 08/13/22 03:18 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: AudioTrack
Herb
I have a friend who lives in a remote area and had difficulties with internet speed and performance. He installed a 5G wireless modem and now has blazingly fast internet, faster than my fiber connection. It might not be for everyone, but it worked for him.

I am testing 5G right now as I type.
So far I don't see much difference between it and cable in day to day use.
It 'measures' a little less on Speed Test but functionally stable.
Only problem I have is one Samsung TV keeps losing connection every few hours. It is not that the 5G has a problem it is the TV. It doesn't happen with any other device.
Turning the TV Off/On resolves the issue, so easy to fix, but a pain in the behind when it happens with 45 seconds left in the game. <grin>

This is after using it for three days 24 hours a day (I work remote).
Uploads/Downloads, video calls, VPN etc all seem fine. I'm kind of impressed.
We got in on the "introductory/test" phase in our area so if we decide to stick with it we have a guaranteed lifetime price that is less than half of our cable internet cost currently.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,604
Posts735,006
Members38,512
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
BroDon, Xtian, michael07716, Ronsei, McYann
38,511 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 186