Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
When I write a song with just one single style I can add new or modify the RealTracks in the mixer-window.

When I write a song which changes the style I can't do this (or at least I didn't find out how) for the second style because the RealTracks in the mixer-window do not change when the style changes.

Should technically be easy to implement (after all, everything you need is already there) and would open a complete new door to amazing compositions...

Edit: just noticed that the second style don't even keeps its own panning and volume settings...when I change those for the first style it just uses those crazy

Last edited by B.D.Thomas; 08/18/22 02:15 AM.

Making bits and bytes sound good...

Goldmania Bella - A One-Man Girlband with no fans
Listen on Spotify
Watch on YouTube
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Hi. Can you provide a bit more detail to how you're building your song? There's multiple ways to implement style changes and BIAB can handle as many as 24 style changes in a song, each with a-b subsections. There's also multiple ways to handle panning and volume setting changes when a style change occurs.

Charlie

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Apprentice
Apprentice
I agree with this.

A problem with more than one style in a song, either using Medley Maker or style-change in Bar Settings is that the mixer does not display the instruments of the new style. The mixer only displays the track information for the first style, so I can't see or tweak or substitute instruments for the other style, which I should be able to do. In fact, it keeps the name of the instrument of the first style but plays the new instrument on that channel.

I assume the architecture of the mixer has only room for one main bass/drums/keys/guitars/etc.- of the first style - so it is impractical for it to keep swapping between them on the fly. Of course, with all-tracks-equal, I can manually duplicate a style by separately loading each instrument into a utility track so that they can all be seen in the mixer, and then mute or silence all the bars of each style when the other is playing, but this would be quite cumbersome and laborious, and all the information is known by BIAB to do this automatically.

SUGGESTION:

I'm wondering if when there are two or more different styles in a song, using either Medley Maker or style-change in bar-settings - an option for an automatic button to print the tracks of the new style(s) into utility tracks and appropriately mute both styles when the other is playing.

As already said, the information is available in BIAB, but it just needs to separate the tracks/instrument channels of each style to its own set of tracks (which of course can then be modified or substituted)

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Apprentice
Apprentice
I agree with this.

A problem with more than one style in a song, either using Medley Maker or style-change in Bar Settings is that the mixer does not display the instruments of the new style. The mixer only displays the track information for the first style, so I can't see or tweak or substitute instruments for the other style, which I should be able to do. In fact, it keeps the name of the instrument of the first style but plays the new instrument on that channel.

I assume the architecture of the mixer has only room for one main bass/drums/keys/guitars/etc.- of the first style - so it is impractical for it to keep swapping between them on the fly. Of course, with all-tracks-equal, I can manually duplicate a style by separately loading each instrument into a utility track so that they can all be seen in the mixer, and then mute or silence all the bars of each style when the other is playing, but this would be quite cumbersome and laborious, and all the information is known by BIAB to do this automatically.

SUGGESTION:

I'm wondering if when there are two or more different styles in a song, using either Medley Maker or style-change in bar-settings - an option for an automatic button to print the tracks of the new style(s) into utility tracks and appropriately mute both styles when the other is playing.

As already said, the information is available in BIAB, but it just needs to separate the tracks/instrument channels of each style to its own set of tracks (which of course can then be modified or substituted)

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
Hi. Can you provide a bit more detail to how you're building your song? There's multiple ways to implement style changes and BIAB can handle as many as 24 style changes in a song, each with a-b subsections. There's also multiple ways to handle panning and volume setting changes when a style change occurs.

Charlie

Thanks for your reply, and sorry for the late answer, I somehow completely missed your post.

When I use multiple styles I first write the chord progression for the complete song, and when I e.g. decide to change the style for the chorus I left-click on the first bar of the chorus and select the new style via
"Bar Settings" -> "Style Changes at This Bar".

Works without problems and the new instruments of that style are used, however as I wrote above in the mixer-window there are still only the instruments of the "main" style displayed and I can't change anything for the new style, like panning or track-settings (both are used globally for both styles), or just see that the instrument(s) have changed.
Needless to say that Utility-Tracks are also globally used and not per style.

BTW, the same problem exists when you change a RealTrack under "Bar Settings", the mixer window is not updated with the new RealTrack.

Listen on Spotify
Watch on YouTube
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
No problem. I'm glad you replied.

I understand your issue and I agree it would be convenient for the Mixer to update. I don't know why it doesn't or if it can be updated to have that feature so I will Plus 1 the Wishlist request.

You and Thomass manually change Styles and that's fine, the feature's there to be used.

However, that's the most basic way to accomplish the task and BIAB automates Style changes with MultiStyles that can be modified and are also easy to create your own from any existing Style in the StylePicker. There are two variations, a MultiStyle that is a global style or a MultiStyle for use in a specific purposed song. I reference them as the first to be a permanent addition to my StylePicker and the second version I normally discard after completing my project. I use the 2nd version most times.

Like I mentioned in my earlier comment, a BIAB project can accommodate up to 24 substyles in a song, each having a-b sub sections. They are activated using multi colored Part Markers and can be placed at any bar on a Chord Chart. They can be used multiple times in a project. PG Music has developed a large number of pre-made MultiStyles and utilize them frequently in their Demos. My BIAB version has around 9,800 Styles and about 10% of those styles are PG Music MultiStyles. MultiStyles can be used individually or in conjunction with a Master MultiStyle.

A Section Text Layer can be opened to notate MultiStyle instrument changes. Part Markers can be placed at any bar and the 'Part Marker' starts a new line function can be turned off so the Chord Chart doesn't get mis-aligned.

I've found this to be the most convenient and quickest method to use Styles for instrument changes and vary the song dynamics. Once you have your MultiStyle variations, changes can be made by selecting Part Markers.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Screenshot 2022-11-10 092425.jpg (349.14 KB, 29 downloads)
MultiStyles.jpg (399.33 KB, 30 downloads)
Section Text.jpg (397.79 KB, 30 downloads)
Last edited by Charlie Fogle; 11/10/22 05:20 AM. Reason: Images added

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
However, that's the most basic way to accomplish the task and BIAB automates Style changes with MultiStyles that can be modified and are also easy to create your own from any existing Style in the StylePicker.

I read that you can create your own styles, but I thought that was a bit complicated. Changing an existing style should be much easier.
And "MultiStyles" are new to me, I think I'll take a closer look at them.

Thanks so much for bringing them to my attention, Charlie!

Listen on Spotify
Watch on YouTube
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Originally Posted By: B.D.Thomas
However, that's the most basic way to accomplish the task and BIAB automates Style changes with MultiStyles that can be modified and are also easy to create your own from any existing Style in the StylePicker.

I read that you can create your own styles, but I thought that was a bit complicated. Changing an existing style should be much easier.
And "MultiStyles" are new to me, I think I'll take a closer look at them.

Thanks so much for bringing them to my attention, Charlie!

Yes. MultiStyles are very versatile and it's easy to modify any style into a MultiStyle for use on a particular song. PG Music developers use RT-1152: silence in a lot of their MultiStyles.

To me, it would work good in a workflow where you create your Chord Chart and then decide on the various instruments to use in your song and create a series of MultiStyles using an instrument or two in each new MultiStyle so that you will then be able to change instruments and combinations of them as easily as you can edit the Chord Sheet. You would rearrange instruments by changing Part Markers.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,397
Posts732,530
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200