Print Thread
Go To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: JohnJohnJohn
Originally Posted By: Jim Fogle
My belief is PG Music is targeting new Band-in-a-Box features at the next generation of audio producers

I don't mean to sound overly negative but so far PGM has not demonstrated that they are in tune with "the next generation of audio producers" either musically (persistent emphasis on classic rock, country and jazz even in 2022) or technically (outdated, overly complex GUI, convoluted documentation, "50 new features" bloat).

I have to agree with that — but I don't think this is a bad thing. I believe that statement also applies to every loops package ever released. They're fine for hobbyists and their 11 followers on various platforms… Those artists who wish to be innovative will roll their own.

BIAB lets me do quickly tasks that would take many, many hours in a DAW but I never use it for original composition. Clients wanting custom vanity and karaoke tracks? BIAB absolutely rocks because I never have to reinvent the wheel—and they don't want me to. That's why I bought it in the first place. Thanks to the plug-in, I can get quite creative in Digital Performer without charging the arm and a leg that I'd have to if I began from scratch—what a great addition. Likewise, I can see it as a great performance tool even if I don't.

Most of my work does not happen in BIAB, though. It just can't and long droning posts from those who don't see it any other way cannot change that.

BIAB is but one tool in a large box for me and I'm fine with that.

BIAB 2023 Audiophile, 24/60 Core M2 Mac Studio Ultra/8TB/192GB Sonoma, M1 MBAir, 2012 MBP
Digital Performer 11, LogicPro
Finale27.4, Dorico5, Encore5, SmartScorePro64, Notion6, Overture5
P
P
I haven't really been on this forum but I figured this is probably a good topic for me to add my 2 cents too.

I think it is a great idea to add more features to BIAB that lean towards a DAW after all isn't BIAB a Digital Audio Workstation?

When asking the question "What is a Digital Audio Workstation (DAW)" on the internet you'll come up with a answer something like this.

"A digital audio workstation (DAW) is music production software that allows users to record and edit midi and audio on a personal computer."

I would think there are probably thousands of BIAB users out there that don't really want to purchase or learn another piece of software. And why should they? Each year BIAB gets better and better at doing what a DAW does and I for one am happy that they keep doing it.

Shorty

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: PShorty
I haven't really been on this forum but I figured this is probably a good topic for me to add my 2 cents too.

I think it is a great idea to add more features to BIAB that lean towards a DAW after all isn't BIAB a Digital Audio Workstation?

When asking the question "What is a Digital Audio Workstation (DAW)" on the internet you'll come up with a answer something like this.

"A digital audio workstation (DAW) is music production software that allows users to record and edit midi and audio on a personal computer."

I would think there are probably thousands of BIAB users out there that don't really want to purchase or learn another piece of software. And why should they? Each year BIAB gets better and better at doing what a DAW does and I for one am happy that they keep doing it.

Shorty

I see your point. However, currently, Real Band is lacking in features and convenience that other DAW's have and can handle quite well. For someone just getting started, and who has BB/RB, sure, it's a great option and will get the job done. BTW.... Cakewalk by Bandlab is giving away it's top of the line Sonar DAW and has been for years. It was the same one that many folks paid several hundred dollars for before it was taken over by Bandlab. So, cost isn't a factor in getting a top of the line DAW.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
BTW.... Cakewalk by Bandlab is giving away it's top of the line Sonar DAW and has been for years. It was the same one that many folks paid several hundred dollars for before it was taken over by Bandlab. So, cost isn't a factor in getting a top of the line DAW.

And Reaper is only like $60 with an unlimited free trial. Really GREAT DAW software is available at no cost! Why spend your limited learning time with a limited tool when far better tools are available for free and are as easy or easier to learn? Nothing beats BIAB for creating real tracks (yet)! But I hope they focus all new development on improving and fixing its core functionality and not on trying to become a DAW.

J
Veteran
Veteran
J
GH.
Re; Realband.(RB)

much as i admire and respect your musical talents , and bearing in mind there might be new potential users perusing these forums (my major concern) i feel i must offer a rejoinder …lol.

please right clik over a rb trak in traks view , and youll get a BIG LOOOONG menu appear. please show me another daw on the market (even the most expensive) that offer the multitude of trak generation features and other options that rb does in that menu and i'll get it.

even reaper (that I love for many other reasons) doesnt have these features. and i was a reaps user from nearly day 1 when it came out, and made many requests to the reaps devs.

yes rb is a bit of an 'ugly duckling' but under its hood is a lot of neat stuff i havent seen in any other daw.

again let me stress with greatest respect to your deep talents.

happiness/best

om

New Song "PRETTY GIRL" for my wife...Dec 2023
(my vocs....mixed for good earbuds.)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs/prettygirlrbfinalcalfsongsdec2023mp3
(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
Veteran
Veteran
But I hope they focus all new development on improving and fixing its core functionality and not on trying to become a DAW.

I agree!

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: MarioD
But I hope they focus all new development on improving and fixing its core functionality and not on trying to become a DAW.

I agree!

As do I.

All this talk about RealBand ignores the fact that it is Windows only. PGMusic decided that GarageBand made RealBand for the Mac redundant. GB exists only to sell Macs but its severe limitations make it fairly useless, IMO — fortunately, Logic opens the GB files my band members and clients send me and Digital Performer opens any audio I get from anywhere.

The last few years, RealBand has fallen behind the times. It needs a major update or PGM should move on. With the BIAB plugin working ok and decent, inexpensive DAWs readily available, that’s not the worst thing that can happen.

Quote:
And Reaper is only like $60 with an unlimited free trial. Really GREAT DAW software is available at no cost!

No it’s not. Great DAWs have the phone support and the back & forth communication that pros require, even Apple’s Logic Pro X (they don’t advertise that but it does).

I walk some of my clients through Reaper now and then which is as close as that gets but it’s pretty good cheapware at best. It does not compare with Digital Performer, Bitwig, ProTools, Logic, Cakewalk, Cubase and a few others. Costing $60 doesn’t mean a thing if it can’t do what users need but, if you like and are going to use it, pay the man his $60.

BIAB 2023 Audiophile, 24/60 Core M2 Mac Studio Ultra/8TB/192GB Sonoma, M1 MBAir, 2012 MBP
Digital Performer 11, LogicPro
Finale27.4, Dorico5, Encore5, SmartScorePro64, Notion6, Overture5
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Originally Posted By: Mike Halloran

Quote:
Really GREAT DAW software is available at no cost!

No it’s not.

Yes, it is! smile One of the examples you gave is even free.

Expert
Expert
At the risk of this discussion degenerating even further. The fairly standard answer from many DAW providers is “update to the latest version”. Yes there are DAWs one can pay through the nose for and others that are cheap. Reaper for example has a user group and forums that provide unbelievable support. I’ve not ever felt the need to call anybody when using Reaper.

I prefer Reaper because it is often fairly simple to script and perform tasks that can be quite difficult on any of the other DAWs I have used.

Just this week I bought Cubasis 3 for the iPad. I will be in an area where I will not be able to use my main DAWs for a while so I thought I’d use Scaler 2 on the iPad (pretty much as a learning exercise). When I wanted to register on the Steinberg WEB site it could not accept my email address as it is not a standard address. I had to give them a Gmail jobie. Could not find where to get assistance. Doesn’t look all that good for Cubase which is “top of the line”.

Basically the best support I’ve found when needed is right here at PGmusic. Even then I find most of the answers I seek on these forums.

My thoughts

Tony

Last edited by Teunis; 09/08/22 10:16 PM.

HP i7-4770 16GB 1TB SSD, Win 10 Home,
Focusrite 2i2 3rd Gen, Launchkey 61, Maton CW80, Telecaster, Ovation Elite TX, Yamaha Pacifica 612
BB 2022(912) RB 2022(2), CakeWalk, Reaper 6, Audacity, Melodyne 5 Editor, Izotope Music Production Suite 4.1
Expert
Online Content
Expert
Originally Posted By: Mike Halloran

Quote:
Really GREAT DAW software is available at no cost!

No it’s not.

Yes, it is! smile One of the examples you gave is even free.

No software is ever really free. Someone, somewhere, somehow, is paying for it.
Often it's the developers giving up their "spare time", sometimes it's sponsors, sometimes it's funded by donation.

Jazz relative beginner, starting at a much older age than was helpful.
Kawai MP6, Korg M50, Ui24R, Saffire Pro 40.
AVL:MXE Linux; Windows 11; Win8.1: Scarletts
BIAB2022 UltraPAK, Reaper, a bunch of stuff.
Veteran
Veteran
Let's not forget that biab HAS a lot of old CODE/SCRIPT hangovers that need to be tied to make it a thoroughly stable program as it is and that the glued on additions to the annual upgrade need to be more thoroughly beta tested, yes, I know there're lots of beta testers at present but they don't manage to slow the Oct/Nov juggernaut r"roll out.
Reaper, Sonar et al are very stable even when there's a PILE of open source additions available & incorporated ...or perhaps that is why the open source stuff is so prolific. Pipeline has demonstrated many very successful, stable scripts that work around the instabilities and ancient problems while moving the prog forward & demonstrating that BIAB can do even more BUT the foundation needs to be stabilized.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
All.

sigh..i'm going to the trouble of posting this (like many of my posts) cos i KNOW there might be people new to recording and/or new to pg products reading posts.

and let me say , i speak from the 'heart' having used loads of gear over the years from 'super expensive big lad toys' down to the junkiest of junk gear.
(let me preface the following by saying i have lots of experience but only do daft songs for enjoyment i dont hold myself out as a super pro audio engineer.)

ive had these discussions with many "pros" over the years in a collegial fashion.
(and they were superb, seasoned AE's and taught me lots.)

so my opinions…

1..a newbie wanting to get into songs is told by some on a forum 'well the pro's use X' or 'your not a pro unless you use Y'. so little newbie trots off to the gear store and spends a ton of money or his/her inheritance from 'uncle fred' or whomever.
now said newbie feels 'comfortable'.
'man this is great ive got the same gear the pros use'. over the years on many recording forums ive seen the above play out.
of course once the newbie gains experience he/she realises that there is a lot more to the song biz.
and let me say many newbies have said to me over the
years 'i wish i had spoken to you first before blowing a wad of money on gear'.
the point is there is lots of marketing 'guff' when it comes to gear, and i contend if
reaper or realband or biab were the only products on the market a great like George Martin would still do great songs cos thats their FORTE'.

look what they used to do with 3 traks, hit song after hit song… and powertraks does 48 traks for a pittance. (so some new people think 'man it cant be any good' ' i gotta go spend lots more' etc etc ) cos then 'l'll be in the big leagues.)

2..i wonder how many people take the time to really dive into the reaper.fm features and manual (and the stash ). the same with realband features/manual here on pg.
from many questions ive seen on both forums i would suggest lots of people dont bother. thus they get frustrated. this stuff is not a fridge or toaster.

3..imho one can find fault with any app..BUT i challenge ANYONE to show me another daw that has the features and agility of reaper, ALSO i challenge anyone
to , in realband , right clik over a trak and see the VERY UNIQUE looong list of great generating and other options that rb affords as i said up thread.

in SUMMARY i often ponder how many have taken the time to 'plumb the depths of both reaps and rb…(and biab too.). YES there are flaws. but show me a music software that doesnt have flaws. per any daw user forum.

how many have plumbed the depths of reapers STASH ? how many have bothered to read the rb manual etc.
one has to do this, cos irrespective of app this biz aint 'trivial' in fact its 'blinkin complex' no matter what developers do in coding. and therein lies the true fact.

use what you want to do songs , my preferred solution is BIAB + REALBAND + REAPER. and proud of it…lol.

in closing i agree with Teunis (particulartly first para)...and Gordon (great comment) and i agree with Ray , pipeline is a superb talent with scripts etc..

happiness // peace to all.

om

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 09/09/22 03:19 AM.

(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
Veteran
Veteran
As I have said in the past share your workflow and if it helps someone great, if not also great. But lets not argue over what is the best workflow. There is only one best workflow and that is the one that works for you.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
B
Journeyman
Journeyman
B
Originally Posted By: justanoldmuso
...and i contend if
reaper or realband or biab were the only products on the market a great like George Martin would still do great songs cos thats their FORTE'.

look what they used to do with 3 traks, hit song after hit song… and powertraks does 48 traks for a pittance. (so some new people think 'man it cant be any good' ' i gotta go spend lots more' etc etc ) cos then 'l'll be in the big leagues.)

Yeah, well George Martin had Lennon/ McCartney and George Harrison writing those songs and John, Paul George and Ringo playing them. Not to mention Norman Smith and Geoff Emerick recording and mixing it all.

Byron Dickens

BIAB. CbB. Mixbus 32C 8 HP Envy. Intel core i7. 16GB RAM W10. Focusrite Scarlett 18i 20. Various instruments played with varying degrees of proficiency.

https://soundcloud.com/athanorsoundlabs
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
i contend if reaper or realband or biab were the only products on the market a great like George Martin would still do great songs cos thats their FORTE'.

look what they used to do with 3 traks, hit song after hit song…

Brilliant point!

I recall something I read where David Gilmour was asked about how he achieved his signature sound and he said something to the effect of he could walk into any guitar store, pick up any guitar and amp and sound like David Gilmour! On the flip side, I read about an engineer who said he was on staff in the studio where the Stones were recording and during a break he went into the room to give Keith's guitar a try! He was unsurprised to hear that his playing on that guitar did NOT sound like Keith Richards!

J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Byron.

RE..Martin n ' the lads.

good comment and' i can't disagree cos both my wife and i have worked in organisations where by 'chance' the right group of people got together to create something wonderful.
often with very few resources. just sheer guts n' hard work often '24/7' where everyone gets 'bleary eyed'.

maybe its the right alignment of the planets or my wife and i have often wondered if its 'fate' laughing at us all….lol.

let me add ive seen on various user forums user complaints about their music software they use daily. Problems are often setup of sound devices n' drivers etc tc. and often the fact people just wont study the manuals etc in an in depth fashion. just human nature.

with daws i think its cos there are sooo many features in each daw to absorb.

it just concerns moi that some people critiqueing a daw ..how much have they really delved into a reaper(look at the forum...hundreds of thousands of posts..so must be doing sumpin right !) or say a realband.
believe me if there was better i would use it.

Mario.

kudos and good comment. i always respect you and your highly creative songs.

John.

its just a crazy world lol. the KEY is to just have a great time.
there are many similar tales ive been told by AE's.

eg a band was so stoned in a session, the AE's had to fix
up the traks overnight etc. before next session.

best

om

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 09/09/22 09:33 AM.

Veteran
Veteran
Well, my hopes that this wouldn't turn into the Real Band Fan war game thread were dashed.
The same arguments, the same IMHOs, the same challenges, the same caveats, the same new users argument.

Almost all current DAWs are excellent, some are OS specific, some have greater prestige through price and others are "industry standard" for excellent or dubious reasons. WE have choices to make and being exposed to decent reviews and "testimonials" can help with that if you know & trust the source - rather like mix advice.

Going from BIAB to a DAW makes sense.
Going from BIAB to RB to a different DAW seems a little convoluted for me but if it works for you - do it.
Staying inside BIAB is certainly the preferred method for many posters in the User Showcase Forum...it's quick, easy and the desire to make things sound less generic or add some difference isn't prominent.

There are industry preferred ways of doing things - like NOT mixing with stuff on the stereo bus, NOT mastering from within the project etc. which we don't often discuss because we are amateurs/hobbyists who have our "way" of doing things and because of "work flow" preferences, or because it's easier or we don't hear a difference.

Few people are prepared to change their opinion on much. Convincing folk to use RB or another DAW is something needed early on in their experience...before habits and "work flow" are settled. Getting anyone to work only within BIAB as a DAW would require that it become as logical/intuitive/straight forward or has a manual that really covers everything CLEARLY. That would also need to be before they'd found VSTs they prefer to work with.

I'm please that so many folk are keen enough about audio recording &/or song writing to argue about these things but come the revolution/come the climate disaster/come decrepitude it won't even be dust.

And then there's the other "level" of (ab)user..."Great DAWs have the phone support and the back & forth communication that pros require..." The statement is full of self aggrandizement followed by "...but it’s pretty good cheapware at best." Ah, tool/[*****] comparison time standing on a rock being king of the pebble. I regret toggling ignore...ever wonder why no one engages with your comments?

Cheers
rayc
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Rayc.

let me say i wish everyone here only the very very best. and enjoyment of their music creation journey.

i think it fair to say we both agree that reaps is a fab daw//tool. right ?

where we might differ is realband (rb). fair ?

let me just mention one very 'tiny' feature of many why i like rb.
(lets remember rb is free.)

lets consider midi trak editing and moving small or large numbers of midi bars around.

i think it fair to say various people would use a piano roll or notation feature in a daw. fair ?
(i'm lousy at notation..lol.) and i think it fair to say many musos might find these features in a daw "fiddly'. certainly in my case and musos ive talked to in the past. fair ?

now rb (like powertraks) has a feature called 'BARS VIEW". which biab doesnt have,...
(which is why i posted a 'wish' re biab for this feature recently.)

now why ages ago did pg devs implement this feature ?
i dunno , all i know is i can do a bunch of neat things with it re midi bars, and save me fiddling with other options. i find it very useful.
am i being fair ?

there are many cute little features like this sprinkled through rb. and thus if someone doesnt read the rb manual or dismisses rb easily for whatever reason (maybe cos its free) or cos they read something on the net somewhere re rb thats a pity imho.
this one feature alone has saved me time over the years.

why do i defend rb , even if it doesnt have the 'fancy graphics' of other daws ?
cos it has many neat features like the example cited.
fair ?

please note YES i have probs with rb occasionally , hence i post a wish in the rb wishlist.
i ponder re people knocking rb have they gone thru the rb manual and given it a 'fair shake'.
i too found it a tad 'idiosyncratic' sometimes when i started with rb...but i persevered and found lots of neat stuff.

i hope you find above fair comment.

i defend rb only cos i'm worried pg might drop it, and thus i lose interesting features that help me in a song.

best//happiness.

om

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 09/09/22 03:01 PM.

Veteran
Veteran
Rayc.

let me say i wish everyone here only the very very best. and enjoyment of their music creation journey.
i think it fair to say we both agree that reaps is a fab daw//tool. right ?
where we might differ is realband (rb). fair ?
let me just mention one very 'tiny' feature of many why i like rb.
(lets remember rb is free.)
lets consider midi trak editing and moving small or large numbers of midi bars around.
i think it fair to say various people would use a piano roll or notation feature in a daw. fair ?
(i'm lousy at notation..lol.) and i think it fair to say many musos might find these features in a daw "fiddly'. certainly in my case and musos ive talked to in the past. fair ?
now rb (like powertraks) has a feature called 'BARS VIEW". which biab doesnt have,...
(which is why i posted a 'wish' re biab for this feature recently.)
now why ages ago did pg devs implement this feature ? i dunno , all i know is i can do a bunch of neat things with it re midi bars, and save me fiddling with other options. i find it very useful.
am i being fair ?
there are many cute little features like this sprinkled through rb. and thus if someone doesnt read the rb manual or dismisses rb easily for whatever reason (maybe cos its free) or cos they read something on the net somewhere re rb thats a pity imho.
this one feature alone has saved me time over the years.
why do i defend rb , even if it doesnt have the 'fancy graphics' of other daws ?
cos it has many neat features like the example cited.
fair ?
please note YES i have probs with rb occasionally , hence i post a wish in the rb wishlist.
i ponder re people knocking rb have they gone thru the rb manual and given it a 'fair shake'.
i too found it a tad 'idiosyncratic' sometimes when i started with rb...but i persevered and found lots of neat stuff.
i hope you find above fair comment.
i defend rb only cos i'm worried pg might drop it, and thus i lose interesting features that help me in a song.
best//happiness.
om

I don't know why you miss the point so frequently and completely.
Spruiking RB isn't the point of the thread, nor is defending its granularity.
I'm not going to try to convince folk about Reaper...anyone who has an unbiased perspective and gives it a crack, other than Mike, will know it's good.
I accept that you use & like RB, I accept that David milks it for what it can do for him & moves on, I accept that it doesn't work for me.
You haunt the wish lists with decent suggestions and you offer kind comments for song posters but, it seems to me, you get caught up in your own enthusiasm about double tracking and Realband. On the other hand I don't see you adopting any new suggestions about mixes or DAWs.
The flagellation of deceased equine discourse on RB could be saved until there's a newbie who'll benefit from a 1st DAW suggestion or a new feature that really makes the other DAWS merely equal.
You've good ears, experience to draw upon and share as well a generous turn of commentary phrase & I appreciate those.

Last edited by rayc; 09/10/22 02:17 AM.

Cheers
rayc
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Rayc.

this is my last post in this thread as i'm concerned about the direction this thread is taking..
instead of collegial debate focused on product.

My only objective ever is pg product longevity and improvement and success. whether biab or rb.

re you said…'I don't see you adopting any new suggestions about mixes etc'
if your commenting on users posted songs asking for comments...…
imho from my experience i feel this is the purview and expertise of pro mastering engineers. which i am not.

fwiw , given my time available , i will over time post various tips and tricks and topics related to my usage of RB (which other rb users can contribute to if they wish.)..in the hope that more new users realise the power of the rb product and its depth. ie tips like in my post in this thread , in that case the subject being the highly useful rb (and also powertraks)' bars view' imho which i suspect not a lot of people know about , particularly if rb has never been opened and is just sitting there on a person's pc.

i'm outta here.

best.

om

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,587
Posts734,734
Members38,500
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Krystal Mcclain, Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex
38,500 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 197