Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Why do you need a DAW when you have Band-in-a-Box? What do you do in your DAW that you don't or can't do in Band-in-a-Box?

For example I use Cakewalk by Bandlab to automate multiple functions at a time on an audio or midi track. Cakewalk can simultaneously automate playback of volume, pan and mute on an audio track. At the same time I can automate playback of volume, pan, mute, reverb, chorus and expression on a midi track.

Last edited by Jim Fogle; 09/04/22 08:27 AM. Reason: edited automation comments

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Veteran
Veteran
I started to make a list, but then thought... the answer is simpler than that. While BIAB does have specialized feature which make it totally unique compared to any DAW, it also does have some general DAW features. The reason I don't use them is 1) Limited Features, 2) awkward workflow, 3) lack of stability.

All of those limitations are handled by a professional DAW.

List of Reaper Features

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Veteran
Veteran
For me, back in February when Audacity was my primary "DAW", I spent many hours trying to get RealBand to work; thinking that it would more tightly integrate with BiaB. I even posted a call for help here; Although I was/am greatful for the help, I/we were unsuccessful. We tried hard to get it to work.

Here is the thread:

RealBand Recording Problems

A buddy told me about Studio One, so I bought it and love it. It allows me to record my instruments, drag and drop audio, precisely control volume and has full export capability. So far it has everything I need and I've had zero problems with it.

https://soundcloud.com/user-646279677
BiaB 2024 Windows
For me there’s no better place in the band than to have one leg in the harmony world and the other in the percussive. Thank you Paul Tutmarc and Leo Fender.
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
I used Cakewalk Pro Audio, then SONAR, then briefly BandLab by Cakewalk. These are all the same DAW product as it has evolved.

The reason was that I learned it long before PG Music offered RealBand.

Now I use Presonus Studio One version 5 as my DAW.

The reason is that it is tightly integrated with my notation program, Presonus Notion 6, so when I wanted to change to a stable and future-proof DAW, and change to a notation program that was more current, user-friendly and stable with great sounds easily available to a composer, I chose this pair.

My reasons are not as likely to be your reasons. Preferences in workflow would normally be in consideration, too, so pick what works for you. No one has yet written the perfect software tool to do everything, so choose those tools that work best for you. One tool I still use frequently is a stereo Wave file editor, Adobe Audition. Yes, I could do this function in a DAW or other programs, but I learned this one over two decades ago, also. It's just a comfortable fit. Sometimes that's the only reason I can give you: it works, it's easy, and I'm fine with things as-is.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Expert
Expert
This question to me is a bit like why buy a screwdriver if you have a hammer. One could use a hammer to drive in screws or for that matter a screwdriver to hit in nails. But and it’s a big BUT to use a tool made for specific tasks makes the job simpler, more efficient if not better.

For years I used various versions of Sonar then when things were looking dicey with Cakewalk I got into Reaper as well as Cakewalk by BandLab. I tended to use Cakewalk for MIDI as I really understood MIDI operations in that Cakewalk. I used Reaper for mixing as that DAW provided advantages in that area.

As I got on and learnt more about Reaper’s scripting and other flexibilities I am slowly but surely tending to go to Reaper for all my DAW needs. In Reaper it is easy to create menus and possible to design tools for specific functions making Reaper more flexible than Cakewalk (IMHO)

I use BAIB to design, layout and input the chords and various instruments for a song as that to me seems the best tool for that job. I guess I could do this in Reaper or Cakewalk but it would be nowhere near as good nor efficient. I could use BIAB to mix and record the extra bits I might want to add but once again to me would not be efficient.

In Reaper for example it is extremely easy to adjust the play rate of a piece or have the levels of various parts move, or manipulate panning on the fly. Whatever takes your fancy. It is also fairly easy to remove unwanted noise and things like that. This goes on and on.

The right tool for the right job it was my attitude all my working life so why not for music.

My thoughts
Tony

Last edited by Teunis; 08/30/22 02:06 PM.

HP i7-4770 16GB 1TB SSD, Win 10 Home,
Focusrite 2i2 3rd Gen, Launchkey 61, Maton CW80, Telecaster, Ovation Elite TX, Yamaha Pacifica 612
BB 2022(912) RB 2022(2), CakeWalk, Reaper 6, Audacity, Melodyne 5 Editor, Izotope Music Production Suite 4.1
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
THUMPER.

did you study the realband manual and i think there are vids now on setting up realband. ??
rb works for me and lots of people.

i think the issue is rb can sometimes be 'fiddly' to set up depending on the audio interface. the KEY is setting up the driver prefs correctly.

All.

my preferred combo is reaps//rb//biab. done 90 songs with the combo. i use the strengths of each.

it has to be said that the more one 'plumbs the depths'
of a music software , the more one will get out of it.
and bb and rb are very deep for example...as is reaps.

haveing said that i'll mention a few things i really like
in reaper ,..
(and this is not to slam bb or rb that have their own strengths which i love and use all the time.).

so reaper...
1. i love the main display showing all the traks.
2. ditto for the workflow eg moveing 'clips' around/editing etc etc.
3. various operational stats like latency and cpu and disc and plug in stats etc.
4. the free jesusonic plug ins included and other plug in
features eg i can use pg dx plus with vst's.
5. the small footprint and portability and how reaps runs on a pc with no probs/lagging etc etc. also runs on various OS platforms.

i could go on...but the above are just a few reasons.
musicstudent pointed to a full list of features on reaper.

best

om

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 08/30/22 12:19 PM.

New Song "PRETTY GIRL" for my wife...Dec 2023
(my vocs....mixed for good earbuds.)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs/prettygirlrbfinalcalfsongsdec2023mp3
(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
Veteran
Veteran
I'm kind of like justanoldmuso
'maybe' start in Biab, if not and I have a strong idea of what I want and plan to Generate just to fill in some stuff (which is way more likely around here) I just start right out in RB.

Generate what I need and time-sync other stuff.

If I'm just tinkering around, I'll try various chords/style combos in BiaB to try to find some kind of hint that inspires an idea. Same way I use any loop/generate/pattern software. BiaB is more efficient at that than RB.

But then once I have the idea I get out of BiaB so I get more control, even though it can be more work. I enjoy that kind of work way more than dealing with the leaves in the fall. <grin>

If I need something RB doesn't do I do not hesitate to move to Reaper, or others.

Mostly it's just figuring out the workflow that works best for you.

I cut my teeth on Roland software and Powertracks, so the workflow in RB is just familiar to me, & I work where I am comfortable until I have to move on.

Kind of like when I built houses. Get as much done on the ground as you can.
When you need to get on the roof, well, you move up to the roof.

I'm comfortable in PT/RB, but realize I sometimes need to get on the roof.
Not sure where BiaB fits into that scenario, maybe tinkering with floor plans before starting to build the house (?)

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Veteran
Veteran
I started with Dr T's sequencer back in the Atari days, then went to Cakewalk Pro Audio, Sonar, then finally to Studio One Pro 5.5. Thus I am very familiar with DAWs.

I agree with Jim on the many aspects of using a DAW. In fact I get out of BiaB as soon as I can and go straight to my DAW.

Tony has the right answer. A DAW and BiaB are two different tools.

I do not like to use RealBand. It doesn't fit well in my workflow. It is not that RB is a bad DAW; it is not and many use it as their only DAW. I just don't want to spend time learning all of the intricate workings of RB when I will not use it much. I must say that the few times that I have used it RB was stable.

Another reason that I don't stay very long in BiaB is the VST loading times. When I boot Studio One Pro 5.5 it only takes a couple of minutes to read all of my VSTs and VSTis. Having BiaB load them took over a half an hour. I am not putting the blame on PGM, it is just BiaB was not meant for that kind of usage.

In summary I hope BiaB stays focused on being the best backing track generator and doesn't become more like a DAW.

YMMV

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: MarioD
I started with Dr T's sequencer back in the Atari days, then went to Cakewalk Pro Audio, Sonar, then finally to Studio One Pro 5.5. Thus I am very familiar with DAWs.

I started with Dr T's sequencer back in the Amiga days, then went to Cool Edit Pro, which became Adobe Audition, then finally to Pro Tools. Thus I am very familiar with other DAWs.

I agree with Jim on the many aspects of using a DAW. In fact I get out of BiaB as soon as I can and go straight to my DAW.

Same. BIAB is just my tool to get the layout or template of the song complete.

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: justanoldmuso
THUMPER.
did you study the realband manual and i think there are vids now on setting up realband. ??
rb works for me and lots of people.

i think the issue is rb can sometimes be 'fiddly' to set up depending on the audio interface. the KEY is setting up the driver prefs correctly.

Back in Feb, I consulted every resource I was aware of including videos. And you, rharv and MarioD helped as best you could but to no avail; thanks for trying. The fact that only 3 tried to help, out of a reported 36,433 members tells me that the RB userbase is either not large or not that motivated. Meanwhile, Studio One worked instantly and there seems to be a healthy group of S1 users here. One has to use the tools that work.

I will say that I hope that the programming resources directed toward RB do not inhibit future growth of the flagship program BiaB.

BiaB 2024 Windows
For me there’s no better place in the band than to have one leg in the harmony world and the other in the percussive. Thank you Paul Tutmarc and Leo Fender.
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Tony (Teunis) presents a great analogy in terms of why it may be a better idea to use BIAB rather than a DAW for many tasks one encounters in song creation. Here's my take on his analogy:

<< Why buy a screwdriver if you have a hammer? >>

as an analogy to;

Why buy a DAW if you have BIAB?

I use a screwdriver many times to drive small nails, make a punch mark, tap pieces in place etc. For small instances where a tap is sufficient, the screwdriver gets the job done as efficiently and quicker than I can fetch a hammer for the small job.

It's the same with BIAB. Tasks like cut/paste, comping, volume automation, panning, adding some effects, audio recording, MIDI recording, cross-fades, fade-in, fade-out, inserting silence, muting, trimming intros, trimming outros, arranging, transposing, harmonizing, transcribing, extracting stems, time shifting audio, convert channels (mono/stereo), add/delete bars, audio punch in/out, bussing, bouncing tracks, sound on sound recording, move/copy MIDI/audio, normalize tracks, fix tuning, time stretch and pitch to name a few tasks BIAB can do and it shares with DAWs.

Many times, and in my case, more often than not, I can complete the tasks from the list above quicker and obtain results that are indistinguishable from doing the task exporting tracks out and completing them in a DAW.

I'm not suggesting that BIAB has obsoleted DAWs for music production but neither is pro quality music production unobtainable using BIAB if by-passing a DAW during the creation process. If a user doesn't have a DAW, there's no rush to go and acquire one.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Expert
Expert
I think a lot depends on how you 'grew up' with BIAB. I started on floppies and midi only and got PowerTracks bundles with BIAB for free.

Learning to use both programs I found some functions not available in BIAB were easily managed in PT. So my workflow was get as much laid down in BIAB and then move to PT to produce midi backing tracks for the duo i played in.

Since then BIAB has acquired many many more functions, but so has PT in becoming RB. Building on my skills with PT, its natural for me to use RB for 'heavy lifting'. RB is still for me, more transparent and obvious than BIAB. Legacy track? Melody track? soloist? utility track? no need to search - all the tracks are in front of you.

I know it's second nature to Jim and Charlie to stay in BIAB but for me RB is so much easier. Nothing hidden, fx easily added, a mixer that looks like a real life mixer..... and all the functionality of BIAB if i need it.

so with RB as my DAW it's a workflow i prefer. and if i get stuck, the program is so easy and familiar I can usually work out how to do things. but not always - and that's why the forum is so useful!

Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Having said that you use the right tool from many choices, I stay in BIAB as long as possible. As a composer I make a lot of changes before I take a song into production.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Simple answer is BIAB is NOT a DAW! And, Realband is NOT a feature-rich, modern DAW. Realband does not compare favorably to any of the modern DAWs available today. The one thing it does is support RealTracks but when you realize it doesn't even respect BIAB bar settings, frozen tracks, etc. you see it is not even useful in your BIAB workflow!

BIAB is absolutely brilliant at generating tracks from the awesome RealTracks library. And that is enough! I get in BIAB and out to my DAW ASAP!

Journeyman
Journeyman
Like many others
BIAB only as long as I need. Mostly real tracks. Almost zero midi.
The DAW does the rest

Last edited by mrgeeze; 08/31/22 10:35 AM.

biab2023(Mac)
Logic Pro X
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
in the spirit of lively friendly collegial debate lets look at some pg users who use the 'free' REALBAND (RB). ie 'the other side of the RB coin" as it were.
(and lets not forget a new user can get a pak under 100 buckys with both biab AND RB. some competing software with only daw features can cost much MUCH MORE.)

1..the very talented long time pg user Joanne Cooper who i respect highly.
she is a long term RB user who has posted on her site and the pg forums about how she uses RB as a DAW. with various articles etc etc. LINK>>>

https://joannecooper.co.za/home

one of her articles is titled 'eight reasons RB is her daw of choice'.
i agree particularly about the 'no dongles' aspect. i also dislike them and will never EVER use a product that employs them cos ive seen too many people have issues sometimes.

https://www.joannecooper.co.za/blog/blog/eight-reasons-why-i-as-a-band-in-a-box-user-use-realband-as-my-daw-of-choice

2..pg user RHARV was kind enough to allow me the other day to listen to one of his productions done using RB. count me highly impressed….a top flight major studio i feel couldnt have beaten the production quality and dynamics etc etc. and RHARV is another pg user i highly respect.

3..moi. ive done 90 songs using biab/reaper and YES RB included as my go to software combo to do songs.
and ive forgotten how many 'demos'.
i play to the strengths of each of the 3 bb/rb/reaps.
(12 songs i have posted in the pg user showcase and on soundcloud see my sig at the bottom.…ill let others determine whether my crazy songs are good or not….lol..my 'thing' is the fun of doing songs..good or bad.).

in order to be fair and balanced i have to say RB has many nice daw features imho , BUT one MUST be willing to plumb its depths. this is the crux of it.

in addition…yes some might see it as an 'ugly duckling' BUT as my granny might have said 'beauty is often skin deep..its what is inside thats important'.

fwiw i just posted in the RB wishlist forum my RB wishes for 2023.
and if one goes back in that forum ive posted many past wishes.

in conclusion i'm sure there are pg users that use RB other than us 3 posted above.

WHY HAVE I TAKEN THE TIME TO MAKE THIS POST ?

cos it troubles me that a new pg user might dismiss RB. too easily. i also want to see the RB user base grow and RB prosper.
IS RB PERFECT ?..NO ! but ive found other competing products arent often perfect either.

let me say also...in the past ive had 'big lads' i met say to me 'REALBAND' or "POWERTRAKS" never heard of it..;.looking down their noses in the process UNTIL
i showed them several of the features and watched their eyes 'bug out' lol.

back to your regular programming ..lol.

happiness to all.

om

ps Mario i still have here my old 'sequencer one' diskette..ah those were the days...lol.
ps teunis. many good points.

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 08/31/22 01:13 PM.

(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
While RealBand and PowerTrack Pro have their advocates I hope the discussion doesn't linger on those programs for a couple of reasons. First RealBand and PowerTrack Pro are PG Music's DAW offerings and I don't want this topic to become a discussion of PG Music DAWs versus all the other DAWs out there. Second the programs are only available for Windows so Macintosh users are left out of the discussion.

Some of you mentioned you are more comfortable or use to performing certain tasks in your DAW versus Band-in-a-Box. I understand that as I normally don't like getting out of my own comfort zone.

Bob Calver brought up an interesting thought. He mentioned "growing up" with Band-in-a-Box so he is comfortable using the program. I think experience using ANY product or program breeds comfort. Once you are comfortable with a program you naturally prefer other products that are similar and operate in a similar manner.

I believe one reason some people have difficulty with Band-in-a-Box is they are comfortable using a DAW. They believe Band-in-a-Box is a DAW so they expect BiaB to work similar to a DAW. Related from a user interaction standpoint is that there is really no other program to compare Band-in-a-Box against.

Veteran
Veteran
IT IS NOT THE TOOL, IT IS THE PERSON USING THE TOOL.

I yelled that because it is the truth. It really doesn't matter what your tools are but the experience behind the person using it. Many tools are job specific while others have a few "side" functions. Yes a screwdriver can be a hammer for small nails, or an awe, or a small pry bar but they are not the optimum tool for those jobs. However they may get the job done.

All powerful pieces of software have learning curves. BiaB, any DAW, Scaler, etc have huge learning curves IF you want to dig deep into the program.

Any workflow is great IF it works for you. Charlie, RHarv, Matt, Joanne, and others have dug deep into BiaB and/or RB; thanx GOD they are willing to share their information. I use BiaB as a scratch pad figuring out chord progressions and styles. Sometimes I will use either the Melodist or the Soloist to give me some ideas for leads. I do all of my heavy work in my DAW, Studio One Pro 5.5 which I have dug deeply into. I have no desire to dig deeply into BiaB or RB as I can do many if not all of those things Charlie and others have listed quicker and easier in my DAW. Why? Because I know my DAW as you know your tools. This workflow works for me and may not for others.

As I stated it is the tool user and not the tool.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
J
Veteran
Veteran
J

I yelled that because it is the truth.

Your point is true but it is not the complete truth! Some tools are better than others and it is perfectly valid to have that discussion. Every piece of technology is subjected to reviews and comparisons with other implementations so potential users can can make a more informed decision.

The whole argument that a poor tool can be used to create quality results does not change the FACT that there are much better tools available.

And the issue is a LOT deeper than just deep diving into a poor tool to learn to work around it's warts. I believe it is FAR better to simply find a better tool!

Expert
Expert
It’s funny how many people seem to be either afraid or not interested in learning a new skill. When I first started work as a trainee after leaving school I went to a training school where about 50% of our time in the first year was about how to correctly use tools. Use the correct tool or best tool for the job.

With producing music there are many alternatives into how to get a job done. I recall a little session I had with a fellow musician who said you can’t use BIAB to do that and I showed him how. He said I have had BIAB for years and I didn’t know that. I said go to the PG site there is a plethora of great videos there to demonstrate aspects of BIAB. Go find Joanne Coopers stuff or Henry Clarke you’ll learn heaps. “Oh I don’t have the time for that”. My answer then I can’t help you.

I find learning is what it is about. I spend time every day looking and reading stuff on these forums. I learn by doing so. I reckon I still spend 50% of my time learning new skills or finding ways to make better use of what I know.

I said earlier in these posts it is about using the best or most appropriate tool for the job. In music production this can be very subjective however without enough learning how can one make the best choices.

Learn!!! It is fun.

My thoughts
Tony

Last edited by Teunis; 08/31/22 02:32 PM.

Focusrite 2i2 3rd Gen, Launchkey 61, Maton CW80, Telecaster, Ovation Elite TX, Yamaha Pacifica 612
BB 2022(912) RB 2022(2), CakeWalk, Reaper 6, Audacity, Melodyne 5 Editor, Izotope Music Production Suite 4.1
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: JohnJohnJohn

I yelled that because it is the truth.

Your point is true but it is not the complete truth! Some tools are better than others and it is perfectly valid to have that discussion. Every piece of technology is subjected to reviews and comparisons with other implementations so potential users can can make a more informed decision.

The whole argument that a poor tool can be used to create quality results does not change the FACT that there are much better tools available.

And the issue is a LOT deeper than just deep diving into a poor tool to learn to work around it's warts. I believe it is FAR better to simply find a better tool!

I agree and stated in the somewhat evasive (now that I have gone back and looked) statement in the first paragraph "Yes a screwdriver can be a hammer for small nails, or an awe, or a small pry bar but they are not the optimum tool for those jobs. However they may get the job done."

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Teunis
It’s funny how many people seem to be either afraid or not interested in learning a new skill. When I first started work as a trainee after leaving school I went to a training school where about 50% of our time in the first year was about how to correctly use tools. Use the correct tool or best tool for the job.

With producing music there are many alternatives into how to get a job done. I recall a little session I had with a fellow musician who said you can’t use BIAB to do that and I showed him how. He said I have had BIAB for years and I didn’t know that. I said go to the PG site there is a plethora of great videos there to demonstrate aspects of BIAB. Go find Joanne Coopers stuff or Henry Clarke you’ll learn heaps. “Oh I don’t have the time for that”. My answer then I can’t help you.

I find learning is what it is about. I spend time every day looking and reading stuff on these forums. I learn by doing so. I reckon I still spend 50% of my time learning new skills or finding ways to make better use of what I know.

I said earlier in these posts it is about using the best or most appropriate tool for the job. In music production this can be very subjective however without enough learning how can one make the best choices.

Learn!!! It is fun.

My thoughts
Tony

Tony, with all do respect I don't think it is about being afraid or not interested is learning new things. I know I have learned a lot about BiaB and RB by being active on these forums. Its about using the tools that are right for you.

Why should I learn any other DAW when I am happy and challenged with the one I have now? Why should I learn or use what I know about in BiaB when I can do it easier and quicker in my DAW? I could be spending that time composing and/or playing.

I am also a constant learner. I have and/or in the process of learning about a number of programs and sound sources that can help me make better music, I hope. None of them are about BiaB or DAWs as I am happy with those as I use them now. That is not to say that I am static with them. I look at all of the options available to me each year and learn the ones that I find will help me. Things like the micro-chords (I hate that name!), globally setting the loop function to one, trying the VST, etc.

Peace and YMMV

Expert
Expert
Quote:
Tony has the right answer. A DAW and BiaB are two different tools.

Add a notation app to that and it’s three tools. It all depends on the project.

For me, it may start in Sibelius (by a client) and end up in Notion. Mine might start in Encore and/or Finale and get synced to Digital Performer via Rewire—even though the code is depreciated, RW still works on the MacOS. Others begin and end in DP — or GarageBand/Logic/Audacity/Reaper/Bitwig/Zoom and end in DP.

Very few of my own projects never begin in BIAB but many of my clients’ do. Normally, if I begin in BIAB, I finish in it but not always.

Back t the hammer and screw metaphor: Nearly all AV presentations have video elements mixed with slides or are straight video. I do these in Premiere Elements or FinalCut ProX depending on complexity — easy peasy. However, yesterday, I started a 2-hour project that is slides and music only. I fired up PE and was 10 minutes into it when I realized that, though I can do it as a video, PowerPoint was the far superior app—I’d not used PP in 20 years but it was easy to get back in the saddle.

Again, it all depends on the project. I do this for a living.

BIAB 2023 Audiophile, 24/60 Core M2 Mac Studio Ultra/8TB/192GB Sonoma, M1 MBAir, 2012 MBP
Digital Performer 11, LogicPro
Finale27.4, Dorico5, Encore5, SmartScorePro64, Notion6, Overture5
Veteran
Veteran
Ol' MAC had a couple sayings that still stick with me;

1. Run what you brung

2. If it sounds good it IS good

My input is that if you have something that works for you, use it, but don't be afraid of learning other new tools (or remembering old ones as Mike Halloran pointed out)
The important part is number 2 (yeah I said number 2) .. if the end result sounds good, it doesn't matter what you used or how many extra features it had.

Listening to a song I couldn't care less whether it was made in DAW A or DAW B

Veteran
Veteran
I think it’s interesting just how much we all have in common here.

1. Everyone here is speaking their own truth as to what tools they use
2. Everyone here either built the tool they use or was introduced to it by someone or something
3. Everyone has a story on how they arrived at BiaB
4. Everyone has a story on how they arrived at music
5. Everyone is somewhere on the music proficiency spectrum(s)
6. Everyone is on a dynamic and limited time continuum

Because of #6, the tool(s) you use today may not be the tool(s) you use tomorrow. Or tomorrow you may have more tools in your box than you do today.

I think everyone can agree that (in general) a hammer is better at driving and removing nails than a screwdriver. And (in general) a screwdriver is better at inserting and removing screws than a hammer. If you know how to use both.

But when you consider complex software tools that are revised periodically and must operate on your particular hardware platform and must fit within your workflow and must be at least somewhat comfortable and efficient to use, well then, the simple analogy of the hammer and screwdriver begins to break down.

Another factor at play in considering a new or different software tool is “herd mentality”. Unless you are a maverick, most likely you will avoid adopting a tool that no one else is using for fear of having no help when you need it. Instead, you will choose to use the tool that many are already promoting and using. And then collaborating with others may also influence your choice of tools.

I would say that most if not all of us want to become more proficient in music while maintaining or increasing the level of satisfaction and fun we get from music. So to springboard from Teunis’ thought we should continue to learn. This requires researching, considering, pondering, testing, and adopting new tools as we are able. In a nutshell . . . grow, adapt and be happy smile

BiaB 2024 Windows
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Thumper.

let me say i really liked your last post above in this thread.
particularly 'So to springboard from Teunis’ thought we should continue to learn.' etc etc.

btw i'm a maverick…lol.

happiness

om

C
Veteran
Veteran
C
The question "Why use a DAW when there is BIAB" literally depends on how BIAB is used in a workflow. I'm not speaking of the release year or program pak, but rather if one stays in BIAB as long as possible or if they rough out a song and render tracks and do the majority of arrangement and production in a DAW. The rendered output from each method yields dramatically different results.

Remaining in BIAB can take full advantage of the BIAB algorithm, multiple tools, techniques and features that are used to develop the structure, song form, instrument choice and arrangement, editing and effects.

Likewise, by quickly generating and rendering audio, the structure and song form are developed but most, if not all, of the more advanced programable or automatic tasks that are possible from using BIAB's tools, features and processes and allowing the BIAB algorithm to initiate commands and functions are lost to the user.

It's possible that in a single bar on a single track for the BIAB algorithm and settings to:
. Change from one RT instrument to another
. Alternately, have two or more instruments play simultaneously
. Change styles
. Change the sub-style
. Modulate the key
. Adjust the tempo
. Generate specific ending audio chosen for instrument 1
. Generate specific intro audio chosen for instrument 2
. Fade out the first instrument
. Fade in the second instrument
. Crossfade the two instruments
. Change the panning setting
. Change the volume level
. Repeatedly regenerate these actions and settings with the Generate and play icon.

In BIAB this is automatically initiated with a click of a button.

In a DAW, each step is done manually because most likely the two instruments are on separate tracks. In addition, RealTrack instrument changes or regenerations require going back to BIAB and requires additional rendered tracks for the different styles.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Veteran
Veteran
As longtime Mac users Logic Pro X was to us the obvious choice based on the following:

- $199 and free upgrades for life.

- A huge sound library and they are always free. New ones added all the time.

- A world of built in plug-ins and they are always free

- Groove track ... name a track the groove and lock all others to it. GREAT way to easily double drum components and more.

- Great pitch editor although I do not pitch change vocals.

- The automation lanes for FX variables, volume and panning are extremely easy to use.

- Dragging and dropping into Logic from BiaB is simple and quick.

- Virtual instruments galore -- amps/speakers/mics, pedals, keys and on and on. Free for life.

- Drummers that can be set up in around a zillion ways

- Graphically edit MIDI events (all kinds of midi stuff but that's not my cup of tea ... but I bet it's good).

- Customize the control bar and toolbar with additional buttons and controls.

- Customize key commands

-Customize your workflow using screensets.

- Large free loops library

- User friendly interface and it's hard to imagine what you could want that it doesn't do.

- Turn on a "simplified" mode that reduces the complexity of operations.

- And a host of functions I've never used as they are way above my mixing pay grade.

Oh, did I mentioned the Mac version of BiaB doesn't have RealBand? smile But we hear amazing productions here done with it.

Bud

J
Veteran
Veteran
J
4T(The Total Talent Team) JnB.
(kudos to you re your songs btw…and Janices great vocs.)

there are serious questions ive been itching to ask seasoned mac users like your good selves for sometime in case i found a deal on a refurb older intel mini or a newer m1 mini for cheap as the m2 comes out from my reading.

1.. yes logic is a very nice product. so my question is …
why , in that case,... do mac users get D Performer ? or Studio One for Mac ?
or others like Bitwig, Audacity or reaper etc etc. ??
cos i'm confused on this point.
frankly i feel a genius like G Martin would do hit songs on anything ..
eg G Band also looks good to moi. who can complain for free..!

2.. second question…
do you feel that the iphone marketing strategy will be followed with the mac mini. ie using the new 'm' silicon 2023 a m2 mini, 2024 a m3 mini, …
2025 a m4 mini….etc etc ? if so this opens up for 'cheapies' like me to 'stay behind the tech curve' and get the previous generation. ie refurbs//off lease used.
frankly i'm very curious due my background to see if the 'm' silicon plataeus at some point in processing power.
but it wouldnt matter much to me as an m2 would prolly keep me happy for a looong time.

thanks and looking forward to your answers cos the 'm' silicon is getting me v excited.

happiness and best to you both.

om

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 09/01/22 11:57 AM.

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I'm sure Logic Pro is a fine DAW with many great tools built-in. Every DAW has its strengths and ease of use is one strength I've read people comment about Logic Pro time and time again.

But Band-in-a-Box also has many built-in tools. How easy is Band-in-a-Box to use? It automatically performs audio clip crossfades. The selected style automatically selects track instruments, track volume level, track panning, track equalization and track reverb. These are all simple tasks that must be performed many times in most DAWs but are automatic in Band-in-a-Box.

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Jim Fogle
I'm sure Logic Pro is a fine DAW with many great tools built-in. Every DAW has its strengths and ease of use is one strength I've read people comment about Logic Pro time and time again.

But Band-in-a-Box also has many built-in tools ...

With RB is not being available to Mac folks we have no empirical basis for comparison other than what we read from folks who use it. We do hear some fine RB productions posted here.

Bud

Veteran
Veteran
Ah, luckily this hasn't degenerated into the Real Band Users Versus the World of so many threads.

For me the journey has been Mono reel recorder, stereo cassette, 12 track recording studio, 4 track demo recording studio, 24 track recording studio, four track cassette, eight track cassette, Cakewalk Pro Audio 9.3 and settled with Reaper...each has been fun and relatively intuitive to use or record to. It tried using BIAB to record etc. but it was a clumsy mess in my hands.

BIAB is great for what I want from it...drums and occasional other instruments that I can use to build a song upon in my DAW of choice, (which isn't BIAB or RB).
Fun to experiment in BIAB, lots of options too but it is, FOR ME, too clunky to use as a DAW.

BIAB with multi track drums, Song Form/structure as well as the DAW Plug In, (and the development of that says reems about the perspective of the company), reach peak coolness for my needs...
...any/everything else peripheral/occasional useful/diverting.

I find the best sonic quality comes from exporting untreated .wav files, centred and mono where appropriate and then adding them to my DAW. I don't drag them in via the DAW plugin because I get at least one glitch with each project.

Tools for the user, work flow for the worker. Each to their own in this privileged, hobby enabled western world.

Last edited by rayc; 09/01/22 10:30 PM.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Re…REALBAND (RB).

well…lol…certainly, over the years, ive done enough for the cause , in spreading the rb (and powertracks) message…including to big rigs where i would take my 'ruff demos'….who often 'bugged out' after seeing what could be done for a v small investment in pg products.

what i mean is for someone starting out the under 100 buckys pg plus pak is one hey of a deal for biab AND rb…. and the cost of powertraks and upgrades is a superb deal too….by comparison to what big rigs cost, and their huge investments.
(e.g. much as i like 24 track 2 inch the tape alone cost me a few hundred bucks.)

i'm just trying to fair to pg products. also no usb dongles.

time for a new generation to spread the message. lol.

to be clear i like not only rb but also biab and reaps.
i use the strengths of each.
however i'm not silly…of course if tomorrow a superior new multitrack product came out that combined all the best of bb/rb and reaps of course i would look at it.

what ive pondered many times is , why do certain pg users like joanne, rharv and myself (and others ) like rb soooo much. is there a commonality tween us ? and yet other people cant seem to get into rb. me..i'm a 'digger' so maybe there is a clue there.

what has really surprised me over the years is no competing products have come out for the pc and mac platforms that tightly integrate auto accompaniment/multitrack/session instruments etc etc.
if i could get above on a reasonable priced apple mac mini with a 'm' cpu running at 5ghz i would have to look at it.(eg a "super duper logic x version'.)

what i'm interested in also seeing is how apple engineers
deal with the 'laws of physics' as the performance of 'm'
cpu's speed is ramped ever higher. also 'heat' and power consumption. etc

whatever you use…just enjoy yourselves doing it like i do.

happiness to all.

om

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 09/02/22 03:20 AM.

Veteran
Veteran
I'm finding this thread very interesting and love the fact that no wars have been started.

As you know I use Studio One Pro as my DAW and very rarely use RB. HOWEVER I have always said that if you don't have a favorite DAW then start with RB.

A few messages back Jim listed a number of things that BiaB will do automatically. Many of those things are what I want to control thus I leave BiaB as soon as I can and go to my DAW.

Jim's comments got me thinking what are the primary sound sources people are using and how long do they stay in BiaB? Are those staying in BiaB primary RT users? Are those using primary MIDI leaving BiaB quicker? Or doesn't what you use as sound sources matter? I think that would be interesting data.

I will start. I am primary MIDI. I leave BiaB as a scratch pad, i.e get my chords and style and immediately move to my DAW. There I have total control.

PS - If you think this is off topic just let me know and I will delete this message.

Journeyman
Journeyman
99% real tracks.
Get out of Biab asap.
No biab plug in my daw.
Logic Pro.

biab2023(Mac)
Logic Pro X
Veteran
Veteran
Jim's comments got me thinking what are the primary sound sources people are using and how long do they stay in BiaB? Are those staying in BiaB primary RT users? Are those using primary MIDI leaving BiaB quicker? Or doesn't what you use as sound sources matter? I think that would be interesting data.

This is not meant to be a nit, but there is another sound source that I (and I think others) frequently use. It's recording audio into a DAW (Studio One for me) from my keyboard or BeatBuddy drum machine. This is not MIDI and does not involve BiaB.

BiaB 2024 Windows
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Originally Posted By: mrgeeze
99% real tracks.
Get out of Biab asap.
No biab plug in my daw.
Logic Pro.

And just to show how much variety there is in BIAB users, mine is:

75% RealTracks (the real creativity is in the MIDI, though).
Stay in BIAB as long as possible.
No BIAB Plug-in needed but use the older DAW Mode to drag tracks into a DAW.
Studio One 5.

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Bass Thumper

This is not meant to be a nit, but there is another sound source that I (and I think others) frequently use. It's recording audio into a DAW (Studio One for me) from my keyboard or BeatBuddy drum machine. This is not MIDI and does not involve BiaB.

That is not a nit. I also use Studio One for things like that, i.e. keyboard, vocals, guitar, and bass recording. My point, that maybe I didn't explain properly, is how soon, if ever, do you leave BiaB.

I could never do in BiaB that I do in my DAW as quickly and easily as I can do it in my DAW. I'm sure it is the same with you. YMMV

Expert
Expert
When it comes to how soon I come out of BIAB it really depends on what I feel at the time usually pretty quickly. I may bounce back into BIAB to change an instrument or maybe go back and covert a track to MIDI so that I can edit it or use a different instrument. I might even go into RB particularly to get a few MultiRiff options on a bar or two. (Yes I know there are other ways to do it but I tend to stick to what works for me). I set everything to flat, dry and centre then export it and pull it into Reaper. I might add more instruments or write parts outside BIAB in my DAW.

In Reaper it is very easy to move stuff, (for example move a note by a number of ticks or maybe cut an paste entire bars) maybe do Spectral edits to get shy of noises I don’t want etc. As I mix I often notice things I want changed.

Once I have it I will change levels as a song progresses using envelopes. I might change play rates in a song or more likely at the end. Yep I could do that in BIAB but it is much easier and more accurate to perform rate changes using an envelope that I can see and adjust whilst listening to the track. (No calculations or guesses to percentages). Using envelopes it is easy to start change in any part of a bar.

Once I have the song roughly ho I want it I might put Neutron on every track (one click in Reaper). I then use a chain on my output (one click). This output chain has the Visual Mixer, Ozone, Tonal balance Control and Insight. In a nutshell it is simple and quite efficient.

I get back to saying the best tools for particular functions (yes what are the best tools is subjective but it is what I have).

I use mainly RealTracks because I consider them to be truly excellent in the main. I also have a vast collection of sampled instruments and many synths (which I very rarely use).

Tony

Last edited by Teunis; 09/02/22 12:33 PM.

Journeyman
Journeyman
BIAB while I compose (though I sometimes use Scaler 2 in Logic for the composing stage as well or even Garage Band for iPad (especially for drum programming))
Logic Pro X for the rest, as I feel much more in control in the DAW with signal chain and processing (controlling Waves plugins through BIAB sucks!)
Then Ozone in stand alone mode when I master

Bottom line - you find the workflow that suits your needs best, and since we probably have different approaches on workflows, then one size doesn't fit all.

MacMini M1 - BIAB2021 - Logic Pro X - iZotope Music Production Suite - Scaler 2 - far too many Waves plugins and Line 6 Guitars and boards + a fantastic Yamaha THR10ll mini Amp - Avid MBOX Studio

Peters' Garage is available on all major streaming services
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I listed a few tasks Band-in-a-Box automatically performs to illustrate there are benefits to using Band-in-a-Box users don't think about or overlooked. The majority of the tasks I listed can be somewhat repetitive in a DAW.

At least one person indicated a preference to manually perform one or more of these tasks. I can understand that. Most users responding in this thread are very experienced. If I had the ears, skill and experience some of you have I'd want to maintain them at that level.

But I'm not at that level. I don't REALLY want to put in the time and effort to get to that level; although sometimes I like to believe I do.

So far I haven't read much where someone says they use their DAW to do this or that because Band-in-a-Box can't do one of those things. The feedback seems to be more about using their DAW because of familiarity, comfort level or maintaining skills. Those reasons are as good as any but were any of them your first thought when you saw the title of this thread, "Why Use A DAW When There Is Band-in-a-Box"?

Veteran
Veteran

At a primary foundational level, I do not understand this thread.

BIAB generates tracks, and is wonderful to work with as a song track builder and backing track creator.

However, when you move to the point where you want to do some serious mixing, envelope creation, fading, coloring, addition of numerous track "pieces", and the application of VSTS to all those tracks and the busses, how can you skip the DAW??????

That is where the mixing and mastering takes place.

(Real Band is a gem in that it not only generates tracks but also is not bad as DAW. It is wonderful to see your tracks laid out and get the visual glimpse of how it is all coming together from top to bottom in Real Band. Need a mandolin in there for a few seconds?? Add one!)

But I always do the final stuff in Cakewalk, because of the ease of use with mixing, VSTS, and stuff like that.

So, I am not sure I get this thread.

BIAB and DAWS are too different animals. Apples and oranges.

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
David, I agree comparing Band-in-a-Box to any DAW is not fair to Band-in-a-Box or the DAW because it is an apple to orange comparison. Comparing the two was not my original intent. I tried to phrase the title question, "Why Use A DAW When There Is Band-in-a-Box?" in such a manner that responding forum members would not compare.

The thought that prompted me to ask the title question is: PG Music continues to add more and more DAW like functionality to Band-in-a-Box every year. At the same time forum users continue to render tracks flat, dry and centered to export the tracks to their DAW where the tracks are edited, mixed, processed and mastered.

Much, but not all, of that work can be done in Band-in-a-Box. Sometimes the work is easier in Band-in-a-Box. Then why not do the work in Band-in-a-Box?

As someone that has Band-in-a-Box, Cakewalk (software DAW), Audacity (software digital recorder and wave editor), (hardware DAW) I've challenged myself to stay inside Band-in-a-Box as much as possible. What I'm discovering is I can do almost everything in Band-in-a-Box that I can do with my other products.

I'm also discovering old habits are hard to break. It's easy to return to the other products because I'm comfortable using them for certain tasks. So I have to use Band-in-a-Box long enough to be comfortable using Band-in-a-Box.

There are some tasks Band-in-a-Box can't do or the steps to perform a task don't make sense to me but overall I'm finding Band-in-a-Box can do more than I thought.

One last thought if I may. Some of the users that posted in this thread have used software DAWs or midi sequencers for a long time. They have their DAW templates tuned to perfection, the skill to edit, mix and process tracks to achieve a unified sound. I'm not that person. My investment in time and money is Band-in-a-Box so the more I can do in Band-in-a-Box the more return on my investment I receive.

Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
(Real Band is a gem in that it not only generates tracks but also is not bad as DAW. It is wonderful to see your tracks laid out and get the visual glimpse of how it is all coming together from top to bottom in Real Band. Need a mandolin in there for a few seconds?? Add one!)

But I always do the final stuff in Cakewalk, because of the ease of use with mixing, VSTS, and stuff like that.

They're also two different fruits. Llamas and kangaroos <grin>

I post here to support PT/RB, which brought me into this fold, so yeah, I am biased.
I totally admit it.

I use other DAWs, but since this is the PG Forum, I try to support them.
As you said, RB is unique in that you can work in a DAW environment but still Generate.
I know the BiaB plugin allows doing that in other DAWs ..
Once I need to move on from RB, I'm fine with that, but I need reasons .. sometimes I don't need to move on at all
Mixing, VSTs etc seem to work OK for me in RB usually, and when they don't I move on .. but to get back to OP, producing a final product in BiaB; that's extremely rare here
/as in I'm not sure I ever have

Last edited by rharv; 09/03/22 09:31 AM.

Expert
Expert
it seems to me Jim that you have learnt every new wrinkle of BIAB as it has come out. time past it didn't do a lot of the things a DAW does so we all learnt how to supplement BIAB with a DAW (in my case RB).

so, why go back to BIAB to learn how to do things we already do quite happily outside BIAB?

nothing else produces a track that's almost right as quickly as BIAB but for my needs - creating the equivalent of a four or five piece folk or pop band - BIAB's basic functions are perfectly adequate without a lot that has been introduced to make BIAB more like a DAW.

like rharv i admit i'm a PT/RB advocate because i grew up with them. yes BIAB does a lot of things now, but i already have the tools I've used for a long time to do them so the steep learning curve of how to do the new things BIAB can do -is something I avoid

J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Bob/Rharv/other RB/PTW users etc..

i think frankly its time to change the product name of Powertracks.(PTW) maybe...
cos anyone thinking of buying it..and not aware what we mean by PT might think reading these forums we were talking about another well known industry product.
and thus PG might lose a sale perhaps.

maybe PG should have a contest for a new name for Powertracks.
how bout POWERDAW 23. meaning 2023 version then in 2024 version..POWERDAW 24.

anyhoo before originally getting biab/rb i started with PTW as a test as i was using also a 2 inch tape based studio at that time.,...and as PTW cost peanuts..and bcos i'm a maverick , and muso mates looked down their noses at PTW even tho' they had never tried PTW….
i thought why not …worst case i lose the cost of a cheap dinner out….lol.

well…to say i was impressed is an understatement...
compared to much more pricey products. particularly cos i ran it on a junk pc at the time as a test….sooo i sold off the 2 inch gear etc cos i was v fed up with tape and constant maintenance costs and powertracks gave me more tracks and i saved big time over using 2 inch gear.

THUS the move to RB was a natural progression i guess….many times i might 'do a ruff demo'
in RB like i used to do in PTW.

as i said upthread ..and no one commented…i'm very curious if there is a similar character trait tween us RB users ? eg Joanne/Rharv/Bob/David/moi and other users i'm not aware of. etc etc.
for example i'm a 'digger'. are you all the same ?
i would love to know...why some people take to RB like 'a duck to water' , but some dont.

now the above is not to knock biab. ive used it soo many times also for song development,
and its great so many features have been added.
i use biab all the time like RB.

and i'm excited what 2023 will bring to both biab and rb.

happiness.

om

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 09/03/22 01:36 PM.

C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Originally Posted By: David Snyder

At a primary foundational level, I do not understand this thread.

BIAB generates tracks, and is wonderful to work with as a song track builder and backing track creator.

However, when you move to the point where you want to do some serious mixing, envelope creation, fading, coloring, addition of numerous track "pieces", and the application of VSTS to all those tracks and the busses, how can you skip the DAW??????

That is where the mixing and mastering takes place.

To answer how can you skip the DAW BIAB requires defining the foundations of BIAB and DAWs. The two software program types entered music creation relatively close to each other. They're different but they share the same foundation, analog multi track recording. The oldest reference I've found where PG Music marketed BIAB as a Multi Track recording is back in the 2015 release of both PC and Mac versions. BIAB had audio elements prior to that year but that's when audio recording was introduced and the term multi track was used.

As each software program developed and progressed, DAWs advanced in track count, digital editing features, VST instruments, libraries and overwhelming quantity of gear emulation software, and mixer routing of a very complex nature.

BIAB developed and progressed improving and adding RealTracks, UserTracks, Styles, upgrading and improving the BIAB algorithm, stability, the elastique stretch and pitch component and upgraded and improved processes and features effecting the multi track emulation of BIAB. BIAB is a very robust and capable digital multi track recorder that's on par more with stand alone digital multi track recorders than it is today's modern DAW. But, the same as a stand alone recorder, BIAB is capable of producing a full production without using a DAW.

Modern digital technology has made it that audio degradation has been eliminated from multi track processes like bouncing and sub mixing down multiple tracks that are used to increase the number of tracks available over the unit's physical track limitation. Prior to the introduction of the 16 additional Utility Tracks, it was assumed BIAB was limited to 8 channel inputs and tracks and if a song production needed more than these 8 channels, then tracks had to be exported and the project completed in a DAW. This has never been the case. Applying well established multi track recorder techniques and processes like assigning groups, aux sends/returns and bouncing, channel and track count had not been a recording project issue for decades. Early Beatles recordings made on 3 and 4 track machines routinely had a final mix of 14-16 tracks. Doubled harmonies, added percussions, guitars and vocals doubled, strings, piano, harmonica could all be in a final Beatle song recorded on a 4 track.

These same principles, techniques, processes, features and tools have been available for use in BIAB all along.

Because BIAB is capable of producing an arrangement of 24, 48 or more tracks in a first generation recording with no audio degradation, a recording that's panned, audio balanced and processed with digital Fx's, it's possible to 'skip' a DAW if one wants to.

Veteran
Veteran
But Jim,

There is NO WAY on God's Green earth to do 1/1000 of what I can do to a .wav, or 20 tracks of .wavs inside of a DAW like Cakewalk in BIAB.

I can get the basic tracks generated, but I don't WANT BIAB effects or panning. I want my OWN, out of a list of 1,000 VSTS I have. I maybe use 40 VSTS on 10 drum channels alone.

Then I export a mixed drum track.

THEN, boy that is where the real stuff begins and there is a LOT of fiddling and fading, and knob adjusting on rack mounts to get the exact sound I want.

So, yeah I love the heck out of BIAB for those real tracks (and midi) but there is no way to create the real artisanship of mixing inside BIAB unless BIAB becomes a full on DAW, which would be pointless. There already is Real Band which is great for track visualization AND generation.

There is a thread going on about "Tonnetz charts" in another area (woodshedding I think), and if you look at the website (https://www.songwriter.studio/) almost all of the lessons hint at an architectural methodology for "energy flow" that might best be created in Real Band! Chord by chord and track by track, section by section.

I will forever see track "generation" and track "management" (as one part of arrangement) as two different things.

Band-in-a-Box gives you an arrangement of sorts, but if you are making a real song, the best you can get is to the fifty yard line.

You still have a long way to go after you have those basic tracks in mind, and even if you use the pink dot dot dots.

That's my rant.

smile

H
Journeyman
Journeyman
H
But Jim,

There is NO WAY on God's Green earth to do 1/1000 of what I can do to a .wav, or 20 tracks of .wavs inside of a DAW like Cakewalk in BIAB.

Band-in-a-Box gives you an arrangement of sorts, but if you are making a real song, the best you can get is to the fifty yard line.

You still have a long way to go after you have those basic tracks in mind, and even if you use the pink dot dot dots.

That's my rant.

smile

For me the answer is not a knock on BIAB but in a nutshell LOOPS LOOPS LOOPS :-) I Gotta agree with Dave on this one. In all fairness I can only use BIAB as a tool. With all my vocal layering. singing 4 part harmonies, and creating a ton of vocal adlibs (just to name a few things) no way can I do this "EFFECTIVELY" in BIAB. Plus mainly I use a LOT OF LOOPS !! No way can I create my loop compositions in BIAB satisfactorily. This loop based creation is so far from a BIAB composition that it cannot come close to comparing. https://youtu.be/MMrw48cl26Q

Last edited by Henry Clarke; 09/03/22 07:41 PM.
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Henry Clarke
For me the answer is not a knock on BIAB but in a nutshell LOOPS LOOPS LOOPS :-) I Gotta agree with Dave on this one. In all fairness I can only use BIAB as a tool. With all my vocal layering. singing 4 part harmonies, and creating a ton of vocal adlibs (just to name a few things) no way can I do this "EFFECTIVELY" in BIAB. Plus mainly I use a LOT OF LOOPS !! No way can I create my loop compositions in BIAB satisfactorily. This loop based creation is so far from a BIAB composition that it cannot come close to comparing. https://youtu.be/MMrw48cl26Q

Knock-out sound Henry. Clearly a big effort went into this arrangement, and sure it's absolutely reasonable to understand that BiaB wasn't ever designed to deliver that level of production 'out of the box'. What BiaB does, it does extremely well, but what you've done is at another level.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
ALL.

i feel i must agree with david's and henry's comments re daw usage.

in my case i do a lot of detailed vocal work in reaps….. multiple voc tests, v low level micro edits comps etc etc.
its one of the reasons i like reaps. otoh i dont use autotune because i feel vocs by their nature should be natural. i know autotune is the current rage…but not for moi..also i remind myself zillions of grrreat tunes were done before autotune. and if i screw up a voc its my own fault.

anyway reaps has a 'poor mans' tuning feature available which lets me fix the odd vocal note.
but the main thing is the ease i can zoom in and do micro edits..and do subtle stuff like slow down a song and solo a trak in order to make it easier to do a micro edit.
also reaps has 'spectral editing'…but ive not needed it yet.

basically i use biab and rb often for getting down 'the song foundation/bed traks'..
and the reaps and rb for what i might say is the 'iceing on the song cake'.

as teunis aptly said 'use the right tool for the job'.

which is why i use bb AND rb AND reaps to do a song.
(note i really really like the mp3 maker in rb for some reason i cant put my finger on.)

I REALLY LIKE IN RB THE ABILITY TO RIGHT CLIK OVER A TRAK AND HAVE SOOO MANY DIFFERENT GENERATION//trak creation OPTIONS,...eg clik traks//audio traks//midi traks etc etc. very very flexible. things other daws dont do.

i often wonder if new users really explore the trak right clik LOOOONG lol menu trick in rb.
there all sorts of neat features to discover. yes i'm an unapologetic FAN of RB....and...
if my wishes in the wishlist came about with flac and other wishes etc, i would be over the moon..lol.

happiness to all.

om

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 09/04/22 01:59 AM.

C
Veteran
Veteran
C
< Originally Posted By: David Snyder
But Jim,

That's my rant. >

I think it's also fair to say:

<There's NO WAY on God's Green earth to do 1/1000 of what I can create as a single RealTrack WAV, or 20 tracks of RealTrack WAVs inside of a DAW like Cakewalk like I can in BIAB.>

Yes, "You still have a long way to go after you have those basic tracks in mind, and even if you use the pink dot dot dots." but the question posed for this thread, "Why Use A DAW When There Is Band-in-a-Box?" infers that "the pink dot dot dots" isn't as far as BIAB can go in developing a RealTrack or song arrangement. You guys are choosing to pull out of BIAB with basic tracks in hand at the fifty yard line when BIAB has not given you all it's got to give when it's at the fifty yard line.

Veteran
Veteran
How do you know you're at the 50 yard line if the goal post keeps moving?

I think most of us are saying we do it to be more efficient with our time.
That is hard to argue against. We know what we are efficient at and what we are not.

Sure I can drive a screw in with a screwdriver by hand, but I can also grab the drill with the right tip and do it 10X faster with less effort.
Doesn't mean the screwdriver is no good.

You asked 'why' and a lot of have given the same reason; it's faster for us, which makes it better.

Last edited by rharv; 09/04/22 03:27 AM.

Veteran
Veteran
Who gives a rodent's rump how a song is produced?

I have never heard anyone say "that song was recorded with, insert DAW, BiaB, Toontrack, or any program of your choice". With some sound sources (RTs, Kontakt, Sampletank, etc) yes but not the process.

We all have our own workflows. We can share them and if others benefit fine, if not also fine.

Lets not let this become a battle between in-depth BiaB users and in-depth DAW users. Each have their pluses and minuses.

Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
We all have our own workflows. We can share them and if others benefit fine, if not also fine.

Exactly.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Veteran
Veteran
I can get the basic tracks generated, but I don't WANT BIAB effects or panning. I want my OWN, out of a list of 1,000 VSTS I have. I maybe use 40 VSTS on 10 drum channels alone.

This just shows me how far I have to go.
10 drum channels? I struggle with 7 channels total in my songs !

And VSTs? If I happen to have any (that came bundled with BiaB or S1), I wouldn't know how to use them.

Signed,
A Hopeless Forever Newbie frown

BiaB 2024 Windows
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Bass Thumper

This just shows me how far I have to go.
10 drum channels? I struggle with 7 channels total in my songs !

And VSTs? If I happen to have any (that came bundled with BiaB or S1), I wouldn't know how to use them.

Signed,
A Hopeless Forever Newbie frown

The journey will be a lot of fun though. We all have lots to learn.
Otherwise it would get boring real fast.

/FWIW, we usually pre-mix drums down to 6-8 channels here, but 10 does not seem excessive. /

40 FX on 10 tracks seems a bit much, considering sub-mixes allow sharing some FX, but I am not criticizing anyone. Do what works.

Most important; have fun, learn as you go. We all did that.
Do it at your own speed.
I would also suggest learning about VSTs, they can make a huge difference.

Last edited by rharv; 09/04/22 07:36 AM.

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: rharv

The journey will be a lot of fun though. We all have lots to learn.
Otherwise it would get boring real fast.

Thanks rharv, it has been and is fun and very far from boring. And BiaB is a big part of that.

We should establish a "PG Music Appreciation Day" where once a year, we express what this company has meant to us in a giant multi-page thread.

BiaB 2024 Windows
Veteran
Veteran
Yeah, that could turn epic
Many things I have done I couldn't have done in BiaB alone, but I couldn't have done without BiaB either.

I do truly appreciate PGMusic and wouldn't be shy to share

Last edited by rharv; 09/04/22 10:49 PM.

Journeyman
Journeyman
I listed a few tasks Band-in-a-Box automatically performs to illustrate there are benefits to using Band-in-a-Box users don't think about or overlooked. The majority of the tasks I listed can be somewhat repetitive in a DAW.

At least one person indicated a preference to manually perform one or more of these tasks. I can understand that. Most users responding in this thread are very experienced. If I had the ears, skill and experience some of you have I'd want to maintain them at that level.

But I'm not at that level. I don't REALLY want to put in the time and effort to get to that level; although sometimes I like to believe I do.

So far I haven't read much where someone says they use their DAW to do this or that because Band-in-a-Box can't do one of those things. The feedback seems to be more about using their DAW because of familiarity, comfort level or maintaining skills. Those reasons are as good as any but were any of them your first thought when you saw the title of this thread, "Why Use A DAW When There Is Band-in-a-Box"?

I started using Logic Pro X and Garageband before I started using BIAB, and this was the workflow I got comfortable with, and where I feel free to be creative with whatever I want to do. Though having DAW'ish functionality, I use BIAB for composition and RTs only which in fact is quite a big deal in my songwriting, performing and production.

I have a single question for you about this - if you're happy using BIAB and it works for you in every possible way, why did you open this discussion in the first place - is it because you're missing anything, that your fellow users could point out, is found in a DAW? (in such case - let us know what you're missing)

Last edited by Peters Garage; 09/04/22 09:08 AM. Reason: Misspelling corrected

MacMini M1 - BIAB2021 - Logic Pro X - iZotope Music Production Suite - Scaler 2 - far too many Waves plugins and Line 6 Guitars and boards + a fantastic Yamaha THR10ll mini Amp - Avid MBOX Studio

Peters' Garage is available on all major streaming services
Expert
Expert
before BIAB could record audio i was using PT to record. is it any wonder that the workflow i established then is the one i feel most comfortable with?

BIA B's DAW like attributes came too late for me. my workflow had already left it behind.

Veteran
Veteran
I have to disagree Audio, or at least say I am confused. I don't think BIAB was ever designed to make anything "out of the Box." It gives you tracks to work with, but you have to do something with them, like any producer. You don't just have a bunch of guys (or ladies) play some parts and then say: "That's it y'all. We're done. We can press our record now."

NO--what you start doing now is the hard part, mixing and mastering.

What Henry does is phenomenal, I agree on that part, but I work in genres of pop, house, rock and even alt-country where I think the stuff I am doing will stand up to anything coming out of a studio. The new stuff in recent editions of BIAB IS the next level.

I think I have proved it numerous times.

SO, I can get some fabulous tracks from BIAB, which has many other neat COMPOSING and EDUCATION tools, but mixing and mastering is not its forte.

For that you need a DAW, pure and simple.

All I can say about the quality of BIAB though--as TRACKS--is this:

If you say you can't use BIAB tracks to create a professional sounding recording (or full length album for that matter) you had to have been hit on the head with a pipe at some point.

There ARE pros on this forum doing just that, but they won't tell you who they are and they are reading all of this.

And laughing their heads off I am sure.

BIAB is the professional producer's best kept secret and everyone knows it.

The only people who keep talking of "limitations" and such are the same people who simply cannot write a song to save their lives.

A real songwriter will write a hit song on a cardboard box if there is nothing else available.

Veteran
Veteran
We use neither a DAW nor Real Band. Just BIAB. My recording process is somewhere between archaic and Neanderthal. But I like the sound I get. And that's what matters. I don't even use a mixing board. Everything I do is straight of the BIAB chord input page to Audacity to Soundcloud. We use the guitar amp for my guitar tracks and as a powered mixer for the vocals.

My process:

Create backing tracks in BIAB. Save as a WAV file in Audacity. All I do in Audacity is a bit of compression and minor EQ adjustments.

For vocals I use an AT 2035 condenser mic. I run the mic straight into my Peavey Nashville 112 guitar amp. We record with reverb already on the amp (rather than dry) and set the vocal and guitar EQ with just the Low - Mid - High - Presence knobs. We adjust the the vocal/guitar volume with the main volume and and gain knobs.

We send the vocal or guitar to Audacity from the amp's headphone jack straight into the PC's mic input with Audacity running on the PC. We do a little touch-up on the vocal in Audacity and save it as a WAV file. We then mix the backing tracks and the vocal/guitar track in Audacity and save it as another (final) WAV file. We upload that to Soundcloud and a few other places. we're done!

I do all my backing track editing on the BIAB chord input page. I use the included BIAB VSTs as needed.

Here are two examples of totally different songs. One is a Boss Nova with my wife on vocals and the other is a really weird psychedelic guitar instrumental. I think they are good examples of the variety of sounds we can get from this method using BIAB. Both of these songs were created and recorded exactly as described above. We use no third party tools other than Audacity - no external loops, VSTs or tracks. Just BIAB plus our vocals or my guitar track. I often get nice comments on the mixing and over-all sound.

1. You (Bossa Nova with my wife on vocals): https://soundcloud.com/alananddi/you-remix

2. Beyond the Ozone - Into the No Parking Zone (Psychedelic Instrumental): https://soundcloud.com/alananddi/beyond-the-ozone-into-the-no-parking-zone

Hope this contributed something worthwhile to the discussion.

Alan

PS:: The lead guitar on the psychedelic track was all BIAB - no outside tools whatsoever.

Last edited by Al-David; 09/05/22 05:15 AM.

BIAB 2024 Ultra Plus-all StylePaks*Win11*16GB DDR5*Rhyzen 9745x*AT 2035 Mic*Peavey Nashville 112 Amp*Ibanez ART120* Acoustic/Electric/Washburn D200S Acoustic*Stromberg Monterey Jazz Guitar

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Al-David
We use neither a DAW nor Real Band. ...............

Alan

In all due respect Alan aren't you are using Audacity as a DAW?

Veteran
Veteran

At the end of day Mario, people can do whatever they want.

I could say:

"Hey I have an old Yamaha 200 keyboard with some cheesy disco demos and I just pump straight out of there to my computer sound hole and then add some tracks in Audacity of me yelling over top of it into my phone."

OK.

What would Andy Warhol say??

Art???

I guess.

Everybody has their own way.

If it sounds good to you and you think you are an artist I guess that's all that counts.

BUT, when I discuss mixing and mastering with people it is usually about a mixing session done with a DAW and a studio board or a DAW and computer.

But that's just me.

I know plenty of people who are doing quite fine in Nashville and their only recording tool is a phone.

Seriously.

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Peters Garage
... I have a single question for you about this - if you're happy using BIAB and it works for you in every possible way, why did you open this discussion in the first place - is it because you're missing anything, that your fellow users could point out, is found in a DAW? (in such case - let us know what you're missing)

Quote:
if you're happy using BIAB and it works for you in every possible way, why did you open this discussion in the first place
Well, I didn't ask the question because Band-in-a-Box works for me in every possible way. I thought I implied as much in my initial post where I listed multiple automation functions that my DAW of choice, Cakewalk, can playback at one time.

The original reason I asked the titled question is because I thought the responses would be along the line of what features DAW users miss in Band-in-a-Box and would like to have in Band-in-a-Box.

The responses so far are not what I expected. I thought the discussion would be about added functionality that would enhance Band-in-a-Box in a manner that DAW users would stay in Band-in-a-Box longer. Something like: "I can use my big money surface controller in my DAW but can't in Band-in-a-Box" or "My DAW has more automation functions than Band-in-a-Box".

Quote:
is it because you're missing anything, that your fellow users could point out, is found in a DAW? (in such case - let us know what you're missing)
Perhaps but I don't know. I'm thinking that in terms of shared, common DAW functions Band-in-a-Box can likely perform it. While every DAW shares some common functionality each DAW also has strengths that make it unique from other DAWs. I wouldn't want the discussion to veer into a discussion of specific DAW strengths while overlooking some common function most DAWs share while Band-in-a-Box does not.

Expert
Expert
If the discussion is what I use or do in a DAW that I can’t or don’t know how to do in BIAB it is mainly about envelopes. Yes it is possible to go into F5 and make volume changes and/or drop tracks etc. I find simply drawing an envelope far smoother and simpler. Using envelopes I can start a change in any part of a bar.

It is also possible to move the timing using the stretch capabilities I have in a DAW.

Spectral editing is something I use a lot sure I may be able to add RX into BIAB but most likely not the features I want but then again in a DAW it is far simpler.

Adding different instruments and adjusting MIDI. Yep once again it is possible in BIAB but to me far simpler in Reaper or Cakewalk. Adding an orchestra such as VSL for example. I would not even attempt it in BAIB (there are many many MIDI CCs and Key Switches that need to be managed.)

Setting the overall LUFS levels of a song.

Above is just a few tasks that I find easier in a DAW. The list is by no means complete.

I do not consider any of the above to be a failing in BIAB. I just think BIAB is a different tool. In some cases I might use BIAB to generate the rough MIDI and add the extras. Sometimes I might write the entire section in a DAW.

Just some thoughts. As has been said “horses for courses”.

Keep well

Tony

J
Veteran
Veteran
J
The original reason I asked the titled question is because I thought the responses would be along the line of what features DAW users miss in Band-in-a-Box and would like to have in Band-in-a-Box.

I sincerely hope PGM does NOT read a thread like this and decide to try to put more DAW features into BIAB!

Modern DAWs are generally feature-rich and stable in both GUI and functionality. Trying to compete with those products by adding DAW features would only water down BIAB unnecessarily.

BIAB does what it does (RealTracks!) so incredibly brilliantly! There is nothing else on the market that can compare (although Toontrack is getting close with their EZ products and pattern libraries.)

Please, please, no additional DAW features for BIAB (but it would be nice if those utility tracks were 100% functional!)

Veteran
Veteran

I sincerely hope PGM does NOT read a thread like this and decide to try to put more DAW features into BIAB!

Modern DAWs are generally feature-rich and stable in both GUI and functionality. Trying to compete with those products by adding DAW features would only water down BIAB unnecessarily.

BIAB does what it does (RealTracks!) so incredibly brilliantly! There is nothing else on the market that can compare (although Toontrack is getting close with their EZ products and pattern libraries.)

Please, please, no additional DAW features for BIAB (but it would be nice if those utility tracks were 100% functional!)

I agree

+100000000000000000000000000000000000

Expert
Expert

I agree

+100000000000000000000000000000000000

I've been refraining from comment, but I've finally cracked.
I also agree.
"Horses for courses" as the UK expression goes.

If I want to drive on the Autobahn, I'd like a nice sports-car in which to do it.
If I want to plough/plow a field, I'd like a nice tractor in which to do it.
I don't need a power take-off in the sports-car.

Jazz relative beginner, starting at a much older age than was helpful.
Kawai MP6, Korg M50, Ui24R, Saffire Pro 40.
AVL:MXE Linux; Windows 11; Win8.1: Scarletts
BIAB2022 UltraPAK, Reaper, a bunch of stuff.
Veteran
Veteran
I think John summed it up nicely.

Quote:
Simple answer is BIAB is NOT a DAW! And, Realband is NOT a feature-rich, modern DAW. Realband does not compare favorably to any of the modern DAWs available today. The one thing it does is support RealTracks but when you realize it doesn't even respect BIAB bar settings, frozen tracks, etc. you see it is not even useful in your BIAB workflow!

BIAB is absolutely brilliant at generating tracks from the awesome RealTracks library. And that is enough! I get in BIAB and out to my DAW ASAP!

The ease of working in a full featured DAW is priceless. Both BB & RB have a unique thing that no DAW can easily do.... but for working with audio, it needs to be a DAW. Yes RB is technically a DAW and BB seems to be adding tracks but it's about the features and ease of use and unfortunately PG still has a ways to go to catch up to the DAWs currently widely used.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
All.

to the people that dont want biab to include more and more daw like features...its gonna be an interesting biab future , and i'll go out on a limb (here come the bad eggs...lol) and say i feel (with no inner pg knowledge)..
that pg will, over time, add more 'daw like' features in bb. cos over time this is what theyve been doing.

my thinking is what else could they do ?
remain static? and just do minor mods/refinements to bb ?
if bb stays static the product could decline cos people always want more.

per my wishlist i would love a total flac featured bb.
and if running on linux...wowser lol.

we shall see..lol.

happiness

om

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 09/06/22 07:46 AM.

B
Journeyman
Journeyman
B

Deal with odd time signatures properly instead of workaround kludges. Heck, even dealing with compound meters correctly would be a major improvement.

Byron Dickens

BIAB. CbB. Mixbus 32C 8 HP Envy. Intel core i7. 16GB RAM W10. Focusrite Scarlett 18i 20. Various instruments played with varying degrees of proficiency.

https://soundcloud.com/athanorsoundlabs
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Okay, so some responding says no new DAW functions. I get it; especially when you're experienced with using a DAW, DAW functions in Band-in-a-Box are redundant.

But if past new feature introductions are ANY indication of Band-in-a-Box's path forward, there will continue to be more DAW like functions added to the program in the future.

My belief is PG Music is targeting new Band-in-a-Box features at the next generation of audio producers that are not locked into using a DAW. If you start audio production using a smartphone or online app then Band-in-a-Box is a step up. If Band-in-a-Box offers DAW functions and that is what they are comfortable using, why switch to a DAW.

Especially for new audio producers PG Music I believe they hope the balance will shift toward Band-in-a-Box as more DAW functions are added.

For the existing DAW functions in Band-in-a-Box my thought is you can't know how easy, hard or if a task can even be done in Band-in-a-Box until you use whatever DAW like feature Band-in-a-Box offers. Then compare with your DAW.

Some DAW tasks are easier in a DAW for sure. But some DAW tasks likely are easier in Band-in-a-Box.

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Byron Dickens

Deal with odd time signatures properly instead of workaround kludges. Heck, even dealing with compound meters correctly would be a major improvement.

I agree!

There is a lot BiaB can improve without adding more DAW features.

J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Byron.
(good points.)

of course , thats a given…but i was taking a broader bb future view.

anyhoo is there any accompaniement software that DOES do many added features that pg users have wanted in bb , myself included ?

heres my view (and i have no inner pg knowledge..i'm just a user like your goodself.)..

1..if the whole coding up music software accompaniement apps was easy/trivial , more companies would be doing it ? crikey i would have a bash myself …lol..thus…

2..i suspect the reason why certain features are missing in bb, is, to implement those features in code is not trivial and/or problematic. cos we used to face the same in industry..ie some features users had been asking for simply couldnt be done or causes problems in another part of the app.

3..i often wonder why some big name daws like 'logic' havent included bb features.
i suspect because they have realised the tech challenges in doing so. also they have no desire to, every year, supply more and more rt//rd libraries.

I'm sure PG devs DO KNOW that there is user frustration re certain features/needs..as we used to know our user base in industry..i'm just suggesting there are cogent reasons at the tech level why those needs havent been met.
maybe it might be usefull if PG gave feedback to users re how possible or not it is to meet certain needs/requests ?

happiness

om

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 09/06/22 09:04 AM.

J
Veteran
Veteran
J
My belief is PG Music is targeting new Band-in-a-Box features at the next generation of audio producers

I don't mean to sound overly negative but so far PGM has not demonstrated that they are in tune with "the next generation of audio producers" either musically (persistent emphasis on classic rock, country and jazz even in 2022) or technically (outdated, overly complex GUI, convoluted documentation, "50 new features" bloat).

Veteran
Veteran
My thought is that BB is unique with what they do and hopefully, they plan to stay in the lead in that regard. To me, for as long as I have been using their product, this last year's release was one of the biggest yet with the microchords and some of the other things they introduced such as the added user tracks. Heck this almost negates the need for Real Band since you can easily add more RT's in BB than the style you select has for a default. Keep making BB more versatile. I continue to use RB because, IIRC, I had a hard time getting the wave files out of BB as individual waves on my last few projects. In RB it's a simple Export. Maybe I'm missing that function somewhere in BB but I didn't see it.

Why spend time coding RB to play catch-up with the really stellar DAW's already on the market? There's really no need to reinvent the wheel. Why jump in a race where everyone is already in the home stretch and you're just leaving the starting gate?

Do what you do the best and stay focused on that. There's still a lot of room in BB for additional improvements to make the process easier.

just my 2 cents.

www.herbhartley.com

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Byron Dickens

This has been accomplished with Realband. Generating ANY odd time I have tested just works.
Yet with the "don't add more DAW features" approach, this will never get to BiaB.

Some days I do not know why people stay in BiaB when RB just works better for a lot of stuff.
.. then I realize some people on here struggle with getting RB to run as expected, which to me seems more of a shortfall than many other issues mentioned with BiaB; make the alternate solution work for everyone
I have posted countless SEQ files where RB handles odd time SO much better than BiaB .. yet here we are .. still hoping RB stops being the orphan

J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Rharv/All.…re RB (DAW).
(some thoughts.)

the biggest rb issue/most postsi ive seen is either new people dont take the time to read the instructions re setting up drivers/sound device in rb or just assume its done automatically…like turning a switch on a vacuam. as tho' rb should read their minds as to sound device/driver selection.

this is a CORE issue imho. (same in biab re settings). even competitive daws ive noticed the common question from new users on other daws forums is often setting up the daw viz selection of sound device // drivers.
many times they just dont read the set up instructions.

even in reaper I also use one must take time in getting the settings/sound device selection correct…otherwise problems will ensue for a user.

maybe i had an easier time setting up rb cos i came from powertraks.
imho rb is a daw like reaps is a daw. both having their strong and weak points.

people can say i'm a rb 'apologist//biased' so be it…throw eggs at moi…lol..
BUT i wonder how many explored the rb manual in detail and in their journey realised the trak generating POWER of right clicking over a rb trak that produces a looong menu of generation and other features.
imho the simple fact is understanding in detail how to use any daw on the market (and biab if one is using it.) is of prime importance.

a corollary..my wife is into crafts big time , but many people she has seen that would like
to get into crafts often dont want to put in the time to develope their skills.
(man ya gotta see what she does with 4 knitting needles…lol)
another corollary might be one must be willing to put in the time if one wants to play an instrumentnt.

even i dont understand every nuance of rb cos its very very deep…thats its strength imho, but for some people that depth seems to frustrate them i guess.
ive just developed my own methods using rb. it IS a daw imho. just a DIFFERENT DAW from others with features that make it unique…like biab is unique.

imho new users that easily dismiss rb are going to miss some neat features including
the 'right clik over trak' feature to generate traks etc etc.
simply put i dont know any other daw on the market includeing v expensive high end daws that offer the features found in the rb right clik over a trak menu.

best

om

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 09/06/22 04:01 PM.

Expert
Expert
My belief is PG Music is targeting new Band-in-a-Box features at the next generation of audio producers

I don't mean to sound overly negative but so far PGM has not demonstrated that they are in tune with "the next generation of audio producers" either musically (persistent emphasis on classic rock, country and jazz even in 2022) or technically (outdated, overly complex GUI, convoluted documentation, "50 new features" bloat).

I have to agree with that — but I don't think this is a bad thing. I believe that statement also applies to every loops package ever released. They're fine for hobbyists and their 11 followers on various platforms… Those artists who wish to be innovative will roll their own.

BIAB lets me do quickly tasks that would take many, many hours in a DAW but I never use it for original composition. Clients wanting custom vanity and karaoke tracks? BIAB absolutely rocks because I never have to reinvent the wheel—and they don't want me to. That's why I bought it in the first place. Thanks to the plug-in, I can get quite creative in Digital Performer without charging the arm and a leg that I'd have to if I began from scratch—what a great addition. Likewise, I can see it as a great performance tool even if I don't.

Most of my work does not happen in BIAB, though. It just can't and long droning posts from those who don't see it any other way cannot change that.

BIAB is but one tool in a large box for me and I'm fine with that.

BIAB 2023 Audiophile, 24/60 Core M2 Mac Studio Ultra/8TB/192GB Sonoma, M1 MBAir, 2012 MBP
P
P
I haven't really been on this forum but I figured this is probably a good topic for me to add my 2 cents too.

I think it is a great idea to add more features to BIAB that lean towards a DAW after all isn't BIAB a Digital Audio Workstation?

When asking the question "What is a Digital Audio Workstation (DAW)" on the internet you'll come up with a answer something like this.

"A digital audio workstation (DAW) is music production software that allows users to record and edit midi and audio on a personal computer."

I would think there are probably thousands of BIAB users out there that don't really want to purchase or learn another piece of software. And why should they? Each year BIAB gets better and better at doing what a DAW does and I for one am happy that they keep doing it.

Shorty

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: PShorty
I haven't really been on this forum but I figured this is probably a good topic for me to add my 2 cents too.

I think it is a great idea to add more features to BIAB that lean towards a DAW after all isn't BIAB a Digital Audio Workstation?

When asking the question "What is a Digital Audio Workstation (DAW)" on the internet you'll come up with a answer something like this.

"A digital audio workstation (DAW) is music production software that allows users to record and edit midi and audio on a personal computer."

I would think there are probably thousands of BIAB users out there that don't really want to purchase or learn another piece of software. And why should they? Each year BIAB gets better and better at doing what a DAW does and I for one am happy that they keep doing it.

Shorty

I see your point. However, currently, Real Band is lacking in features and convenience that other DAW's have and can handle quite well. For someone just getting started, and who has BB/RB, sure, it's a great option and will get the job done. BTW.... Cakewalk by Bandlab is giving away it's top of the line Sonar DAW and has been for years. It was the same one that many folks paid several hundred dollars for before it was taken over by Bandlab. So, cost isn't a factor in getting a top of the line DAW.

www.herbhartley.com

J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
BTW.... Cakewalk by Bandlab is giving away it's top of the line Sonar DAW and has been for years. It was the same one that many folks paid several hundred dollars for before it was taken over by Bandlab. So, cost isn't a factor in getting a top of the line DAW.

And Reaper is only like $60 with an unlimited free trial. Really GREAT DAW software is available at no cost! Why spend your limited learning time with a limited tool when far better tools are available for free and are as easy or easier to learn? Nothing beats BIAB for creating real tracks (yet)! But I hope they focus all new development on improving and fixing its core functionality and not on trying to become a DAW.

J
Veteran
Veteran
J
GH.
Re; Realband.(RB)

much as i admire and respect your musical talents , and bearing in mind there might be new potential users perusing these forums (my major concern) i feel i must offer a rejoinder …lol.

please right clik over a rb trak in traks view , and youll get a BIG LOOOONG menu appear. please show me another daw on the market (even the most expensive) that offer the multitude of trak generation features and other options that rb does in that menu and i'll get it.

even reaper (that I love for many other reasons) doesnt have these features. and i was a reaps user from nearly day 1 when it came out, and made many requests to the reaps devs.

yes rb is a bit of an 'ugly duckling' but under its hood is a lot of neat stuff i havent seen in any other daw.

again let me stress with greatest respect to your deep talents.

happiness/best

om

Veteran
Veteran
But I hope they focus all new development on improving and fixing its core functionality and not on trying to become a DAW.

I agree!

Expert
Expert
But I hope they focus all new development on improving and fixing its core functionality and not on trying to become a DAW.

I agree!

As do I.

All this talk about RealBand ignores the fact that it is Windows only. PGMusic decided that GarageBand made RealBand for the Mac redundant. GB exists only to sell Macs but its severe limitations make it fairly useless, IMO — fortunately, Logic opens the GB files my band members and clients send me and Digital Performer opens any audio I get from anywhere.

The last few years, RealBand has fallen behind the times. It needs a major update or PGM should move on. With the BIAB plugin working ok and decent, inexpensive DAWs readily available, that’s not the worst thing that can happen.

Quote:
And Reaper is only like $60 with an unlimited free trial. Really GREAT DAW software is available at no cost!

No it’s not. Great DAWs have the phone support and the back & forth communication that pros require, even Apple’s Logic Pro X (they don’t advertise that but it does).

I walk some of my clients through Reaper now and then which is as close as that gets but it’s pretty good cheapware at best. It does not compare with Digital Performer, Bitwig, ProTools, Logic, Cakewalk, Cubase and a few others. Costing $60 doesn’t mean a thing if it can’t do what users need but, if you like and are going to use it, pay the man his $60.

J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Originally Posted By: Mike Halloran

Quote:
Really GREAT DAW software is available at no cost!

No it’s not.

Yes, it is! smile One of the examples you gave is even free.

Expert
Expert
At the risk of this discussion degenerating even further. The fairly standard answer from many DAW providers is “update to the latest version”. Yes there are DAWs one can pay through the nose for and others that are cheap. Reaper for example has a user group and forums that provide unbelievable support. I’ve not ever felt the need to call anybody when using Reaper.

I prefer Reaper because it is often fairly simple to script and perform tasks that can be quite difficult on any of the other DAWs I have used.

Just this week I bought Cubasis 3 for the iPad. I will be in an area where I will not be able to use my main DAWs for a while so I thought I’d use Scaler 2 on the iPad (pretty much as a learning exercise). When I wanted to register on the Steinberg WEB site it could not accept my email address as it is not a standard address. I had to give them a Gmail jobie. Could not find where to get assistance. Doesn’t look all that good for Cubase which is “top of the line”.

Basically the best support I’ve found when needed is right here at PGmusic. Even then I find most of the answers I seek on these forums.

My thoughts

Tony

Last edited by Teunis; 09/08/22 10:16 PM.

Expert
Expert

Quote:

No it’s not.

No software is ever really free. Someone, somewhere, somehow, is paying for it.
Often it's the developers giving up their "spare time", sometimes it's sponsors, sometimes it's funded by donation.

Veteran
Veteran
Let's not forget that biab HAS a lot of old CODE/SCRIPT hangovers that need to be tied to make it a thoroughly stable program as it is and that the glued on additions to the annual upgrade need to be more thoroughly beta tested, yes, I know there're lots of beta testers at present but they don't manage to slow the Oct/Nov juggernaut r"roll out.
Reaper, Sonar et al are very stable even when there's a PILE of open source additions available & incorporated ...or perhaps that is why the open source stuff is so prolific. Pipeline has demonstrated many very successful, stable scripts that work around the instabilities and ancient problems while moving the prog forward & demonstrating that BIAB can do even more BUT the foundation needs to be stabilized.

Cheers
rayc
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
All.

sigh..i'm going to the trouble of posting this (like many of my posts) cos i KNOW there might be people new to recording and/or new to pg products reading posts.

and let me say , i speak from the 'heart' having used loads of gear over the years from 'super expensive big lad toys' down to the junkiest of junk gear.
(let me preface the following by saying i have lots of experience but only do daft songs for enjoyment i dont hold myself out as a super pro audio engineer.)

ive had these discussions with many "pros" over the years in a collegial fashion.
(and they were superb, seasoned AE's and taught me lots.)

so my opinions…

1..a newbie wanting to get into songs is told by some on a forum 'well the pro's use X' or 'your not a pro unless you use Y'. so little newbie trots off to the gear store and spends a ton of money or his/her inheritance from 'uncle fred' or whomever.
now said newbie feels 'comfortable'.
'man this is great ive got the same gear the pros use'. over the years on many recording forums ive seen the above play out.
of course once the newbie gains experience he/she realises that there is a lot more to the song biz.
and let me say many newbies have said to me over the
years 'i wish i had spoken to you first before blowing a wad of money on gear'.
the point is there is lots of marketing 'guff' when it comes to gear, and i contend if
reaper or realband or biab were the only products on the market a great like George Martin would still do great songs cos thats their FORTE'.

look what they used to do with 3 traks, hit song after hit song… and powertraks does 48 traks for a pittance. (so some new people think 'man it cant be any good' ' i gotta go spend lots more' etc etc ) cos then 'l'll be in the big leagues.)

2..i wonder how many people take the time to really dive into the reaper.fm features and manual (and the stash ). the same with realband features/manual here on pg.
from many questions ive seen on both forums i would suggest lots of people dont bother. thus they get frustrated. this stuff is not a fridge or toaster.

3..imho one can find fault with any app..BUT i challenge ANYONE to show me another daw that has the features and agility of reaper, ALSO i challenge anyone
to , in realband , right clik over a trak and see the VERY UNIQUE looong list of great generating and other options that rb affords as i said up thread.

in SUMMARY i often ponder how many have taken the time to 'plumb the depths of both reaps and rb…(and biab too.). YES there are flaws. but show me a music software that doesnt have flaws. per any daw user forum.

how many have plumbed the depths of reapers STASH ? how many have bothered to read the rb manual etc.
one has to do this, cos irrespective of app this biz aint 'trivial' in fact its 'blinkin complex' no matter what developers do in coding. and therein lies the true fact.

use what you want to do songs , my preferred solution is BIAB + REALBAND + REAPER. and proud of it…lol.

in closing i agree with Teunis (particulartly first para)...and Gordon (great comment) and i agree with Ray , pipeline is a superb talent with scripts etc..

happiness // peace to all.

om

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 09/09/22 03:19 AM.

Veteran
Veteran
As I have said in the past share your workflow and if it helps someone great, if not also great. But lets not argue over what is the best workflow. There is only one best workflow and that is the one that works for you.

B
Journeyman
Journeyman
B
...and i contend if
reaper or realband or biab were the only products on the market a great like George Martin would still do great songs cos thats their FORTE'.

look what they used to do with 3 traks, hit song after hit song… and powertraks does 48 traks for a pittance. (so some new people think 'man it cant be any good' ' i gotta go spend lots more' etc etc ) cos then 'l'll be in the big leagues.)

Yeah, well George Martin had Lennon/ McCartney and George Harrison writing those songs and John, Paul George and Ringo playing them. Not to mention Norman Smith and Geoff Emerick recording and mixing it all.

Byron Dickens

BIAB. CbB. Mixbus 32C 8 HP Envy. Intel core i7. 16GB RAM W10. Focusrite Scarlett 18i 20. Various instruments played with varying degrees of proficiency.

https://soundcloud.com/athanorsoundlabs
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
i contend if reaper or realband or biab were the only products on the market a great like George Martin would still do great songs cos thats their FORTE'.

look what they used to do with 3 traks, hit song after hit song…

Brilliant point!

I recall something I read where David Gilmour was asked about how he achieved his signature sound and he said something to the effect of he could walk into any guitar store, pick up any guitar and amp and sound like David Gilmour! On the flip side, I read about an engineer who said he was on staff in the studio where the Stones were recording and during a break he went into the room to give Keith's guitar a try! He was unsurprised to hear that his playing on that guitar did NOT sound like Keith Richards!

J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Byron.

RE..Martin n ' the lads.

good comment and' i can't disagree cos both my wife and i have worked in organisations where by 'chance' the right group of people got together to create something wonderful.
often with very few resources. just sheer guts n' hard work often '24/7' where everyone gets 'bleary eyed'.

maybe its the right alignment of the planets or my wife and i have often wondered if its 'fate' laughing at us all….lol.

let me add ive seen on various user forums user complaints about their music software they use daily. Problems are often setup of sound devices n' drivers etc tc. and often the fact people just wont study the manuals etc in an in depth fashion. just human nature.

with daws i think its cos there are sooo many features in each daw to absorb.

it just concerns moi that some people critiqueing a daw ..how much have they really delved into a reaper(look at the forum...hundreds of thousands of posts..so must be doing sumpin right !) or say a realband.
believe me if there was better i would use it.

Mario.

kudos and good comment. i always respect you and your highly creative songs.

John.

its just a crazy world lol. the KEY is to just have a great time.
there are many similar tales ive been told by AE's.

eg a band was so stoned in a session, the AE's had to fix
up the traks overnight etc. before next session.

best

om

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 09/09/22 09:33 AM.

Veteran
Veteran
Well, my hopes that this wouldn't turn into the Real Band Fan war game thread were dashed.
The same arguments, the same IMHOs, the same challenges, the same caveats, the same new users argument.

Almost all current DAWs are excellent, some are OS specific, some have greater prestige through price and others are "industry standard" for excellent or dubious reasons. WE have choices to make and being exposed to decent reviews and "testimonials" can help with that if you know & trust the source - rather like mix advice.

Going from BIAB to a DAW makes sense.
Going from BIAB to RB to a different DAW seems a little convoluted for me but if it works for you - do it.
Staying inside BIAB is certainly the preferred method for many posters in the User Showcase Forum...it's quick, easy and the desire to make things sound less generic or add some difference isn't prominent.

There are industry preferred ways of doing things - like NOT mixing with stuff on the stereo bus, NOT mastering from within the project etc. which we don't often discuss because we are amateurs/hobbyists who have our "way" of doing things and because of "work flow" preferences, or because it's easier or we don't hear a difference.

Few people are prepared to change their opinion on much. Convincing folk to use RB or another DAW is something needed early on in their experience...before habits and "work flow" are settled. Getting anyone to work only within BIAB as a DAW would require that it become as logical/intuitive/straight forward or has a manual that really covers everything CLEARLY. That would also need to be before they'd found VSTs they prefer to work with.

I'm please that so many folk are keen enough about audio recording &/or song writing to argue about these things but come the revolution/come the climate disaster/come decrepitude it won't even be dust.

And then there's the other "level" of (ab)user..."Great DAWs have the phone support and the back & forth communication that pros require..." The statement is full of self aggrandizement followed by "...but it’s pretty good cheapware at best." Ah, tool/[*****] comparison time standing on a rock being king of the pebble. I regret toggling ignore...ever wonder why no one engages with your comments?

Cheers
rayc
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Rayc.

let me say i wish everyone here only the very very best. and enjoyment of their music creation journey.

i think it fair to say we both agree that reaps is a fab daw//tool. right ?

where we might differ is realband (rb). fair ?

let me just mention one very 'tiny' feature of many why i like rb.
(lets remember rb is free.)

lets consider midi trak editing and moving small or large numbers of midi bars around.

i think it fair to say various people would use a piano roll or notation feature in a daw. fair ?
(i'm lousy at notation..lol.) and i think it fair to say many musos might find these features in a daw "fiddly'. certainly in my case and musos ive talked to in the past. fair ?

now rb (like powertraks) has a feature called 'BARS VIEW". which biab doesnt have,...
(which is why i posted a 'wish' re biab for this feature recently.)

now why ages ago did pg devs implement this feature ?
i dunno , all i know is i can do a bunch of neat things with it re midi bars, and save me fiddling with other options. i find it very useful.
am i being fair ?

there are many cute little features like this sprinkled through rb. and thus if someone doesnt read the rb manual or dismisses rb easily for whatever reason (maybe cos its free) or cos they read something on the net somewhere re rb thats a pity imho.
this one feature alone has saved me time over the years.

why do i defend rb , even if it doesnt have the 'fancy graphics' of other daws ?
cos it has many neat features like the example cited.
fair ?

please note YES i have probs with rb occasionally , hence i post a wish in the rb wishlist.
i ponder re people knocking rb have they gone thru the rb manual and given it a 'fair shake'.
i too found it a tad 'idiosyncratic' sometimes when i started with rb...but i persevered and found lots of neat stuff.

i hope you find above fair comment.

i defend rb only cos i'm worried pg might drop it, and thus i lose interesting features that help me in a song.

best//happiness.

om

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 09/09/22 03:01 PM.

Veteran
Veteran
Rayc.

let me say i wish everyone here only the very very best. and enjoyment of their music creation journey.
i think it fair to say we both agree that reaps is a fab daw//tool. right ?
where we might differ is realband (rb). fair ?
let me just mention one very 'tiny' feature of many why i like rb.
(lets remember rb is free.)
lets consider midi trak editing and moving small or large numbers of midi bars around.
i think it fair to say various people would use a piano roll or notation feature in a daw. fair ?
(i'm lousy at notation..lol.) and i think it fair to say many musos might find these features in a daw "fiddly'. certainly in my case and musos ive talked to in the past. fair ?
now rb (like powertraks) has a feature called 'BARS VIEW". which biab doesnt have,...
(which is why i posted a 'wish' re biab for this feature recently.)
now why ages ago did pg devs implement this feature ? i dunno , all i know is i can do a bunch of neat things with it re midi bars, and save me fiddling with other options. i find it very useful.
am i being fair ?
there are many cute little features like this sprinkled through rb. and thus if someone doesnt read the rb manual or dismisses rb easily for whatever reason (maybe cos its free) or cos they read something on the net somewhere re rb thats a pity imho.
this one feature alone has saved me time over the years.
why do i defend rb , even if it doesnt have the 'fancy graphics' of other daws ?
cos it has many neat features like the example cited.
fair ?
please note YES i have probs with rb occasionally , hence i post a wish in the rb wishlist.
i ponder re people knocking rb have they gone thru the rb manual and given it a 'fair shake'.
i too found it a tad 'idiosyncratic' sometimes when i started with rb...but i persevered and found lots of neat stuff.
i hope you find above fair comment.
i defend rb only cos i'm worried pg might drop it, and thus i lose interesting features that help me in a song.
best//happiness.
om

I don't know why you miss the point so frequently and completely.
Spruiking RB isn't the point of the thread, nor is defending its granularity.
I'm not going to try to convince folk about Reaper...anyone who has an unbiased perspective and gives it a crack, other than Mike, will know it's good.
I accept that you use & like RB, I accept that David milks it for what it can do for him & moves on, I accept that it doesn't work for me.
You haunt the wish lists with decent suggestions and you offer kind comments for song posters but, it seems to me, you get caught up in your own enthusiasm about double tracking and Realband. On the other hand I don't see you adopting any new suggestions about mixes or DAWs.
The flagellation of deceased equine discourse on RB could be saved until there's a newbie who'll benefit from a 1st DAW suggestion or a new feature that really makes the other DAWS merely equal.
You've good ears, experience to draw upon and share as well a generous turn of commentary phrase & I appreciate those.

Last edited by rayc; 09/10/22 02:17 AM.

Cheers
rayc
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Rayc.

this is my last post in this thread as i'm concerned about the direction this thread is taking..
instead of collegial debate focused on product.

My only objective ever is pg product longevity and improvement and success. whether biab or rb.

re you said…'I don't see you adopting any new suggestions about mixes etc'
if your commenting on users posted songs asking for comments...…
imho from my experience i feel this is the purview and expertise of pro mastering engineers. which i am not.

fwiw , given my time available , i will over time post various tips and tricks and topics related to my usage of RB (which other rb users can contribute to if they wish.)..in the hope that more new users realise the power of the rb product and its depth. ie tips like in my post in this thread , in that case the subject being the highly useful rb (and also powertraks)' bars view' imho which i suspect not a lot of people know about , particularly if rb has never been opened and is just sitting there on a person's pc.

i'm outta here.

best.

om

Expert
Expert

Quote:

No it’s not.

Uhhh... Earth to JohnJohnJohn, whoever the hell you are, none of the ones I mentioned are free.

What, do you mean the "Lite" versions given away with hardware?

Oh dear…

Quote:
BUT i challenge ANYONE to show me another daw that has the features and agility of reaper,

There you go again. You just don't know how wrong you are. When pros are under client deadlines, support boards and chat rooms aren't good enough and nothing you say changes that. When Time spent=$$$ wasted, we need answers and sometimes engineering solutions ASAP. That's why we pay what we do. For us, it's a business.

I have no problem with Reaper. Again, it's pretty good cheapware but that low price does come at a cost.

J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Uhhh... Earth to JohnJohnJohn, whoever the hell you are, none of the ones I mentioned are free.

Well, you're wrong! But I'll let you figure out which one it is. A pro like you should be able to figure it out pretty quickly! laugh

P
P
It seems funny to me that here we are in the PGMusic forum and all you guys want to talk about is other products.

I own Studio 1 Professional and Logix Pro X. I've owned and used in the past Abelton live, Cakewalk, CubeBase, Sonar, Reason and I have a Home Studio. I've played music since junior high school and I'll be 70 this year, guitar, keys, trumpet and harmonica. I have enough equipment to backline a whole band and then some and I hosted a open Jams at my 2.5 acer ranch every Friday night for 10+ years. sometimes as many as 70 to 100 people showing up. Some of my family members have been nominated for 6 Grammys. I may be a newbie to this forum but not to music so I feel I am qualified to speak on this.

I don't play professional and I don't want too. I love music and I still want to play but I simply can't like I use too. A DAW DOES NOT MAKE MUSIC. That is where BIAB comes in. I've owned BIAB since the early 2000's and have updated many times. I now have over 7000 styles to choose from, most with real musicians playing real instruments. Do you realize what it cost to higher one session player for a project? Let alone a whole band. Well I have over 300 of the best in the business sessions musicians at my beckon call. They don't come in late, get tired, get drunk or talk back. They play what ever progression I want them to and when ever I want them too not to mention royalty free.

Do you know what it takes to come up with 50 new features each and every year? I do, I have been developing software for a company called AllMasterSoftware for 25years now. I have to tell you the folks at PG Music have done a superb job. They have been developing AI software even before it was a thing.

I know that the UI is out dated, when you have been developing a piece of software as long as PG Music has with BIAB it is a big undertaking to rebuild a UI as complex as BIAB.

I love trying to tweak BIAB to come up with some interesting music. I don't think it will ever be a traditional DAW but that doesn't mean we can't hope for some features that a traditional DAW may have. After all why learn another piece of software if you can accomplish what you want to in one.

My three cents.
PShorty

Last edited by PShorty; 09/13/22 08:06 PM.
Expert
Expert
if you read my post 'what do BIAB and RB do differently' in this forum i think you'll see why people use a DAW when they have BIAB

Hello everyone!
I enjoyed reading this thread and want to chime in, even if I am no native speaker. I have been using PG Music Products since 1995 and still love using PTW 3.5e on Win XP, PTW 8.0d on Win 10 and BiaB 2005 on Win XP. I don't like PTW 2018, to my mind it lacks too much features these days.

I start recording a new idea in BiaB, adding backing tracks and laying down a rough midi file. I prefer the notation edit mode in the staff window over any matrix editor.
Then I export to PTW 8.0d which I enhanced with VST-Host "Xlutop Chainer" for using VST (Synths, FX, TapeIt). This combination is a very powerful DAW to my mind, I am using Midi data excessively for automation and mixing.

Greetings, Michael

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Look at my signature and you may notice my signature includes the software DAW Cakewalk by Bandlab, a Zoom MRS-8 hardware DAW and Band-in-a-Box. While I most do not use all these tools on every song project I find the project defines which tool has the features I need to efficiently perform different tasks.

Another thread in this Beginners forum section, +++ Can't Hear Instrument Plugin While Recording +++, highlights a major difference between recording in Band-in-a-Box versus in an audio editor, hardware or software DAW. The difference is you can hear what you're recording while you are recording in a most audio editors or a DAW while in Band-in-a-Box you can't hear what is recorded until playback.

Why do I bring that up here? Because the audio editor or DAW is the better solution when that feature is required regardless of the skill and knowledge level of the person asking the question.

Listening to what you record while you are recording is such a primal feature of most audio editors and DAWs that it is almost natural to assume the feature is embedded in all audio programs. However it is not a Band-in-a-Box feature. To perform the task in Band-in-a-Box requires workarounds and quickly becomes complicated.

Now, imagine IF PG Music adds a listen while you record feature. Imagine a new user asks in the forum or one of the Facebook groups how to use the listen to the track while recording feature. I would almost bet that even though a DAW is not mentioned that multiple people would respond, "Take it to a DAW"! I'm reasonably sure that would happen even when a new user hasn't provided much information about their audio production skills or knowledge.

Newcomers may, or may not, have audio production experience which helps in understanding DAWs, signal chains, effects and recording techniques. They may, or may not, have live sound experience which helps in understanding how a mixer works. They may, or may not, know music theory or notation. What we do know they have is an interest in music and have expressed a desire to know more about Band-in-a-Box.

I want to help these people understand Band-in-a-Box features and help them to utilize these features as much as they desire. If they ask about Band-in-Box my response will be about Band-in-a-Box. When the question is open ended and BiaB is not the best tool I state why another tool works better.

The Band-in-a-Box Audio Editor, Utility Tracks, Microchords and Playable RealTracks have greatly enhanced how things can be done in Band-in-a-Box. A DAW will almost always be the best answer for those with prior DAW experience but it may not be for the person asking the question.

But I hope the "take it to a DAW" response will not continue to be so automatic when the question is about Band-in-a-Box. I hope respondents will take the time to investigate and become familiar enough with the Band-in-a-Box enhancements to promote the enhancements when appropriate.

For example, the Band-in-a-Box Audio Editor cut and paste features are as simple to use as the cut and paste features in most DAWs and standalone audio editors. But only if you are familiar enough with the steps-to-perform-the-task in Band-in-a-Box as you are with performing the same steps in your DAW. You likely will not change your workflow to use the cut and paste features in Band-in-a-Box because of your familiarity and experience using cut and paste inside your DAW. But for someone with no cut and paste experience that owns Band-in-a-Box why tell them to take it to a DAW?

This has been an interesting and enlightening discussion with some provoking thoughts expressed. I'm glad I asked the question. I hope everyone responding or reading feel the same.

Veteran
Veteran
Jim, with those closing remarks you can now mark this thread "RESOLVED" grin

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Veteran
Veteran
That was perfect Jim.

I'm glad that you did ask that question.

The bottom line IMHO is that there are many different ways to use BiaB so use the workflow that works for you but don't criticize someone who doesn't use your workflow.

J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Originally Posted By: MusicStudent
Jim, with those closing remarks you can now mark this thread "RESOLVED" grin

+1

grin

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
grin Resolved grin

Veteran
Veteran
Rayc.
re you said…'I don't see you adopting any new suggestions about mixes etc'
if your commenting on users posted songs asking for comments...…
imho from my experience i feel this is the purview and expertise of pro mastering engineers. which i am not.
Well,
you're consistent & reliable.
You consistently misread, fail to comprehend or miss the point
Added to that you reliably back yourself to the exclusion of anything that doesn't reinforce your position.
Onya.

Cheers
rayc
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Rayc.

this thread is resolved, however your comment to me compels me to defend myself as follows…

1..per forum rules it's my understanding these forums are for discussion of pg products and gear in general in a friendly cordial fashion.

2..further it's my understanding these forums also are for users trying to help existing and new users (which ive done many many times over the years here.)
further…

3..according to forum rules it is my understanding these forums are not for analysis or comment on another users character traits or personality.

Ray we all are different with many differing opinions on topics. and thats fine.

i will not be replying to you further as I find your personal comments concerning,

thank you.

om

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 09/17/22 04:15 AM.

Veteran
Veteran
Ah, the easy way out.

RESOLVED implies a solution to a problem, or answer to a question, has been found to the O.P.'s satisfaction.
You may infer otherwise but that is a matter of your own reading, comprehension and focus.
RESOLVED may be used otherwise - to close a topic perhaps - but that isn't a logical nor functional use.

Cordial doesn't cover endless, tedious regurgitation.

My comments may be a cause for concern. I can & will accept that.
I have, however, tried to help you understand.

PLEASE click the ignore button and allow me to recede into your past: further even.

For my part I usually ignore your posts but when I see someone expressing their frustration with your posts I do take a peek. I am always happy to read new, interesting, entertaining or education posts & respond.

Cheers
rayc
A
A
Why Use A DAW When There Is Band-in-a-Box?

Why drive or ride in a car when there are bicycles?

Seriously!?

Expert
Expert
I think you didn't read the original post.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,624
Posts735,212
Members38,521
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Bpnsrinu, DanyLevy, Arnav Singh, vasilich, maxrob61
38,520 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 185