Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Songwriting
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
[ disclaimer: I have only a very basic knowledge on music theory and notation ]

So I have a song which starts with the chord progressions: Bb F Ab D# followed by F# C# B C# (later on F# C# D#m B)

This works nicely despite the key change.

Now at one point in the song I want to go back to the first key and can't find a way which sounds somehow acceptable.
Preferably would be a short solution, but I could also insert 4 bars or so if that's what it needs.

And tips or pointers to solutions are highly appreciated. If there's no (somehow easy) solution I'd also be happy to hear that so I can stop searching...

Making bits and bytes sound good...

Goldmania Bella - A One-Man Girlband with no fans
Listen on Spotify
Watch on YouTube
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
B.D. there are a number of ways to get back to the Bb. Since you didn't mention of you were coming from a B or a C# chord I'll take a stab at both , the dash mean to, i.e. B-Bb means a B chord to a Bb chord:

B - Bb
B - Eb7 - Bb
B - Ebm - Bb
B - C (EITHER MAJOR OR MINOR) - F7 - Bb

C# - ANY OF THE ABOVE CHORD PROGRESSIONS
C# - C - B - Bb
C# - F# - F7 - Bb

These were just of off the top of my head. As you can see there are a number of ways to modulate to another chord progression. What that transition is depends on what type of song you are writing and most importantly what sounds good to you.

I hope this helps.

Note that I purposely stayed away from jazz chords. I passed this on your chord progressions.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
I read the first 4 bars as Key of Bb
The next 8 bars are Key of Db (including some major/minor substitutions)

A simple progression to take you from Db back to Bb is [G#m C#, D# F]
Try it and see what you think. Actually Scalers first suggestion out of a number of alternatives. Notice IV - V - I at the turnaround.

Edit. Opps this picture shows an interium variation I made in the voicing of the C# chord to 1st inversion. In the final version which is recorded I put it back to C# in the base, but raised the chord an octave. I was just messing with it. grin

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Capture.JPG (32.32 KB, 185 downloads)

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Songwriting
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Originally Posted By: MarioD
B.D. there are a number of ways to get back to the Bb. Since you didn't mention of you were coming from a B or a C# chord I'll take a stab at both , the dash mean to, i.e. B-Bb means a B chord to a Bb chord:

B - Bb
B - Eb7 - Bb
B - Ebm - Bb
B - C (EITHER MAJOR OR MINOR) - F7 - Bb

C# - ANY OF THE ABOVE CHORD PROGRESSIONS
C# - C - B - Bb
C# - F# - F7 - Bb

Thanks a lot for your time to help me Marion, it's highly appreciated.
I've tried your suggestions, but while they did not sounded wrong they also didn't sound completely right in the context of the song.
But I have at least more ideas where to go.

Originally Posted By: MarioD
Note that I purposely stayed away from jazz chords. I passed this on your chord progressions.

Good choice, with jazz chords I'd be most probably completely lost blush

Listen on Spotify
Watch on YouTube
Songwriting
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Originally Posted By: MusicStudent
I read the first 4 bars as Key of Bb
The next 8 bars are Key of Db (including some major/minor substitutions)

A simple progression to take you from Db back to Bb is [G#m C#, D# F]
Try it and see what you think.

Thanks a lot for your time, Dan. I appreciate that you even put up an example.
Going back via "G#m C# D# F" indeed works. I'm not 100% happy with the D#, but I guess I'll find a way to adjust this to my liking.
I had already tried "C# D#m F", but the G#m is actually the important part that I didn't find.
Very good!

Actually Scalers first suggestion out of a number of alternatives.

Is "Scaler" a software to find solutions for problems like this?

Listen on Spotify
Watch on YouTube
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: B.D.Thomas

You bet it is. grin

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran

You bet it is. grin

It is also a very deep program with a big learning curve. Fortunately there are a ton of videos to view.

It is a great way to audition chords and leads to bring into BiaB. Scaler, Instant Chord, and BiaB are my main three programs for composition prior to going to my DAW.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
I had already tried "C# D#m F", but the G#m is actually the important part that I didn't find. Very good!

The G# or Ab, is the V chord between the two keys so it is the steping off chord in the modulation. Add to that the major and minor substitution is a common path. This pic from Scaler may help. The assignment of the chord postion in the scale is based on the root note (look for the I chord)

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Capture.JPG (34.91 KB, 176 downloads)

Songwriting
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
The G# or Ab, is the V chord between the two keys so it is the steping off chord in the modulation. Add to that the major and minor substitution is a common path. This pic from Scaler may help. The assignment of the chord postion in the scale is based on the root note (look for the I chord)

I think I got this, thanks for the explanation. Still a lot to learn for me...

BTW, for a "MusicStudent" you know your stuff quite well grin

Listen on Spotify
Watch on YouTube
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Still a lot to learn for me...

Me too!

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
One thing I have used to modulate is to use the 5th of the new key at the transition point. Actually just before the transition. It's simple but it works.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
OR just do the chromatic walk between. It will provide a different sort of motion that can be interesting.
The other option is to use an instrument that allows slides and have it slide to the newie.

Last edited by rayc; 08/29/22 02:04 PM.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
Songwriting
Expert
Expert
I played around for a while with the progression, which is a nice progression BTW, but found it difficult to decide what the starting key really, so I had difficulty getting a convincing resolve.

I respelled the chords in consistent keys, swapping sharps to their equivalent flats, so bear with the following.

In the first four bars, the Bb, F and Eb suggest a key of Bb Maj, but the addition of the Ab suggests Eb Maj, however in that case one would expect the F to be Fm. Nothing wrong with that, but my mind is unsure where it's going.

The second four bars: Gb Db B Db suggests that it's modulated to Db, but again B major is not in the key, so again my brain is trying to work out where we're going. Again, nothing wrong with that.

The third four bars Gb, Db, Ebm, B also suggests Db and here the Ebm is the two-minor of the scale, probably reinforcing that.

In some respects, the progression is almost designed to unsettle things; it's actually working around the circle of fifths ... that what makes it interesting, but it leaves us unsure where to go next.

My temptation would be to precede the progression with a short intro that firmly established the starting key, so you know where to aim back, then I think it will resolve more confidently.

Jazz relative beginner, starting at a much older age than was helpful.
Kawai MP6, Korg M50, Ui24R, Saffire Pro 40.
AVL:MXE Linux; Windows 11; Win8.1: Scarletts
BIAB2022 UltraPAK, Reaper, a bunch of stuff.
Songwriting
C
Veteran
Veteran
C

You bet it is. grin

BIAB also has a solution for problems like this.

With a quick setup, the Song Form Medley Maker creates a Chord Sheet with BIAB generated Transitions that's similar in concept to the familiar Generate Chords for Intro feature. Thus, transitions can be regenerated repeatedly until a satisfactory sound is found.

The Medley Maker also allows the order of chord progression sections of the various keys to be rearranged for more possible transition possibilities. Other settings that can be changed includes the style, tempo, key, start bar, # of bars and the number of transition bars.

From the BIAB Help file: (The) "transition bars are automatic generated bars of chords inserted by BIAB to transition from one song to the other, generating an "outro" and "intro" between songs."

The setup involves saving each chord progression section of the song as its own distinct SGU file to be used to create a medley with transitions. In my example image below, I broke up the original Chord Chart into 3 sections.

Then, in the Song Form Medley Maker, each section can be appended to the Medley in any order desired, a transition from 0-16 bars can be designated between the sections and a custom SGU Chord Chart created to play the medley as a single song.

Note the title in the attached image adjusts the Song Title to reflect the order and unique name of the saved sections.

Original_SGU_Chart1.jpg (450.58 KB, 114 downloads)
The Original SGU Chart
Medley_Maker_SGU_Chart1.jpg (422.88 KB, 114 downloads)
The Medley Maker generated SGU Chart
Last edited by Charlie Fogle; 08/30/22 07:48 AM. Reason: Updates added

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle

You bet it is. grin

Nicely done Charlie...BIAB has LOTS of clever stuff that isn't frequently used by straight in & out folk like me.
Good little piece of problem solving!

Last edited by rayc; 08/30/22 05:48 PM.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
Songwriting
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Yes it does. Thanks for replying.

Charlie

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Songwriting
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Originally Posted By: Gordon Scott
I played around for a while with the progression, which is a nice progression BTW

Yep, that's the reason I couldn't let it go crazy

Originally Posted By: Gordon Scott

In some respects, the progression is almost designed to unsettle things; it's actually working around the circle of fifths ... that what makes it interesting, but it leaves us unsure where to go next.

My temptation would be to precede the progression with a short intro that firmly established the starting key, so you know where to aim back, then I think it will resolve more confidently.

I think that's a good idea. The first 4 chords were actually the intro, but why not write an intro to the intro?
Thanks a lot for your time and detailed analysis, I really appreciate it smile

Listen on Spotify
Watch on YouTube
Songwriting
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle

"The more I know (about BIAB), the more I realize I know nothing."

Thank you Charlie for this information!

Listen on Spotify
Watch on YouTube
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Becareful about 'correcting" that sequence to achive better resolution. The only thing you may accomplish, is that this will then sound like countless other progressions.

Songwriting
Journeyman
Journeyman
Any hint to The Medley Maker when you use BIAB for Mac?

MacMini M1 - BIAB2021 - Logic Pro X - iZotope Music Production Suite - Scaler 2 - far too many Waves plugins and Line 6 Guitars and boards + a fantastic Yamaha THR10ll mini Amp - Avid MBOX Studio

Peters' Garage is available on all major streaming services
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,394
Posts732,485
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195