Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Off-Topic
J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
Topic..Making a 'smidgeon' from ones songs.
(maybe new songwriters might find this thread interesting.)

on this topic does anyone here have any advice for making a 'smidgeon' of money from streaming/ ones songs on the net ? let me explain my situation and objectives….

i'm not asking for much, just enough to get some recording toys i would like.
each year…eg this year…these two.

https://pcaudiolabs.com/rok-box-daw-pro-audio-computers/

and maybe…

https://line6.com/helix/

or a kemper for example.

even 1k to 2k a year would be nice…to sate my 'gear lust' lol...but it seems a lot of musos are lucky
to make 100 buckys a year sadly.
ive got most other gear needed.

At the same time my wife and i value our private life. let me explain…
by happenstance//flukes//my travels thru' the music industry ive met a couple of well
known artists who shared with me the plusses and minuses of the music biz.
these people were very kind to me, and shared their thoughts.
particularly re the aspect /impacts on their 'private life'.

thus ive always wanted to just enjoy my addiction to song creation and never had the desire for more.
but a smidgeon of song income each year would be nice cos i'm one of the overtaxed middle class....lol.

Any advice on how to make a 'pittance' would be v nice.

i would also be curious if other pg users are making some decent bucks without impacting their private life. eg if your making a few k each year from your songs…does it severely impact your private life with the effort needed ?
cos my 'thing' is doing songs and i have no intertest in doing much else in the music biz.

thanks in advance for offering any advice.

happiness to all.

om

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 09/04/22 03:49 AM.

New Song "PRETTY GIRL" for my wife...Dec 2023
(my vocs....mixed for good earbuds.)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs/prettygirlrbfinalcalfsongsdec2023mp3
(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
If you find a way to make recurring income with little effort PLEASE let me know

Everyone else I know puts in a lot of effort
though I agree, fame is not for the faint of heart
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPX6JPHRmBA
or
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCIVBqVAZ-E

I think that may be Lenny Pickett in one and Adrian Belew in the other .. making a pittance after all those hours on tour

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
On YouTube to qualify as a partner and thus earn anything you need to (per their statement) "be in good standing with YouTube, have 4,000 valid public watch hours in the previous 12 months, and at least 1,000 subscribers." That's quite a hurdle before you can earn a penny.

Joanne Cooper who has been quite active on the forums here over the years uses her talent, determination and BiaB to get literally millions of plays on YouTube and has over 75,000 followers. And she has a great business model. No doubt her income is significant.

On the major streaming platforms, e.g., Spotify, you will, depending on various circumstances, earn $2-4 per 1,000 plays.

For both of the above you need to be very skilled at promotion. There are a zillion suggestions on how to do that. I am way, way too lazy.

Then there are the sync libraries where you can earn a few bucks or hit the big time depending on the placement. We have had some monetary success with Songtradr FWIW.

Bud

Off-Topic
J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
JnB(4T).

thanks for the info. much appreciated.
ie info from people who have got some reward for their efforts.

i'm not sure i want to go on you tube.i value being unknown based on my discussions with 2 well known artists in the past. also sooo many people on you tube.

i'm also not greedy. just wanna make enough to feed my gear lust once a year. lol.

in addition i'm trying to figure out why a few people do really well streaming
(ie the 1 percent) vs the 99 percent that dont. ie what are the 1 percent doing right ?
bcos at some point the 1 percent were of course unknown….so what did they do right ? versus everybody else.

let me say i'm not lazy and have worked v hard in my life, and i'm not expecting much.
its just i prefer creating songs rather than doing tons of marketing.

kudos to your talents and happiness.

om

ps rharv thanks for the links. great stuff.
always liked Bowie.

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 09/04/22 12:57 PM.

(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
My advice would be to find a way to help other musicians meet their goals. My life and business took a positive turn when I made that decision.

It has also, as Bud says, taken years of hard work and determination to get to over 100 million views on YouTube.

LyricLab A.I assisted chords and lyric app. Export lyrics and import directly into Band-in-a-Box 2024.
https://lyriclab.net
Play-along with songs you know and love, download SGU files
https://playiit.com/
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: justanoldmuso
JnB(4T).

thanks for the info. much appreciated.
ie info from people who have got some reward for their efforts.

i'm not sure i want to go on you tube.i value being unknown based on my discussions with 2 well known artists in the past. also sooo many people on you tube.

i'm also not greedy. just wanna make enough to feed my gear lust once a year. lol.

in addition i'm trying to figure out why a few people do really well streaming
(ie the 1 percent) vs the 99 percent that dont. ie what are the 1 percent doing right ?
bcos at some point the 1 percent were of course unknown….so what did they do right ? versus everybody else.

let me say i'm not lazy and have worked v hard in my life, and i'm not expecting much.
its just i prefer creating songs rather than doing tons of marketing.

kudos to your talents and happiness.

om

ps rharv thanks for the links. great stuff.
always liked Bowie.

Firstly, thanks for the compliment.

IMHO with few exceptions (and obviously) you have to produce music in genres that are mostly likely to attract the largest streaming audiences if the number of streams is your goal. We played in traditional bluegrass bands for years, charted an album and sold a decent number of CD’s mainly because our music partner was Grammy nominated. smile All proceeds were donated to charity.

Years later after discovering BiaB we moved to blues and Americana - a couple more popular genres smile Our “success” with them via mostly Songtradr has been financially much much less than that one CD. But those CD days are not a viable option.

Songtradr allows you to upload an unlimited number of songs while most of the other sync libraries have to approve your submissions and they approve a very small percentage. There’s not much to lose other than time to upload. One serious film or tv placement would be worth a zillion streams. Low probability but …

We have ZERO interest in creating ANY music that is not close to our hearts. So for us it’s done 100% for the joy of it. This does not imply that we don’t understand and support the interests of those who seek an income from music in today’s environment.

Now if we could earn decent $ from producing the music we love that would of course be wonderful. But as mentioned our style of music ain’t gonna do that!

Oh, and I’m an old guy entrenched in my “ways!”

Bud

Off-Topic
J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
JnB(4T).

great info. big thanks.

i'm exactly the same...i do songs cos of the 'joy', and if could make a 'pittance' lol to buy a bit of gear here or there its a 'bonus'.

best/happiness.

om

Off-Topic
B
Journeyman
Journeyman
B
It takes money to make money.

Byron Dickens

BIAB. CbB. Mixbus 32C 8 HP Envy. Intel core i7. 16GB RAM W10. Focusrite Scarlett 18i 20. Various instruments played with varying degrees of proficiency.

https://soundcloud.com/athanorsoundlabs
Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Happy
Veteran
One idea is to advertise your services on the +++ fiverr +++ website. Essentially you will be doing piecemeal work. The site has listings for everything from voice overs to mixing, mastering, session musician, editing, vocal tuning. Look the site over, find a task you enjoy doing, write your advertisement and wait.

Some examples. Forum member Joanne Cooper learned to use Melodyne pitch correction software and listed that skill under vocal correction. Another person advertises custom happy birthday songs.

A second idea is to set up an account on +++ Patreon +++. Place a few examples of your music and tell people they can support your music and become a "sustaining member" by pledging a small amount of money each month. If you get 10 sustaining members and each pledges 10 Euros/pounds/dollars a month that is an extra 100 (whatever) a month.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Byron Dickens

It takes effort
That has been what always worked for me, tho YMMV

Off-Topic
B
Journeyman
Journeyman
B
Originally Posted By: rharv

It takes effort

That's what I just said.

Byron Dickens

BIAB. CbB. Mixbus 32C 8 HP Envy. Intel core i7. 16GB RAM W10. Focusrite Scarlett 18i 20. Various instruments played with varying degrees of proficiency.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Well, I guess it does come back around
second verse same as the first <grin>

Off-Topic
B
Journeyman
Journeyman
B
If you want to make money off your music, you have to promote it. Promotion takes work. A lot of work.

Miracles do happen. But most of the time people make their own.

Byron Dickens

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I have said this for years
We would go the local radio station with coffee/donuts and our CD ... buy 30 seconds of commercial time, then move on to the next one the next day
before you knew it we would hear ourselves on local radio stations .. then have a waiting line to shows

"Promotion takes work. A lot of work." .. and a bit of investment, but if you believe in it, just do it instead of wondering.
I'm too old for any of it now (fame would probably kill me), but still good advice IMO

Off-Topic
J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
well if it's so difficult to make a pittance out of creating songs, and as in a previous life i was in a team designing a stock trading system…maybe i should sell my recording rig and take up day trading in stocks…lmao. fiverr and songtradr lrook interesting tho'.

i have a serious question…have people here tried commercial radio stations for some radio plays ie getting some interest from commercial radio re their originals ??
reason i ask is the current streaming paradigm doesnt seem to be resulting in much income for lots of gifted musicians from my look at things..
best
om

ps rharv just saw your 'too old etc..' line.
yep thats me too...lol.

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 09/05/22 02:50 PM.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Happy
Veteran
Justanoldmuso,

In the US most radio stations are owned by large media powerhouses. Each media powerhouse has a corporate programmer that sets the corporate song list for each genre. Deviating from the corporate song list would be a firing offense but the song list is frozen anyhow to make sure. Four or five sister stations likely share a common announcer. Morning and/or evening drive time is about the only time a station will have one or more live announcers.

Independent radio stations are a dying breed.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: rharv

It takes effort

I would concur. It also takes doing things that you don’t want to do. The days of making songs and releasing them and making money are gone. In fact I doubt whether those days ever existed. just my opinion.

LyricLab A.I assisted chords and lyric app. Export lyrics and import directly into Band-in-a-Box 2024.
https://lyriclab.net
Play-along with songs you know and love, download SGU files
https://playiit.com/
Off-Topic
B
Journeyman
Journeyman
B
Originally Posted By: justanoldmuso

i have a serious question…have people here tried commercial radio stations for some radio plays ie getting some interest from commercial radio re their originals ??
reason i ask is the current streaming paradigm doesnt seem to be resulting in much income for lots of gifted musicians from my look at things..
best
om

ps rharv just saw your 'too old etc..' line.
yep thats me too...lol.

I'm betting no one here has an extra $50,000 or more laying around to do that.

Byron Dickens

Off-Topic
Apprentice
Apprentice
I agree with Jim Fogle on Fiverr as well as what Joanne does. There is probably more money to be made helping other musicians by selling your services to them. Akin to the Gold Rush - The people that made the most money were those who sold equipment/services to the miners. There are also services on Fiverr that promote music. Not sure how successful they are.
I make about two to three thousand dollars a year on Fiverr and that is with little promotion on my part. Not a fortune, but it provides enough for equipment/software upgrades and more.

Off-Topic
J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J

it seems to me the major strategic question is ….how does society CONNECT the consumers of music to the creators of music whereby the musicians make 'some money'....and everybody is happy.
(i know some people will laugh at me ..but i pray every day for a very happy world.)

It seems to me that there is a big disconnect between consumers of music and creators of music, and i think it's obvious that many consumers of music arent willing to spend time going thru' sites where unknown or new artists post their songs. thus imho both the consumer and the creator lose.
given above also i wonder who is gonna pay for gear in the future.

in the past of course commercial radio stations were the conduit for introducing new artists/songs.
thats how lots of people, and myself included found out about new artists.

Personally, I'm not on any user music production/recording forums other than pg here.
fwiw…one reason i stay here is i really like the way people try to help each other and new users.
as well as the exchange of ideas and support.
frankly i wouldnt be here if it devolved to be like some sites with arguments and umbrage etc etc.

but it troubles me (and assuming my crazy songs are baaaad..lol) that lots of my fellow v talented musos ive heard in the user showcase arent exposed more to the wider world of music consumers.

that fiverr DOES look ionteresting.
IF i could earn that Melvin...i would be way more than happy...cos good or bad my 'thing' is...
'the joy creating a song gives me'.
ive created songs with everything from total junk gear up to major studios...and all of it ive enjoyed.

happiness to all.
om

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
About the only real way to make anything measurable from one's music is to be a gigging musician and sell CD's at your shows. I used to gig for a living and also handled the merch at the shows. Many nights I made more money (profit) from T-shirts, photos, and buttons than I did from the gig itself. Back then we didn't have the convenience of recording studios in our computers..... there were no computers. Tape machines were it and that wasn't a feasible way to do it.

The online streaming services are worthless to most musicians when it comes to producing income.

Placing your music into libraries and with publishers to get commercial cuts, whether in a TV show or film or into the hands of an artist and onto their new musical project can be moderately successful. Getting a major cut is, again, not very likely.

Like a few others here, I have had some perodic success with TV/Film placements but nothing that would come close to paying the bills. AT best it's a night out at McDonalds when the BMI check arrives and it's taxable income so that spendable amount is a third less than the check is written for... in other words.... no dessert.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 09/06/22 01:21 PM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
Gigging.

biab2023(Mac)
Logic Pro X
Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
Originally Posted By: TLMelvin
I agree with Jim Fogle on Fiverr as well as what Joanne does. There is probably more money to be made helping other musicians by selling your services to them. Akin to the Gold Rush - The people that made the most money were those who sold equipment/services to the miners. There are also services on Fiverr that promote music. Not sure how successful they are.
I make about two to three thousand dollars a year on Fiverr and that is with little promotion on my part. Not a fortune, but it provides enough for equipment/software upgrades and more.

Selling pickaxes and boots. The days of radio play for most anyone not a classic rock performer, new country or new pop, rap, hip hop are over. The money is in streaming, YouTube, etc. But you have to work very hard at it, build it over time, unless you have Universal or Warner Brothers behind you. I have some stuff signed with a couple of publishers for TV and Movie use. I make about 36 bucks a quarter from that!!! If only they could get my songs on a network TV series every week for a year, then I could almost cover what it cost me for all my junk used to make that music!!

My wife asked if I had seen the dog bowl. I told her I didn't even know he could.
Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
There is money to be made gigging and selling your music there at the gig as has been stated. You can make a decent living if you dedicate yourself to it. That also requires plenty of time and hard work and promotion. Depending on where you are of course. Here in Florida along a coast, there are ample opportunities to play in the many bars and restaurants that cater to tourists and tips can be quite good as well as actually getting paid by the venue.

None of it is easy.

My wife asked if I had seen the dog bowl. I told her I didn't even know he could.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,578
Posts734,647
Members38,499
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai
38,499 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 194