Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
#731080 09/10/22 03:36 AM
Beginners Forum
R
OP Offline
R
I'm fairly new to BIAB (Mac) and not sure if this is the proper forum but I have a question about choosing styles. For instance, I have the Ultra Pak and when I search for a song in the style picker ("Silver Wings", Haggard), it shows the song in the top right window but the matching style it gives me is nothing like the song at all and is in fact some blues style. I tried scrolling through the options under the Country genre but the choices are overwhelming. Is there a better way to do this?

Beginners Forum
Journeyman
Journeyman
Welcome to the forum! PG Music does have a video tutorial about using the style picker under their support videos (https://www.pgmusic.com/videos.bbwin.htm). Unfortunately, it is several years old and was made with the Windows version of BIAB, but it should give you some ideas about using the style picker. The style suggested for a given song is often not terribly similar to a recorded version of a song, and it often does come down to sampling through styles until you find something you're happy with.

Macbook Pro 2018
2.6 GHz 6-core Intel Core i7, 16 GB RAM
OS Monterey
BIAB for Mac 2022
Beginners Forum
C
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
C
The most efficient and effective method I know of to find an accurate and suitable style for any song when using the StylePicker is to first open or import a MIDI file of the song.

Forum member Henry Clarke has released several excellent, easy to understand video tutorials demonstrating his techniques to use MIDI to automatically capture the "in the style of a song, the groove of the bass/drums, analyze the chords, and capture the melody if the file includes it. Stated earlier, BIAB has video tutorials. A third party company, Groove 3 has tutorials and Forum member Notes Norton has a Web site that specializes in professional grade MIDI Styles for BIAB that can be added into the StylePicker.

Any MIDI file loads the song title, melody, tempo, feel, time signature, BPM and the number of bars of the MIDI song. It also analyzes the Chords and populates the Chord Sheet. A Norton BIAB style will also set a Style from the BIAB StylePicker that may be sufficient for your song and his Style packages include a demo of each Style.

For instance, if you use a Norton third party style composed 'in the style of' Merle Haggard's "Silver Wings", The style may have a Pre-loaded BIAB StylePicker Style loaded to play the included demo of "Silver Wings" less a melody line. A Norton style 'in the style of' "Okie from Muskogee" may populate your BIAB Chord Sheet with a demo of "Okie from Muskogee". Understand using a MIDI file or a MIDI BIAB Style can be used for any song, not only the song being used to set the parameters for the "in the style" you're trying to capture.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Beginners Forum
H
Journeyman
Journeyman
H
I also have a technique that I use when I do not have a MIDI file. I find it absolute important to type in the chords first and then demo the chord pattern against the styles that the stylepicker says should work. Here's my tutorial. Hopefully it helps. It's worked wonders for me. I will say that nothing is going to give you an exact copy but that's not really the purpose. You want to capture the feel of the song you're trying to copy.

https://youtu.be/xWL_owkQgqU

Beginners Forum
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
To clarify on what the familiar Song Title feature is doing, it is using the song you enter to set the filters on the top left hand side of the Style Picker. This way you do not have to go through each one of them yourselves. Therefore, the resultant list is not meant to be a replica of the exact song you had entered and it just shows all of the Styles you have that match the same genre, tempo, feel etc. of the song.

Best,
Chantelle
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
I'd also like to point this out.

Many years ago, when BiaB was in its infancy and toddler stages, both PG Music and myself (Norton Music) picked styles for songs that weren't right, but were as close as what was available at the time.

The style picker might pick one of those styles. As time passed and thousands of styles were added, there might be much better styles to use for that particular song.

Plus, in the early days, before YouTube and other Internet resources, we relied on our memories for the song, which may or may not have been accurate, or may be from a different version of the song that lingered in our minds.

Right now, Mrs. Notes and I are going through our old Fake Disk #2 and choosing new styles for many of the songs. This disk was compiled before the Internet was popular, so there are many even better styles to choose from now.

When we get done, we'll make an announcement and send out e-mails. It will be a free upgrade to people who purchased this disk.

Notes ♫

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,402
Posts732,578
Members38,444
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Descoward, danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J
38,443 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200