Go To
Beginners Forum
A
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
A
Hi;

I wrote a simple song with a style and added a track of singing.
Initially I had no intro.

Now that the song is finished I want to add in an intro. When I do either: insert bars, or Song Form/Intro Bars, the intro bars are added but the singing part doesn't stay locked to the original bars.

So, in this case, I originally start singing at bar 1. Then I insert 4 bars before bar 1 as an intro. I regenerate. The singing still starts at bar 1 and not bar 5, where it should have stayed locked to its companion chords.

What am I missing?

Thanks!

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Your vocal track is an audio file, with its own start and stop. I simply starts playing when BIAB starts.
That is how BIAB records audio which results in exactly what you have described.

I am pretty sure someone will come along shortly and tell you how you can load the vocal track into BIAB so that it can be adjusted to start at a later bar but it will have to be put on a Utility track or a performance track and then you will have to edit it in Audio editor. Which is why most just use their DAW. Good Luck.

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Beginners Forum
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
A girl.

i normally dont do vocs in bb.

but heres a couple things to try.
after inserting intro bars...

1. solo voc trak and save as wav.
2. now reimport wav to the correct position in the song via the dialog that pops up...(of course muting original voc trak or you could overwrite i guess but thats dodgy.)...OR
3. useing the built in audio editor in bb relocate start
position/move your original voc trak to line up.

theres another way either useing a daw like realband
or another daw , to line up but dont wanna confuse.
another idea is simple just redo voc trak.

note if i do vocs in bb its normally just a 'ruff guide voc' ..

hth//happiness

om

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 09/12/22 02:47 PM.

New Song "PRETTY GIRL" for my wife...Dec 2023
(my vocs....mixed for good earbuds.)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs/prettygirlrbfinalcalfsongsdec2023mp3
(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
Beginners Forum
A
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
A
justanoldmuso

Thanks for the ideas.

I am curious as to why you don't choose bb for vocals generally?

Beginners Forum
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
A Girl.

Re Why.

in the past in all tape no computer 2 inch 24 trak studios we would typically lay down a 'scratch vocal' knowing the arrangement might change later on, and vocs would thus have to be re-done//finalised .

HOWEVER in NOW computer bases studios, and on my rig, its a different paradigm.
NOW in creating songs i use the best features of different music production software.
see my sig at bottom…in my case biab//realban and reaper.

in summary i play to the strengths of each app.

…if you dont think the arrange will change. then lay down a scratch voc , else you'll
have to edit/move the voc trak as youve found. no biggie. now if you change the arrange in chord sheet OFTEN youre gonna have to edit the voc scratch OFTEN.
but there is an alternative. ….
...use a software that lets you easily grab bits of audio with mouse and drag around the voc scratch. in my case i use reaper for this…and final vocs.
so bb for bed traks/genning which i export to reaper to do final vocs.
once ive finalised the arrange and its FINAL then i do final vocs in reaps or realband (which has its own set of neat features with 48 traks etc. )

in summary its all bout developing ones work methods.
i'm sure as bb adds more 'daw like' features, working with audio…will get more advanced.
its just FOR ME i find it easier in reaps or realband.

but i dont wanna confuse you with more apps to learn. SO maybe try what i used to do years ago in using biab…
i would sing along while developing bb chord view, and when finalised ...
would export the bb traks to a daw like reaps or rb.

fwiw ive done 90 songs using bb/rb/reaps using the STRENGTHS of each.
(whether the songs are any good…lol..others can judge.)

so AGIRL in summary each app has strengths, AND IF you think youll be doing a song in bb
that might change OFTEN in chord view. and to save time just sing along with chords live while playing, and to save re-doing vocs all the time.

hth//happiness.

om

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 09/13/22 02:56 AM.

New Song "PRETTY GIRL" for my wife...Dec 2023
(my vocs....mixed for good earbuds.)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs/prettygirlrbfinalcalfsongsdec2023mp3
(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
Beginners Forum
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Originally Posted By: astrigal
Hi;

I wrote a simple song with a style and added a track of singing.
Initially I had no intro.

Now that the song is finished I want to add in an intro. When I do either: insert bars, or Song Form/Intro Bars, the intro bars are added but the singing part doesn't stay locked to the original bars.

So, in this case, I originally start singing at bar 1. Then I insert 4 bars before bar 1 as an intro. I regenerate. The singing still starts at bar 1 and not bar 5, where it should have stayed locked to its companion chords.

What am I missing?

Thanks!

Try this technique in BIAB if you originally began the vocal line recording at Bar 1 and afterwards inserted a 4 bar intro and need to relocate the vocal line audio wave form from Bar 1 to Bar 5.

Click the track with Audio in the BIAB Mixer. For demonstration purpose, assume you recorded the vocal on the Audio Track in the BIAB Mixer.
Open the Audio Editor either by clicking its icon in the Main Screen 'Tools toolbar' or Ctrl + Shift + A Shortcut.
With the Audio Track selected, the Audio Edit Window will display a graphic of the vocal audio wave form and editing features are active.
Highlight the vocal wave form from the very beginning by placing the curser at that point and hold the left mouse button and slide to select the remaining bars of vocal so that you've captured the entire vocal line wave form. You can also use the shift keys and mouse click method if you want.
Cut the vocal line wave form using the Edit sub menu Cut Command or Ctrl-X short cut
Place the curser at the Bar 5 Bar line and use either the Edit sub menu paste command or Ctrl-V to paste the vocal audio wave form starting at the beginning of Bar 5.

If the vocal line wave form is not correctly placed, say the vocals need to begin at Beat 1 rather than at the actual beginning of Bar 5, to repeat the process above of Cut/Paste, use Ctrl-Z to undo the previous paste, set the curser at Beat 1 of Bar 5 and use Ctrl-V to paste the vocal line wave form at the new location.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,587
Posts734,722
Members38,500
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai
38,499 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 197