Go To
#731714 09/15/22 06:52 AM
Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production
J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
Geeky Studio Stuff that might be interesting to some.

1, intel overclock to 8 ghz. things finally are getting interesting cos been boring for sooo long.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-teases-8-ghz-raptor-lake-world-record

the budget champ right now seems to be intel i3 12300 ?

2. a new usb interface looks interesting ua volt 4 4x4. much as i like audient, this looks nice.
BUT is it multiclient n' low latency solid drivers ? anyone know ?
comes with a nice package of music production plug ins etc including drum plug in.
( i love pg real drums till i get rich lol. some drum packages are very expensive, way above my pay grade.,)

https://www.uaudio.com/audio-interfaces/volt-4-usb.html

next one is cheap…dunno how good. last steiny i had i was happy with n' liked
latency n' mic preamps. (see my older songs in my sig at bottom some that used steiny for vocs.)
as always do what i do rent before buying. to see if it works good.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/UR12B--steinberg-ur12b-portable-usb-interface

lots of cheap alternatives tho'...

https://higherhz.com/best-budget-audio-interfaces/

AND for 70 bucks…(dunno how good)

https://www.cadaudio.com/products/new-products/cx2

links above for specs etc.

3. for cheap look at the cheap mxl eg 770/990 and tascam mics (i have a tasc tm 80)
ive used many expensive and cheap mics over the years. can you tell the difference ?
i have a hard time these days. as budget level has got soo good.

4. want a little portable mic booth ? i'm thinking of one of these…

https://www.kaoticaeyeball.com/

5. these kali monitors seem to be getting lots of attention…dunno how good.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/manufacturer/Kali_Audio

happiness

om

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 09/15/22 07:03 AM.

New Song "PRETTY GIRL" for my wife...Dec 2023
(my vocs....mixed for good earbuds.)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs/prettygirlrbfinalcalfsongsdec2023mp3
(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
Expert
Expert
Uh oh… another one of those long rambling threads where you want to discuss the cheapest things out there but end up with you not buying anything.

Ok, I'll play

I will not buy an interface that doesn't meet the following minimum requirements:

1) Fast USB 2 192/24 released October 2019 or later. If that minimum is not met, latency will be excessive. Cirrus is not the only vendor of those chips anymore but probably 95% of them since the 8 in/out, 4 mic pres, 2 DIs, 2 Line Ins and 2 headphone amps version costs about $8 ea min 1000 and the audio quality is incredible. Those not meeting that minimum are using even less expensive chips—no thank you.

2) I insist on a Mix/Blend control for the input/output. Is it necessary? No, actually—you can do this balancing act in your DAW but it takes time. Once you've tracked an overdub session with it and turned a knob to adjust the balance for the Talent, you are spoiled and don't ever want to do without again. Scarlett and UA Volt units don't have this. Many from Mackie, MOTU M4, M-Audio, Steinberg, Presonus and plenty of others do. All of them are inexpensive and a couple even have built in effects. Though I have a half dozen and an 8 I/O M•Audio AIR 192|14 sits on my desk for much of my work, this one goes in the briefcase when I'm on the road and meets all my basic requirements:
Mackie ProFx6v3

Nothing on paper will tell you the best mic for the lowest cost for your needs.

You stand a better chance with studio monitors but the really inexpensive ones cannot give you a mix you can trust. This is one area where it's a good idea to see who's using what. Thousands of home studios are using the JBL 305P, 306P and 308P MkII with the 310 subwoofer — I can make an ok mix on these if I have to (and sometimes I do). I need to hear that bottom octave so a sub is critical to my room. Since my studio monitors are no longer made, what I use isn't important but if they go south, I'd probably replace them with bookshelf monitors from Neumann ($ouch!) so I hope they keep on truckin' a long, long time.

My 2¢

I'm done with this thread so don't bother replying if you think I will read it.

BIAB 2023 Audiophile, 24/60 Core M2 Mac Studio Ultra/8TB/192GB Sonoma, M1 MBAir, 2012 MBP
Digital Performer 11, LogicPro
Finale27.4, Dorico5, Encore5, SmartScorePro64, Notion6, Overture5
J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
Mike.

i would like to go on record as follows.

1.. i am free to post on these forums as you are. us both being pg users.
2.. my understanding of the forum rules are a 'friendly collegial cordial environment' in makeing posts, and exchanging ideas.

3.. ive used the most expensive big studio gear and most inexpensive budget gear over many years, and enjoyed the joy of doing songs at both levels. thus i see no reason why budget gear cant be discussed and views exchanged in a cordial fashion cos many people dont have a big budget for creating songs.if the forum rules said 'no discussions of budget gear' i would of course adhere to that. i just feel not many people would be interested if i posted about gear way outside their price range like 3k mics, 2k interfaces, and 2k mic preamps.

4.. the pg moderators can always step in and tell me if i'm doing something wrong.and i would adhere of course.

i sincerely hope the above is seen as fair and reasonable by all concerned.

om

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 09/15/22 10:19 AM.

(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
1, intel overclock to 8 ghz. things finally are getting interesting cos been boring for sooo long.

Well, yes, people are free to overclock as much as they want. That's not the direction I take, and I am yet to be bored crazy

Consistency and reliability is the direction I usually take.

Yes, overclocking might deliver that too, but it's a matter of choice. As a software programmer developing in Real-Time computer systems for most of my working career, straying outside of the boundaries usually comes up with some 'gotchas'... sooner or later...

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: AudioTrack
Quote:

Well, yes, people are free to overclock as much as they want. That's not the direction I take, and I am yet to be bored crazy

Consistency and reliability is the direction I usually take.

Yes, overclocking might deliver that too, but it's a matter of choice. As a software programmer developing in Real-Time computer systems for most of my working career, straying outside of the boundaries usually comes up with some 'gotchas'... sooner or later...

Aye. For sure!

I started my career in aeronautics where absolutely everything is run well under it's declared limits, never mind beyond them. I always try to keep things decently below them. That way, if nothing else, I worry less. And that goes for both hardware and software.

I still didn't always get things right first time, so I can tell you that quite a few semiconductor components burn with a rather pretty bright-blue flame.

I can also say that a finger on the at-risk components give a good early warning if things are getting hot. Ouch! ... But at least the power was then usually off well before it reached flame stage. My record power-on to ouch was less than three seconds.

Jazz relative beginner, starting at a much older age than was helpful.
Kawai MP6, Korg M50, Ui24R, Saffire Pro 40.
AVL:MXE Linux; Windows 11; Win8.1: Scarletts
BIAB2022 UltraPAK, Reaper, a bunch of stuff.
Veteran
Veteran
It's called "overclocking" for a reason after all.
Working within spec and with systems set up properly offers reliability, consistency and efficiency.
Yet we have a bloke who can't/won't list the RT used in his latest song pushing the envelope with pipe firmly clenched between teeth.
There's nothing "Geeky" in this thread.
Overclocking is something some "gamers" do then have to upgrade rather than repair as a result of and other will try it as a "task"/skill development before moving on.
Follow the suggestion, (yes I know "anathema" for you), of the code & program writers who've responded.
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe amps have the tubes biased well beyond the optimal settings...as a result almost all of those amps burn through tubes that cause further damage. Why? It's a very cheap and easy way to get an amp to overdrive and sound HOT...the fact that the amp kills expensive tubes and requires serious modification to last more than an half dozen years means Fender don't respect the buyers of those amps at all.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
RE: Overclocking.

i dont want to get into a big debate into such as its been debated often over many years on various forums including ones related to music production like gearspace where tons of studios big and small hang out…cept to note....

i dont overclock myself but ive seen cases in the past where studio rigs are overclocked if a studio might be doing sessions that demand very high resource usage on a pc. obviously trying to get buffers and lag down.

as it looks like now more powerful processors are coming out , i suspect the need to overclock by some users will be lessened as time goes on for big sessions.

as far as i understand, even some custom builders of music produaction pc's for studios will overclock if requested by a customer.
heres an interesting article from one such builder…notice the stability comment down a ways.

https://pcaudiolabs.com/overclock-pro-audio-pc/

ps some might find this overclocking info usefull.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/docs/processors/core/performance-maximizer.html

and from amd..

https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/ryzen-master

ps i would suggest a qualified pc tech do any overclock.
if a user wishes that. and always err on the side of caution.

ymmv

happiness.

om

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 09/19/22 04:59 AM.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,623
Posts735,196
Members38,520
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Bpnsrinu, DanyLevy, Arnav Singh, vasilich, maxrob61
38,520 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 185