Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#731781 09/16/22 03:54 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
As much as I have used MIDI in performance over the years, and my rig in the Motown band was AMAZING to see in action, when I sit at a computer I am a total MIDIot. I know some controller numbers, but I know nothing about SYSex, or the WHY and WHEREFORE of how plugins actually work. I get that you assign a synth to a track and control the synth from a controller, but the HOW it works behind the obvious "you transmit note numbers and velocities to the synth" levels there has to be more. I struggle to get VSTs to work and don't know why a VST and a VSTi are not the same thing. Like Cakewalk's TSS-1 as an example (in Real Band). I can copy it from one computer to another, search for it on the new computer, but unless Cakewalk is installed I can't detect it or load it into RB. And there's when the WHY questions start. It's a file names TSS-1.dll like every other VST instrument I have, yet I can't make it work without the laborious and space eating installation of Cakewalk on a just freshly wiped computer that now runs Win 11, a program that I don't really want and won't use. Yet I may have to install Cakewalk to use TSS-1, which is a really handy synth. I don't even know what to copy from the old computer (downstairs) to the new installation (upstairs).

I feel like I did when I was 4 and sat down at a piano for the first time. Totally new world to me and I am lost. I am sure there are things about MIDI that I don't even need to know, but I don't understand why VSTs don't just work. very video I find is DAW specific. How to use TSS-1 on FL Studio. How to use it on Reaper. How to use it on Cakewalk. I just want to use it on Real Band. (Wiping my computer to put Win 11 on it also erased Pro Tools but as little as I used it, I won't even reload it.)

All I want to do is keep my VSTs in a folder called "64bit VST" and have them work.

Last edited by eddie1261; 09/16/22 03:59 AM.

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Eddie, the TTS-1 is part of Cakewalk and can not be used with installing Cakewalk. This is the answer one gets when they ask the question can I use TTS-1 without installing Cakewalk "No, the plug-in is not available separately. It is a DXi so is not scanned by the VST scanner. It is registered during installation with the Windows program regsvr32.exe The default install path is C:Program FilesCakewalkShared DXiTTS-1"

DXis are old technology that must be registered with a host program, that is they can not be registered alone. VSTis can be registered alone without a host program.

VSTs are effect plug-ins like compressors, delays, reverbs, etc.
VSTis are instrument plug-ins like horns, violins, drums, etc.
Many times they are used incorrectly.

I hope this helps.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Sure does help. I guess I am installing Sonar today.

2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Here's another option, a little more flexible -
https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=494383
I know you hate spending money but $18 is pretty cheap to avoid installing other unwanted software..

Don't any of your synths have a GM sound set?

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
If you have access to one of the older Cakewalk versions such as Music Creator, you can install those and get TTS.

Personally, I only use MIDI when I connect my keyboard to play a part, either piano or bass. I'm like you in that I never learned nor had a desire to learn all the controller stuff. One of my keyboards has touch sensitivity so I can get that by using that particular keyboard however, for most things, it really doesn't matter since I can control volumes with envelopes. I use mostly audio in the real tracks or live audio and rarely use MIDI unless as I previously mentioned.

I do know you have to tell your program where the VSTi TTS is located. And you need to scan the correct directory in Cake otherwise it will not find it.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
VStSynthFont64 has been my Defualt Synth in BIAB. Has been for years. The old version 3.201 was given away free with BIAB. I am betting the install is buried on your HD. There is a newer version $$ but I never reallly needed a reason to purchase it.

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: eddie1261
... when I sit at a computer I am a total MIDIot.

No you're not.
MIDI was never intended for normal human beings to understand. It's a protocol for musical machines and it was originally devised when data rates were slow and latency was important. It still has a lot of baggage from those days. There is absolutely no shame in finding MIDI hard to understand. You are a very long way from alone!

I have a slightly different interpretation from Mario's about VST vs VSTi.

VST is any plugin that conforms to Steinberg's VST standards.
It can be an instrument, an effect, an oscilloscope or similar, or possibly some combination of several.

VSTi is just a handy way to quickly say "this is a VST instrument".

Jazz relative beginner, starting at a much older age than was helpful.
Kawai MP6, Korg M50, Ui24R, Saffire Pro 40.
AVL:MXE Linux; Windows 11; Win8.1: Scarletts
BIAB2022 UltraPAK, Reaper, a bunch of stuff.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I just checked and my head is spinning at 3482 rpm’s. You guys are amazing. I can apply a VSTi to a BiaB MST and that’s it smile

J&B

rharv #731841 09/16/22 10:27 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: rharv
Don't any of your synths have a GM sound set?

I have no idea. I know GM is General MIDI but I think mine may only have Lieutenant MIDI.

Aren't the sounds in ANY synthesizer GM? As I sit here I have an M-Audio Keystation 61 MK3 connected to an MX8 MIDI thru box which is in turn outputted to 6 synth modules in a rack and that to another MX8 MIDI through box, which is in turn connected to my Nord Electro 4, the Ensoniq ESQ-1, the Ensoniq EPS 16+ and the Korg Krome. (And 2 drum machines.) All of that works well, as I have a 12 channel mixer and I can mix the synth sounds that way when playing live. It's the interfacing with VSTi that have thrown me for a loop. (See what I did there?)

BUT... I just finished installing Sonar 64 bit, and just before I replied to this thread I tested and can now use the TSS-1 in a Real Band song.

In other news, Windows 11 has not caused ONE problem as far as operation, and I have updated 5 of my 6 computers. Relearning some things, yeah. Like locating things that are not where they used to be, but I am fine with that. So with the guitars all hung by the chimney with care,

and the rack complete,

I am calling this room done. All that I need now is an idea to write something about! I should neaten up the wiring, which is an amazing feat of engineering in itself, but I can do that any time. I still need to do something about the lighting in here, but that will have to wait for a while as I pay for other stuff I have done or bought in the last few months.

2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Hey Eddie, need help with Win12? I got an early copy...... j/k

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
The Korg Krome should have a nice GM set.
You could always send MIDI to it ..

Page 7 of manual lists them.
http://i.korg.com/uploads/Support/USA_KROME_VNL_EFGSJ1.pdf

I'm often surprised people think they need a GM VSTi when they have hardware ones.
Sure 'rendering' is easier, but the sound quality and control is often better from a hardware synth.
Convenience vs. Quality is always an individual choice and varies by user.

I'm pretty sure the TTS-1 uses an older Roland SC sound set at its base, so newer *anything with a GM sound set will at least challenge it and likely sound better for a lot of the sounds.

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I have used that Krome blending the horn section with the EPS sampler's horn section to be the supporting horns in that Southside Johnny band I was in. I pretty much WAS the horn section. With the live horns standing out front, but mixed WAY back out in front, nobody knew the horn sounds were 90% from me and 10% from them. I may now spring for a Korg Nautilus, the board that replaced the Kronos. One I spent time with it and learned how to make the sound layers it turned out to be a great sounding board. And I just made a "Combi" for every song I played that was not on the Combi I called "Base" so to move from song to song was just a matter of rolling the jog wheel to the right song name. I think I had 9 Combi setups. No more remembering what sounds I needed for each song. I had a similar experience in the Motown band but that was done inside the MX8 MIDI patch bay and that thing required a PhD in electronics to program!! Because on the ESQ-1 keyboard, internal banks are 10 sounds each, so bank 3 sound 4 was the 34th patch. but no no no, because MIDI (correctly) runs from 0-9 it was sound 33. Yet on a board with 8 sounds per bank, where I would normally think of bank 7/patch 2 as 72, that sound is patch 50. And that box stored the master/slave configuration, so controller 2 had to run to sound source 1,2,3,4,5 or 6. It was a nightmare to get used to, but I had 17 setups for the 3 boards and 3 rack modules. I had (still have) a program transmitting keypad set to channel 16, so when I wanted setup 7, I input the 7 key and then enter and it changed everything. BUT... 2 of those sound sources were samplers using floppy discs so I had to make sure I had the right disc in them before pressing enter.

Part of why I never drank on a gig. LOL!

Time to go read your link.

2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I wouldn't count on the GM sound set being *that much better on a newer Korg, as GM has been pretty stagnant, but as I said, it may be better than the TTS-1 in many settings.
Worst case you now have a couple GM synths to choose from <grin>
Maybe the piano on one of the synths sounds better than the other on song A but not song B, etc

Image shows how to send this message from inside RB if needed

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
GM_Mode_On.jpg (200.07 KB, 145 downloads)
Last edited by rharv; 09/16/22 01:07 PM.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
General MIDI, +++ GM +++, is a standardized list of 128 instrument patches and sound effects. The goal of the list is to make sure when you call instrument patch # 33 the GM compatible synth loads an acoustic bass instrument patch.

Before the list was adopted every synth module instrument patch list was defined by the synth manufacturer. This led to issues where the wrong instrument sound would get loaded when patch changes were made during a performance.

General MIDI 2, GM2, raises the number of standard instrument patch and sound effect names to 256.

Both Roland and Yamaha have additional naming standards, GS and XG respectively.

+++ HERE +++ is a pretty good comparison of the various MIDI patch name conventions.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
To answer your question: Aren't the sounds in ANY synthesizer GM? As far as I know every hardware synth has a GM set.

Most if not all also have a large number of "better" sounds. I put better in quotes because I guess it is in the ear of the listener, isn't it? Anyway, GM is fine for working on things, but usually you want something that sounds much better, in my opinion. Those sounds are all available and accessible on hardware synths, you just have to use the documentation to know how to tell whatever program you are using how to find them. Patch maps are very useful in BIAB and Real Band. There are many already created for most of the major synths, and you can find most anything you need with a quick internet search. These ease the process of selecting something other than a GM sound for a particular part when using BIAB or Real Band.

See, clear as mud.

My wife asked if I had seen the dog bowl. I told her I didn't even know he could.
etcjoe #731895 09/16/22 11:37 PM
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: etcjoe
To answer your question: Aren't the sounds in ANY synthesizer GM? As far as I know every hardware synth has a GM set.

I think that's true, but in the case of my Kawai MP6, if I want the GM set mapped normally I have to change the configuration, as it defaults to a different mapping.

I'm fairly my Korg M50 also does something similar, though I rarely use it for anything.

Jazz relative beginner, starting at a much older age than was helpful.
Kawai MP6, Korg M50, Ui24R, Saffire Pro 40.
AVL:MXE Linux; Windows 11; Win8.1: Scarletts
BIAB2022 UltraPAK, Reaper, a bunch of stuff.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
So far, I've avoided the plug-in synth thing entirely.

I have good ol' hardware synths. A couple of the older ones have been working since Windows 3.1 and Mac OS6 (System 6).

They do not need new drivers or anything when Windows upgrades, they still work when Apple abandons everything old, they all have about 5ms latency (none for all practical purposes), I can mix and match sounds from the different modules, and they don't tax the CPU of my computer.

I have many thousands of sounds to choose from, and they are ultra reliable.

I see no reason to switch to soft synths right now. Perhaps in the future? Time will tell.

Notes ♫

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
Aren't the sounds in ANY synthesizer GM?

No, not every synth has a GM sound set, though many (most?) do.

First example that comes to mind is a Moog .. yeah I'm that old. There are modern day examples also.

etcjoe #731922 09/17/22 05:12 AM
Off-Topic
B
Journeyman
Journeyman
B
Originally Posted By: etcjoe

Not true in the least.

Byron Dickens

BIAB. CbB. Mixbus 32C 8 HP Envy. Intel core i7. 16GB RAM W10. Focusrite Scarlett 18i 20. Various instruments played with varying degrees of proficiency.

https://soundcloud.com/athanorsoundlabs
Off-Topic
M
Apprentice
Apprentice
M
This isn't even true in Biab. There are some differences between the Cyote Wavetable sounds, and the Roland TTS (which I think sounds better. Probably people who can add more explicit detail can continue this conversation.

rharv #735131 10/17/22 10:50 AM
Off-Topic
R
Journeyman
Journeyman
R
Originally Posted By: rharv
Quote:
Aren't the sounds in ANY synthesizer GM?

No, not every synth has a GM sound set, though many (most?) do.

First example that comes to mind is a Moog .. yeah I'm that old. There are modern day examples also.
Yup. The Kurzweil PC4 doesn't have a GM bank. (The PC2 and PC3 both do.)

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: methodman
This isn't even true in Biab. There are some differences between the Cyote Wavetable sounds, and the Roland TTS (which I think sounds better. Probably people who can add more explicit detail can continue this conversation.

Did you mean the Cakewalk TTS?

2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Eddie,

The Cakewalk TTS-1 is an OEM product created by Roland for Cakewalk. It replaced and is derived from Roland's Edirol HyperCanvas software. +++ Sound-On-Sound Article link +++

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
There are so many GM sound sets based on Roland stuff it's silly.
Even the lowly Windows sounds are based on the most basic version of a Roland GM sound set. (though made even more degraded by MS turning it into a soundfont format and having Windows handling that) .. but you didn't hear that from me. Back in the day you could replace the GM.DLS file with a renamed SF and it worked fine. I used to be able to work with a 128 meg SF instead of their 3.5 meg file.
Read the GMReadMe.txt file in your Windows\System32\Drivers folder.

Haven't figured out how to replace that file since W7 and W10. They made it almost impossible (though I'm sure there is a way). Just not worth effort with the multitude of other options now.

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
So today's exercise was this.

I downloaded a MIDI file and imported it into both RB and BIAB. (3 different versions from 3 different sources.) The sounds were hideous but that wasn't the reason for the exercise.

I got the thing to play and exported it to an audio file (I used WAV.) I then restarted RB and imported that WAV file.

I then ran it through the ACW and once again, the chords as interpreted by RB were not even close. I mean like really not even close. The song was in C and the chords were Eb, and not even close to correct as the progression "progressed". I deliberately picked a song I know how to play so I knew what they were supposed to be. ("I Can't Give You Anything But Love")

HOW do you guys get that frickin' thing to work??? I have never had ACW come even close. I once put one of my own songs into it and it butchered that badly too.

The game here is that I want to take MIDI files, plug them into either software, get a workable WAV file out of it, then run ACW so I have a chord sheet. With that chord sheet I can then generate what I want from the style picker and then generate tracks with the sounds I want. Has anybody ever done those exact steps successfully?

I honestly still don't know what that Chord Wizard this is even for since it doesn't actually work.

To allude to another thread, talk about cheating...!!

2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Eddie, which Audio Chord Wizard, or ACW for short are you using?

Realband has an ACW. Band-in-a-Box (BiaB) has a different ACW accessible as a button in the Audio Editor, on the Views button strip and two places in the menu bar. The Band-in-a-Box ACW is newer and more accurate than the RealBand ACW.

The RealBand ACW needs for the first bar setting to be as accurate as possible. The same can be said for the BiaB ACW but it does a better job of guessing where the first bar is.

If an audio file has modulations or tempo variations it helps the ACW if you separate the audio file into sections so the changes are minimized.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
The sounds were hideous but that wasn't the reason for the exercise.

Eddie, I'm not sure if this might have been a contributing factor in the poor result. I expect ACW works better with a higher quality input file to analyse. I don't really know and am just thinking out aloud here.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Off-Topic
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Originally Posted By: eddie1261
So today's exercise was this.

I downloaded a MIDI file and imported it into both RB and BIAB. (3 different versions from 3 different sources.) The sounds were hideous but that wasn't the reason for the exercise.

I got the thing to play and exported it to an audio file (I used WAV.) I then restarted RB and imported that WAV file.

I then ran it through the ACW and once again, the chords as interpreted by RB were not even close. I mean like really not even close. The song was in C and the chords were Eb, and not even close to correct as the progression "progressed". I deliberately picked a song I know how to play so I knew what they were supposed to be. ("I Can't Give You Anything But Love")

HOW do you guys get that frickin' thing to work??? I have never had ACW come even close. I once put one of my own songs into it and it butchered that badly too.

The game here is that I want to take MIDI files, plug them into either software, get a workable WAV file out of it, then run ACW so I have a chord sheet. With that chord sheet I can then generate what I want from the style picker and then generate tracks with the sounds I want. Has anybody ever done those exact steps successfully?

I honestly still don't know what that Chord Wizard this is even for since it doesn't actually work.

To allude to another thread, talk about cheating...!!

Not exactly the steps you're taking because they don't work. Doesn't matter why because the end result you're seeking; "I want to take MIDI files, plug them into either software, get a workable WAV file out of it, then run ACW so I have a chord sheet. With that chord sheet I can then generate what I want from the style picker and then generate tracks with the sounds I want." can be done successfully in either BIAB or RB with the ACW like you describe. But there's a better way.

Since you start with a MIDI file, it's much easier and faster to open that MIDI file in BIAB. BIAB will automatically detect the chords, populate the Chord Sheet, set the tempo, key signature and sets a MIDI Style and disables it so only the MIDI song on the Melody Track sounds out.

As far as I know, this works with any MIDI file, even one you create.

If you want to separate the midi channels onto individual Utility Tracks; After opening the MIDI file, reduce the BIAB Chord Sheet and select the MIDI file again and drag and drop the file anywhere on the Chord Sheet and BIAB will automatically separate and load each individual midi channel onto a Utility Track.

Here's a Henry Clarke Video demonstrating and explaining all the steps.

How I made a RealTrack and MIDI backing track in less than 10 minutes

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Last time I weighed in on this topic I was almost rode out of town on a rail. So let me be careful.

I have done this sort of manipulation to recreate covers over the years likely as much as or more than most. My conconclusion is, if you need the chords - buy the sheetmusic, if you need the midi - purchase it from a professional (in fact HC provides recommendations for two sites and I fully concur). Anything else is just messin around - which maybe is what you want to do. But, nothing wrong with that.

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Charlie first. The key word in your reply was OPEN the file. I was IMPORTING it. I used OPEN and now I have a chord sheet. I didn't even listen to it because I really only wanted the chord sheet. I then saved that out as a BIAB file (MGX), then opened it in Real Band, where I prefer to work. I then transposed it to my key and adjusted the tempo. No issues there. Now I can dive into the chord chart and make the changes I want to make so I can do some chord substitutions with embellished chords and then run it through a different style. OPEN did the trick.

Now to Dan, the whole idea was just to play with something I had never tried before but I knew had to be possible. I needed that chord chart just to build the foundation of the song. Now I need to build the upper floors. For example, the MIDI file went straight into the song with no intro. I know what I want to do for an intro, and I can now insert bars and write the chord progression I want to use for an intro. I get my chord charts from Chordie, and would never buy a MIDI file. The only reason I wanted a MIDI file was to see if this could be done so a free one from MIDIS'R'US or wherever was fine. I don't even care what it sounds like as I will never perform it anywhere. Remember my thing about covers vs originals. I would rather tell my true story than someone else's fiction. Like this one about dealing with PTSD that I did a few years ago.

I Hope Somebody Cries

Well, maybe I'll do THIS cover at Herbstock 2023...

"By the time we got to Herbstock we were several dozen strong..."

Last edited by eddie1261; 11/07/22 03:07 AM.

2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Eddie, glad open works for you. Other tips you may be unaware of since you don't use BIAB much and if you only are interested opening BIAB MIDI project for the Chords is to Open the MIDI file and change the Style that loads to a BIAB Blank Style (search StylePicker for Blank - there's 4-5 blank styles) and ERASE the imported MIDI file residing on the Melody Track and save the BIAB project as an SGU file rather than MGX. Doing this will open RB with Chords but no MIDI tracks you'll have to delete. Selecting one of BIAB's Metronome styles will load RB with chords and a click track set to the tempo of the BIAB file.

Since you also play keys, anything you may be working on using your keyboard, can be saved as a MIDI file and opened in BIAB loading the Chords, tempo, key signature, feel and a default Midi Style. Just saying homemade works equally well as professional store bought for how you're using MIDI.

What you're doing is a great way to quickly get from idea to BIAB project, including melodies.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Charlie!! My new hero!

This all worked really well. I had to do some adjusting of things not PG related (like enhanced chord voicing to use the Chordie chart chord names rather than the MIDI file chords) but the PG piece worked fine now that I learned what to do.

Working on songs for Herbstock 2023!!

2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
I'm not familiar with Chordie but if the program can export chords as text, BIAB can import chords in text format. You can bypass MIDI completely if that works for you.

Here is a BIAB demo sgu file saved as .txt file:

[Song] [Title _COOLEVE Demo - Cool Evening On Beach Swing]
[File _COOLEVE Demo - Cool Evening On Beach Swing.SGU]
[Key G ] [Tempo 85] [Form 1-16*3]
[.Sty _COOLEVE.STY] [Style Cool Evening On Beach Swing]
[Chords]
|:a) G| Am| Bm| Am|
| G| D| C|%|
|b) Em| Bm| C| Em|
| A| D| G Am| G:3X|end) G|
[ChordsEnd]
[SongEnd]

Note that you can save any BIAB file as a .txt file using the Save Special | Save song on clipboard or text file command. You can also create a complete BIAB file using text....

You can see the results of the above text chart using copy (Ctrl-C) to copy the text to your clipboard and opening a new BIAB session and use Ctrl-shift-V to paste the info onto the Chord Sheet. It's quite a trick. Have we unleashed the beast now that you have all this new knowledge?

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Chordie is a web page that shows chord charts for a lot of songs. Just as images, not files to download and insert.

I never knew you could do any of that. The unleashed beast wants to have 6 or so songs for Herbstock 2023.

"By the time we got to Herbstock, we were coupl'a dozen strong..."

2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Well I hope you experiment some with the chord text feature. You can input Styles, Part Markers (a and b only), number of bars, tempo, key signature, memo, title and more.

The only embellishments I do is stories. I'm curious but assume a text chord sheet will accept any chord that BIAB program accepts. Maybe you can "embellish" the chords above or 'save as text' to one of your existing embellished chord charts and share your results.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,611
Posts735,067
Members38,515
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
TonyInManchester, jslynbrrs01, amdwilsns01, Juan Jose, BroDon
38,515 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 185