Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production
DrDan Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Project started in BIAB and ended up entirely in my DAW. Kontakt Session Guitars (Multiple), Audio Imperia Chorus, Ethera Gold Atlantis, SF BBC Discover Orchestral Harp, EZDrummer3 and of course Melodyne, Nectar 3 and Ozone 9.

At this point in my life I don't have the chops to write from my heart, but if I could it would sound something like this. Till then, when I hear something which speaks to me, I am not shy about trying to cover it. This is a first take, so any comments on the mix would be appreciated and I would be glad to implement them if I can.

Field of Gold - Eva Cassidy Cover

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Veteran
Veteran
Dan,

That's pretty good. I haven't listened to the Eva Cassidy version so I can't compare to that. I like the tempo changes, background vocals, female voice and your singing.

My main complaint is the mix has no bottom. There's no bass, organ, piano left hand, nothing to give any bottom to the mix.

A secondary concern is your instrument choices. I think one is a virtual nylon string guitar and another is a harpsichord but they sound too similar and clash with each other's frequency space.

A preference would be to include a rhythm guitar or piano to add some empty audio filler.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
DrDan Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks Jim, I will plug my ears in today and listen carefully, based on your advice. Much appreciated.

Dan

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Expert
Expert
The song by Sting?

BIAB 2023 Audiophile, 24/60 Core M2 Mac Studio Ultra/8TB/192GB Sonoma, M1 MBAir, 2012 MBP
Digital Performer 11, LogicPro
Finale27.4, Dorico5, Encore5, SmartScorePro64, Notion6, Overture5
DrDan Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Ya, of course.

Imitation is the highest form of compliment. I always liked this song written and performed by Sting

But I loved this cover by Eva. grin

I think I read somewhere that Sting liked Eva's version better than his. But don't quote me on that. crazy

Expert
Expert
That is just great, Dan. Wonderful vibrato on the vocal. Hey, Linda Ronstadt was once asked who the best female vocalist was. Now, that's question guaranteed to get her in trouble, eh? her answer was one that no one can find fault with: Eva Cassidy.

Link: www.soundcloud.com/ed_shaw (Feel Free to Use)
https://drooble.com/edward.shaw/hymn/index.htm
Biab for WIN 2020 -- Win 10 64bit -- Reaper/Audacity
Zoom R-16 -- Tascam DP-03-SD -- SoundTap -- Crescendo --
DrDan Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thank you Ed, I appreciate the kind words. The vibrato is brought to you by IZotope Nectar 3 - I don't record vocals without it.

And BTW, Jim, I added a bass line over the solo portions. I wanted to keep the "sparse" sound so I kept it to a minimum. I also changed some of the VIs to avoid the clash you reported. I was going to upload but SoundCloud does not allow one to replace a file. So for now the world will only know the first take. crazy

Expert
Expert
Sure thing, Dan. Exclusive little club we have, here smile

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: MusicStudent
... I was going to upload but SoundCloud does not allow one to replace a file. So for now the world will only know the first take. crazy

Give the remix a new name and SoundCloud should allow you to upload it. How does "Fields of Gold - Eva Cassidy Cover Remix" strike your fancy?

I'd love to hear what you've done.

DrDan Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Will do Jim. Thanks for the interest. Stay tuned.

Veteran
Veteran
Way different. Much better balance of frequencies. Well done!

DrDan Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Ya, I listened more today, some things are better, .... but some are worse! The vocals have an edge on them now from Neckar which I can't unhear. Sounded good at the time, but I have to go back to the prior settings. So I will pull, or maybe delete and upload same title again with presets back to original.

I blame it on my eyes and the fact that I don't fully listen and listen and listen before I upload.

Expert
Expert
Message told me Remix and Remaster has been removed.

DrDan Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Ed, I took it down. The vocals had a "edge" to them. Maybe too much delay or reverb. I do hope to fix it and then swap out the origninal version with the new and improved version.

But rest assured, this final effort will appear on my Funeral Mix CD which I am compiling for when that time comes and all my friends and family will be forced to listen to my song stylings. Oh how the tears will fall... cry

Veteran
Veteran
Well gosh Dan, really, a "My Funeral CD"? What I heard was nowhere near morbid enough for that!

DrDan Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Jim, fact is no one, with the exception of me and a few kind souls here in the forum, ever hears my music. My contribution to humanity was never designed to be in the area of music. If it was, then God played a cruel trick on me. Kinda like the fact that I was given a huge love for Basketball, but only grew to be 5 ft. 10 in. But I am OK with that. I have other talents which will leave far more impact after my passing than my music or my basketball. Both these are really just for me and I do thank God for the joy these gifts have provided to me over a lifetime.

But I am serious about leaving instructions for the backing track at my funeral reception. grin

Veteran
Veteran
Okay Dan,

If you want to hear a real funeral song unlike any funeral song you've likely heard try +++ A Dying Business +++ by the Chad Mitchell Trio.

Expert
Expert
Quote:
The vibrato is brought to you by IZotope Nectar 3 - I don't record vocals without it.

For anything except choir tracks, I agree. I've been using Nectar since v.1 and it is a tremendous time saver. I do wish they had retained the original pitch correction tool in v.1/2 and not replaced it with Melodyne Essentials in v.3, however.

The wording of your remark is puzzling: do you track vocals with it or use it post only as I do?

BIAB 2023 Audiophile, 24/60 Core M2 Mac Studio Ultra/8TB/192GB Sonoma, M1 MBAir, 2012 MBP
Digital Performer 11, LogicPro
Finale27.4, Dorico5, Encore5, SmartScorePro64, Notion6, Overture5
DrDan Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Mike Halloran
[quote]The wording of your remark is puzzling: do you track vocals with it or use it post only as I do?

Yes, "post" as you do. Vocal are laid down by just me, naked so to so. I attempt to do the entire song in one take. I find if I have to do punchins I lose the feeling. Plus I can hear my voice change the longer I sing. And not always for the better. When I like what I got, I add Melodyne to pitch correct. It alway surprizes me how close to pitch I can get and still not get it perfect. Then comes Necktar.

I don't record a lot of my singing since my range is very limited, but when the right song comes along I am not shy at giving it my best.

Thanks for asking.

DrDan Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
This is the final version. Only changes to FX and VIs. I went back to the original Necktar (wide and bright) and Ozone preset. This one is much better to my ear.

Jim, thanks for sending me back to the well. I think it was well worth it. grin

Fields of God - Eva Cassidy Cover - final mix and master

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,398
Posts732,546
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199