Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Beginners Forum
Z
OP Offline
Z
Hi,

I'm a brand new user and I'm starting to learn my way around BB...

What I currently can't quite get my head wrapped around is how (and if) the style has an influence how music is generated from the RealTracks that I might choose later on.

As an example, assume I have created a pretty standard blues progression with _BLSHUFF.STY and then I change the bass track to use a different RealTrack, for example "2610: Bass, Electric, SoulFunkSwingAlex Sw 120", and also swap Guitar 2 to "1585: Guitar, Electric, Rhythm TexasBluesRockShuffleSol Sw 130"

Does the style that I initially use have any influence on how music based on the RealTracks will be generated? For styles using RealTracks, does the style do anything else beyond selecting the tracks to be used?

Hope this makes sense...

Cheers!
Lars

Beginners Forum
Expert
Online Embarrased
Expert
You can do it, it's even the whole interest of BIAB. Each instrument has its own personality but if you're more or less in the tempo, the feel, it's bound to stick and amaze you. Creativity highly recommended in BIAB. The styles are an assembly prepared by the musicians of PG, but nothing is fixed, you can test again and again, and be pleasantly surprised by what you hear.

Biab Audiophile 2024 11.11, Win11
Beginners Forum
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
The Style also loads the feel, time signature, and tempo into the song. So generally, it is best that after you select a Style you are also selecting additional RealTracks that have these settings that are close to the Style. If you try to load a RealTrack thats tempo is very different or was recorded in a different time signature, then it might not sound the best. Other than these parameters, the Style does not affect how an individual RealTrack generates.

Best,
Chantelle
Beginners Forum
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Zack.

as a long time pg user i would advise the following…

1..for first time users to go thru' every style in the stylepicker , and every RT, and RD in their respective pickers. and note down your favorites you might use in songs.
AND each year if you get the new upgrade go thru the same for that years rt's//rd's and styles. yes it takes a loong time .. But…well worth it imho and you wont miss anything superb. this is what i do yearly on getting the upgrade.

2..i encourage you to 'cross pollenate'. ie…experiment with rt's from another style in the song. i've done many biab songs where bb told me 'naughty boy wrong genre etc etc' lol..and, in the process had lots of happy accidents by experimenting. i'm always searching for what i call 'interesting sound pictures'.
eg i might use a jazz bass in another genre if it sounds good.

frankly the possibilities are endless. (see my sig for examples of crazy biab songs ive done if your interested.). in summary i 'cross pollenate' often.
rules are made to be broken imho.

as to how biab works etc internally..obviously thats something maybe you might ask pg support.
i cant give you a definitive answer.

hth/happiness.

om

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 09/19/22 03:15 AM.

New Song "PRETTY GIRL" for my wife...Dec 2023
(my vocs....mixed for good earbuds.)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs/prettygirlrbfinalcalfsongsdec2023mp3
(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Chantelle - PG Music
The Style also loads the feel, time signature, and tempo into the song. Other than these parameters, the Style does not affect how an individual RealTrack generates.

In the case of MIDI only, Styles were critical to the performance (what is played and how). However, once RTs came along "Styles" - if we can use that word, have essentially become presets for instrument, key, tempo and feel (i.e., time signature, Ev/Swing, 8/16 note). But, all those parameters can be overridden.

It's a good question.

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Beginners Forum
Z
OP Offline
Z
Thank you all... this is very helpful.

@MusicStudent - this is what I suspected: styles were much more important in case of MIDI based material. It seems like the pattern stuff in StyleMaker for instance does not have any relevance when working only with RealTracks. Is that right?

For long-time users, this is probably a much more natural thing as it happened gradually over time but for a first-time user it's a bit odd in the beginning.

@justanoldmuso - the advice to try and mix styles is very good I am realizing. When the feel is off (swing vs. even), things are (obviously) much more likely to go awry, but other than that lots of happy accidents seem to be waiting :-)

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
ZackPlonk, welcome to the forum. You immediately zeroed in on something many do not understand. This topic reappears periodically.

I think the long-time users are some who may not understand the relationship between RTs and Styles precisely because we learned it differently for MIDI, yes, but it was never clearly explained how RTs made styles different. Over the years I’ve given advice that people can substitute RTs and even save the result as a new style. It was just explained here that the supplied styles are well-matched. PG Music develops new combinations each year. But I often experiment with mixing genres and come up with some amazing sounds.

Your first post here is highly perceptive. As a former programming prof. I always value the observations of new users. Keep your questions coming.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
There has always been confusion between the term "Styles" and "RealTracks", as I've found lots of folks here call RT's "styles" (as in, "I selected a different style on the bass track"). So the quick primer is:

BIAB has tracks, which (for the most part) represent the riffs that follow the chord progression played by a single instrument. Tracks can be either MIDI, SuperMIDI, or "Real" (RealTracks and RealDrums). How the track is generated is determined by its type.

Originally, there were X tracks defined, with the names:

GENERATED BY STYLES
* Bass
* Drums
* Piano
* Guitar
* Strings

FOR USE BY THE USER TO RECORD MELODIES OR SOLOS OR IMPORT FROM A MIDI FILE
* Melody
* Soloist

Styles, however, are a packaging of "auto-generated/auto-generating" tracks that follow the chord progression across multiple instruments and give you a full band playing the song.

Originally BIAB styles used only the Bass, Drums, Piano, Guitar, and Strings MIDI tracks and riffs to generate arrangements. The names were generally what instruments were used on those tracks, but other than Drums, the actual instrument could be any instrument (nothing keeps you from putting a trumpet on the guitar track). Today, you can have any instrument on any track and it is named accordingly, but there are still places where the legacy names can trip you up (such as for holds, shots, and rests), but I won't go there in this post.

Original MIDI styles used a weighted pattern editor to generate unique riff phrases that follow the chord progression. So depending upon the weight assigned to a phrase, it would play often or not. Also, it allowed for specific conditions that determine what is played (for example, play this riff right before a part marker). We as users have full use of the Style Editor to create our own patterns and MIDI styles.

SuperMIDI tracks are generated similarly to the original MIDI styles; however, it uses a different engine and we as users do not have access to that underlying technology to create our own.

With RealTracks (and RealDrums), they are all pre-recorded phrases from one to eight bars long. The RealTracks engine does not generate the riffs, but intelligently selects which phrases to include based on a number of factors such as: how long before the next chord change; is there a phrase recorded for a specific chord or will another phrase have to be transposed; etc.) and slices and dices to put it together. It's amazing how smooth this often works, but occasionally you'll hear something that sounds a little choppy. Also, BIAB lets you create your own "realtracks", which are called UserTracks.

Styles then just package a mix of MIDI and Real into a style file that can then be used to generate a number of tracks into a song with multiple instruments all playing the correct chord progression. While MIDI patterns are included in the actual style file, for RealTracks it is strictly "by reference". The Style file knows to use the RealTrack, but it passes that need on to the RT engine for processing.

With the addition of utility tracks utility tracks, it gets a little more convoluted, but hopefully the basics above made some sense.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,604
Posts735,001
Members38,512
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
BroDon, Xtian, michael07716, Ronsei, McYann
38,511 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 186