You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#732373 - 09/22/22 07:45 PM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Power consumption in MacBook
Bob Walker Offline

Biab (2021 - 515) on my MacBook Pro really drains the battery. I can only go a few hours before I need to plug in. Is this a known issue? is there any fix?

For example: currently my Activity Monitor shows Biab with
Energy Impact: 21.9
12 hour power: 18.3
CPU: 17%
and it's not even the current window.

This is 4 to 5 times higher than any other process running (ie Musescore is the next highest at 4, 5 and 4)

Thanks for any info or feedback.
Bob

#732390 - 09/23/22 05:02 AM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: Power consumption in MacBook [Re: Bob Walker]
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
AudioTrack Offline
Veteran

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Originally Posted By: Bob Walker
Biab (2021 - 515) on my MacBook Pro really drains the battery. I can only go a few hours before I need to plug in. Is this a known issue? is there any fix?

For example: currently my Activity Monitor shows Biab with
Energy Impact: 21.9
12 hour power: 18.3
CPU: 17%
and it's not even the current window.

This is 4 to 5 times higher than any other process running (ie Musescore is the next highest at 4, 5 and 4)

Thanks for any info or feedback.
Bob

Welcome to the forums, Bob.
You mentioned: build 515 so this is 2021 as you have stated. I'm not familiar with Mac, but are there other diagnostic tools that you can use to determine approximate current lifespan of your version?

Does the computer pass other performance tests, separately to BiaB?

BIAB & RB2022 Win.(Audiophile), SonarPlatinum, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, SynthogyIvory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer ActiveMonitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones

#732472 - 09/23/22 05:21 PM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: Power consumption in MacBook [Re: AudioTrack]
Bob Walker Offline

Thanks for the response.
I'm not sure what you mean by 'current lifespan of your version'. Do you mean the MacOS? It's up to date (10.15.7)

I suppose I could run other Mac diagnostics, but I'm not sure what more info this would give me. It's pretty obvious that Biab is an outlier application on my Mac in terms of resource consumption.

I've heard that some multi-platform applications (like Biab that runs on Windows and Mac), that are built from the same code sometimes can't always implement specific elements of the platform. For example, I don't think Biab on a Mac listens to the 'go to sleep' command from the OS.

#732590 - 09/25/22 07:56 AM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: Power consumption in MacBook [Re: Bob Walker]
Loc: Sonoran Desert
mrgeeze Online   content
Journeyman

Loc: Sonoran Desert
Please provide some specs on your macbook pro (year, ram,processors,drive,etc)
Battery life on Macbooks seems pretty variable as they age. That may factor in.

Check this out perhaps
https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/check-the-condition-of-your-computers-battery-mh20865/mac.

biab eats some resources but mostly during rendering. It seems pretty benign standing by.

Music: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4X2ibP-Fz9evpzHiJpAZig/featured

#732710 - 09/26/22 11:45 AM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: Power consumption in MacBook [Re: mrgeeze]
Bob Walker Offline

Again, thanks for the response. MacBook system info:

CPU: 2.3 GHz Dual-Core Intel i5
Memory: 8GB 2133MHz LPDDR3
Disc: 250GB Flash Storage.

However, my many years in IT Systems Analysis indicates to me that when dozens of applications are running on a system, and one of them uses 5 times as many resources as any other app, the problem lies in the application, not in the OS.

This morning my battery was at 80% after not being plugged in all night. I started Biab 3 hours ago, haven't even used it or loaded a song, and the battery is now at 28% (and dropping as I write this), and it is consistently using ~17% of the CPU doing nothing.

However, it appears that no one else is experiencing this, which was one of the purposes of this post, so I'll carry on as is. I'll just need to keep it plugged in when using biab.
Thanks.
(PS. Battery went from 29% to 20% during this writing)

#732712 - 09/26/22 01:02 PM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: Power consumption in MacBook [Re: Bob Walker]
Loc: Hudson Valley & Lake George NY
Matt Finley Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Hudson Valley & Lake George NY
I have no knowledge of a MacBook but about your IT comment (me, too), I think it’s surprising how much in computer resources BIAB uses. Its functions are unique and it really isn’t comparable to any other digital audio program I’ve used.
BIAB 2022 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 5 Pro, Swam horns, Audition, Notion 7; Win 10 64 Pro. Hardware: custom i7 16 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & A5X monitors

PG Music News
It's Time To Update Your Band-in-a-Box® 2022!

Using Band-in-a-Box® 2022 for Windows? Pop over to our support page and download your free update today! We've added new and improved RealTracks content (for your existing RealTracks) and many other enhancements requested by program users, and included the latest DAW Plugin with updated render settings, the ability to exclude tracks from MCC, and more! While you're there, don't forget to update your RealBand 2022!

Band-in-a-Box® 2022 for Mac users will want to download their update too! It includes additional support for audio interfaces for recording audio, a filter for the RealDrums picker for showing RealDrums with Drum stems, adds the newest DAW Plugin, and addresses many user suggestions.

Learn more and download Band-in-a-Box® 2022 for Windows Build 926.

Learn more and download Band-in-a-Box® 2022 for Mac Build 609.

Happy Canadian Thanksgiving! (October 10)

Monday, October 10th is Canadian Thanksgiving!

Our Holiday schedule that day is:
Customer Service: 8:00AM to 4:00PM PDT

We will be back to our regular schedule Tuesday, October 11th.

Update Your RealBand 2022 Today!

With RealBand 2022 Build 5, dragging a section of audio now updates the From/Thru display, keyboard shortcuts have been added to the Tracks & Audio Edit Windows, you can save MIDI tracks to a Utility Track with an MGU or SGU file, and more!

Read the full list of RealBand 2022 updates and download now.

The XPro & Xtra Styles PAKs Special Ends September 30th!

Amp up your Band-in-a-Box® 2022 experience when you add XPro and Xtra Styles PAKs... on sale until September 30th!

XPro Styles PAKs are styles that work with any version (Pro, MegaPAK, UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition) of Band-in-a-Box® 2022 (or higher). We offer 3 PAKs, and each PAK includes over 100 styles!

Xtra Styles PAKs are styles that work with the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition of Band-in-a-Box® 2022 (or higher). There are 13 PAKs available, with over 100 styles in each PAK!

They're all on sale only September 30th!
Each PAK can be purchased for $29 (reg. $49)... Order XPro Styles PAKS | Order Xtra Styles PAKs

How to: Using the New Download and Install Manager to Install on macOS

In this video we show you how to use the new Band-in-a-Box® Download And Install Manager to install Band-in-a-Box® 2022 on macOS: Installing Band-in-a-Box® On macOS Using The New Download And Install Manager

Learn more about this feature.

Special Offer! XPro Styles PAKs on sale until September 30, 2022!

XPro Styles PAKs 1-3 offers 300 more RealStyles to supercharge your Band-in-a-Box® 2022 Pro, MegaPAK, UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition! All of these styles are professionally mixed and include genres like jazz, country, bluegrass, pop, singer/songwriter, rock, and more. For you Pro and MegaPAK users, the XPro Styles PAK 3 also includes 35 additional RealTracks (a $200+ value) that are not included with the Band-in-a-Box® 2022 Pro or MegaPAK. XPro Styles PAKs are only $29 each (reg $49) until September 30th!

Learn more about XPro Styles PAKs 1-3 for Windows and for Mac.

Note: XPro Styles PAKs work with ANY Band-in-a-Box® 2022 Pro, MegaPAK, UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition.

Forum Stats
36572 Members
64 Forums
75818 Topics
668271 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
Basobokwe124, Alpramir, Saxonole, raxofov, daniolmu

36572 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
AudioTrack 148
TuneMonger 88