Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#732719 09/26/22 11:13 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
We wish the absolute best to our Florida friends and all others regarding Hurricane Ian.

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
I'll second that. Let's hope for the best and pledge our help if it should come to that.

Link: www.soundcloud.com/ed_shaw (Feel Free to Use)
https://drooble.com/edward.shaw/hymn/index.htm
Biab for WIN 2020 -- Win 10 64bit -- Reaper/Audacity
Zoom R-16 -- Tascam DP-03-SD -- SoundTap -- Crescendo --
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Good luck! Especially those in the Tampa/St. Pete area.

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
+1, I agree!

https://soundcloud.com/user-646279677
BiaB 2024 Windows
For me there’s no better place in the band than to have one leg in the harmony world and the other in the percussive. Thank you Paul Tutmarc and Leo Fender.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I'm on the East Coast, across from Tampa. Right now, they are expecting only 60-70mph winds here, so it shouldn't be a big problem for me.

We might lose power. I have gas for the generator (we have well water, so without electricity, we have no water), LED lights, emergency crank/solar/battery radio.

I have food in the pantry, will fill up the bathtub so I cal flush the toilet, store drinking water in glass jugs (formerly cheap wine bottles - hey - it was a sacrifice).

I put storm panels on the picture window, dropped the two storm awnings that are difficult to drop, and for the rest of the windows, it's a wait-and-see attitude.

The prep is in case the storm turns. I'll drop the rest of the awnings to keep the wind from blowing them off the house, in case it gets worse. We've had 60mph winds in some of our summer thunderstorms.

My house was built in 1950, before the developers watered down the building codes for their convenience and profit, I'm 32' above sea level, so I should be fine.

I've weathered every hurricane since Donna in 1960 so I know what to do. The highest winds I've been in were 210 mph gusts.

On the West Coast, they are in for a ride. Thanks to global warming and our excessive abuse of fossil fuels, the hurricanes are getting stronger and stronger.

I do hope everyone in its path prepares, even if it includes going to a shelter or evacuating. And I wish everyone in its path, good luck because we all need a dose of that.

Notes ♫

Last edited by Notes Norton; 09/27/22 04:51 AM.

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Notes Norton
I'm 32' above sea level, so I should be fine.

32'??? I guess we'll be safe here in northeast Ohio at 1004'! LOL!!

Which of the annual hurricanes have been the worst you encountered? I almost moved to Clearwater in 2004. I went down there on July 1st. I had never been to Florida between March and October so I never saw the real hot season. When I got there and saw the place I was going to rent, and then saw my dog panting like she was at 10am in already 94 degree humidity filled heat I said "Nope" and drove right back up here. About 6 weeks later Charley came through and eliminated the apartment complex I was going to be living in. When I read that I immediately thought about the possibility that I might have been out working and my dog be home alone to go through that and maybe die without me being there. That was the minute I decided that I wanted no part of Florida. I will visit my cousin in St Augustine in late fall (We need to do more of that before one of us dies) but I'd rather deal with the chance of one bad snowfall up here every winter than weather like Florida gets EVERY year.

Button up and be safe Notes!

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Hey Bob,
Here's wishing you and everyone else safe passage thru this hurricane.
Personally I think we should start considering seeding the upper atmosphere with reflecting particles to reflect some of the sun's energy. We're just moving too slow on reducing greenhouse gas emmisions. We'll probably get it wrong at first, but the status quo is making safe living for millions less and less probable.

Regarding water. Those heavyduty plastic garbage cans work well. A pair of them will give you 60 gallons and they can be used for other things when not needed for toilet water storage.

We've been considering a solar/crank emergency radio.
How do you like yours?

https://soundcloud.com/user-646279677
BiaB 2024 Windows
For me there’s no better place in the band than to have one leg in the harmony world and the other in the percussive. Thank you Paul Tutmarc and Leo Fender.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Personally, the worst hurricane I encountered was actually a trio, Frances, Jeanne and T.S. Ivan.

I forget which one, Frances or Jeanne, we were in the eye wall for about 12 hours. It came from the east just below us, so we got the northern part of the eye wall. It curved north as if we were the pivot, so we got the eastern part of the eye wall, wobbled a bit so we got the eye for a few minutes, and then veered to the northeast so we got the southern part of the eye wall. The eye wall are the most intense winds.

We were in the eye of the other hurricane as well

I live on a short dead end street of a 15-mile road that goes alongside of a lagoon (Indian River). Most of the lots are 50+ acres, and there are fewer than a half dozen little dead end spurs. My lot is 1/2 acre and we jokingly call our little section "The servant's quarters."

TS Ivan was the wettest of the 3 consecutive storms by far, and it washed out a few sections of the road along the lagoon. We had to drive across people's lots to get to and from anywhere.

The worst part of it for us was losing power for 10 days after both hurricanes. Only a few after Ivan. The power company gets the most people they can on first (rightfully so) so a street with huge lots and only a few short side streets gets restored last.

We have a water well, in the first storm my next door neighbor lost prime so we ran a hose to his house. Second one, we lost prime and he returned the favor. The benefit was taking a shower in the late afternoon, the sunlight heated the hose so I got warm water (without power the water heater doesn't work). Our street was crisscrossed with hoses and extension cords.

We lost some tree limbs, and the mast that feeds the power to our house came loose and needed to be repaired. Our water softener got destroyed. I think a tree limb must have hit it and toppled it over.

I've weathered every storm since Donna in 1960.

I know how to prepare, and I know what kind of house to buy, and where to buy it.

The out-of-state developers sell a lot of frame houses with asphalt shingle roofs. I'd never live in one. The big bad wolf can blow those stick houses down.

They build new developments on low ground that wants to return to swamp land. I will only live on the eastern sand ridge. The water damage is worse than the wind damage.

A lot of people want to live on the barrier islands, and I'd like to live that close to the ocean myself. But when I was a child, I saw about 1/4 mile of barrier island disappear in a hurricane. They tried to dredge sand back, but the new sand just washed away in the tides. It's gone forever.

Hurricanes are getting worse, thanks to our abuse of fossil fuels. But I still feel safer hunkered down in my house than I would on the road with all those crazy drivers if I evacuated.

Notes ♫

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Bass Thumper
<...snip...>
Personally I think we should start considering seeding the upper atmosphere with reflecting particles to reflect some of the sun's energy. <...>

We've been considering a solar/crank emergency radio.
How do you like yours?

I like my radio OK. It an Epica brand and it'll run on solar, crank and cells. I've made sure all my AA and AAA rechargeable cells are charged.

The way I see the problem with seeding the clouds, although I think it would work fine, is that there is no way to make a profit from that, and corporate world will not do anything if it won't make the stock go up.

But there things we can do. Here are a few:

• Paint our roofs white. That would reflect more than seeding the clouds would do, but nobody seems to care (I did mine)
  • Get rid of those gas-guzzling 1.5 to 2.5-ton, 4-door pickup trucks that haul nothing heavier than a week's worth of groceries
  • Quit mowing the lawn, as 10% of the carbon in the air comes from mowers. I planted shade trees, and put ferns under them, and re-wilded a meadow in the back 1/4 acre of my 1/2 acre lot.
  • Plant trees. I put about 30 native trees, plus a couple of established, non-invasive exotics on my half acre 30 years ago
  • Hang your laundry outdoors. Why use energy to dry clothes when the sun will do it and sterilize them at the same time.
  • Quit using air conditioners. The AC uses energy which comes from the grid. That pollutes the air making the world hotter, which means you need to make the AC work harder which uses energy from the grid, that pollutes the air, making the world even hotter, which makes the AC works hotter etc., etc., etc.
  • Drive like you are in the historic Mobil economy run. By slow acceleration and coasting as much as I can before using the brakes, I get 100 more miles per tankful than my car is rated for.
  • Consume less. Know the difference between need and want

There is plenty more we can do, but that's a good start.

Ian is drifting again, and now they are predicting 70-80 mph winds where I live. So tonight I'll drop the rest of the storm awnings. I'd guess tomorrow afternoon's outdoor gig is cancelled. That'll cost me money, frown and probably Thursday's as well.

And when the storm is over, cleanup will be a necessary PITA.

But there is nothing we can do except deal with it. We could curse mother nature all we want and it won't change anything.

Good luck to all in the path. After you prepare, the rest is luck.

Of all the natural disasters, tornadoes, landslides, tsunamis, earthquakes, avalanches, floods, dust storms, I'll take hurricanes. We know when they are coming, and if we know how to prepare it's survivable unless you are extremely unlucky.

Notes ♫

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Moved 500 cows to higher ground. The Myakka ranch is only about thirty miles from the gulf. Not good. Could get pretty high winds and lots of rain. The other ranch is 90 miles inland. I don't expect many problems there.

The last big hurricane in Tampa was 1921. Looks like the storm is going to miss Tampa but the surge may still be pretty bad. I may take a direct hit at the ranch. The cows will likely survive as there is high ground.

My business partner went to the Keys to take the boat out of the water. I would have had to drive 280 miles one way.

Hurricanes are a fact of life in Florida. We have insurance but every time we have a hurricane it cost a least 100 to 300 thousand to repair the farm in Homestead. It's just part of the cost of doing business here in south Florida.

Nothing to do but just deal with it and hope you don't get hurt in the process.

Billy

New location, new environment, new music coming soon

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Well, It's drifting farther south again, and getting stronger and bigger. I've done all the prep and shouldn't get the worst winds, so unless I'm extremely unlucky, I should be OK.

The hotel we play at is full of Tampa escapees, the owner wants us to play and if he can figure out a way for us to play and stay dry, we'll be happy to do so.

Good luck to all in a more direct path than we are.

Notes ♫

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Well, just stay safe y'all frown

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
You are going to drive into the eye of a hurricane FOR A GIG?????

Last edited by eddie1261; 09/28/22 06:06 AM.

2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I've been watching another YT poster who has taken leave from his normal job and has been preparing his property for the past two days. He is very serious about what might be arriving. Everything he can tie down has been tied down, shutters screwed to windows and doors. Heavy vehicles, trucks etc parked in a circle around smaller outdoor buildings, sheds etc for protection. Just hope any issues are minimal.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Firstly we have forum members on the Fl west coast. So even more best wishes to them and all Floridians.

Secondly a little perspective. Our homestead is 250 miles inland from the gulf and the “remnants” of Hurricane Irma took down multiple 100 year old trees on our property. It’s hard to imagine what some folks are going to experience with a near Cat 5 landing.

Bud

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
This one is going to be a Biggie, so to my Fl PG friends do what you have to do to keep safe.
Coincidentally I have family currently vacationing in central Florida at 'Villages' resort, having just left Longboat Key which looks like its going to get a battering.
Hold tight everyone. Take care and keep safe
Bests
Ian

Old Guys Rule.The older I get,the better I was!
BB2023 ULTRA, 1013, Win 7 and 10

ALL TRACKS - https://app.box.com/s/501rnzrbadng1elvi45hbf7y08kl5oxp
SOUNDCLOUD-tracks using BB-
http://soundcloud.com/sixchannel
Videos-
https://youtube.com/user/Sixchannel1
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Center of the eye has officially made landfall....

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Stay safe those affected.

Tony

HP i7-4770 16GB 1TB SSD, Win 10 Home,
Focusrite 2i2 3rd Gen, Launchkey 61, Maton CW80, Telecaster, Ovation Elite TX, Yamaha Pacifica 612
BB 2022(912) RB 2022(2), CakeWalk, Reaper 6, Audacity, Melodyne 5 Editor, Izotope Music Production Suite 4.1
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: eddie1261
You are going to drive into the eye of a hurricane FOR A GIG?????

We're not getting the eye, it's coming in on the west coast and we're on the east. We're over 130 miles from where it made landfall.

I've been in every hurricane since Donna in 1960, so I know when to duck and hide and when I don't need to.

Ian is going diagonally N.E. across the state, so its closest approach to us will be tomorrow.

The winds here today didn't top 50mph, which a typical summer thunderstorm produces.

But the owner couldn't figure out how to keep us dry so he told us to take the day off.

The hotel is full of Tampa escapees, so it would have been fun to play. It would have been a hurricane party. But we can't have our gear get wet.

Tomorrow the winds are supposed to get stronger, so I doubt we'll be working.

I've seen some pictures from Ft. Meyers, and things look bad. Storm surge reaching the second floor of buildings. Waterfront buildings always get the worst of the storm, followed by low-lying land that wants to return to swamp.

And the media always finds the worst disasters to report.

This is the main reason why I won't live either on the barrier island or anywhere inland except the eastern sand ridge. I'm 32' high and if we have a 32' storm surge, we are all going to be wiped out.

Still, I feel badly for the people, as most of them don't have decades of living in Florida experience, and I must admit, I'd too love to live on the water, but I know better. The Realtor won't tell the new folks that they are moving into a danger zone.

I hope nobody loses their lives. Property can be replaced.

When this is over, I'll do what I can to help.

Notes ♫

Last edited by Notes Norton; 09/28/22 02:51 PM.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I guess the trade off to living up north at 1000' is the 28 inches of snow we get overnight twice every winter.

Hope you come up to Herbstock in spring!!

2. Send it to us.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,582
Posts734,694
Members38,500
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai
38,499 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 198