Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
We didn't get the worst of it. It's not over yet, but peak gusts today are predicted to only be in the low 80mph zone and sustained winds in the 40s.

A couple of tree branches and a lot of palm fronds are down. We got lucky.

If there are any forumites on the West Coast, please check in.

Notes ♫

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
I just spent some time looking at photo accounts from the west side. Wow. Water at shoulder level in some places. 2 million without power. Boats everywhere. Small planes turned over on top of other planes. I have checked in on some cousins I have in the Tampa area and waiting to hear back.

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I’ve heard from a friend and forum member in the Tampa area and they are relatively OK. The revers surge actually drained the bay rather than flooding it based on wind direction.

Still waiting to hear from a friend and forum member near Naples where there was a massive record breaking surge.

Edit: Just heard from him and only light damage. Great!

Again best to them and all who are affected.

Bud

Last edited by Janice & Bud; 09/29/22 06:01 AM.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Eye has officially moved into the Atlantic ocean. They are anticipating the storm to change back to a hurricane soon. East coast of Florida still in for hours of rain.

Sanibel Island on the west coast, off Ft. Myers.... the hurricane destroyed the highway going through the island. It's amazing to see how easily it lifted 6 inch thick chunks of pavement and just tossed them about like nothing. For residents there, it appears that boats will be the only way in and out for a while.

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Notes Norton

[list]
[*]Paint our roofs white. That would reflect more than seeding the clouds would do, but nobody seems to care (I did mine)

Based on my observations, industry and world governments got us into this warming mess and they will have to get us out of it. Individual citizen efforts are worthy but we need much more than that to fix this problem. I'm not proposing seeding the clouds, but I am suggesting the US and other countries research the delivery of suspended, reflecting particles into the strastosphere, far above the clouds to cool the planet, similar to that caused by some volcanic eruptions. Are there downside risks to geo-engineering? You bet, a possible reduction in agricultural output is one. But look at what's happening around the planet. If we think things are bad now, wait until positive feedback loops begin to kick in.

BTW, I have a sister in Tampa and she reports rain and wind but no power outages or massive flooding. She expects to be back to work tomorrow. Fort Myers is another story.

https://soundcloud.com/user-646279677
BiaB 2024 Windows
For me there’s no better place in the band than to have one leg in the harmony world and the other in the percussive. Thank you Paul Tutmarc and Leo Fender.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I've just been watching some footage of the devastation. It boggles my mind just how much damage and absolute despair the hurricane is creating.

My thoughts are with everyone having to cope with this nightmare.

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Just a quick note. Running on generator power. 140 MPH wind at the ranch. All the cows survived. Next ranch over lost many cows. Roof is messed up but I got it covered. Things are under control at the ranch. Ranch forman is stuck there because of continuing rising water. I can not get back to the ranch due to rising water and road closures.

The rising water from the run off is flooding houses near me and will continue for at least two or three days. The hurricane damage is far from over.

People are still drowning in their houses as of 10/1/2022.

The power may not be back on for days or possibly weeks. Pumping well water with generators.

The good news is none of my people have gotten killed.

Thousands of people are displaced and that is not limited to the coastal areas. The flooding is intense in the center of the state and rising as we speak.

Limited fuel, cash only, limited supplies of all types. Water is very difficult or impossible to find around here due to the inability to re-supply by truck.

My UPS does not like my generator...lol

We will do what we can to help others around us who are in worse condition than us.

Billy

New location, new environment, new music coming soon

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Planobilly

The good news is none of my people have gotten killed.
Billy

NBC News is reporting at least 34 storm related deaths and a hospital in Ft Myers is facing a sanitation crisis due to no running water.

Billy, we're wishing you and all Floridians the best . . . stay safe.

BiaB 2024 Windows
For me there’s no better place in the band than to have one leg in the harmony world and the other in the percussive. Thank you Paul Tutmarc and Leo Fender.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Planobilly
<...snip...>
The good news is none of my people have gotten killed.<...>

Glad you and your people are OK, Billy.

We lucked out here. I'm on high ground, so I didn't get any flooding, miraculously, my power never went off, and zero damage to my house.

Clean-up is almost done. Hundreds of palm fronds, and small tree branches to pick up pile for the county trash pickup. Plus storm awnings up, storm shutters down, and neighbors all checked on. Everyone else on my little dead-end street is OK.

So it's time to donate some blood and send a check to the Red Cross.

Notes ♫

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Thanks for the updates Billy & Notes. We have been closely watching the situation and fully understand the devastation that has been caused. Glad you are all safe.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Thanks, guys

The power just came back on at the new house here in Sebring. Most of the business area is still out of power. We are glad to have the AC and hot water heater working but I feel for the people who can not open their stores.

Still no power at the ranch. The road is still closed. I can get there (I think) by driving an extra 150 miles.

My neighbors near the ranch came over today with three more chainsaws and have cut most of the trees out of the fence that is down. That is one of the benefits of living in the country.

Many people are still in shock. This may well be the most devastating and costly hurricane in US history.

I have been through several but I never saw anything like this. Even Andrew was not this bad because it was confined to a pretty small area.

Billy

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
"I have been through several but I never saw anything like this. Even Andrew was not this bad because it was confined to a pretty small area."

Really? Were you even there? I WAS. At GROUND ZERO, where the eye came ashore, just south of Cutler Ridge.

Incredible.

Last edited by 90 dB; 10/02/22 05:19 AM.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I was in the Redlands when Andrew hit.

$27.3 billion (1992 USD)

Total fatalities 65

Hurricane Andrew damage
About 49,000 homes were destroyed and 108,000 were damaged, according to the National Weather Service. More than a million people were left without power. Thousands were homeless. Andrew caused a then-record $26.5 billion in damage, the Miami Herald reported on Andrew's 25th anniversary.Aug 26, 2022

Tens of thousands of people in Florida are struggling with the devastation left behind by Hurricane Ian, one of the largest disasters to ever hit the state.

Total fatalities currently are 83 and are expected to grow

2.6 million without power

300-mile path of destruction

Orlando underwater, Arcida underwater, flood waters rising 3 days after the storm.

Andrew was a disaster of epic preparations but Ian has caused greater damage to Florida and may well be the most costly storm in US history in modern times.

Other hurricanes have had stronger winds. Other storms have killed more people. Few if any have had the geographic distribution of IAN.

Billy

Seize the moo-ment
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Donna wiped out Fort Myers Beach and had a storm surge so great that you couldn't go near the Everglades for weeks because of the stench of all the animals it killed. It was also wiped out by 3 other storms since then (including Ian).

Each hurricane in Florida gets worse because of the population growth. So the deaths and property destruction is proportional. Before Central AC, not many people wanted to live down here.

The population in the city limits of Pompano Beach, FL when I was fewer than 2,000. Now it's almost 115,000. Plus, there are scores of new cities that weren't there, and the 'wild' areas of Broward County are now all housing developments.

I was in the eye wall of either Frances or Jeanne for over 12 hours as it stalled and slowly turned to the North. The barrier islands here took a big hit.

The worst hurricane on record is the one that affects you, personally, the worst.

Notes ♫

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Looking back is important but I'd say looking forward is more so.

Is anyone seriously discussing how Florida (and other States for that matter) can harden themselves against future storms?

The photo below seems to indicate a business as usual approach of continuing to string power lines overhead instead of underground.

Similar question for strengthening building codes particularly for relatively flimsy manufactured homes and flood protections.

Or are elected officials thinking this will be the last Cat 4 storm that rolls in off the coast?

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Screenshot 41.jpg (107.96 KB, 121 downloads)

BiaB 2024 Windows
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
What people don't realize or care much about is the fact that we are moving food and water by small boat near the ranch due to flooding on the river here today. We don't depend on the state to do anything. We take care of the people around us.

Why would I build a hurricane-proof house on the beach when I can get the rest of the people who live inland to pay to fix things after a hurricane? Do you think your homeowner's insurance will be the same price next year?

We have come to demand cradle-to-grave protection from the government and refuse to take responsibility for ourselves.

The good news...except for having to provide my own electrical power, I am pretty much back to normal.

Best wishes to everyone who is still suffering from this storm.

Billy

Seize the moo-ment
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Many of those still suffering are elderly and/or with minimal resources and hope. As we all assuredly know there's another world out there of people living on the margin and I doubt that they are particularly interested at this moment in where help might come from ... just bring it on. So reiterating my thoughts when I initiated this thread I wish all the best -- to those who lost all and those who are going through extremely tough times yet can see recovery down the pike.

I reflect on the thousands of workers needed to keep the condos going, gas station workers, grocery store employees and on and on. Many likely lost their homes and jobs.

As Notes mentioned it's a good time to consider donating and the Red Cross, as he mentioned, is always, IMHO, a fine and well vetted option.

J&B

Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
I will say that FPL hardened their infrastructure over the last several years such that no FPL Owned distribution equipment suffered damage from Ian. In less than a week they had restored almost 98% of their customers. There are a few hundred utility companies in Florida, though, so obviously everyone is not so lucky. But they all cooperate when it comes to storm restoration. About 65000 people staged and ready before the storm landed.
Underground utilities are fine, but you still have to have substations and distribution centers that cannot be buried and that is where the money goes to harden the system. 200mph poles for the major distribution, smart metering so outages can be pinpointed immediately. The goal of course is to restore as many as possible as fast as possible, and certain distribution gets priority, hospital zones, etc.

Caveat, I work in the electric utility industry.

My wife asked if I had seen the dog bowl. I told her I didn't even know he could.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Not too long ago, FPL buzzed the lines with a drone, and sent out tree trimming contractors to trim the limbs that might take the power lines down during a storm. The crew that trimmed the trees on my lot were friendly courteous, professional, and they trimmed the problem branches without butchering the trees.

I've also noticed a lot of wood poles along the Indian River Lagoon being replaced with concrete poles. I'm sure the concrete poles stand up to the wind better.

It seems the hard work and care paid off. We didn't even lose power in this storm, although we didn't get the most intense winds either.

I know when those meters aren't spinning, you aren't making any money, and we are spending money feeding a gas generator, so it was a win-win endeavor.

"Thank you", to FPL for your foresight.

Notes ♫

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Duke Energy services my area up here. They did a good job of restoring power for me in several locations. The ranch in Arcadia got hit hard and we had power back in 5 or 6 days. 4 or 5 days here in Sebring. One of the houses on the ranch, where the foreman lives got messed up pretty badly. The one I live in had very little damage. We think we had wind gusts up around 140 MPH.

Hospitals, police, fire and emergency facilities, water and sanitary authorities, nursing homes and assisted living facilities, etc should and do come first to get power restored.

The next step is to restore power to the largest amount of people. In other words, if 200 thousand people have lost power due to a few simple faults, the power companies will go there first. This is logical for both the power company and the client.

It is obviously heartbreaking to see people's homes destroyed in hurricanes and forest fires. I also think people should be able to build wherever they want to. I don't think the rest of us should have to pay to have their property repaired or risk our lives to rescue them when they were told to evacuate. And obviously, there are exceptions to everything.

This is sort of like the people who buy a house near the end of an airport runway and then try their best to stop the aircraft noise.

People should be prepared for hurricanes who live where they occur. What irritates me is people calling FEMA on their $1300 cell phones asking for a generator who have been living in a hurricane/flood zone for years.

We are pretty well prepared with several generators, a well, a septic system, fuel/drinking water, and enough food to feed us and all our neighbors. Plus I really can shoot deer off the front porch but I would have to be starving to do that. I just don't like killing animals. I can if I need to and every year around Thanksgiving I kill a pig and roast it. Even that is beginning to make me feel a bit uncomfortable.

Even now we are still helping the people who live around us...that's just what ranchers and country people do, even in today's world.

The roofers are working near me and the Tejana music is alive and well.

Billy

Seize the moo-ment
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,395
Posts732,501
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195