Print Thread
Go To
Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production
J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
this is the only forum i'm on , on the net and i need an external usb dock recommendation with a mixture of added usb ports ie...

..includes 2 ports to install 2 x m2 'chewing gum' ssd's.
..5 x usb 3 ports that can also default to usb 2 for slower usb 2 devices.

or maybe 2 hubs/docks ??

what are others useing in this age of 'too few ports on host computers' whether laptops or desktops.

ideally i would like something that not only works on pc's but also (as i'm getting very excited about the possibility of apple m2 processors in a mini.) on macs.
(i figure as apple goes from m1 to m2 to m3 to mn etc etc there will be deals if one stays back a generation.)

any ideas ?

happiness.

om

New Song "PRETTY GIRL" for my wife...Dec 2023
(my vocs....mixed for good earbuds.)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs/prettygirlrbfinalcalfsongsdec2023mp3
(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
Expert
Online Content
Expert
Originally Posted By: justanoldmuso
... usb 3 ports that can also default to usb 2 for slower usb 2 devices.

All USB hosts and hubs have to work with the lower specification devices. It's one of the things that makes writing software for USB "fun".

I would suggest that any USB 3.x hub with sufficient ports should be fine. If you want five ports, you'll likely have to buy a 7-port hub with external power, but you'll likely want external power anyway if you're using 3 USB 3.x devices.

Beyond that I doubt it matters that much whose you buy, as they likely all use an off-the-shelf chip-set anyway. I've designed a couple of USB 2.0 hubs and I just used TI parts. The most likely places to cut costs are the plastics and the power supply.

Jazz relative beginner, starting at a much older age than was helpful.
Kawai MP6, Korg M50, Ui24R, Saffire Pro 40.
AVL:MXE Linux; Windows 11; Win8.1: Scarletts
BIAB2022 UltraPAK, Reaper, a bunch of stuff.
Veteran
Veteran
As Gordon said it really doesn't matter what brand you purchase. Whatever you choose make sure that it has an external power supply. In our house we have 6 Anker powered USB hubs with three on my music computer. I have had problems with hubs without power supplies, even a three non powered hub.

I highly recommend Anker powered USB hubs. This is what I am using:

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-7-Port-Adapter-Charging-iPhone/dp/B014ZQ07NE/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2Y001NI4KN01E&keywords=anker+Powered+Usb+Hub&qid=1666207951&qu=eyJxc2MiOiIzLjk0IiwicXNhIjoiMy4xMiIsInFzcCI6IjMuMDAifQ%3D%3D&sprefix=anker+powered+usb+hub%2Caps%2C248&sr=8-3

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Expert
Expert
I don't believe that what you specify exists. There are plenty of USB 3.2 Gen 2 external storage boxes but none I know also function as hubs. OTOH, USB 3.2 Gen 2 over USB-C hubs are cheap.

Get the largest single m2 blade you can afford. Multiple blades are slower, even if configured RAID 0. On the other hand, unless Thunderbolt is an issue, slow blades such as the inexpensive Crucial P2 (rated 2000MB/s) are faster than the 1500MB/s speed limit imposed by USB 3.2 Gen 2. You're limited by 4 Lane imposed PCIe 3 x4 so anything faster is a waste of money.

Thunderbolt 3/4 has a maximum speed of 2800MB/s over the 4 Lanes but if your PC does not have TB3 or 4, again, it doesn't matter. Again, it's a 4 Lane pipe and multiple blades are slower than a large single.

Two blades in a single enclosure set up JBOD or RAID 1 run at less than half the speed as each uses only 2 lanes. 4 blades each use a single lane running at less than 1/4 speed. RAID 0 combines multiple drives so that they appear as one, of course, and recovers much of the speed in the process but due to those darned laws of physics, does not recover all. It's never as fast as a single—ever.

So, all those PCIe4 x6 m2 blades you see can realize those speeds only in a PCIe 4 x6 lane enclosure. Some expensive PCs have these inside as does the Mac Studio (only Apple product that does, so far). Though such SSDs are backward compatible, there is no USB or Thunderbolt external capable of this kind of speed. Perhaps TB5 and USB 5 someday.

BIAB 2023 Audiophile, 24/60 Core M2 Mac Studio Ultra/8TB/192GB Sonoma, M1 MBAir, 2012 MBP
Digital Performer 11, LogicPro
Finale27.4, Dorico5, Encore5, SmartScorePro64, Notion6, Overture5
J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
All.

thanks for kindly responding.

the problem being not only are computer manufacturers offering limited numbers of usb ports in their products but also limited numbers of internal drive slots or often only one m2…thus forcing an external solution.

for example it used to be one used to be able to install several ssd's in a desktop.

thus what i'm grappling with is what external hub//dock or combo would give the fastest throughput to the host pc or mac.
eg would this work ?

viz a dock/enclosure eg orico that takes 2 m2/nvme eg 'gum' drives into >> the anker product mario cites into >> the host pc or mac ?

best
om

(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
Expert
Expert
I don't see a single enclosure/hub on the Orico site. Show a link and I'll look at it.

Quote:
thus what i'm grappling with is what external hub//dock

I answered that already but without knowing the host computer, I can't make a specific recommendation.

Quote:
the anker product mario cites into >> the host pc or mac ?

Anker 7-Port USB 3.0 Data Hub with 36W Power Adapter bla, bla, bla…

This is a USB 3 hub only—the 36W charging ports are 12W x3 and don't pass data very well. I have the exact model sitting on my desktop and it's good. Again, need to know the host computer.

I still have never seen an m2 dock/usb hub combo.

BIAB 2023 Audiophile, 24/60 Core M2 Mac Studio Ultra/8TB/192GB Sonoma, M1 MBAir, 2012 MBP
J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
Mike.

heres the dual orico m2 enclosure.

https://www.orico.cc/us/product/detail/7843.html

happiness

om

Veteran
Veteran
Was nothing resolved?
Threads that tease at offering something useful but end up hanging in the air are a form of click bait.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
All.

i was waiting to see if anyone else had any ideas...
and still researching my need all this week.

i agree with mike , after too much googling, this week what i want i dont think exists.

however one possible way to add more m2 ssd's to a rig to overcome the limitations of pc's that only allow one internal ssd is the following ??

one of these into a powered usb port extender ? eg marios anker or another usb extender ?
then usb extender into host pc or i guess one could direct hook into a usb port on host pc if a user had a spare one ?

https://www.amazon.ca/Docking-Tool-Free-Enclosure-duplicator-Function/dp/B08LPDTZGQ?th=1

there are various on amazon.
i guess another way is to put each ssd into its own enclosure etc....but that means taking up 2 usb ports on the usb multi port extender.

anyone got anymore ideas ? please post them

ymmv etc etc

om

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 10/23/22 03:26 AM.

Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: justanoldmuso
Mike.

heres the dual orico m2 enclosure.

https://www.orico.cc/us/product/detail/7843.html

happiness

om

I've been out of touch for over a week but am back.

The 1000 claimed speed is USB 3.1 (aka 3.2 Gen 2) which is pretty slow these days. In fact, it's barely faster than a pair of 2.5" SATA III SSDs configured RAID 0. If used with a pair if m2 blades not configured RAID 0, the speed of each one drops to less than 50% of the maximum. One blade only will use both lanes and maximize speed.

If storage capacity is the goal and not speed, this doesn't look bad. Likewise, if the host computer is rated USB 3.1 (oops, I mean 3.2 Gen 2 — where are my manners?), then spending more for speed is a waste of money.

This would be a good match:
Crucial P3

The only way to maximize its speed is to mount it internally on a PCIe 3 x4 bus. Externally, you are limited by your housing and your PC's USB or Thunderbolt bus.

Expert
Expert
I just saw that other thread on your new PC. Congrats.

The best thing to do is ignore the desire for an m2 housing. With that empty slot, you don't need it. If you need more storage, slap one of those Crucial P3s in there—over 3.5x faster than any external and you have an internal fan.

All of your USB ports are USB 3.0. Type A or Type C doesn't matter at all—they're just ports, not protocols. Anything you hook up to them runs at USB 3 or slower which is fine. This assumes a USB 3 type A or USB-C cable that supports USB 3. Read the fine print — any cable rated 480mb is really USB 2.

That Anker hub is good. As I posted earlier, I have the same one on my desk.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,401
Posts732,562
Members38,444
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Descoward, danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J
38,443 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200