Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#737850 11/08/22 09:36 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
SoundCloud: The Colors Of Nature (audio)
YouTube: The Colors Of Nature (video)

I had composed chords and melody for this song five years ago but hadn't written any lyrics and there was no form yet. This year there was an Autumn song contest on a local forum, and I felt this song had suitable Autumn mood, I kept the working title and wrote the lyrics inspired by the title and the beauty of nature during early October days. I have tens of unfinished songs just waiting to be finished, luckily BIAB is a great sketch pad and an archive for them smile

You may get into the mood also by watching the video (I have captured all animal video clips except the bear and humans during the last two years here on my walking trips).

I originally planned to use Natalie for vocals, but at the same time I had acquired also Weina and I had both of them on different tracks. Accidentally, I had left Weina's voice one octave higher than Natalie's on the first verse and when I heard Weina singing, I immediately fell in love with her voice and selected her as the lead singer. She sounded even better than I could imagine a real vocalist to sing. I can't hear anything artificial in her voice, please tell me if you hear. And she sounded that good without any modification on her voice settings, Natalie seemed to need modifications on her vibrato settings. Of course, I had to work hard on the timing of notes, this is not an easy song to sing, but I'm happy with the end result. Still, I'm interested in hearing comments on possible fluency issues.

Natalie and Weina are singing the second voices in the choruses. By default, Synthesizer V uses la syllable for each note and when Weina and Natalie were singing together after the bridge part after the second chorus, those la-la's were so harmonious in my ears that I didn't want to write any lyrics for those notes, amazing technology that could sing a phonebook and it would sound the sweetest thing ever smile I probably will write a song for Weina in which she is singing her love to me, just because it is possible and she feels so real (similar to the movie Her...) wink I love also the Chinese color in her accent. I really hope you like her voice as much as I do smile

(BTW. this song won that contest)

RealDrums: MalletsFolkSlow8ths
RealTracks:
2474:Bass, Acoustic, Held Ev 085
3669:Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm NewAgeArp16 Ev16 090
2773:Harp, Rhythm Celtic16ths Ev16 075
3262:Cello, Rhythm CelticReelChoppingNatalie Ev16 110
3418:Jaw Harp, Rhythm FolkSw16Roots Sw16 070
3876:Tin Whistle, Low, BackgroundSoloist Folky16thsGeoff Ev 085
3381:Fiddle, BackgroundSoloist OldTimeSadBalladAndy Ev16 065

Vocals: Synthesizer V Weina (lead, 2nd voice), Synthesizer V Natalie (2nd voice, double), Synthesizer V Solaria (double)

Mixed in Cakewalk by BandLab

Lyrics:

A squirrel is caching
acorns in a tree
looks at yellow leaves
wags her tail
feels relieved and carefree.
Days are getting shorter
in the black eyes of a stoat
afterglow tells
time to put on
the white winter coat.

The colors of nature
it's time now to prepare
the spectrum of autumn
signs for a bear.
Store fat in your body
find a den, hibernate
winter is approaching
there's no time to wait.

Mushrooms woken up
their caps dyeing the ground
chlorophyll retreats
leaving orange,
red, purple hues around.
Waxwings in the rowans
they enjoy those red fruits
when berries are consumed
food becomes scarce
it's time to change the route.

The colors of nature
below a flying herd
the spectrum of autumn
signs for a bird.
Follow your instincts
spread your wings, migrate
winter is approaching
there's no time to wait.

For the colors of nature
sing la-la-la-la-la-la-la
sing la-la-la-la-la-la-la.

Fields are blood-red
soldiers are starving
how to keep warm
when there is no fuel?
Brown in boxes
shelters for homeless
the colors of nature
are sometimes cruel.

-----------------
Janne

Hear My Music:

Soundcloud
YouTube

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I can see why this won, this is an excellent song!

Great mix and instrumentation

I did not hear any artificial artifacts in the vocal

Great video!

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
This is a beautiful song, you indeed create a nice autumn mood with a nice Irish flavor, and both the instruments and the vocals support it very well.

The first verse is maybe a bit too high sung, but the rest fits Weina very well, she sounds great smile

Originally Posted By: jannesan
Of course, I had to work hard on the timing of notes, this is not an easy song to sing, but I'm happy with the end result. Still, I'm interested in hearing comments on possible fluency issues.

The timing of the notes, or more precisely, the individual syllables, is the most important (and as you said, difficult and time-consuming) part when using synthesized voices. The right vocal rhythm makes or breaks a song.
You did it well!

Making bits and bytes sound good...

Goldmania Bella - A One-Man Girlband with no fans
Listen on Spotify
Watch on YouTube
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Great job, Janne, I felt like I was listening to something by Celtic Woman. Intriguing lyrics as always and it's easy to hear how this became a contest winner. Jaw harp can be tricky, it can stick out like a sore thumb, but you tamed it admirably. Mix was a pleasure to listen to. Congratulations on winning the contest!

Windows 10, Intel Core I5 10400, 16 gig ram, Scarlett 6i6, Komplete keyboard, Sony Acid Music Studio 11, BIAB 2020 UltraPlus Pak
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Oh, yes, this is a no-doubter for the contest winner. Man, it has it all. Great feel of walking through a forest of colors with a happy-to-be-alive vibe. Love the video, too, Janne, and the way you brought each one in and out. Excellent choices for the band and the whole production. Yes, I agree that Weina is probably better than most singers on this planet. and it was a terrific decision to add then together. Such a fun song. Got my vote!!

Enjoy whatever happens!
marty

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@babumusic51
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/marty-straub
and https://soundcloud.com/babumusic-5080285
Band in a Box, Reaper, Cakewalk, Ozone 11
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Hi Janne
Wow. How cool does that sound ?
The whole song is one unit
The vocals unite so well with the song
This is a masterful work Janne !
Very great
Many greetings
Andi ;-)

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Excellent track, Janne! I also really enjoyed your video.

The vocals sound good to my ears, especially when they are both singing together.

Enjoyed!

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: MarioD
I can see why this won, this is an excellent song!

Great mix and instrumentation

I did not hear any artificial artifacts in the vocal

Great video!

Thanks Mario, I appreciate your pleasant feedback smile

Janne

Hear My Music:

Soundcloud
YouTube

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: B.D.Thomas
This is a beautiful song, you indeed create a nice autumn mood with a nice Irish flavor, and both the instruments and the vocals support it very well.

The first verse is maybe a bit too high sung, but the rest fits Weina very well, she sounds great smile

Originally Posted By: jannesan
Of course, I had to work hard on the timing of notes, this is not an easy song to sing, but I'm happy with the end result. Still, I'm interested in hearing comments on possible fluency issues.

The timing of the notes, or more precisely, the individual syllables, is the most important (and as you said, difficult and time-consuming) part when using synthesized voices. The right vocal rhythm makes or breaks a song.
You did it well!

Thanks B.D. for you kind and supportive words smile I agree that Weina's voice may get too high, but despite that it sounded so celestial and beautiful in my ears that I fell for her smile Glad you think I succeeded in timing, I have heard quite many Vocaloid/Synthesizer V songs where the notes may be correctly timed, but it just doesn't sound good when the corresponding syllables are sung.

Janne

Hear My Music:

Soundcloud
YouTube

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: TuneMonger
Great job, Janne, I felt like I was listening to something by Celtic Woman. Intriguing lyrics as always and it's easy to hear how this became a contest winner. Jaw harp can be tricky, it can stick out like a sore thumb, but you tamed it admirably. Mix was a pleasure to listen to. Congratulations on winning the contest!

Thanks TuneMonger for your congratulations and the positive feedback smile Celtic music is close to my heart so I'm glad you think the singer sounds Celtic too!

Janne

Hear My Music:

Soundcloud
YouTube

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: BabuMusic
Oh, yes, this is a no-doubter for the contest winner. Man, it has it all. Great feel of walking through a forest of colors with a happy-to-be-alive vibe. Love the video, too, Janne, and the way you brought each one in and out. Excellent choices for the band and the whole production. Yes, I agree that Weina is probably better than most singers on this planet. and it was a terrific decision to add then together. Such a fun song. Got my vote!!

Thanks Marty, it is a big pleasure to read your kind words smile You found the essence of the song. Glad you liked Weina also, so I'm not alone with her smile

Janne

Hear My Music:

Soundcloud
YouTube

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Congratulations on the contest and we can see and hear why you won!

Those are beautiful lyrics and Weina, Natalie and Solaria live up to your praise. They sing with soul!

Lovely band and the fiddle is wonderful.

We love your video (great clips by you) and felt right at home in your woods. As we hike or bike daily we are often stopping to photograph flowers, trees, birds and other critters. Those squirrels with the tall, pointed ears gave us both big smiles.

Thoroughly enjoyed it!

J&B

User Showcase
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
what a great unique song.

it has this excellent 'middle ages' centuries ago vibe imho.

superb songwriting.

om.

New Song "PRETTY GIRL" for my wife...Dec 2023
(my vocs....mixed for good earbuds.)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs/prettygirlrbfinalcalfsongsdec2023mp3
(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Janne,

Beautiful composition.
Voices are top notch.
We understand what you mean by the Chinese colour of the accent, we noticed it too.
Lovely video too!

Rob and Anne-Marie

We are Rob Meulman and Anne-Marie Bovenkamp from The Netherlands.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1gsdNLE7_Gy8qavoOplQow/videos
http://rnam.net/

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Janne,

I can only agree with all others here. You earned two, no three, no four huge compliments on the song;
1. A very nice melody/ composition
2. Very beautiful lyrics
3. So nice vocals used here. You can't hear AI shortcomings. You have made wonderful progress on that!
4. Winning that contest, but of course you had to win that.

Oh, and almost forgot nr. 5; the very nice, entertaining video you made!

Enjoyed the song a lot. One day I might use AI / Synthesizer as well,
Hans

Hans Berkhout
(Birchwood)
https://soundcloud.com/user-296497130
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: PROJECT M
Hi Janne
Wow. How cool does that sound ?
The whole song is one unit
The vocals unite so well with the song
This is a masterful work Janne !
Very great
Many greetings
Andi ;-)

Thanks Andi, I appreciate your warmly rewarding words smile

Janne

Hear My Music:

Soundcloud
YouTube

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Excellent track, Janne! I also really enjoyed your video.

The vocals sound good to my ears, especially when they are both singing together.

Enjoyed!

Thanks Dave for your pleasant feedback smile I'm really glad you liked the vocals.

Janne

Hear My Music:

Soundcloud
YouTube

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Very lovely celtic music, Janne; interesting lyric details, a vocal right in the tradition and perfect instrumental choices.
You are doing amazing work with the synth voices; the result here is more than human!
Well done on your contest win.

Robert

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Congratulations on the contest and we can see and hear why you won!

Those are beautiful lyrics and Weina, Natalie and Solaria live up to your praise. They sing with soul!

Lovely band and the fiddle is wonderful.

We love your video (great clips by you) and felt right at home in your woods. As we hike or bike daily we are often stopping to photograph flowers, trees, birds and other critters. Those squirrels with the tall, pointed ears gave us both big smiles.

Thoroughly enjoyed it!

J&B

Thanks Janice & Bud for your congratulations and the beautiful comment smile "they sing with soul" couldn't agree more, finally AI has reached that point wink Glad you loved my video and the squirrels, I know you live close to nature, so it means a lot to me to hear about your surroundings.

Janne

Hear My Music:

Soundcloud
YouTube

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: justanoldmuso
what a great unique song.

it has this excellent 'middle ages' centuries ago vibe imho.

superb songwriting.

om.

Thanks om, I appreciate your kind words smile Glad to hear that 'middle ages' vibe is popular also during this apocalyptic age wink

Janne

Hear My Music:

Soundcloud
YouTube

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,398
Posts732,546
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199