Go To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
edshaw #727160 08/09/22 11:26 AM
Woodshedding - Learning to Play!
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: edshaw
I don't know how to add a .jpg to the comment.

You can click "File Manager" to add an image.

https://soundcloud.com/user-646279677
BiaB 2024 Windows
For me there’s no better place in the band than to have one leg in the harmony world and the other in the percussive. Thank you Paul Tutmarc and Leo Fender.
Veteran
Veteran
Bass Thumper that is how you learn my friend. I have probably discarded as many failed experiments as I have posted songs. Well I shouldn't call them failed but more like learning exercises. BiaB is an excellent tool for investigating and learning new genres, scales, leads, etc.

It is fun learning with BiaB.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
MarioD #727167 08/09/22 01:24 PM
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: MarioD
BiaB is an excellent tool for investigating and learning new genres, scales, leads, etc.

Ever watch Bob Ross on PBS with his Titanium White, Yellow Ochre and Van Dyke Brown immediately available on his palette?

Well I look at BiaB as the painter's palette for the ammeteur or pro musician. I can dab a little Asus, some B and some Bsus on my brush and paint it on my canvas . . . cooler than cool. Especially when you consider what would be involved in bringing live people together each time you want to explore something.

. . . OK, just had idea involving Prussian Blue smile . . .

BiaB 2024 Windows
For me there’s no better place in the band than to have one leg in the harmony world and the other in the percussive. Thank you Paul Tutmarc and Leo Fender.
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: Bass Thumper
BiaB is an excellent tool for investigating and learning new genres, scales, leads, etc.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Minor Scales.jpg (216.74 KB, 144 downloads)

Link: www.soundcloud.com/ed_shaw (Feel Free to Use)
https://drooble.com/edward.shaw/hymn/index.htm
Biab for WIN 2020 -- Win 10 64bit -- Reaper/Audacity
Zoom R-16 -- Tascam DP-03-SD -- SoundTap -- Crescendo --
Veteran
Veteran
When I started writing songs it was on bass guitar. I'd sort out where the bass went, the lyrics and a vague melody. A friend would match the bass with chords he liked. After I learnt an half dozen chords I played the ones I could to match the bass. When I learnt a few more chords...basically nine...I'd sketch with guitar & add bass. I learnt them becasue they were simple...Em, Am, G, D, Dm, C, Bm, F & Fm. No sharps or flats obviously and the were, for the most part, simplified three note versions of the chords. I knew nothing of keys, 5ths etc. so winged it and came up with some okay songs. A little later by ear I worked out variations of those chords and came up with things like Am7 -> D -> Dm -> Am -> C -> Em -> then A2 "resolving" to Am as the base for a song. Those any many other variations stood me in good stead until I found I needed to sing my own songs through lack of singers willing to do so - I was helped to find that A was the key for my voice, weak, thin & limited and I learnt the extra chords necessary to accommodate that, (mainly taking the open F & D shapes then moving them up n down the fret board.
With BIAB it's even easier to add nice chords to a bass progression. Work out the bass, drop what you think are the roots into the chart bars and then tweak the chords to taste. Don't feel you HAVE to follow the theory stuff...if you like where your bass is going work from it...here's more freedom that way.
I was willing to do that slow evolution across almost 50 years but I can understand someone being too impatient for that.
Enjoy the learning.

Last edited by rayc; 08/11/22 12:29 AM.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
rayc #727322 08/11/22 03:29 AM
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: rayc
.................. Don't feel you HAVE to follow the theory stuff...if you like where your bass is going work from it...here's more freedom that way.
Enjoy the learning.

I have always told my student "learn theory but don't let it get in the way of your playing. If you can't play from your heart you can't play."

Learn theory so you can practice scales, chords, etc as that will improve your play ability and possible widen your horizon; BiaB does a great job on all of that.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
rayc #727327 08/11/22 04:44 AM
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: rayc
Enjoy the learning.

That's exactly what I'm doing Ray.

And thanks for sharing a little about your journey and song writing methods. Everyone's journey is unique.
Mine started less than 7 years ago (just a fraction of your 50) when I bought my bass and a practice amp. I then started watching YouTubes on bass instruction and bought a Hal Leonard book or two. Then a couple years ago bought the entry-level version of BiaB. This allowed me to jam along with very simple backing tracks that I could create. Along the way I discovered the Ultimate Guitar website for chord sheets and then learned how to download popular songs (audio) so that I could practice them via the chord sheets. This then forced me to teach myself how to transpose since the chord sheets and audio files don't always align in the same key. Then Audacity allowed me to record myself which allowed me to better critique my playing. Studio One came along this year.

Regarding music theory. For years I noticed that rhythmically bouncing from the root to the 5th was pleasing to the ear. One of the things that the theory has given me is a partial understanding of why this is . . . the Circle of Fifths. So for grins a couple days ago, I constructed a BiaB Circle of Fifths "song" that walks around the circle from 12 O'clock to 12 O'clock. This is giving me insight I didn't have before. I believe if you run the circle backwards you move in steps of 4ths. It may be true that knowing theory is not required to play or write music, but I'm finding that the more theory I know the better. It's somehow comforting to know that musical genius' going back hundreds of years put together a coherent body of knowledge that the rest of us can take advantage of. And I'm sensing that this knowledge might be somehow based in mathematics; perhaps the purest and most useful tool man has devised.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Screenshot 33.jpg (86.24 KB, 130 downloads)

BiaB 2024 Windows
Veteran
Veteran
My Alter Ego Tater Totts posted a song called Circle of Fifths as a joke some years ago using the same trick.

smile

https://soundcloud.com/tater-totts-radio/circle-of-fifths

Circle of Fifths
By David Snyder

Performed by the Legendary Tater Totts

CH

Got a circle of fifths
Around the front yard
Got a circle of empty fifths
Around the back yard too
I’ll keep going around this
Circle of fifths
Until I drink my mind
Off of you
Got a Circle of Fifths
In every room in the house
And baby it’s the best that I can do
And I’ll keep going around this
Circle of fifths
Until I drink my mind of you

V1

Well I flunked out of school in the first grade
Cause I still couldn’t add
2 plus 2
But I didn’t need no schoolin’ that much anyways
I never got the hang of sniffing glue
But I reckon there’s good money money made in truckin’
Til you pull into the truck stop from hell
That’s where I met you
It was my first mistake
Cause I could smell the liquor in your hair

V2

Well I only got one question ‘bout the liquor stores
What time do they open in your town
You know I got to get there
Early as I can
Cause there’s a woman that kicked my heart around
I should have known when I pulled into that truck stop
I should have known when I kissed her
And got a whiff of that smell
I should have known that that woman was the devil
And she would drag me right straight down into hell

CH

Got a circle of fifths
Around the front yard
Got a circle of empty fifths
Around the back yard too
I’ll keep going around this
Circle of fifths
Until I drink my mind
Off of you
Got a Circle of Fifths
In every room in the house
And baby it’s the best that I can do
And I’ll keep going around this
Circle of fifths
Until I drink my mind of you

All Words and Music copyright 2018 by David Snyder

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: David Snyder
My Alter Ego Tater Totts posted a song called Circle of Fifths as a joke some years ago using the same trick.

Do great minds really think alike? crazy
Very clever . . .

BiaB 2024 Windows
Expert
Expert
So for grins a couple days ago, I constructed a BiaB Circle of Fifths "song" that walks around the circle from 12 O'clock to 12 O'clock.

I do something similar, though as I'm jazz-oriented I tend to use a ii-V7-I-I sequence, on the next bar, changing the I to the minor as my new ii, so I get something like this (starting in C):
Dm-G7-CMaj7-CMaj7
Cm-A7-BbMaj7-BbMaj7
Bbm...

It's particularly helpful for me as jazz tends often to follow that progression, though it will almost always break away from that somewhere.

For other types of music, a mix of I IV V or I IV V vi might be better.

Don't complicate unnecessarily, though. Don't think I'm saying "you should do this!" ... it's just somthing to think about and maybe try.

FWIW, I also quite often just improvise to standard or minor blues loop. Less thinking about the progression means more relaxed and, hopefully, more fluid and expressive.

Jazz relative beginner, starting at a much older age than was helpful.
Kawai MP6, Korg M50, Ui24R, Saffire Pro 40.
AVL:MXE Linux; Windows 11; Win8.1: Scarletts
BIAB2022 UltraPAK, Reaper, a bunch of stuff.
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Gordon Scott
I do something similar, though as I'm jazz-oriented I tend to use a ii-V7-I-I sequence

As time permits I'll try to explore some of these jazz chord progressions as (thanks to my Matt Finley Pandora station) I'm appreciating jazz more and more.

The "newbies book" is really providing a good grounding that was heretofore, missing in my knowledge.
Page 8:
From what historians can tell, by the time the ancient world was beginning to establish itself - approximately 7000 B.C. - musical instruments had already achieved a complexity in design that would be carried all the way into the present.

Many people consider ancient Greece to be the actual birthplace of music theory, because the ancient Greeks started entire schools of philosophy and science built around dissecting every aspect of music that was known then.

. . . Wait a minute! This can't be a real caveman band. Where's the bass player???

Screenshot 34.jpg (106.29 KB, 117 downloads)
Last edited by Bass Thumper; 08/13/22 06:57 AM.

BiaB 2024 Windows
Expert
Expert
Many people consider ancient Greece to be the actual birthplace of music theory, because the ancient Greeks started entire schools of philosophy and science built around dissecting every aspect of music that was known then.

Pythagoras, of course, defined the musical scale in a mathematical way, but in practice, the mathematical way doesn't actually sound right, so the scale has been tweaked a little, several times, so that it does sound right.

I once said something to someone about the "perfect fifth". His reply was there was no such thing, which made us both laugh due to those tweaks. Of course there actually is a perfect fifth, but it isn't quite what we actually play.

Curious.

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Gordon Scott
Pythagoras, of course, defined the musical scale in a mathematical way

Ahhh, Mr. Pythagoras of hypotenuse fame. Not to be hyperbolic but he didn’t engage in hyper-hyphenated hyperbole as far as I can tell. smile

But to hydroplane back to music theory, page 77 has an interesting statement:
We could write an entire encyclopedia on the different types of scales used in music from around the world , but because this book is primarily concerned with the Western tradition of music, we confine our discussion in this chapter to the two most frequently used scales: the major and minor.

Even if “an entire encyclopedia” is an exaggeration, this tells me that this body of knowledge is huge.

BiaB 2024 Windows
Expert
Expert
Even if “an entire encyclopedia” is an exaggeration, this tells me that this body of knowledge is huge.
... and yet ... I remain fascinated by Bobby McFerrin's demonstration of the pentatonic scale.

Veteran
Veteran
That is an exaggeration. The various modes and scales in Western music don’t take an encyclopedia. By that, I am not saying it’s the easiest thing to learn.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
+++ How Many Scales Are There In Music? +++

Quote:
The short answer is that there are 48 total major and minor scales. The long answer? It could be more than 200, more than 25,000 or infinity depending on the definition.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
edshaw #727728 08/15/22 09:22 AM
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran

Ed, depending on how accurate you may want the footnotes to be in your "Minor Scale" chart, pages 83-88 talks about 3 types of minor scales, natural, harmonic and melodic. They are all different. I think your footnote is referring to the natural minor scale.

BiaB 2024 Windows
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Jim Fogle
The short answer is that there are 48 total major and minor scales. The long answer? It could be more than 200, more than 25,000 or infinity depending on the definition.

Jim, in my searches I also came across that exact quote. FWIW, infinity to me sounds like it's based on a very non-useful definition (for musicians) of what a scale is.

Here is an interesting and quite bold quote I found.

There are 2048 scales in music, no more, no less. 12 of them are intervals (scales with only two notes), and 344 of the other 2036 scales are source scales”

And these people have built an encyclopedia.
https://mdecksmusic.com/2020/01/25/a-universal-encyclopedia-of-scales/

Somewhere at this site look for a video that rapidly scrolls thru each one. You need to be "Data" on Star Trek to absorb it all but it's fun to watch and think about.

Obviously, I'm way out of my league on this subject but I'd guess that if we talk about the number of practical and useful scales for musicians (worldwide), that the number is even fewer than 2048.

BiaB 2024 Windows
Expert
Expert

Ed, depending on how accurate you may want the footnotes to be in your "Minor Scale" chart, pages 83-88 talks about 3 types of minor scales, natural, harmonic and melodic. They are all different. I think your footnote is referring to the natural minor scale.

Thanks for that important piece of information, Bass Thumper.

Link: www.soundcloud.com/ed_shaw (Feel Free to Use)
https://drooble.com/edward.shaw/hymn/index.htm
Biab for WIN 2020 -- Win 10 64bit -- Reaper/Audacity
Zoom R-16 -- Tascam DP-03-SD -- SoundTap -- Crescendo --
edshaw #727752 08/15/22 01:12 PM
Veteran
Veteran
FYI - In my guitar scales book it list 17 scales one should know about:
1-Major scale (Ionian Mode)
2-Major pentatonic
3-Natural minor scale (Aeolian mode)
4-Minor pentatonic
5-Blues scale
6-Mixo-blues scale
7-Mixolydian mode
8-Dorina mode
9-Melodic minor scale
10-Harmonic minor scale
11-Phrygian mode
12-Locrain mode
13-Lydian mode
14-Dimnished scale (half - whole)
15-Diminished scale (whole-half)
16-Chromatic scale
17-Whole tone scale

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,585
Posts734,718
Members38,500
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai
38,499 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 196