Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Online Content
Veteran
For the first time since 1983, I did not build my own computer. The new one has Windows 11, 32 Gig RAM, and two M.2 Samsung SSD drives. What a dream. I bought the i9 Intel CPU specifically for processing speed without over clocking, rather than more cores (it has 10 anyway). The graphics is in the CPU. So, a gaming machine it isn’t, but for BIAB it flies. The program is on its own SSD and the RealTracks for the first time have their own SSD.

It still takes a while to regenerate tracks. I learned that will never be instant, but I remember back in 2009 when you would regenerate a song and go make a sandwich while the operation completed.

The new speed didn’t hit home until today when I regenerated the same song on my backup machine, a seven year-old i5. SLOW! Still acceptable, but now I appreciate the new computer more.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
What brand and model did you purchase? Did you purchase online or from a local retailer?

I got the computer of my dreams two years ago. It is an off-the-shelf Dell Inspirion tower. My only complaint is the primary M2 drive stick is 256GB.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Online Content
Veteran
I had parts assembled to my specs. I didn't have the knowledge about CPU cooling and M.2 drives and wiring up the new cases and motherboards to feel confident doing it myself. My M.2 drives are each 2 TB, and I have a few other SSD drives in the case that I brought over from the old machine to facilitate loading data and programs.

As long as you don't put much more than Windows on the boot M.2 drive, 256 should be OK. I assume you install most programs elsewhere if they allow it.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Any idea how relevant this is for 2023?

10. What are the recommended system requirements for Band-in-a-Box?
Band-in-a-Box runs on Windows 7 / 8 / 8.1 / 10 (32 or 64-bit) and require at least a 1.0 GHz processor (2GHz+ multicore recommended). Basic MIDI features require a less powerful computer than the latest RealTracks features. For best performance, we recommend a fairly up-to-date computer with Windows 7 or higher, a fast processor, and at least 2GB RAM. Without RealDrums or RealTracks, you need a minimum of about 1GB of free hard disk space (15GB recommended). More hard disk space is required for the RealTracks and RealDrums, roughly 100-400MB per Set. A full install of the PRO version (including RealTracks/Drums) requires about 15 GB. A full install of the MEGAPAK version requires about 25 GB. The UltraPAK is about 120 GB total, and you have the option of either downloading, or shipping "pre-installed" on a USB hard drive. You can run the program directly from the hard drive or install on your computer.

A MIDI sound source is required. This could be a sound card, a MIDI keyboard, MIDI sound module, or software synthesizer. We include a software synthesizer with Band-in-a-Box.

https://soundcloud.com/user-646279677
BiaB 2024 Windows
For me there’s no better place in the band than to have one leg in the harmony world and the other in the percussive. Thank you Paul Tutmarc and Leo Fender.
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Online Content
Veteran
In my opinion, this is now a description of the very minimum needed to run BIAB. But that’s good news: BIAB runs on a very modest machine. It then just becomes a question of how much faster you want it to be.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
In my opinion, this is now a description of the very minimum needed to run BIAB. But that’s good news: BIAB runs on a very modest machine. It then just becomes a question of how much faster you want it to be.

Yep, I suspected that to be the case.

Maybe PG Music should provide 2 detailed paragraphs of answers to the system requirements question to particularly help new users.
One that deals with the minimum, which is probably already posted and a second which addresses the recommended requirements with some pad for future growth.

I have a modest machine, an i5 core and only 12GB RAM. And it is good news that BiaB needs a relatively small footprint to run. My machine regenerates and handles BiaB just fine and that is with several Office applications, Studio One and other programs running at the same time. I know I'll need an upgrade at some point but I usually wait until I have at least 2 compelling reasons to do so.

BiaB 2024 Windows
For me there’s no better place in the band than to have one leg in the harmony world and the other in the percussive. Thank you Paul Tutmarc and Leo Fender.
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Online Content
Veteran
PG Music actually had that same thought. They have in the past published, then changed, the minimum requirement. It's always a moving target though, and there are a few other things on the website and in the documentation that could stand revision.

My point about recommended requirements is that this is very hard to determine. You have an i5. So do I. Mine is seven years old. With so many variations, it's possible to buy an i5 today that blows the doors off the i7 I've been using for production. PG Music for a while were using a minimum single-core score in a standardized free utility, Geekbench, to give a good idea, but even then, it was a rough guess: anything over 2000 for example.

And as I said, if BIAB can run on a system, the only thing you gain by buying a better system is that it runs faster. How fast is that? What's your threshold for patience? It's totally dependent upon CPU first, and storage drive second. Graphics is not even a factor. RAM is a problem only when you choose to run other programs at the same time, which I do not recommend when processing digital audio, ever. And, believe it or not, the audiophile version runs slightly faster.

Does that help?

Off-Topic
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Matt.

congrats on your new pc.

i'm stoked so far with my new pc too,cos i went from rb reporting 155 traks on old i5 refurb to 255 traks on the new pc. bb and rb running great.
twas a b'day present from my wife.

i'm really impressed by the ryzen and m.2 ssd tech.

the price i paid made it not worth my while building my own new system.

out of curiosity in rb performance test what no of traks does your i9 report ?
of course i dont use crazy trak counts, but it means i can use more resource intensive plug ins now.

happiness.

om

New Song "PRETTY GIRL" for my wife...Dec 2023
(my vocs....mixed for good earbuds.)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs/prettygirlrbfinalcalfsongsdec2023mp3
(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Matt, I am actually excited for you and envious. I'm sure that new beast will serve you well. grin

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Online Content
Veteran
Thanks, everyone. I didn’t mean to brag, just to make the point it’s fun to have BIAB run so fast! I will try to remember that, when given great power, one also has great responsibility.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Bass Thumper,

There's two important information specification groups you cited. First there are the minimum operating system (OS) and hardware program run requirements. Second is the storage space required for the Pro, Mega and Ultra packages.

I do not remember anyone ever remarking or complaining about the minimum program run requirements. The fact is the minimum requirements are so low the program seems to be able to run on any operable computer using Windows. As with anything computer related, the faster the hardware the faster the program will run.

However package storage space, especially for the Ultra PAK, seems to be a constant concern that generates many questions within the forum. The questions are posted by both newcomers and long time users.

Because there are so many questions, I've posted a +++ wishlist request +++ for a utility program that automates the process of moving Band-in-a-Box, RealBand and their associated content from primary to secondary storage drives.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Jim,
I read your wishlist post and I guess such a utility would be useful. But I'm a little confused on something. If a user is getting low on available space on the drive where BiaB is installed and he wants to upgrade to a bigger BiaB package and he has a larger drive available, why can't he uninstall his current version of BiaB and then pay for and install the bigger package to his larger drive?

Indeed, even if he doesn't want to upgrade to a bigger version but simply wants to move his existing version to another drive couldn't he just uninstall and then re-install?

Wouldn't PG Music help that user if he needed help to do this?

This is [almost] my situation right now. I have the bare-bones version installed on my C: drive which is filling up fast. I'm thinking of upgrading to the 2023 version with the Ultra Pak and install it on my E: drive which has almost a TB of free space. My thinking would be to uninstall BiaB 2022 and then install BiaB 2023 + Ulra Pak on E:. I'm assuming that when build-fixes come along in 2023 that the installer would be smart enough to know to install the fix on E:.

BiaB 2024 Windows
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Online Content
Veteran
Steve, there are so many possibilities.

You don't have to uninstall BIAB, and in fact, I would leave the program where it is on your C drive, and just move the RealTracks and RealDrums. MOVE = Copy, test, then delete. To make this work, you have to go into Preferences, RealTracks and specify the Custom location. Same for RealDrums, although that folder is far smaller.

Since I have the audiophile version of BIAB, the RealTracks and RealDrums require almost 2 TB of space! It's been over a decade since I used the BIAB installers for these large files. I move them around as I need to when hardware changes, but then again, I used to teach computer science and I'm quite comfortable doing that. Jim wants to help those who ask questions here and can easily get lost, and I think that's a good idea.

And yes, you can always get good help from PG Music Support.

As far as the BIAB installers, the first time you run one, you must specify drive locations for the location of the main BIAB program and of the RealTracks / RealDrums (which may be different), but after that, the installers remember your preferences. You can accept them the next time or override them with new choices.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley

You don't have to uninstall BIAB, and in fact, I would leave the program where it is on your C drive, and just move the RealTracks and RealDrums. MOVE = Copy, test, then delete. To make this work, you have to go into Preferences, RealTracks and specify the Custom location. Same for RealDrums, although that folder is far smaller.

Hmmm, so there's no penalty in speed or performance if the program is on one drive and the RealTracks/RealDrums are on another?

I would have thought that you'd want to minimize disk jumping/thrashing or is everything needed dumped into memory?

BiaB 2024 Windows
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Online Content
Veteran
In fact the opposite is true. It's good to split up the program and its data.

In a perfect world, the operating system would be on its own drive, all programs would be on a different drive, and the data used by programs on a third drive. Not only would that maximize efficiency (a little, admittedly) but it would make it easier to back up the data.

Also, we're pretty close to being rid of hard drive thrashing (when you run out of free space on the drive) and hard drive jumping (assuming you mean the movement of the hard drive read/write head in and out and to other platters). All these problems are improved by using SSDs. The only related problem that remains is you must keep around 20% free space on an SSD.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
When you say "data" I understand you mean user-created files; in this case the BiaB ***.SGU file or in Excel ***.XLS files.

Years ago back in the VAX-11/780 superminicomputer days, an IT guy suggested that we all place our user-created files in subdirectories under a master folder called "Data" ideally on it's own separate drive. Then it's a snap to backup all these files by simply dragging that folder to an external backup drive (today a thumb drive). I've maintained that approach to the present. [As a side note, I don't compress these files. Years ago I did compress them using some kind of "Zip software" but when it came time to uncompress and retrieve them the Zip software failed and my files were lost.]

But back to BiaB, I consider the RealTracks and RealDrums a part of the software and therefore not needing to be backed up. So they are not part of my backup path. So are you saying that it's still better to have the RealTracks/RealDrums on a separate drive along with my user-created files?

Prior to the climate-controlled VAX days we were on the UNIVAC 1100 Mainframe where CPU time was prioritized and highly controlled (remember that one?). The systems people dealt with all backups on that useful monster.

BiaB 2024 Windows
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Online Content
Veteran
BIAB is an unusual case. Your songs and user-created styles are data and must be backed up. RealTracks and RealDrums come on the supplied hard drive or download, so those do not need to be backed up. But in the context of what is a program and what is data, and where they should optimally be, I would call RealTracks and RealDrums data. I think, with no proof whatever, that separating the program from the RealTracks and RealDrums would perform slightly better.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
OK, thanks for your insights and enjoy your new machine. Snappy new hardware is always fun.

BiaB 2024 Windows
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Congrats Matt on your new PC and enjoy,

Maybe a picture of the Beauty if you have the time.

smile

Musiclover

My music https://www.youtube.com/user/donegalprideofall

Windows 10 (64bit) M-Audio Fast Track Pro, Band in a Box 2024, Cubase 13, Cakewalk and far too many VST plugins that I probably don't need or will ever use smile
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Online Content
Veteran
Thanks, but it’s the throwback black box. No lights (and no sound!). Nothing to see here….

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,577
Posts734,626
Members38,499
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai, Tony1234
38,498 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 192