Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Forum members that also use Cakewalk may find this information nugget interesting.

Since Bandlab released the former Sonar Platinum software under its new name, Cakewalk, developers have identified and fixed more than 3,000 bugs.

+++ Cakewalk Forum Post +++

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
As one who tends to look at things from every angle, isn't it a consideration to look at that statement from the other direction? That being why it was released with over 3,000 bugs?

That chronology sent me running to Google. I used Cakewalk in the 80s as a DOS program, so to say "Bandlabs released the former Sonar Platinum software under its new name, Cakewalk" made me say "huh"? Band labs acquired Cakewalk when Gibson quit on it in 2018, so I don't know if it is right to say that BandLabs did much more than change the name on Sonar to Cakewalk By Bandlab.

I only use Sonar so I have access to the plugins anyway. I am not deep enough into DAWs these days to really get involved into the semantics of who owns what. I rarely leave Real Band anymore because it is all the DAW I need, especially when I can use the Twelve Tone/Cakewalk/Sonar/BandLabs plugins.

Man I had Cakewalk 1.0 back right after Greg Hendershott started Twelve Tone Systems. And it cost a fortune. Followed soon by Texture by Roger Powell, though to me it was not as intuitive as Cakewalk so after buying it at a show and having Roger sign the package, I barely used it. That was about 1985-86 I think.

That's amazing to consider. 40-ish years ago I was using clunky barely-usable sequencers, and now I have PC writing music for me.

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I've lost touch with Cakewalk/SONAR/Bandlab because I jumped ship to Presonus Studio One. There didn't seem to be a safe path forward.

Now, while I'm very happy with my setup, I am also pleased to see that those who remained with Cakewalk by Bandlab are getting the support we did not know would come.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Eddie,

Simply put, products were released before they should have been because Gibson acquired too much debt. Gibson purchased Phillips consumer products.

Cakewalk was a division of Gibson. Gibson was bleeding money. Gibson closed the Cakewalk division in November, 2017. The screen shot below provides a non comprehensive list of Cakewalk division products at the time the division closed.

There were three professional grade Sonar DAW platforms; Platinum, Professional and Artist with Platinum the premier product. There were also two consumer grade DAW platforms; Home Studio and Music Creator. All together the software development team maintained five DAW platforms.

Then there were all the plugin products.

Bandlab released Sonar Platinum as Cakewalk by Bandlab April, 2018. There have been more than 3,000 fixes since Cakewalk was released.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Clipboard01.jpg (22.09 KB, 183 downloads)
Cakewalk division products

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
What's hard to do is remove the desire to judge what was then by what the standards are now. Cakewalk 1.0 was like "Oh yeah! You mean I can record onto my computer and then keep layering tracks on top of it? YES!!!"

And look where we are now.

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
To a certain extent, you're correct. I had a pc AT clone with a 286 microprocessor, Creative Labs Soundblaster 16 sound card with a gameport MIDI adapter running Voyetra Sequencer Plus Gold. I had a Casio DG guitar controller and keyboard with MIDI ports. I could actually create music that sounded good enough the rest of my family would listen to it ... one time! smile

I've got stuff that sounds a whole lot better now but I don't enjoy using it as much as I enjoyed the older stuff. Of course back in the late 70s, 80s and early 90s anything "computer" was fascinating.

Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
I have been with Cakewalk since the early days as well. I was so sad when Gibson ruined it. Then low and behold here comes Bandlab and brought it back to life. All my old purchased stuff worked and you could still download stuff if you needed to as Bandlab was keeping the domain alive as well. I had switched over to Cubase and still use it as well. Just depends on how I feel that day I guess!

My wife asked if I had seen the dog bowl. I told her I didn't even know he could.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
The very definition of a bug is that it's there because the developer didn't know it was there. But.... wow!, 3000 is a lot of bugs.... more of an infestation.

That said, I have rarely encountered any issues or bugs in my use of Cakewalk products. Yep, I get the occasional crash but I attribute that to the computer, the plugs, and the OS but it could very well be the coding in Sonar.....

When in doubt.... and the system starts acting unstable...... SAVE, CLOSE, REBOOT.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I get the impression from comments developers leave on the Cakewalk forum that the developers are digging deep into the software innards to fix some issues that have "bugged" them for a long time. smile

They seem to be enjoying being able to add whatever enhancements are needed to keep the software current without having to reinvent the wheel every year.

Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
I think the best part is they are not just maintaining the software but improving it and adding features basically every month. They have brought it up to current standards with lots and maybe all of the bells and whistles that other current commercial DAWs have.

My wife asked if I had seen the dog bowl. I told her I didn't even know he could.
Off-Topic
B
Journeyman
Journeyman
B
Originally Posted By: eddie1261
As one who tends to look at things from every angle, isn't it a consideration to look at that statement from the other direction? That being why it was released with over 3,000 bugs?

Do you really think that all 3000 bugs have been in place since 1987?

Or that they were all show stoppers?

Byron Dickens

BIAB. CbB. Mixbus 32C 8 HP Envy. Intel core i7. 16GB RAM W10. Focusrite Scarlett 18i 20. Various instruments played with varying degrees of proficiency.

https://soundcloud.com/athanorsoundlabs
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Correct, they were not showstoppers. I used SONAR for decades with good success.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
B
Journeyman
Journeyman
B
I still use Cakewalk for recording and editing. Most bugs are things that the majority of users never run into.

Byron Dickens

BIAB. CbB. Mixbus 32C 8 HP Envy. Intel core i7. 16GB RAM W10. Focusrite Scarlett 18i 20. Various instruments played with varying degrees of proficiency.

https://soundcloud.com/athanorsoundlabs
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Same here. Still have Sonar Platinum installed on my studio pc. Paid for the lifetime deal, or whatever it was, and then that other deal went down.

I moved to Studio One primarily because of all of the online tutorials. Cakewalk was sparse in that regard.

I still have productions that I hope to export and import to Studio One, but haven't so far. And now PreSonus is Fender.

Oh well. It's still an incredible time to be involved in music:)

Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
Originally Posted By: Byron Dickens
I still use Cakewalk for recording and editing. Most bugs are things that the majority of users never run into.

Yeah, when I read the update fixes etc. it is usually stuff I have never used and probably won't. Sometimes I don't even know what the fix was for because I have never ever done it before.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,393
Posts732,476
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195