Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#739529 11/18/22 07:47 AM
User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Been for way too long away from this amazing forum. How is everyone? From glancing at the forum list of songs, extremely productive, it seems :-) - good :-) Hope you are all good, happy and healthy :-)

Here's one more from me - all feedback welcome. Thanks for listening, and thank you PG Music once more.

Perhaps

LYRICS:

Perhaps I believed in you too much
Perhaps I longed too long for your touch
I thought our love would bridge time and space ...
Perhaps I was too in love with your kind face ...

For sure, I know that I've been e'er so much a fool
For sure, I know I would have broken every rule
To have you hide into my arms once more,
For sure, I simply must now close this door ...

And yet, when I remember what we had
I wish there was another ending, not so sad,
To all our hugs and all our tears, to all that we did share ...
Perhaps it was just a dream that you did care ...

Perhaps I did believe in you too much
Perhaps I did long for too long for one more touch ...
I did, however, think we would beat time and space ...
What a fool I've been ... and yet I'll love you all of my days.

THE BAND:

****** Song Summary *************
Title: Perhaps - 18 November 2022
File:Perhaps - 18 November 2022.SGU
Key=A , Tempo 80, Length (m:s)=3:12
No intro. 60 bar chorus, from bar 1 to bar 60. Repeat x1 chorus
No Melody
No Soloist track.
Song is saved with Volume, Pan, Reverb, Chorus, Bank0,
Style is _PLEA.STY (Plea Southern Soul Ballad)

RealTracks in style: 1398:Bass, Electric, Soul70sA-B Ev16 100
RealTracks in style: 2692:Organ, Rhythm ModernPopSlowMike Ev 075
RealTracks in style: 873:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm ModernRnBRockFunkyOffbeat Ev 065
RealTracks in style: 3331:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm JazzyPop16thsMark Ev16 080
RealDrums in style:SouthernPop16RnB^07-a:Hat, Sidestick, b:Ride, Snare2

Voice recorded and mixed in Mixcraft Pro Studio 9, with compressor, EQ and mastering preset effects.

musician17 #739537 11/18/22 07:58 AM
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Hi there, musician 17.
You seem to be speaking the lyric so it's hard to imagine a melody.
Maybe that's the style you want so that's fine.
Could you introduce a little variation on the music though?

Vic

musician17 #739544 11/18/22 08:05 AM
User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
I'll certainly give it another listen and see what I can do, Vic! My thinking was that the song was kinda short, and the lyrics kinda similar and on the same theme, in themselves, so why vary the music any more than I already did (or tried to, at least)? But ... I'll certainly listen again with this in mind! Thanks for a kind and honest suggestion :-)

musician17 #739652 11/18/22 06:17 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi, James.

The balance seems a bit off - the vocal is a bit bassy, and the backing too far in the back.

Without a melodic line, it feels to me like the lyric comes to an end, but the backing just keeps going, without having noticed the speaking part is done.

Not bad, just not my cup of tea. Your vocal recording technique has certainly gotten better!

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
musician17 #739701 11/19/22 05:47 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hello James,

I very glad you found your way to this forum again.
I also remember you promised to make more joyful songs, but luckily you sticked to the sad ones. This I also wrote to you (if I were you).
Your lyrics are as nice as ever in this kind of songs. One can feel what pain is in them.

But I also have to agree with other posters here, that there is something with the balance of the song. It started at 0:58 (or about).
There the organ and the rest of the band had 'an internal' problem on the course of the song. David said somewhat the same.
Maybe you can try some more variation in the melody and even a break somewhere, to make the song more interesting.
The sound of the song and your vocals have improved a lot!

Hans

Hans Berkhout
(Birchwood)
https://soundcloud.com/user-296497130
musician17 #739836 11/20/22 04:55 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi, James. I was forming a search party for you. Now I can invite you to the party. I've played some of your music to friends, and everyone loves it. You have a unique sound and approach. Even though you more speak the lyrics, I can always hear a melody. Welcome back, and this is another musician17 gem. Thanks. [I'm now listening to Mercy, so I'll be at hearthis.at/james-delsono if you're looking for me.]

Enjoy whatever happens!
marty

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@babumusic51
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/marty-straub
and https://soundcloud.com/babumusic-5080285
Band in a Box, Reaper, Cakewalk, Ozone 11
musician17 #739859 11/20/22 08:44 AM
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
I try to be honest.
My thinking was that the lyrics were fine. Didn't need much musically but a simple variation would add interest. Maybe just use a simple piano and another instrument for fills.
Less is more sometimes.

Vic

musician17 #739893 11/20/22 02:13 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I like the grove and instrumentation.

I think many of us can identify with the lyrics at one time or another in our lives.

musician17 #739925 11/21/22 01:44 AM
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Another good one, James. The instrumentation works, the organ & strings.

Link: www.soundcloud.com/ed_shaw (Feel Free to Use)
https://drooble.com/edward.shaw/hymn/index.htm
Biab for WIN 2020 -- Win 10 64bit -- Reaper/Audacity
Zoom R-16 -- Tascam DP-03-SD -- SoundTap -- Crescendo --
musician17 #739990 11/21/22 07:26 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
James,
You have many shades of sad reflection in your songs and familiar listeners will find the melody suggested by your unique vocal style.
On this song I think your vocal is a little far forward of the band, which, to my ears, is playing in a more cheerful mood than the lyric... perhaps that`s your intention?

Robert

musician17 #740437 11/23/22 04:37 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Good to hear from you James. Excellent lyric and vocal delivery. Well done

Scott Collingwood
https://soundcloud.com/scottt709
https://soundcloud.com/spiritlevel-ca
https://www.youtube.com/@SpiritLevel-ge3hm/
musician17 #740477 11/24/22 01:01 AM
User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
David Cuny: I know that this kind of spoken voice stuff isn't exactly your cup of tea, so thank you so much for listening anyway. I'll have another look at the balance - thanks for highlighting that, others have also done that, so ... thanks again! :-)

Hans: thanks. Variation is key - in the style of songs that I write, as well as many other musical things. So yes - I will revisit the song, whenever I get a bit of time, and see how I could improve it. Thanks so much for listening!!! and I still hope to write different kinds of songs (in view of "variation", haha), also, in future!

Marty: you invariably make me smile with your comments, and this was no exception. No search party needed just yet, haha ... thank you so much for listening. I'm so glad you enjoyed it, and thank you so much for ever so nicely playing my little experiments to your friends! Way too kind!!! I note you have a newly-posted song out, so that's where I'm heading next, myself :-)

Vic: yes, I think you have a point. I wrote this song in a shorter timespan than usually, so I may have (however inadvertently) not been as careful with it as with some of my other ones. I will re-visit it! Thanks again for the honesty, it really is appreciated.

Ezekiel's Storm: thanks. Yes, most of us have been there, right? :-)

Ed: thank you ever so much!

Robert: yes, the balance is almost for sure in need of a re-visit. Yes, I did want a more cheerful backtrack than the lyrics, but only if it does work. If not, that needs re-visiting, too ... but I do think I'll keep it thus for now? I'll see :-) Thank you ever so much for taking the time to listen and comment!

Scott C: thank you so much for listening to, and for commenting on, one more of my songs :-) Really appreciated!!!

musician17 #741186 11/28/22 10:05 AM
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Hi James, welcome back. I liked the feel of this song and I also liked the stereo effects you had going.

musician17 #741228 11/28/22 11:29 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Hi James,

A sweet, but sad song.
We agree with the others, that the music should be a bit louder, or the vocals a bit softer (or both)
But it's nice anyway.
Nowadays they would call it "spoken word". Accompanied by music. smile
You're good at it.

Rob and Anne-Marie

We are Rob Meulman and Anne-Marie Bovenkamp from The Netherlands.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1gsdNLE7_Gy8qavoOplQow/videos
http://rnam.net/

musician17 #741322 11/28/22 09:04 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
James,
another good one.
Longing & long actually worked out well...I'm impressed.
I did find "...in love with your kind face" was an odd choice as it doesn't match the ardour of the rest of the lyric.
Good band, good reading and good mix.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
musician17 #741810 12/01/22 04:53 AM
User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Brad: thank you.

Rob and Anne-Marie: thanks! I need to find a few minutes, just to rebalance the audio, absolutely! :-)

Ray: thanks. You have a point about the lyric, it didn't even cross my mind when I wrote it, I was too busy looking for a viable rhyme, haha. You're always very kind and encouraging in your feedback - thank you. Take good care.

musician17 #741899 12/01/22 11:47 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Lyrics were moving and oh, so easy to relate to (at least for me). Nice job on this one.

Windows 10, Intel Core I5 10400, 16 gig ram, Scarlett 6i6, Komplete keyboard, Sony Acid Music Studio 11, BIAB 2020 UltraPlus Pak
musician17 #742112 12/02/22 09:23 PM
User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Thanks, TuneMonger :-)

musician17 #742251 12/03/22 11:09 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Robert stated it so well, "You have many shades of sad reflection in your songs and familiar listeners will find the melody suggested by your unique vocal style."

Many shades indeed and while some lyrics ask one to connect the dots you have a way of delivery that offers the listener an opportunity to connect the melody dots.

At any given time my wife has about 3.6 zillion melodies in her head smile so she can assuredly connect those dots.

Good band too!

Bud

musician17 #742644 12/05/22 04:43 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
James
An excellent band
A good write
Well recorded vocal
Mix sounds good
One of your best I think

fj

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,389
Posts732,447
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195