Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Love the groove! As usual, everyone on the team knocked it out of the park: BiaB, vocals, guitar, mix... It's all there!

Fun listen, from start to end! smile

Nice to see the mixing magic that went into each track also!

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: NigelSpiers
Hi Guys,

Interesting version of this old 24 bar blues. I note you are doing it in 22 bar format.
I like the Rhumba feel as an alternative to the straight feel in the version by Leven Helm & His Dirt Farmer Quartet.

Good work.

Best Regards
Nigel

Hi, we are glad you liked the song. And that the rhumba groove worked for you. It was fun introducing ourselves to a rhumba blues vibe.

Yep, arrangements for this are indeed all over the map. Leon’s version (and his daughter’s) are more straight forward than many. Our arrangement as follows is a bit similar to several others over the years.

The intro and outro are 12 bars.

The “verses” and solo are 20 bars. (for our version the “verse” is a combo of a verse and chorus - it could be considered as an 8 bar verse and a 12 bar chorus).

The tag is 2 measures.

Guess that covers it!

Thanks for the listen.

J&B

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
What a silky-smooth sound.
I'm not much of a blues fan but this is nice.
Well done to you all.

Vic

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Hi Bud, Peter, and Janice,

Love this! I've always been a fan of blues with a Rhumba beat, working on one myself actually that may or may not see the light of day.

I've said this before, you have a knack of finding these old jems and bringing them back to life with a more modern production. I've never heard this particular song before, but it's a good one.

Janice sounds great as per usual, as does Peter.

Cool arrangement, and a great mix, well done all!

Thank you Dave! It’s cool to hear you like that Rhumba feel. It was a surprise and fun to run across those BiaB tracks.

J&B

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
PB&J, The Rhumba beat always breaks up a standard blues set with a little happy feel. My personal favorite for this kind beat is Robben Ford. Peter and Janice are locked in on this one. You can feel the fun. Y'all manage to unearth some PD classics and bring them back to life with a new updated feel. The mix sounds balanced and open and that singer is right at home in this genre. So laid back and relaxed. This is how it's done! Tom

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Janice, Bud & Peter ...

Fabulous redo of a great old classic Blues. My father died in 1968 and he was the first thought that came to mind - not because of the houses of ill repute, mind ya! But, he couldn't say words that ended in "lm" wuithout separating the them into two syllables: fill-um for film, ellum-um for elm, call-um for calm, pall-um for palm, etc.

Peter's intro and outro were just so dang good! Perfect guitar tone and style for the genre. And as far as my ears are concerned, Janice can dance all over a vocal any time she wants. She has an uncanny way of expressing the emotion appropriate for the genre.

As far as lyric tweaking and production elements, it couldn't be better. A person can hear a song, listen to a song, or appreciate a song. The music you guys put up always deserves the appreciation factor. Excellent contributions by all of you.

Take care ...

Alan

Last edited by Al-David; 11/21/22 12:58 AM.

BIAB 2022 Ultra Plus-all StylePaks*Win10*8GB DDR4*I5-6th Gen*AT 2035 Mic*Peavey Nashville 112 Amp*Ibanez ART120 Electric/Washburn D200S Acoustic*Stromberg Monterey Jazz Guitar

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I'm not familiar with this song, but your version sounds mighty fine.

The whole arrangement is so craftily put together. With Peter and Janice here, you've got a winner.

Magnificently done!

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
J&B,

It's a wonderful treatment of a funky, bluesy tune! Once again the vocals are off the charts good! The guitar fills really make the song sing! It's a great addition to your impressive catalog of songs!

Thanks, Torrey

We appreciate that Torrey. And thanks a lot for mentioning both the vocals and the guitar!

J&B

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
J&B and Peter,
I like the cautionary tale in the lyrics and especially the way that rhumba beat lifts the blues into almost a happy place.
Excellent vocals, guitar and production skills on display... of course!
Great revival work.

Robert

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: TuneMonger
Every good blues harmonica player has a rhumba groove on his playlist, it's expected. This was a fine rhumba blues and sung so very well by Janice. I wasn't familiar with the song, great to discover a hidden gem like this. Terrific work by the whole team!

We appreciate that especially from a fine harp player who likes rhumba blues!

J&B

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Janice/Bud/Peter...

Y'all make every PD song you arrange sound like it belongs to you and you alone.
A very cool BAND. Nice percussion choice...

Janice kills the vocal. Would expect no less.

Peter's fills fit like an old, comfortable pair of shoes. Nice.

Excellent mix.
(Although... that crash cymbal jumps out of my speakers. By the end, it bugged me some.
Maybe it's just my speakers - since no one else even mentioned it...cymbal-hater that I am)

The feel of a classic.
Of course.

fj

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Scott C
What a cool groove to this tune. Peters intro was awedome. Then came your perfect vocal and harmonies. Loved this tune..

Thank you Scott!

J&B

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: animarorecords
Janice, Bud and Peter,

Janice is great when she sings the blues.
A Latin flavor added to the song, and it's very effective.
It's great that it's not just a blues sound.
Peter's guitar is great as always.
And it's so well mixed and sounds great.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi

Thank you Shigeki for your kind and supportive review!

J&B

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: BabuMusic
Just jammed this song last night with a bunch of folks, and it wasn't anything like this. This is GREAT!! Man, you guys are royalty of the public domain, and you always remake them in a way that raises the standards of the original writer. (I'd really like to hear you guys do one of mine a hundred years from now. hehe) Janice, you sing this like you were raised on it, and your harmony is outstanding. Such a pleasurable listen. Storyville, NOLA, and Ellum St., Texas. Hans, how about writing one about the red lights of Amsterdam? Peter & Bud, that bass sounds terrific, and, Peter, your guitars shine so bright. So well done all around.

Thank you Marty!

How cool that you have jammed the on tune.
We like the Grateful Dead’s version and of course it is jammy. smile
We have 2122 on the calendar for a Babu tune!

J&B

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Hello together
Great blues song
As always with excellent vocals
But also the guitar work is really very very good here
Really great work
Both thumbs up
Many greetings
Andi ;-)

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Bass Thumper
What can I say? It's all been covered above . . . great job to all.

Thanks!

J&B

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: musician17
Haha - wonderful!!! This is Janice and Bud productions at its finest best! Janice knocks it out of the park yet again - as I've said before, no idea how she does it, but she seems to me to improve with every single song. Everytime I think she can't get any better, she's like "let me show you even more of what I can do". Here, it's the jazzy slides, the subtle staccati every now and then, and the humour in her voice. The production is seamless and peerless. And I've been dancing in my chair and tapping my foot throughout - what more can one possibly want? :-)

A JOY to listen to this song, the way you've done it. Thanks for sharing - hats off to you. :-)

Hey, Bud here … Janice is too modest so I’m commenting. Your description of her vocal is IMO spot on. This was as usual one take and she simply sings it as she feels it. Nothing is contrived. Thanks so much for noting this and for all your comments.

Bud

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: dcuny
Love the groove! As usual, everyone on the team knocked it out of the park: BiaB, vocals, guitar, mix... It's all there!

Fun listen, from start to end! smile

Nice to see the mixing magic that went into each track also!

Thanks for the great review including noting the track fx.
It’s appreciated by all of us!

J&B

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: vicarn
What a silky-smooth sound.
I'm not much of a blues fan but this is nice.
Well done to you all.

Vic

Thanks Vic! Hey, well we are glad many of your UK contemporaries were blues fans — otherwise we likely would not have a blues scene nowadays. They saved it.

J&B

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Janice, Peter and Bud,

A wonderful song again.
Great harmonies!
And Peter does it again! Of course.
Really bluesy too.

Anne-Marie

We are Rob Meulman and Anne-Marie Bovenkamp from The Netherlands.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1gsdNLE7_Gy8qavoOplQow/videos
http://rnam.net/

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,399
Posts732,551
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199