Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Hey guys, it’s been a minute, and I hope all is going well with you and yours!

So it’s that time of year again and from what I’ve seen so far 2023 is gonna be a fantastic upgrade with some awesome new content! YAY!!

Here’s my problem for some reason, I had split BB content installation between my C and D drives. My C drive, which is an SSD, is pretty much entirely full with all sorts of other stuff I’m afraid to move for various reasons,

I got plenty of space on my HDD D drive (and came clear much more) and would like to know the easiest and safest to move them from C to D without ruining all the file associations and whatnot, and also without having to reinstall anything (my interest speeds are atrocious at the moment and I really need to change ISPs)

Can I just drag and drop the entire bb folder in my C drive into my bb folder in my D? Or maybe open the C/BB folder and drag all the files into the D/BB folder (rather than the C/bb folder itself)?

I’m attaching a couple of images, which I hope will help to explain the problem, as a response to this comment because it appears that if I try to include them in the body via file manager upload, it removes all but the first line of text)

Oh, and one last thing, I got 3.6 gig of BiaB sounds under C/Program Files/Common Files that I’d also like to move if possible, but I’m worried that because it’s not in a bb folder that might cause an additional file association issue if I move everything else in the BB folder to my D drive

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Band-in-a-Box 2021 PlusPAK w 2019 Bonus Pak. Custom Build Desktop PC W/ Windows 10 Home 64-bit. CPU: Intel Core i5-9600k @ 3.7GHz (6 core x 6 threads) RAM: 16GB DDR4. Storage 238GB SSD + 2.7 TB HDD. GPU: ZOTAC NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Here are the images

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
BB D drive.JPG (22.35 KB, 87 downloads)
BB C Files.JPG (108.21 KB, 87 downloads)
BB SS 2.JPG (662.57 KB, 1 downloads)

Band-in-a-Box 2021 PlusPAK w 2019 Bonus Pak. Custom Build Desktop PC W/ Windows 10 Home 64-bit. CPU: Intel Core i5-9600k @ 3.7GHz (6 core x 6 threads) RAM: 16GB DDR4. Storage 238GB SSD + 2.7 TB HDD. GPU: ZOTAC NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB
Veteran
Veteran
I take it that this is not 2023 and that you are moving your existing files in preparation for getting 2023.

I prefer to copy, and then delete the original installation on C, rather than move.

It's fine to move from one drive to another do this. If you simply want to drag c:\bb to D:, that will work.

After you've got BIAB on drive D, just run Setup and choose the minimum install. This will align BIAB things with your new location. When you've done that, you will probably need to organise the Reatrack and Realdrums preferences to point to the default directories (D:\bb\Realtracks and D:\bb\Drums).

This should do the job for you.

Noel

P.S. You'll love BIAB 2023 smile

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Originally Posted By: Noel96
I take it that this is not 2023 and that you are moving your existing files in preparation for getting 2023.

I prefer to copy, and then delete the original installation on C, rather than move.

It's fine to move from one drive to another do this. If you simply want to drag c:\bb to D:, that will work.

After you've got BIAB on drive D, just run Setup and choose the minimum install. This will align BIAB things with your new location. When you've done that, you will probably need to organise the Reatrack and Realdrums preferences to point to the default directories (D:\bb\Realtracks and D:\bb\Drums).

This should do the job for you.

Noel

P.S. You'll love BIAB 2023 smile

Thank you so much Noel!

If you would be so kind as to clarify that this is the exact process you recommend I follow?

which one of these 4 possible options would be best in your opinion:

1. Open C/bb, select all the contents including subfolders, (but not the parent [is that the right term?] folder itself)

2. open D/bb and paste those contents into that parent folder

3. Delete C/bb parent folder

4. Run minimal install (where do I find that option?) and change all the C's to D's. Also, will I be able to run
that install from the D drive if the exe. has not yet been launched from D?

Thanks again!

Veteran
Veteran
Hi again!

That looks like a good plan.

Ahh... from what you've written, I'm guessing that you have a downloaded and updated version of BIAB. I was thinking that you might have a USB drive installation. Sorry. I should have asked.

If you go to PG Music's Sales webpage...

https://www.pgmusic.com/

... and log-in into your account. Now go to "My Account" and scroll down a bit. If your version of BIAB has been registered with PG Music, you will find various installation files that you can download and install.

The one that will align the BIAB install with the D: drive will have a name similar to the one I've highlighted on the image below (this is from my 2022 installation). When you run this file, point the installation to D: drive.

If this file doesn't show up, register your product and it will appear. If you can't find your registration number, contact PG Music and they will help out.

Lastly... running the file I've indicated should install a shortcut to start the program. If it doesn't, simply edit your existing shortcut (right-click on it and select "Properties") and change the path of the Target file to D:\bb\bbw64.exe and the Start-in directory to D:\bb

Hope this helps,
Noel

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
BIAB-RB Install file smaller.jpg (49.58 KB, 63 downloads)

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
You, my good Sir, are a gentleman and a scholar

On that note, I've been so busy with life the last couple of years that I barely had time to even boot up BiaB, but it's def the community here (even family in a way) that I miss the most!

P.S. Yes, you are correct, I want to port over everything from 2022 and earlier before purchasing and installing 2023.

Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Originally Posted By: Noel96
Hi again!

That looks like a good plan.

Ahh... from what you've written, I'm guessing that you have a downloaded and updated version of BIAB. I was thinking that you might have a USB drive installation. Sorry. I should have asked.

If you go to PG Music's Sales webpage...

https://www.pgmusic.com/

... and log-in into your account. Now go to "My Account" and scroll down a bit. If your version of BIAB has been registered with PG Music, you will find various installation files that you can download and install.

The one that will align the BIAB install with the D: drive will have a name similar to the one I've highlighted on the image below (this is from my 2022 installation). When you run this file, point the installation to D: drive.

If this file doesn't show up, register your product and it will appear. If you can't find your registration number, contact PG Music and they will help out.

Lastly... running the file I've indicated should install a shortcut to start the program. If it doesn't, simply edit your existing shortcut (right-click on it and select "Properties") and change the path of the Target file to D:\bb\bbw64.exe and the Start-in directory to D:\bb

Hope this helps,
Noel

Ooof, I totally get what you're saying about the installation file/minimal install, but I have one more follow up question cuz I'm a little bit unclear about (even though I'm pretty sure would be the right way but I'm too scared to do without being 100% certain due to my fear of screwing up the entire program by importing a bb folder (from my C drive, within a bb folder (in my D drive)..

Should I open C/bb, and copy pasted everything-but not the folder itself, into D/bb (also opened)? In other words, avoid having a bb folder (originally from C) within a bb folder (the one that was always within D)?

Oh, and one more question: I had also installed BiaB 2022 on another laptop (which is now a brick that I can't even boot, lol). Will I have to contact PGM support and have that laptop's registration deactivated when executing the reinstall?

Thank you sooooooo much for your time and patience!

Veteran
Veteran
Hi smile

Don't worry, you won't really screw everything up. As long the directory/folder structure is correct, everything will work fine.

The best options would be either one of the following...

1) Select the folder C:\bb, copy it, and paste it on the root directory of the D: drive. This then creates a folder D:\bb and puts all the sub-folders into it.

2) Create the D:\bb folder. Open C:\bb. Select every folder in C:\bb and paste all those folders into D:\bb.

The end result you are trying to obtain is to have all the BIAB files in D:\bb arranged like they were in the C:\bb folder.

Because you are on the same computer, when you relocate \bb from C:\ to D:\ you don't need to deactivate and reactivate. The activation will remain intact during the copy process. It's only when you change computers that you will need to consider activation processes.

Regarding your laptop... PG Music gives users 3 activations. You could certainly ask PG Music to release the one on your old laptop, but unless you are needing an activation, there's probably no point. When you install 2023, you will get 3 new activations (as I understand it). I update BIAB every year and the only time I've had to activate a new installation was when I bought a new computer a few years ago.

Hope this helps,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,620
Posts735,176
Members38,517
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
maxrob61, TonyInManchester, jslynbrrs01, amdwilsns01, Juan Jose
38,516 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 185