Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#744937 12/15/22 05:55 PM
Band-in-a-Box VST and Pro Tools/AAX DAW Plugin (Windows)
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Right Click Save Link\Target As Song 12-8 65bpm 4-4 43bpm.wav

In a new Biab set it to 4/4 43bpm 38bars mute or freeze all the Style tracks.
then File Import Audio > WAV
it should be set at 43bpm base tempo it was 43.33 to fit the 4 beat bars but Biab can't handle decimal tempos so the playrate was dropped to .992

The actual 12/8 tempo is 65bpm

With Micro chords this should give 12 chords per bar

I should be able to make up a UserTrack to test it out.

So there might be some way to get real time signatures to match DAW sessions ??

musocity #745029 12/16/22 08:01 AM
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Hello Musocity,

Compound time signatures in Band-in-a-Box are virtually the same as their simple meter counterpart. For instance, Band-in-a-Box creates a simulated 12/8 feel by using a triplet beat resolution for a 4/4 time signature. This does not affect the tempo or pulse of the music, so if you are creating a 12/8 song in Band-in-a-Box where the tempo marking is dotted-quarter = 65, you would set the tempo in your 4/4 Band-in-a-Box song to 65.

We would recommend rendering your tracks in Band-in-a-Box to match the tempo of your song in Reaper, regardless of the time signature. There is no need to adjust the tempo to compensate for the difference in time signature because the pulse of the music remains the same.

Hope this helps!

Best,

Jerry
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
"Virtually" is the key word, if you stay in a virtual box it's ok, but if you get out in the real world there are problems.

musocity #745270 12/17/22 01:25 PM
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Jerry.

A variation of this "compound timing" versus "simple timing" problem that Musocity mentions arose earlier this year. In that particular case, it was necessary to consider the 2/3 down-scaling of tempo.

https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=735676#Post735676

All is fine when everything is done in BIAB because, as you say, BIAB works on musical pulses and 12/8 and 4/4 both have four pulses per bar, and the 12/8 is created as a variation of 4/4. The fact that, in theory, 12/8 has pulses based on dotted quarter notes and 4/4 has pulses based on quarter notes, doesn't cause any conflict.

The problem for the above user arose because of an external MIDI file. I also had a similar problem a couple of years ago when I was trying to match 12/8 EZ Drums to 4/4 (sw) BIAB tracks imported into Reaper. I haven't tried it again since that time so maybe things are now easier.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Here's a 12-8 that will match the DAW.
The DAW is set to 12/8 84bpm and the VSTPlugin is set to 4/4 56bpm.
These tracks were recorded in actual 12/8 84bpm so 4/4 56bpm will give original tempo, the bar display in the VSTPlugin will sync.
You can try it with chord changes using Micro Chords.
Watch Video: https://www.dropbox.com/s/w5w2dupu9zwsaoo/House-Style-Blues-12-8.mp4?dl=0
Download: House_Style_Blues_12-8_84bpm_4-4_56bpm.rar
unzip with WinRar or free https://www.7-zip.org/download.html
The Rhythm track has all Major minor 7 9 dim
There are only a few keys just to let you try it out B Bb A

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
12-8-UserTrack-BBPlugin.png (195.71 KB, 203 downloads)
Veteran
Veteran
Thanks for those. I'll come and have a look a little later today when I've got a bit of time.

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I'm trying to work out how much is locked into 4/4 limitation.
Looking through the Style Maker is so in depth, I'm not sure how much of it is just used for old midi styles. I get lost trying to understand it all crazy
I got lost when I was trying to make multistyles from the keyboard midi STY PRS files. The "Wizard" should just open them and create it automatically, maybe it does but I got lost in it all.
Quote:
NOTE: All user styles are entered in 4/4 time.
The Band-in-a-Box Program is capable of playing back in any time signature (via the F5 Key setting) so user defined waltz styles would be made as 4/4 but played as 3/4.

I think it's all for automating the creation so if you are up on a stage it's automatically programed for accompaniment using out of the box styles rather than for users to create up the content they need bit by bit.

This video is using a 7/4 126bpm song playing in Biab 4/4 72bpm
Watch Video: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ygmv1abj171os7a/BB23-Audio-Edit-Scroll.mp4?dl=0

It's the same deal I can make up a UserTrack and it will drag the track out of the 72bpm Plugin into the DAW and match it's 126bpm (as long as you don't acidize the render to 72bmp and just import without tempo changes). The Plugin will play back the bars in sync to the DAW bars.
The issue is you dividing the bar into 7 so you need to be able to have chord changes on them, the PG 5/4 Style is Midi and it offsets the changes I think when I tried it last.
As I have no idea if the Plugin will become independent of bbw4 and these limitations.
The original suggestion was to just generate up one track or section of track at a time to allow DAW users to add extra session track instruments to their DAW recorded session. It was not going to be Biab in a Plugin but it seems to have gone that way, auto-accompaniment for a DAW. You want to be able to have something unique not a "song style" that other users are using, they sound good but when you hear exactly the same tracks in another user's song it's not unique. That's why I said if users want Biab in their DAW is to have a send transport sync VST to sync Biab to their DAW.
Maybe I have Biab cabin fever, stuck in a Box for too long frown trying to get out into the light.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
BB23-StyleMaker-Depth.png (77.16 KB, 153 downloads)
A
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
A
Thanks musocity! Can you provide exact steps for me to follow to reproduce this crash?

I have updated the message that you receive in the plugin to account for compound time signatures in Reaper so you should no longer see it if you set your Reaper project to 12/8 + 84bpm and plugin to 4/4 + 56bpm. Since compound time signatures are different in notation but are functionally the same as simple time signatures, I would recommend that you simply choose a time signature and tempo that match the plugin. This will reduce the confusion around adjusting the plugin tempo to match a compound time signature in the DAW, but will sound the exact same as what you are currently doing.

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I'm trying to get the bars in sync in the Plugin to the bars in the DAW so the signatures greater than 4/4 are spread across the one bar so the Plugin plays back in sync with the DAW.

"Notes: For time signature higher than 4/4, each bar is spread out over 2 or more bars (e.g. 5/4 will be written as 3/4+2/4). For 12/8 or 6/8, use 4/4 with a triplet feel (e.g. Irish). For 9/8, use a waltz."

Quote:
I would recommend that you simply choose a time signature and tempo that match the plugin.

Ya reckon, that's what we are all forced to do but I'm trying to get out of the box not stay in it. This comes up so many times in the forum over the years so I'm trying to find a way to fix the issue to allow "Look Ma RealTimeSignatures", maybe not in Biab but at least in the Plugin, if I mention about RealTimeSignatures in Biab the posts seem to get deleted or moved.

I do go to a lot of trouble trying to work out how to make things better but it always seems to be so easily dismissed, another Solo Mute button scenario.
The issues I work on are the recurring ones that keep coming up that are holding users back.
Quote:
Thanks musocity! Can you provide exact steps for me to follow to reproduce this crash?

That's all I do is provide exact steps, pics videos, long explanations that other companies seem to have no problem using to put that feature in their software, you just need to read all the posts and follow the steps.
I really try hard to come up with solutions, you can't expect users to sit their and wait ages for midi tracks to be generated up with a ton of wav files or wait for audio tracks, why use the Plugin instead of Biab that's much faster ??? Don't bury your heads in the sand get the issues sorted out once and for all.
Other companies have no problem coming here to get ideas that they then implement, I have seen this over n over.
Originally Posted By: Ronald Knit
Attention: Peter Gannon
Please consider fixing what is broken as designed: time signatures like 5/4, 7/8....
The existing "fix" of alternating 2/4 and 3/4 time signatures sounds terrible (the downbeat of each measure gets the same emphasis), and is horrible in notation.
I've been waiting for this to be resolved since the first version I bought which I believe I got on 5¼" floppy.
Thanks

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Quote:
The DAW is set to 12/8 84bpm and the VSTPlugin is set to 4/4 56bpm.

To clarify, the DAW does not seem to be counting 12/8 'correctly'. Instead of using dotted quarters for the beats (like Noel described above), it is considering two 8th notes to be a beat, which does not make sense musically. Setting the DAW to 4/4 is probably the best solution.

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Ronald Knit
Attention: Peter Gannon
Please consider fixing what is broken as designed: time signatures like 5/4, 7/8....
The existing "fix" of alternating 2/4 and 3/4 time signatures sounds terrible (the downbeat of each measure gets the same emphasis), and is horrible in notation.
I've been waiting for this to be resolved since the first version I bought which I believe I got on 5¼" floppy.
Thanks

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
It's the fitting that is the issue, I have no problem opening Musescore time signatures in Reaper. If I use ReWire with MuseScore and Reaper it syncs up but it don't sync up with Biab.
So all other software needs to change to match Biab ?

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Quote:
It's the fitting that is the issue, I have no problem opening Musescore time signatures in Reaper. If I use ReWire with MuseScore and Reaper it syncs up but it don't sync up with Biab.
So all other software needs to change to match Biab ?

12/8 can of course be notated correctly in MuseScore. As for playback, maybe try setting the tempo of the score to "dotted quarter = " instead of "quarter = ". If that doesn't fix it I'm not sure...

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
The whole idea of this exercise is to create tracks that will fit time signatures other than 4/4 3/4 and the bars in the daw sync with bars in the Plugin.
So if users have a daw session in a different sig and want to add other instruments to it they can. What I showed with the UserTrack is that it can be made to generate up and fit the daw time signature session. I have been here long enough to see users ask for this over n over, I can't ignore them.
Same way I could not ignore the slow generate speed users had waiting for tracks in the daw, so I showed a way of doing it, then I actually did it in Reaper what others said could not be done though you don't really hear anything at all from PG but mention time signature and they all come down on you like a ton of bricks, look how many PG staff replied but none of them said a thing about the instant gen/play of the source files. There was nothing, no discussion, no feedback, no testing, totally ignored, nothing.
Is anyone at PG allowed to independently think rather than group think ?
I said about Live Arranger, PG could do that before Yamaha did it then sure enough it was done by Ketron.

I think it's a fair enough thing to try and work out a way so users can do this rather than be limited to staying inside Biab or just using 3/4 4/4 in their daw.
Do you ever dream and think: you know it would be good to have instant gen/play and more time signatures in the Plugin ??
You need to start somewhere.

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
No, your project sounds very useful, especially for odd time signatures. I am only commenting on what I observed to be the root cause for the confusion on 12/8 time in BIAB vs. your DAW - which is the issue of dotted quarter vs. quarter. In Pro Tools there is a setting for this, and in MuseScore there appears to be as well. In some other DAWs it looks like there isn't a setting. They think of 12/8 as a simple time signature with 6 normal quarter notes, which is very strange, but is normally of no consequence because they aren't notation programs. You should put in a feature request for Reaper. In the meantime it might be simpler to set it to 4/4 and use the same tempo, rather than trying to do tempo gymnastics.

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
"You should put in a feature request for Reaper."
I put in a request to Reaper for it to play wma files accurately, they did that very quick after some testing and sorting out it plays on an old Celeron 5400rpm laptop with no issues. The only audio app that uses this wma format for their content is PG. Reaper had it rendering wma but then they took it out as they said it was too old and there are better formats now.
All the fake time signatures that go over more bars are not much use in the Plugin.
If you could set different time signatures in the Plugin and it would adjust the tempo accordingly to adjust the bar timing to align with the daw.
"In the meantime it might be simpler to set it to 4/4 and use the same tempo, rather than trying to do tempo gymnastics."
The "meantime" has been from the 90's. I think that was the original decision PG made as an after thought to give greater time signatures without reprogramming as the horse had bolted.
If you had real time signatures would you get users saying we don't want that, we want them spread over bars.

This is set to the same tempo:

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
I don't follow. Is this even a discussion about 12/8 ? Your DAW doesn't seem to support compound time signatures. How is that the fault of Band-in-a-Box?

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Just keep ignoring the issue and it will go away, no matter how many users complain about it, fudge it for another 30 years.
Since I came here you guys have had to be dragged out of the 90's kicking and screaming and it was no an easy task, look where you are now, you guys are so closed to what else was going on. If I didn't come here back in 09 you guys would still be behind so bad. So many bleeding obvious things were such a fight to get. I put so much time into it all with Reaper showing how easy things can be done and how fast the Plugin can be but it's all totally ignored ZERO response ZERO concern for users waiting ages. If I wasn't here you would not even have the Plugin. ZERO respect, it's like here we go again what's he on about now, solo mute buttons for RealBand and BBPlugin, he must be insane ! send VstTimeInfo get out of here ! Users don't mind using all those features and fixes that are in PG products now.
The easiest usual way that's done is just delete the post and get ya head back in the sand. Just cater for old users with old computers, they will live forever.
Give me some respect, please.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/prfgwuu2xpk63lh/Reaper-House-Original-Score.mp4?dl=0

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
What you achieve is very impressive in terms of expanding the functionality of existing programs, and working around limitations of Band-in-a-Box and other software. We have implemented many of your suggestions in some form over the past few years - not all, but definitely some.

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
It's always got to be a fight and reluctantly done.
I said about the Multiriff dialog last year that you should not be stuck in a jail, that was in Beta, the answer was "we have never had any issues about being stuck in dialogs before" end of discussion, yet I have posted for years n years about other dialogs you get stuck in and can't do anything then you have to go in n out in n out, I had to make up AHK scripts to access the main. Isn't the Alt+F8 way better ? but it was a fight. The fighting does take a physical toll, believe me.
Guys, you are not working on The Manhattan Project there.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Blake - PG Music 

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,577
Posts734,597
Members38,497
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai, Tony1234, trustedmedications, MAJORKEY
38,496 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 193