Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: AudioTrack
I'm also interested to know more about the statement "Korg keyboards for one."

I should add that the only Korg I have is a Krome 61 key with a 120v power power pack that transforms down to 12v. MIDI as well as OS and patch updating are done thru the MIDI port and my Focusrite interface. It has a USB connection on it but I have never used it.

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Eddie, I also have a seven-port USB/5v with multiple 110v AC outlets. I use it to charge the zillion lights on my recumbent bikes.

For 5v stuff for the computer, I use individual modules to power the mouse, for example. I also have a digital microscope on my desk to look at insects/diseases for identification on plants I grow that uses USB power. The individual modules are of various ampere ratings, from the type to charge the cell phones to slightly larger ones for higher ampere rated devices.

The seven-port device is okay for the garage but sort of clunky for the computer desk.

All this stuff has an ampere/milliampere rating that needs to be considered and matched to the use.

I have never looked at the output of any of these devices with an oscilloscope to see how much noise/ripple they generate or even measured the voltage to see how close to 5v dc they are.

I have a bunch of them, so I may go bust one of them up and look to see how it is made and do some testing. Not that they have caused me any known problems.

Billy

New location, new environment, new music coming soon

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
Some devices may not work well on an externally powered USB hub.

Curiously I found my new BiaB audiophile version didn't want to. No big issue as I chose to copy to the internal drive anyway. I've generally reckoned that most things will work wherever, provided the port supports the throughput OK.

Jazz relative beginner, starting at a much older age than was helpful.
Kawai MP6, Korg M50, Ui24R, Saffire Pro 40.
AVL:MXE Linux; Windows 11; Win8.1: Scarletts
BIAB2022 UltraPAK, Reaper, a bunch of stuff.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Gordon Scott
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
Some devices may not work well on an externally powered USB hub.

Curiously I found my new BiaB audiophile version didn't want to. No big issue as I chose to copy to the internal drive anyway. I've generally reckoned that most things will work wherever, provided the port supports the throughput OK.

A few years ago my PGM hard drive would not run from a powered hub. I haven't tried that again since then.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
MarioD #747832 01/04/23 03:53 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: MarioD
A few years ago my PGM hard drive would not run from a powered hub. I haven't tried that again since then.

But it ran okay on bus power... that is really weird. The power on this 10 port hub is exactly what comes from the USB bus on the computer. I had the VOM out yesterday and tested.

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Off-Topic
B
Journeyman
Journeyman
B
Originally Posted By: eddie1261

But it ran okay on bus power... that is really weird. The power on this 10 port hub is exactly what comes from the USB bus on the computer. I had the VOM out yesterday and tested.

But is it supplying enough amperage?

Byron Dickens

BIAB. CbB. Mixbus 32C 8 HP Envy. Intel core i7. 16GB RAM W10. Focusrite Scarlett 18i 20. Various instruments played with varying degrees of proficiency.

https://soundcloud.com/athanorsoundlabs
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Byron Dickens

Yep. Exactly mirrored the power on the USB3 port on my Dell. Very strange that stuff doesn't work.

Mario, do you have to use that cable that allows you to plug into 2 ports? That would double the amps.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Byron Dickens

Yep. Exactly mirrored the power on the USB3 port on my Dell. Very strange that stuff doesn't work.

Mario, do you have to use that cable that allows you to plug into 2 ports? That would double the amps.

Yes I did. But it was on a Win 10 machine or maybe when it was Win 7. It was USB2. It was some time ago.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
If it is a powered USB hub, running from the mains electricity, then surely it is designed to supply adequate power for the device loads.

Eddie, are there any specifications in terms of wattage etc on the hub?

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
The Amazon link:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Q3TYF15?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

ACASIS 10 Ports 48W USB 3.0 Data Hub - with Individual On/Off Switches and 12V/4A Power

So it delivers 4 amps at each output.

I currently have the wireless keyboard and mouse adapter, a Samsung tablet, an iPad, a Garmin GPS tracker and 2 cell phones plugged into it and have seen no performance anomalies at all.

When you think about it, the connection going from the power strip to the computer probably doesn't have anything connected to pin 1 and pin 4 where the power runs, only 2 and 3 where the data runs. The ports in the strip, obviously, and wired for +5v on pin 1 and ground on pin 4 on one side and of course reverse on the other so the hot sides mate.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I have a footpedal on my computer that allows me to program it and use it for keystroke function(s) that I might find repetitive for a particular task. There is a little app that programs what the pedal does. The app can't see the pedal if plugged into a powered USB hub.

After programming the pedal, I can move it back to the powered hub and it will work just fine, but if I want to change it to something else, I have to move it to the computer itself.

I don't know why, I just deal with it.

Insights and incites by Notes ♫

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I think we're nearly on the same page. The USB power is normally 5 volts, and that powered hub is certainly capable of delivering that 5 volts together with the power required (Watts). If there is an issue with any connection to another device, it's unlikely to be because the powered hub cannot supply the required current to maintain the 5 volt supply.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
One thing to remember is that ALL USB connections are powered. Bus power delivers the same 5v as an external hub. I have looked into this topic for years and nobody has ever been able to sell me a reason why some random device cares whether it is powered by bus power or external power. My best guess is that the issue is not the power side but the data stream side. It may be that external hubs (and I will call them that because as I said, ALL USB ports are powered from somewhere) with several devices connected were trying to pass too much data through a USB 2.0 port. USB 2.9 passed data at 480 mbps. 3.0 will pass data 10 times faster at almost 5gbps. (I actually had someone try to tell me one time that you shouldn't plug a 2.0 device into a 3.0 port. Amazing. That's like saying that if your water supply is only 480 psi that pushing that water through a hose that supports 4800 psi means the water won't flow.) I would buy it if they said not to WASTE a 3.0 port with a 2.0 device and then not have a 3.0 port available when you need it. That made me question why PC manufacturers would put BOTH on a computer. If 3.0 is available, and since you put 2 of them on "this" model apparently it is, why not make them ALL 3.0 and remove the mystery?

Shall we get into the conversation as to whether even passive hubs (with no wall power supply) are in a real sense "powered" hubs because the plug into the computer and thus are bus powered?

I only bought this things because I wanted more ports but didn't want to strain my power supply. I am moving the same amount of data as I always did. And data isn't moving through it unless I make it move. There are 4 devices that are just charging. Like the GHOS for example. It does nothing with data until I start the Garmin Express software to check for updates. There are a lot of people who don't understand basic concepts yet postulate theories. Like with amperage. A power supply isn't "shoving" amperes out all the time. It delivers them when you request them, and then when the load stops, it goes back to wait status. I ran into this a lot with people who thought they understood solar power and calculating how much battery was needed. Yet they didn't get that adding a second battery in parallel maintains the 12v but adds amps. One guy literally argued with me that adding a second battery would mean I then had 24v. No concept of parallel vs series.

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
One thing to remember is that ALL USB connections are powered.

That's correct and quite fundamental. The USB protocol uses the power on/off to do things like USB device resets and to start up the enumeration process, whereby the device introduces itself to the host and they negotiate what the device wants and what the host and/or hub says it can have.

USB ports have rules about what power can be taken from them and a unpowered hub can supply only what is allowed by the port into which it is plugged. Powered hubs have local autonomy on the power they can supply.

My best guess is that the issue is not the power side but the data stream side.

It could be both ... if the device says it wants 1A and the host or hub says it can't supply that, then the device will not operate or will operate in a lower-power mode.

It may be that external hubs (and I will call them that because as I said, ALL USB ports are powered from somewhere) with several devices connected were trying to pass too much data through a USB 2.0 port.

The device/hub/host will all also negotiate a throughput, but it will only be as fast as the whole chain can accept. I remember a time when thing like memory sticks would get an on-screen prompt that says they "may run faster if plugged into a USB ?.? port". Possibly that's now seen as "too hard for the average user", or maybe "Oh, they'll try another port anyway".

Shall we get into the conversation as to whether even passive hubs (with no wall power supply) are in a real sense "powered" hubs because the plug into the computer and thus are bus powered?

No, please don't. Better would be self-powered hubs versus host-powered hubs.

Jazz relative beginner, starting at a much older age than was helpful.
Kawai MP6, Korg M50, Ui24R, Saffire Pro 40.
AVL:MXE Linux; Windows 11; Win8.1: Scarletts
BIAB2022 UltraPAK, Reaper, a bunch of stuff.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Gordon Scott
...I remember a time when thing like memory sticks would get an on-screen prompt that says they "may run faster if plugged into a USB ?.? port". Possibly that's now seen as "too hard for the average user", or maybe "Oh, they'll try another port anyway"...

Now that's funny. And you're right, I don't see that message anymore. I made the assumption, probably wrong, that USB 3 is ubiquitous enough now.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
Now that's funny. And you're right, I don't see that message anymore. I made the assumption, probably wrong, that USB 3 is ubiquitous enough now.

What's funny about that for me Matt is the concept that Fred The User can perceive that a file loads faster or slower. When you consider that to load a non executable file first the computer launches the executable attached to the file type, again, Fred The User doesn't even understand that to view that picture of Fluffy the Cat you are first launching the program you have assigned to open images. Or to play sound files, or edit word processor docs... Not one bit of that has anything to do with the speed of a USB port.

I used to LOVE walking into a house to diagnose a problem and sit down at a real piece of crap computer with 4gb of RAM in it, double digit gigabytes of temp files, 4 years of browser history and a complaint that "the internet connection is really slow". Well, no it isn't. It's just that everything you do is first searching through your cache to see if that 3mb image is already on your hard drive before downloading it again. All this on a 12 mpbs connection. I did my best to be tactful but at a point you run out of polite ways to say "The problem is that you have no idea what you are doing here." I usually dump my tmp file folder several times PER DAY!

Then there was the call where the issue was the CD burner wasn't working and "making a funny noise". I drove all the way over to that house, opened the CD drive to make sure the CD wasn't all scratched up to find that they had grabbed 2 CDs when they went to put a CD in to burn it. And the one who called me at 11:15pm to tell me that her kids were playing the pinball game and the computer froze, and it won't shut off even with the power button. I said "You woke me up for THAT? Have you even considered pulling the power cord out of the wall?" She sheepishly said "No." I tried to resist but I had to say it. "You are a JUDGE on the SUPREME COURT of Ohio! You are the most brilliant woman I have ever known and it never occurred to you to pull the power cord?" She just laughed and said "Nope. Go back to bed. I'll send you a check." Or the guy who held a Masters in Chemical Engineering who took my suggestion to order more RAM. He ordered an 8gb stick. The next week he called me to tell me he tried to install it and it took some force but he got it in and now the computer won't boot up. I went over there to find he had managed to force it into an IDE slot. I have NO idea how he even managed to make it fit.

Matt, if you come to Herbstock I bet we could trade "IT Stories of the Damned" for hours.

Last edited by eddie1261; 01/05/23 07:08 AM.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
LOL, good stuff there, Eddie. Luckily, I haven't had to deal with customers like that in my IT history.

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,402
Posts732,575
Members38,444
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Descoward, danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J
38,443 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200