Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Greetings - and Happy New Year to one and all!!!

I'm about to pull the trigger on the PreSonus HP4 4-Channel Compact Headphone Amplifier and I have a question about how I should hook it up to my Focusrite 8i6 interface.

I've seen some people suggest that I just plug one end of the wire to the headphone input on the front of the Focusrite and plug the other end into the PreSonus. But if that's the way to do it, what are the input/outputs on the back of the PreSonus for? I'm thinking - and I might be wrong (it wouldn't be the first time) - that the connections should be done with these. And if so, how exactly should I be running the wires for this type of connection?

All input (no pun intended) would be greatly appreciated!!!

Expert
Expert
As the Presonus has separate left and right inputs and thru outputs, I would suggest that it's expected to be connected to line outputs from the Focusrite and if you want to send those same line outputs onward to the, e.g., PA, then you plug the PA into the Presonus Thru ports.

As the Focusrite has four outputs, you could also give separate feeds to the Presonus and the PA.

The Focusrite headphone outputs have, of course, their own independent volume controls. That would allow a total of six headphones. There seems to be no way to control the mix for individual players.

Jazz relative beginner, starting at a much older age than was helpful.
Kawai MP6, Korg M50, Ui24R, Saffire Pro 40.
AVL:MXE Linux; Windows 11; Win8.1: Scarletts
BIAB2022 UltraPAK, Reaper, a bunch of stuff.
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Hi Gordon... thanks for the comeback.
I'm pretty sure that now, after giving it a lot of thought and research that I won't have any trouble getting it hooked up. I'll be getting it tomorrow and will let you know how I make out.

Veteran
Veteran
I didn't have time to look up the two units in question, but in general, make the connection in this order of priority:

• digital to digital (S/PDIF or optical TOSLINK) if available
  • line out to line in
  • only as a last resort, from the headphone jack or speaker out

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
The line outs from the back of the Focusrite should go to the headphone amp.
That has two benefits;
The headphone amp gets the expected signal (with separate volume controls on the headphone amp)
The headphone outputs on the Focusrite are still available

So you've gained headphone outputs (on the Focusrite) and retained signal quality to the headphone amp.
We've been running that way for years with an 8 Out headphone amp.
Using a headphone out to feed a headphone amp would degrade the signal IMO

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Veteran
Veteran
To use the line outs at the rear of the unit you'll need to configure the management software to allow this and to send the main stereo mix to it.
You'd need to suss out if you need to use 1/3 or or 1/2 etc. The software will let you know. You'll have to set the software to have two lines running to your monitor amp and two to the headphone amp.

On the headphone amp you insert a standard mono jack for each of your stereo channels. Those can run directly from the back of the Focusrite or you could use a Y cable and run from one of the headphone sockets at the from of the FR. There are two so it's not really going to be a problem. The 8i6 is a bit of a con, (I had an older version & love it BUT...), as the non digital inputs on the back will, in many instances, need an external preamp. Two front combo inputs with preamps on the front, stereo SPDF = 2 digital inputs at the back and the additional analogue inputs at the back, (needing pres)= 8. I found that out the hard way and bought two stereo/2 channel preamps to allow me to record a drum kit.

When I'm recording a couple of people I use a Behringer MINIAMP AMP800 Headphone Amplifier that's straight out of the headphone socket of my SSL2. Everyone gets the same mix but that's generally OK.Though it has multiple inputs so that an interface can, if needed & set up for it, send multiple mixes to the h/amp and they be heard by the appropriate people at different levels etc. by selecting the input front the front panel.

I'm not sure I'd be interested in the "monitor/through" arrangement...that's sending the signal to your monitors along an uncertain path in terms of signal impact etc.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
frs8i6.JPG (27.1 KB, 137 downloads)
fr2.JPG (38.42 KB, 137 downloads)
pres.JPG (39.78 KB, 137 downloads)
preview_1.jpg (94.41 KB, 134 downloads)
Last edited by rayc; 01/06/23 09:04 PM.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
Veteran
Veteran
We never actually discussed why you need this. I'm assuming three or four people (i.e. more than two) will use headphones and want their own volume (though not their own mix; that's much more involved but possible). If you only have two people using headphones, then I would have recommended long headphone extension cords.

As the headphone amp only has 1/4" input jacks, that lets out any consideration of digital.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Well, the PreSonus arrived today and I"m over the moon in love with it. It's very much more than I could ever expect.

I had been using crappy, cheap headphones for years. So, using the Amazon gift card that Santa brought me I treated myself to a set of Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO - 250 OHM LE Professional Studio Headphones (Limited Black Edition) When they arrived I discovered that I had to crank the headphone volume knob on the Focusrite literally up to the max and they still weren't even close to being loud enough.

So, doing some more research - that I should have done before I ordered them - I found that in fact an amplifier was suggested for maximum performance. As I said, the phones didn't cost me anything out of pocket so I really don't mind putting out for the amp.

Hooking it up was a breeze. Turns out, it came with an illustration card showing me exactly where to plug in four wires. Basically it is idiot proof. There are no drivers to install and no Focusrite software adjustments needed. It's truly plug-n-play right out of the box.

Actually, I've always found that the earphone outputs on the Focusrite were never what I would call powerful. I would have to turn the volume knob up to around 3/4 in order to get the volume I wanted.

Compared to what I had been using, these things sound like heaven. They're a MAJOR step up for me.

I bought the Focusrite 8i6 because at the time I was using old sound modules and needed the extra input/outputs to hook them up. But there came a point where it became frustrating. It seemed like I was constantly looking for the proper connections. And so I decided to go modern and began collecting an using only VST's which to me was a fantastic decision. I even have a lot more space on my desk. smile Bottom line is that I'm really having fun and loving my music again.

I bought the PreSonus because there are times when I have 2 old band mates come over to do some recording, just for fun. One is a bass player and the other is a lead guitarist. We use BIAB for drums and any other instruments we may want to throw into the mix. One of the guys has a couple sets of decent quality headphones that he'll be bringing with him when he's over. Fact is, I don't need the extra outputs all of the time as I'm alone most of the time. But it's nice knowing they're there when I do need them.

Music used to be my occupation until I retired some years ago. It is now my hobby. Every hobby will cost a few bucks when first starting out. My "studio" is nowhere close to being a professional recording studio and never will be. But the money I have invested into something that gives me hours upon hours of total enjoyment is money very well spent in my opinion.

Thanks again for the comebacks... very much appreciated!!!

Veteran
Veteran
Very good.

I have the same Beyerdynamic 770 headphones.

B
Journeyman
Journeyman
B
I also own the Presonus HP4 Headphone amp. It has plenty of volume. The way mine is setup is I took the main outputs from my Presonus Audiobox and went to the inputs of the HP4. Then I sent the outputs of the HP4 to my M-Audio BX5a powered monitors. I am also using a dbx 286s mic pre-amp before the AudioBox. This setup works for me.

BIAB 2024 Ultrapack- Studio One Pro 6.5 Windows 10

Veteran
Veteran
Yes, some headphone amps can serve as a pass-through as Brian describes, to make them monitor controllers. Press a button and it cuts off the feed to the powered monitors. My GraceDesign m900 does this.

Expert
Expert
That Behringer headphone amp is long discontinued. I'm surprised that any still work. That entire series was way too noisy for my taste as were my other Behringer PowerPlay 'phone amps. Good riddance.

My favorite compact unit is this $40 baby from Mackie. Takes a headphone out, gives you 4 with individual volume. Loud, clean and almost no self noise. Wall wart included, shielded stereo TRS cable is not,

Mackie HM-4

BIAB 2023 Audiophile, 24/60 Core M2 Mac Studio Ultra/8TB/192GB Sonoma, M1 MBAir, 2012 MBP
Digital Performer 11, LogicPro
Finale27.4, Dorico5, Encore5, SmartScorePro64, Notion6, Overture5
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
The PreSonus has a dedicated power monitor volume knob which is independent from the four headphone out volume knobs. I keep the volume knob on the speakers between 1/4 and 1/2 and the PreSonis knob about the same. There's no "hissing" sound whatsoever. There's more than enough power if ever I want the monitor's volume louder.

The other thing I saw when I was researching the PreSonus was that it has no power on/off switch and this is true. I really wasn't concerned with this because it is on my desk and it would be very easy to just pull the power cord out. But I was greatly surprised and happy to find that there is an on/off switch on the power cord.

Last edited by bobbyt9999; 01/09/23 04:46 PM.
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Mike Halloran
That Behringer headphone amp is long discontinued. I'm surprised that any still work. That entire series was way too noisy for my taste as were my other Behringer PowerPlay 'phone amps. Good riddance.

Not sure who mentioned Behringer that you are replying to.
One thing I noticed with the Powerplay headphone amps was the closer you got to the Power button, the noisier the outputs got.
The first 2-3 outs from the far side were fine, but the last couple near the power can get pretty noisy, and gradually so in between. (they had 8 outs)
My experience anyway.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: rharv

Not sure who mentioned Behringer that you are replying to.

Sometimes, you have to scroll up. The old MiniAmp series pictured suffered from plastic deterioration over time. Sound great at first then every one I knew fell apart — from the internal heat is my guess.

Quote:
One thing I noticed with the Powerplay headphone amps was the closer you got to the Power button, the noisier the outputs got.
The first 2-3 outs from the far side were fine, but the last couple near the power can get pretty noisy, and gradually so in between. (they had 8 outs)
My experience anyway.

Oh yea, those units were terrible—versatile, yes but I got to the point where there was no place I could put mine — sounded like they picked up every stray electric field in the Silicon Valley. When they were new, there was nothing on the market anywhere near the price, however.

That was then, however. Now we have plenty of excellent choices including the Presonus if you need the control and the Mackie if you prefer the simplicity.

BIAB 2023 Audiophile, 24/60 Core M2 Mac Studio Ultra/8TB/192GB Sonoma, M1 MBAir, 2012 MBP
Veteran
Veteran
The old MiniAmp series pictured suffered from plastic deterioration over time. Sound great at first then every one I knew fell apart — from the internal heat is my guess.

Mine is in A1 physical condition, works a treat, isn't noisier than others I tried, and does what I need. For several years it lived in a rack of gear but is now on the front left of my mix desk. No interference other than the RFI & EMI that my entire house suffers.
Perhaps I'm lucky.
I don't replace stuff until it's no longer fit for purpose.

Last edited by rayc; 02/16/23 02:35 AM.

Cheers
rayc
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Originally Posted By: rayc
The old MiniAmp series pictured suffered from plastic deterioration over time. Sound great at first then every one I knew fell apart — from the internal heat is my guess.

Mine is in A1 physical condition, works a treat, isn't noisier than others I tried, and does what I need. For several years it lived in a rack of gear but is now on the front left of my mix desk. No interference other than the RFI & EMI that my entire house suffers.
Perhaps I'm lucky.
I don't replace stuff until it's no longer fit for purpose.

"Mine is in A1 physical condition, works a treat, isn't noisier than others I tried, and does what I need." Same for me with the exception I have two units.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Expert
Expert
Good for both of you. The ones I bought for myself and my daughter fell apart, literally. Some of the plastic pieces crumbled. There was a matching monitor controller that suffered the same fate.

Outside RFI and EMF are a big issue in my studio. If there’s a stray field in the Silicon Valley, my gear picks it up. About 10 years ago, I bought a pair of star-quad interconnect cables and the improvement was dramatic. I have since rewired my studio with them.

I do not subscribe to the mystic jumbo-jumbo surrounding cable. If you can’t hear the difference, in this case, noise reduction, you don’t need star-quad. I get mine custom made by SESCOM through Markertek at about 1/3 the price of so-called “premium” cables through most channels such as Sweetwater. If it’s not one of their standard listings, SSCOM will make anything I want.

SESCOM Star Quad/Markertek

Amazon has it now, also
Amazon Basics Star Quad

Veteran
Veteran
Good for both of you. The ones I bought for myself and my daughter fell apart, literally. Some of the plastic pieces crumbled. There was a matching monitor controller that suffered the same fate.

Outside RFI and EMF are a big issue in my studio. If there’s a stray field in the Silicon Valley, my gear picks it up. About 10 years ago, I bought a pair of star-quad interconnect cables and the improvement was dramatic. I have since rewired my studio with them.

I do not subscribe to the mystic jumbo-jumbo surrounding cable. If you can’t hear the difference, in this case, noise reduction, you don’t need star-quad. I get mine custom made by SESCOM through Markertek at about 1/3 the price of so-called “premium” cables through most channels such as Sweetwater. If it’s not one of their standard listings, SSCOM will make anything I want.

SESCOM Star Quad/Markertek

Amazon has it now, also
Amazon Basics Star Quad

I use a power conditioner,iron chokes on all cables as well as better insulated cables and a D.I. box for bass that allows me to send balanced signal to the interface. The differences are audible but still not enough to leave me happy. I need to use ReaFir on all channels I've tracked with guitar/bass etc. It used to be a hassle but I've set up templates so that the work flow is only minimally altered. Basically if I walk out into the front yard with a fluro tube it will light up.

Cheers
rayc
Expert
Expert
Yea, I already had iron chokes and an expensive power conditioner before I tried star quad. The power conditioner is still in place but the chokes are gone.

My first pair was on my studio monitors and the difference was dramatic. Easy to compare by trying one first.

I also tried making a star quad power cable for my subwoofer — lots of those around here for sensitive equipment — but that had no effect.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,395
Posts732,500
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195