Page 1 of 2 1 2
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
D
DFT Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
D
I wish selected bars could be frozen and unfrozen ... including obviously the parts of the tracks contained within those bars, while permitting regeneration of unfrozen bars entirely, or tracks therein not otherwise frozen.

This and the opposite ability to regenerate 'en masse' selected bars and their constituent tracks ... other than any frozen, would be a tremendous step forward for BIAB's workflow.

I was encouraged to post this in the Wishlist following a post in another forum here on Bar Freezing. It contains a fuller description of how this might work.

Help! I've fallen up and can't get down!
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
I thought when you Alt+F8 a section the track state is then set to frozen but you can still Alt+F8 other sections on that track still but it won't destroy everything if you hit Gen/Play ?

If you had freeze individual sections you would need to keep track of them all, maybe in the Audio Edit view highlight that section of track on that instrument (bars or beats) then right click Freeze Section then it will have a blue overlay color maybe ? and right click Un-Freeze Section or Un-Freeze All Sections ?
It would have to work with midi also for when they add that multiriff for midi function, so maybe that could use the Audio Edit window of the midi track ?

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
BB23-Freeze-Sections.png (74.18 KB, 193 downloads)
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
C
Expert
Expert
C
Sorry, but I don't think it's a good idea. You can already do that with partial regeneration, just need to think differently (regenerate what you don't like instead of keeping what you like).
Adding a new way to do something that you can already do with the program would not add any extra value, it could be potentially confusing for other users, and it would require extra development resources that could be employed in GUI redesign / simplification or bug fixing.

BIAB 2024, latest build.
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
D
DFT Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
D
Originally Posted By: Cerio
Sorry, but I don't think it's a good idea. You can already do that with partial regeneration, just need to think differently (regenerate what you don't like instead of keeping what you like).
Adding a new way to do something that you can already do with the program would not add any extra value, it could be potentially confusing for other users, and it would require extra development resources that could be employed in GUI redesign / simplification or bug fixing.

No need to be sorry. There's room for many opinions here.

You may already understand this, but just to be sure it's clear, what I propose is actually more than what 'ALT+F8' can do. The current iteration of 'ALT + F8' only permits regeneration of a single track in a static arrangement. A 'Bar Freeze' approach would permit regeneration of all tracks for a specified section of the Chord Sheet or selected bars.

This accomplishes at least three important things. One would be to add or remove pushes, holds, shots and rests or simply change a chord to the entire arrangement without having to regenerate track by track. Another would be to make a style change, either changing the selection of the A, B, etc. patterns or adding a whole new style to part of a song. And finally, it would take less time than having to regenerate tracks one at a time.

I would be equally satisfied if I could make a similar selection of bars and regenerate all in a single pass, keeping the rest temporarily frozen.

Six of one, half dozen of another.

Last edited by DFT; 01/04/23 08:34 AM.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
As I said in the other thread, this is a different way of looking at it and I can see more efficiency in doing it this way. Less regeneration time; not limited to one area.

+1

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
+1

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
D
DFT Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
D
Originally Posted By: musocity

If you had freeze individual sections you would need to keep track of them all, maybe in the Audio Edit view highlight that section of track on that instrument (bars or beats) then right click Freeze Section then it will have a blue overlay color maybe ? and right click Un-Freeze Section or Un-Freeze All Sections ?

Why not simply on the Chord Sheet? Have the bars colored or a colored or heavy frame around the bar?

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
You have 24 tracks with different sections frozen I don't know how you would display that all on the chord sheet ? you will have to post a pic.
Someone said about a multitrack audio display like a DAW ?
Biab does seem to be moving into a DAW.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
P
Apprentice
Apprentice
P
I don't want or expect it to move into a DAW. I've got a couple that work just fine.

The idea of a frozen section is that all tracks in that section are frozen. So, what else is to keep track of?

If you wanted to Alt+8 one of those frozen tracks in the section, well while you were doing so that track would revert to unfrozen and when you were done it would reconfirm to its brethren.

Even so, that's not the idea. The idea is one section or more of bars is at the moment foresee-ably finished/ done/ perfect/ etc. and you don't want to mess further with it ... but later if you change your mind you still can.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Like this so it freezes the Master of that section ? so it applies to the song section rather than individual tracks ?
I think it's already becoming a DAW with all those extra tracks instead of standard BB 7, so you have a 24 track workstation with digital audio, that horse has bolted.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
BB23-Freeze-Master-Section.png (54.44 KB, 231 downloads)
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
C
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
C
Originally Posted By: DFT
I wish selected bars could be frozen and unfrozen ... including obviously the parts of the tracks contained within those bars, while permitting regeneration of unfrozen bars entirely, or tracks therein not otherwise frozen.

This and the opposite ability to regenerate 'en masse' selected bars and their constituent tracks ... other than any frozen, would be a tremendous step forward for BIAB's workflow.

I was encouraged to post this in the Wishlist following a post in another forum here on Bar Freezing. It contains a fuller description of how this might work.

<The idea is one section or more of bars is at the moment foresee-ably finished/ done/ perfect/ etc. and you don't want to mess further with it ... but later if you change your mind you still can. >

In this particular situation a good solution is to use BIAB's Artist Performance File feature to freeze and save bars, because it meets all of these qualifications.

An Artist Performance File can include all of the tracks of a section of bars or any combination of using some instruments and excluding others. It's an appropriate solution regardless of a track or bar's media type content. It works with midi, supermidi, loops, RealTracks, audio or any combination of these.

Using the Artist Performance File feature allows continued editing and regeneration of the entire Chord Sheet and then include the saved APF or APF's to replace the desired bars in the final render.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
P
Apprentice
Apprentice
P
Originally Posted By: musocity
Like this so it freezes the Master of that section ? so it applies to the song section rather than individual tracks ?

Yes, that is exactly the idea. I'm not sure about what you mean about "Master of that section?"

I conceive of it as a selection of bars, which could of course be an entire chorus. It would be obvious if the Chord Sheet was unfolded, but otherwise it would be illustrated as the choruses played through.

Something like, 'freeze bars 1-16 chorus two.'

F5 window would be the logical place to work from.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
P
Apprentice
Apprentice
P
Thanks, Jim.

I will be looking into using that.

This also suggests that there is already coding that should make a like function not that much of a reach to incorporate into the normal Chord Sheet workflow.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
This is a good idea. It is the way I thought it should have been at the very beginning. But please don't call it "Inverse Regeneration" cry , I get confused enough with the operation of these new features to have to deal with reverse thinking crazy !

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: MusicStudent
This is a good idea. It is the way I thought it should have been at the very beginning. But please don't call it "Inverse Regeneration" cry , I get confused enough with the operation of these new features to have to deal with reverse thinking crazy !
Sometimes the newer users see things as they could have been, rather than as our experience has taught us to work with them, and I think this is one such case. What do you want to call it, Dan? "Generate where you want" has a nice ring to it. laugh

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
D
DFT Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
D
Originally Posted By: MusicStudent

I don't really have a dog ... or even a cat in that fight.

Honestly, I used that title for the Wishlist post as I thought it could draw attention to reading it. As in, 'what the hell is this about?'

How about 'Composition Lock?' Oops! I'm afraid that's the inverse of Matt's suggestion.

Last edited by DFT; 01/06/23 10:12 AM.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Prado
.. I'm not sure about what you mean about "Master of that section?"...

It's like if you had a Freeze button on the Master track it would freeze All tracks same as if you press the Mute button on the Master track it mutes all tracks.
At the moment you have to go to menu Play > Freeze All Tracks
So any section you freeze on the Master will freeze on All tracks.

BB23-Master-Freeze.png (34 KB, 69 downloads)
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
D
DFT Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
D
OK, but I don't want to freeze all tracks. I only want to freeze the parts of all tracks contained within specified bars or sections which I select.

If you think about a spread sheet, I don't want to just freeze a row, which is what is similar to current track freeze. I want to freeze all rows in sections of columns. Columns being similar to the bars in the Chord Sheet.

I would need the master bus for the unfrozen sections I still want to work on.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
That is just an example that it needs also if you want to freeze All tracks when done. The bar freeze will be a separate freeze for just the section/s of track but on the Master.
If that's what you all want.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
D
DFT Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
D
I'm probably a bit thick about this.

How might this happen? You click on the Master Bus somewhere and a smaller Chord Sheet opens where you select the bars you want frozen?

I can see that having a function on the Master Bus where you freeze everything so you don't inadvertently regenerate would be handy, but I'm flummoxed as to how this would work with bar/ section freezing.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,402
Posts732,575
Members38,444
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Descoward, danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J
38,443 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200