Print Thread
Go To
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
L
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
L
Wondering if my Intel i3 9100 is good enough for BIAB 2023 UltraPAK?

I want to upgrade from my 2022 MegaPAK version, which works fine on the i3 9100.

Would this be a go or no-go for the 2023 UltraPAK?

Also, would the UltraPAK external HD work with USB 2.0?

Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
In my opinion the answer is that you will be fine. I have not noticed any new features that would stress a system in 2023 more than in 2022.

An i3 of your 2018 vintage should be well more than enough to run BIAB just fine. 4 cores, decent sized cache, decent frequency. It's better than what I have on my backup system.

I also believe the supplied USB drive will work OK with USB 2 since USB is backward compatible, but of course you know it's designed for USB 3. In other words, it will work; it just won't work as fast to generate RealTracks.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
The Intel i3 9100 should be fine for the 2023 UltraPAK. The same Band-in-a-Box and RealBand programs are provided in all packages, ProPAK, MegaPAK, UltraPAK and Audiophile. The amount of content each package contains is different.

The 2023 UltraPAK hard drive works fine on a USB 2.0 port.

However I would go into the computer power management or device settings and make sure "sleep" setting is disabled, or turned-off, for all USB ports. Sleep is a power saving timer setting that turns off usb port power when the port is not accessed for some time. You want an external hard drive to always have power.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Leo.

anytime you need info on a processor just enter in google..
'cpubenchmark.net and the model of the processor'

eg in your case cpubenchmark.net i3 9100.

and you will see the processors performance stats.

SO in your case ….

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i3-9100+%40+3.60GHz&id=3479

notice particularly the 'math scores' downpage as music production software // dsp uses math. huge amounts of it. so comparing math scores using cpu benchmark can be rather useful imho.

let me say tons of songs have been done with less than a 9100.BUT there is one 'wrinkle' and a 'depends'.

eg if you anticipate using huge trak counts outside biab and also very importantly plug ins that hog cpu processing cycles.
in summary the 9100 might choke on huge track and large numbers of plug ins needing lots of 'cpu grunt'.
so in this respect without getting further details from you tis difficult to say..eg do you anticipate a change whereby you use new cpu hogging plug ins ??

having said the above if your current biab version works i see no reason why 2023 wont.

further if your longer term needs are to run huge track counts in a daw with gobs of cpu plug ins that demand lots of cpu grunt…you might consider one of the upper end processors in the following list depending on trak n' plug in count needs…..

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

but of course the processor costs get very high rather like joining an elite golf club…lol.

in my case i just got a new pc...a ryzen mini pc running biab/rb/reaper which cost peanuts.. and am a happy little lad.

but ymmv i dont run loads of cpu hogging plug ins etc etc.
my typical song maxes out at 40 traks and a smattering of low cpu useage plug ins.

have a great year

om

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 01/07/23 08:13 AM.

New Song "PRETTY GIRL" for my wife...Dec 2023
(my vocs....mixed for good earbuds.)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs/prettygirlrbfinalcalfsongsdec2023mp3
(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
L
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
L
Appreciate all the replies!

No, I don't use a whole lot of tracks, and I have just a modest amount of plug-ins, which in any case I don't think I would ever use in BIAB. So I should be fine.

Last edited by Leovigild; 01/09/23 09:27 AM.
L
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
L
Originally Posted By: Jim Fogle
However I would go into the computer power management or device settings and make sure "sleep" setting is disabled, or turned-off, for all USB ports. Sleep is a power saving timer setting that turns off usb port power when the port is not accessed for some time. You want an external hard drive to always have power.

Why would I need the UltraPAK HD to always have power? I had intended to just unplug it from the USB port when I was done with a session.

And of course just plug it back in for the next session. Why is this wrong?

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Leovigild
Originally Posted By: Jim Fogle

Why would I need the UltraPAK HD to always have power? I had intended to just unplug it from the USB port when I was done with a session.

Nothing wrong the way you are using the HD. If you keep the HD plugged in and are a heavy user, that's a different story.

Last edited by MikeK; 01/09/23 10:35 AM.

Cheers,
Mike

My Music * Asus ROG Strix G15CF 32 GB DDR4 4TB HDD + 1 TB SSD NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 8GB Win 11 AKAI EIE PRO Sound Interface. BIAB/RB 2024 UltraPak Build - Latest
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran

Presumably you dismount the device from the Operating System first before unplugging it?

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
L
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
L
Originally Posted By: AudioTrack

Presumably you dismount the device from the Operating System first before unplugging it?

Thanks for that tip, but I never used an external HD before. What is "dismount the device?" And is that a PITA process?

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Quote:
Thanks for that tip, but I never used an external HD before. What is "dismount the device?" And is that a PITA process?

On Windows, usually on the right-hand side of the task bar, there is a "safely remove hardware" icon. You should use this before unplugging the HD. In my experience, occasionally you need to click on it twice to eject, but it is not in general a PITA process.

Here is a handy tip.
Right-click 'This PC' --> Manage --> Disk Management. Find the UltraPAK HD, right-click and 'change drive letter'. Set it to a letter like "U" (doesn't matter, as long as it's later in the alphabet).

The reason for this is the drive letter used for the UltraPAK can change if you are disconnecting / reconnecting it, if you also have some other USB devices, and this can sometimes cause some hiccups (for example BIAB might look for a recently loaded file at G:\bb\songs, when your drive is in fact now H:\bb\songs.

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
That’s a great tip by Andrew. All my USB external drives have drive letters from L through T for that reason: the drive letters remain constant. This dates back to the very early days of personal computers when your floppy disk was drive A, and they made the boot drive C because someone just might have another device using B!

The reason you must always eject a drive properly is that there may be data in the buffer not yet written to the drive, so a file can become corrupted. This is not as likely with BIAB because you are mostly reading files, not writing them, if you only use the drive for RealTracks and RealDrums. But don’t take the risk; eject the drive properly before unplugging it.

I use a handy utility for this called USB Safely Remove. It can deal with the case Andrew mentioned where a drive doesn’t want to let go.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
L
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
L
Aha! "safely remove hardware" is all what "dismount the device" meant. Do some computers (Macs, presumably) use "dismount the device?" So that's all it is, I was afraid there was a 13-step cable-pulling, 63-click process involved lol

Thanks for that tip about renaming the HD!

Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Different terms for eject and dismount; same thing.

Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Another reason to eject / safely remove the drive is to avoid a head-crash, where the drive head remains somewhere over the disk surface when power was removed, rather than correctly parking it in its home position.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,396
Posts732,513
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195