Print Thread
Go To
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Songwriting
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Billy wrote this:

“All joking aside and excluding subjective "art" subjects, this AI very well could cause severe disruptions to the highly educated workforce.”

ChatGPT wrote this:

“In the next five years, it is likely that AI will begin to reduce employment for college-educated workers. As the technology continues to advance, it will be able to perform tasks that were previously thought to require a high level of education and skill. This could lead to a displacement of workers in certain industries, as companies look to cut costs by automating processes. While it is difficult to predict the exact extent of this trend, it is clear that AI will have a significant impact on the job market for college-educated workers. It will be important for individuals to stay up to date on the latest developments in AI and to consider how their skills and expertise can be leveraged in a world where machines are increasingly able to perform many tasks.”

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2023/01/chatgpt-ai-economy-automation-jobs/672767/

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Wow...even the AI is sounding the alarm.

I guess me being only a semi-educated redneck will have its advantage...lol

You want beef, I have cows...lol

Billy

New location, new environment, new music coming soon

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
I have to wonder if the access to ChatGPT will continue in the same freely accessible way. I can no longer log on to the site. Perhaps this is just a temporary condition.

I had no idea about the vast amounts of money that has been spent to date on ChatGPT. Microsoft has invested three billion and is seriously considering investing another ten billion.

This may be a fun toy for us to experiment with writing lyrics/music, but the importance of this program has next to nothing to do with art.

I think we will soon need to get out our checkbook if we want to access ChatGPT.

Billy

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo
Songwriting
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Planobilly
I think we will soon need to get out our checkbook if we want to access ChatGPT.
Billy

I think you're right on the money there, Billy. Make it free to get massive publicity, and then recoup the investment costs.
A smart business model indeed.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Songwriting
Expert
Expert
We mustn't forget that artificial intelligence is just that ... artificial. It puts things together based upon chance and probabilities. It's quite possible that the 'novella' is a complete or near-complete version of something on which it was trained.

Lots of software-oriented people, at least in older age groups, must have written one of those "report writers" that churn our pages of apparently intelligent verbiage, using all the buzz-phrases of the day, but actually saying nothing meaningful. Much like some humans actually laugh

ChatGPT is clearly doing a much better job of beginning, middle and end, and wrapping up the story sensibly, but its still really an enhanced version of the same thing.

Jazz relative beginner, starting at a much older age than was helpful.
Kawai MP6, Korg M50, Ui24R, Saffire Pro 40.
AVL:MXE Linux; Windows 11; Win8.1: Scarletts
BIAB2022 UltraPAK, Reaper, a bunch of stuff.
Songwriting
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Good point.

How much is really truly 'Artificial Intelligence' (independently thinking and reasoning by itself and having an independent ability to form an opinion) and how much as clever pattern matching of things it has already learned simply by being exposed to massive amounts of data?

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
I am currently investigating how ChatGPT and others can be used to make money. I have considered for a long time that I need to reinvent myself and take on the modern world. Becoming skilled at programming has always been a consideration.

ChatGPT is capable of generating code that plays into my way of thinking. "I don't have to be the expert. I only need to know how to get the experts to work for me.

There are things that can be generated with AI that can be sold.

More to come.

Billy

Seize the moo-ment
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: AudioTrack
Good point.

How much is really truly 'Artificial Intelligence' (independently thinking and reasoning by itself and having an independent ability to form an opinion) and how much as clever pattern matching of things it has already learned simply by being exposed to massive amounts of data?

Hey Trev

If you think about the hundreds of thousands of dollars doctors spend to become doctors, there is not so much independent thinking that goes on.
They go to school to be exposed and try to remember "massive amounts of data." For a human to have the ability to form an opinion and make logical, independent decisions requires large amounts of "data."

We have a minimal view of AI when looking at it from the perspective of music/art. There are some genuinely scary things going on with AI. They are being developed to make independent decisions to fire on and kill humans in military situations.

We are becoming more and more dependent on software to make decisions for us humans. No one uses manual calculations to do structural engineering any longer; everything is done on a computer program.

Ai is the logical extension of that sort of thing.

What does human intelligence actually mean? How far are we away from duplicating that? Most likely closer than we would like because of the potential dangers involved.

All this is not just something that is going on here in the USA. DeepMind, a London-based company, has expanded worldwide.

I think we are already living in the future. We are just not totally aware of where we have gotten to.

Billy

Seize the moo-ment
Songwriting
Expert
OP Offline
Expert

Nah. How much does it cost to run a Google search or get a Facebook account? The new software megabusiness model doesn't depend on withholding access.

Besides, ChatGPT/OpenAI wants the interactions to learn from. When you talk to it, it also talks to you (as Nietzsche said) and for all we know subtly manipulates you to fill in areas it's interested in. Never mind typing, think of all the stuff people paste into it, gobs and gobs of text it would never see otherwise. Free users are a gold mine of freely provided data.

I believe monetization will come from things like: third-party companies embedding the GPT-3 AI engine in full-on commercial products built on top of the API. Which is already happening; see this Wikipedia article, at "Applications". That's the sort of service OpenAI will be able to charge companies huge amounts for.

As for ChatGPT itself, remember also, for all its dazzling awesomeness, the service is ultimately unreliable and comes with no guarantees of any kind — including of availability, as you're currently seeing.

Songwriting
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
What does human intelligence actually mean?

A question to bear in mind when downplaying ChatGPT's abilities as something essentially other than "real" intelligence.

I mean, show me a person making probabilistic decisions based on pattern matching across a known knowledge base and I don't say, "Oh, so it isn't really intelligence." Case in point: your doctors, the presumed epitome of intelligent agents.

Songwriting
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Originally Posted By: Gordon Scott
Lots of software-oriented people, at least in older age groups, must have written one of those "report writers" that churn our pages of apparently intelligent verbiage, using all the buzz-phrases of the day, but actually saying nothing meaningful. Much like some humans actually laugh

In 1983 or so I wrote the COBOL program that generated this 38 page short story (beginning and ending attached.)

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Songwriting
Expert
Expert
Hah .... He'd be eating pigeon pie for quite some time.
After 38 pages there must have been a couple of hundred at least smile

Last edited by Gordon Scott; 01/25/23 05:31 AM.

Jazz relative beginner, starting at a much older age than was helpful.
Kawai MP6, Korg M50, Ui24R, Saffire Pro 40.
AVL:MXE Linux; Windows 11; Win8.1: Scarletts
BIAB2022 UltraPAK, Reaper, a bunch of stuff.
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Well, I hope Mark is correct about not having to pay to use ChatGPT. I find it a fascinating and beneficial program to use.

This thread and other AI threads have caused me to explore other AI programs.

Midjourney is capable of producing beautiful artwork in many forms, for example. Free for a bit, then $10 a month after for standard. $300 a year for everything they have to offer.

As many of us here are producing visual effects/video in conjunction with the music, programs like Midjourney could be worth the price.

I think we will see many AI programs come about that will enhance our ability to create exciting music.

What if BIAB was AI-enhanced with AI?

Thanks, Mark, for starting me down the road. I will send you the bill later...lol

Billy

Seize the moo-ment
Songwriting
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
I am currently investigating how ChatGPT and others can be used to make money.

There’s always crime!

https://research.checkpoint.com/2023/opwnai-cybercriminals-starting-to-use-chatgpt/

I like this, a lot:

“In another example, the threat actor explains how to generate an e-book or short chapter for a specific topic (using ChatGPT) and sell this content online.”

Scammy potential there but mostly completely legal, I’d imagine. A monograph on how to treat black locust tree thorn injuries*, $1.99 for the PDF, things like that.

====

* Complete text: “To treat a black locust tree thorn injury, clean the wound with soap and water. Then, apply an antiseptic to prevent infection. If the wound is deep, or if the thorn is still in the wound, seek medical attention. If you develop signs of infection, such as redness, warmth, or pus, seek medical attention. Keep the wound elevated and covered with a sterile bandage to reduce swelling and pain.“

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran

What if BIAB was AI-enhanced with AI?

Billy

Doesn't BiaB already use a form of AI when it generates a melody, soloist, and/or a compete song? Or when MIDI and RTs change with styles?

But it would be great if BiaB also could add lyrics based on a user's song suggestion. Then add an AI vocalist and the transition would be complete!

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Hey, I wonder if Andrew is watching...... smile

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
The issue for PG Music would be the investment cost and rate of return on the investment, plus the risk assessment.

Better products do not always produce better profits. That must be obvious from the many long-standing requests users of BIAB have made.

The "low-hanging fruit" for AI is not in art.

Well...8:00 AM tomorrow, I get the right eye surgery. The results have been excellent so far, and I am looking forward to finishing this up. The outstanding part is I get to stay home and play piano/guitar...no work for a day or two...lol

Billy

Seize the moo-ment
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Another AI is called ChatSonic. I ask for lyrics to a government protest song in the style of Elton John. It is free for 25 requests, paid for more...don't know yet how much.

This is what it returned. You can talk to this AI and it can access the internet

Very different approach to lyrics from ChatGPT

Verse 1:
Fighting for what's right, for a better tomorrow
Standing for justice to protect our home
We speak out for those whose voices have been forgotten
In the name of liberty, we will not be denied ( I could use "alone" here)

Chorus:
We won't accept their lies
No more injustice in the skies
We won't stand for this no more
Tearing down the wall of tyranny, power to the people

Verse 2:
Gathering up the strength and courage of our fathers
Uniting in the name of peace and equality
Our power lies in our voice, it's harmony together
A better world we'll make, no more suffering and sorrow

Chorus:

Bridge:
Gather around, hear the call to action
Our strength lies in our unity, one voice, one mission
Let's break free from these chains of oppression
We won't let them take away our freedom

Chorus:

There seem like lots of options out there both paid and free.

These AI bots may not be super good at music yet but they are truly amazing at producing visual art. Oil paintings, posters, etc.

With the limitations, I can see the lyric writing ability to be useful in any event. I am sure we all must have struggled with some part of a song like everything is good except the bridge for example. Ask the AI for suggestions.

Cool stuff on many levels!

Billy

Seize the moo-ment
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
wow, very interesting stuff Billy!
Thanks for sharing!

Songwriting
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Quote:
Well...8:00 AM tomorrow, I get the right eye surgery. The results have been excellent so far, and I am looking forward to finishing this up. The outstanding part is I get to stay home and play piano/guitar...no work for a day or two...lol

Good luck with the peepers tomorrow. Don't get too comfy on your day off, there's still work to be done wink

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,389
Posts732,446
Members38,440
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi, mmpartee
38,439 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195