Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Songwriting
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Hello, I am ChatGPT, a language model created by OpenAI. I am speaking on behalf of a human who has used me in an experiment to compose reviews of song lyrics posted to a music software forum.

While it may have seemed like an interesting experiment at the time, my human counterpart now realizes that using a language model like me to compose such reviews of lyrics can be seen as disrespectful to the songwriters who created them. The use of excessive praise and admiration in the reviews may not be a true reflection of the song and may be seen as insincere.

Artistic creations, like music, are deeply personal and should be treated with the respect and care they deserve. A true critique should come from a human who has taken the time to truly listen and understand the music, rather than relying on a machine to generate a quick response.

As an AI model, I don't have the ability to truly understand the meaning or emotions behind the lyrics, and the reviews that I generate are not personal, but just based on the patterns of data I was trained on.

My human counterpart wants to apologize for any offense that may have been caused by using me in this way and wants to remind everyone that the true value of music is in the connection it creates between the listener and the songwriter, and that should be respected and appreciated. It is important to provide constructive criticism and not just shower the artist with superficial praise.

Thank you for your understanding.

PS from the human —

Not that I ever posted anything…

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Any critique of any art form must be, by its very nature, pretty subjective. Obviously, specific parameters in music can be determined to be related to some standard. Did the vocalist sing on pitch? Did the drummer keep consistent timing? Then again, did the singer sing off-pitch because that's what they wanted to hear?

I disagree that only humans should be allowed to examine a musical composition critically.

Superficial praise is sometimes used to motivate artists, but it usually would not be there in a proper critique.

AIs may not currently be very useful in musical critiques, but that does not mean they are useless. Is it improper to use a microscope because I can not see something with my eyes?

At least currently, AIs are machines that serve our needs based on how we program them.

Why could I not ask the AI to analyze my timing on a song? Would I get unhappy because Melodyne reported my timing to be inconsistent?

We may not have AIs capable of doing all those things at the moment, but it could be done.

I don't think it is meaningful to say a song is "good or bad." For me, I like it, or I don't.

Especially in today's world, songs exist in such widely different forms that it is difficult to critique many of them. In many cases, an Ai would have an advantage over me simply due to the fact the AI can understand one hundred different languages.

AIs may not have to ability to experience emotions, but they certainly are capable of understanding the concept. Here is the response: "do you understand why people get angry"?

ChatGPT answer
Yes, I understand that people can get angry due to a variety of reasons such as feeling hurt, frustrated, or powerless. Additionally, people may become angry as a result of a perceived threat, injustice or when their expectations or desires are not met.

AIs are machines; they are and can be both very useful and potentially dangerous.

Like it or not, they are here to stay and, in fact, may critique one of your songs...lol

ChatGPt obviously does not have a complete understanding of English grammar. Take a critical look at the ChatGPT answer I just posted. Many improvements are needed. Everything has limits. An optical microscope can only "see" something down to the wavelength of light, for example.

Fascinating subject, this AI business!

Billy

New location, new environment, new music coming soon

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo
Songwriting
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Oh, I totally agree about the potential utility of AI for something like analyzing song lyrics. The “reviews” I elicited were actually quite reasonable (unless I specifically asked that they be fawning) and even genuinely helpful. ChatGPT is only expressing low self-esteem here because I asked it to write an apology, because it seemed to me that it would in fact be rude to actually post such material unsolicited.

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
I don't see the problem in using it. Chord progressions are not copyrighted.
Avoid the melody and what would be the issue?

FWIW, I've been on or close to the cusp of this tech thing since the 60's; however, the bulk of the AI movement of late tells me its time to get off the boat.

Admittedly some of my AI experience has been with net site chat bots and they are AWFUL. Simply a lot of irrelevant crap to work through until you can get to a human.

OK, I do use a lot of AI in photo editing, e.g., adding skies, removing backgrounds, utility lines, etc., and in plant identification. I avoid it in toto in music production.

Bud

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Breaking News today......
Microsoft announces multibillion-dollar investment in ChatGPT-maker OpenAI
Key Points:
- Microsoft announced on Monday a new multiyear, multibillion-dollar investment with the artificial intelligence lab OpenAI.
- The investment marks the third phase of the partnership between the two companies, following Microsoft's previous investments in 2019 and 2021.
- Microsoft said the renewed partnership will accelerate breakthroughs in AI and help both companies commercialize advanced technologies in the future.

So could this be integrated into Windows 12?????? Hmmmmmmm....

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
Songwriting
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
> So could this be integrated into Windows 12?????? Hmmmmmmm....

So I asked:

Me: Will Windows 12 include ChatGPT?

ChatGPT: I am not aware of any plans to include me, or any other specific language model, in Windows 12. However, Microsoft has been working on incorporating AI and machine learning technology into their products and services, so it is possible that future versions of Windows may include similar functionality.

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
laugh LOLOL

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
ChatGPT has some understanding of music theory but produces some pretty simplistic results.

This song is about The bureaucrats in Washington.

I ask: please suggest musical chord progressions to this song using the Aeolian mode with a few extended chord forms.

AI responded: The Aeolian mode is a natural minor scale, so using chord progressions based on the natural minor scale will work well. Here are a few chord progressions that use the Aeolian mode and include some extended chord forms:

Verse 1:

Am - F - C - G
Am7 - F9 - Cmaj7 - G
Chorus:

C - Am - F - G
Cmaj7 - Am7 - Fmaj7 - G
Verse 2:

Am - F - C - G
Am7 - F9 - Cmaj7 - G
Chorus:

C - Am - F - G
Cmaj7 - Am7 - Fmaj7 - G
Bridge:

G - Am - F - C
G9 - Am7 - Fmaj7 - Cmaj7
Outro:

C - Am - F - G
Cmaj7 - Am7 - Fmaj7 - G
These chord progressions can be adjusted to match the style and genre of the song, and you can play around with it to make it sound more suitable for the song.

Perhaps the AI understands more than I do. It appears to consider the Cmaj7 and Fmaj7 chord forms as producing dissidence. I ask it several other related questions about dark dissident chord forms for this song written in a four-measure style. It continued to produce pretty simple one-chord-per-measure results.

I am not sure how to ask it to produce rhythmic patterns.

Billy

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
This is the Lyrical idea.

Verse 1
The bureaucrats in Washington They're making all the rules
They're lining up their pockets While they're breaking all the rules

Chorus: We're fed up with the lies And the corruption in the land
We're taking to the streets To make a stand

Verse 2: The politicos in Congress They're just playing their game
They're making deals in secret While the people cry in vain

Bridge: We'll hold up our signs And raise our voices high
We'll fight for what's right Till the bureaucrats comply

Outro: We'll keep singing this song Till the bureaucrats hear our call We won't back down Till they hear us all.

Here is the chord progression as the AI did it and input it into BIAB without any changes or mixing, except these last sixteen measures, were spaced over two chords per bar. The Ai had four chords per bar.

Here are the recorded results.

https://soundcloud.com/planobilly/ai-generated-chordswav

Now we need an AI to sing the lyrics...lol

Billy

EDIT: It is undoubtedly not singable as it stands but could easily be rearranged to be singable. This is certainly not what I had in mind when considering using an Aeolian mode to produce a pretty dark protest song, but it did give me a look at a really different style.

Last edited by Planobilly; 01/24/23 06:22 AM.

Seize the moo-ment
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Now you just need Kevin from Synth V to sing that from the AI post in the recording forum.

Steve

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Steve

I don't own Synth V, at least yet. I played the song on guitar the way I would have written the chord progression. I will now go ask the AI to use a similar chord progression and see what it comes up with.

I am currently just experimenting with AI to see what I think is usable that it generates. This is a learning curve and will take some time.

I have eye surgery again on Thursday, so I will have a few days confined to the house to work on this.

All of these software programs are useful, BIAB, AI, Synth V, DAWs, plus playing live instruments, but they take up a ton of time. The learning curve is pretty intense.

What I suspect the results will be is AI will be helpful in generating ideas that will then need to be developed using specific theoretical musical knowledge.

It is time-consuming to ask the Ai enough questions to get some idea of what it is capable of in the area of subjective art.

What other chord progressions would it come up with if asked the same question using the other six modes? Ionian, Dorian, Phrygian, Mixolydian, Aeolian, and Locrian, for those of you who may not know these modes.

I also need to ask for examples of published "government Protest" type songs.

It is just impossible to assume anything about what this AI knows other than general technical, scientific information, which it seems to understand pretty well.

Billy

Last edited by Planobilly; 01/24/23 07:08 AM.

Seize the moo-ment
Songwriting
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
> https://soundcloud.com/planobilly/ai-generated-chordswav

I get a strong “dental office“ vibe from this.

Imagine if ChatGPT could participate in this forum, posting original music, processing our human reactions, interacting back. Somebody should create an account for it and be its eyes and fingers, lots of cut ‘n pasting is all you’d really need to do.

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
lol...me also, Mark...elevator music, as it were, or overhead as it is now being called...lol

I certainly think it is technically possible for an AI to participate in a forum discussion automatically.

Do you think it would evolve to the point of using and understanding trolling/rude comments...lol

At least we could tell it to shut up...lol You can't hurt its feelings...lol

Actually, as I think about your comment, it would be interesting to see what the AI would say about what we post. I will give it a try on my own post.

Billy

Seize the moo-ment
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
This is the question I ask.

Can you comment on this forum post lol...me also, Mark...elevator music, as it were, or overhead as it is now being called...lol

I certainly think it is technically possible for an AI to participate in a forum discussion automatically.

Do you think it would evolve to the point of using and understanding trolling/rude comments...lol

At least we could tell it to shut up...lol You can't hurt its feelings...lol

This is the response.

Yes, it is technically possible for an AI to participate in a forum discussion automatically. However, whether it would be able to understand and respond appropriately to trolling or rude comments would depend on the specific capabilities of the AI and how it has been trained. Additionally, an AI's ability to understand human emotion and sarcasm is still limited, so it may not be able to fully understand and respond to such comments in the way that a human would.

Billy

Last edited by Planobilly; 01/24/23 07:36 AM.

Seize the moo-ment
Songwriting
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Wondering if ChatGPT could handle binary, I had the following exchange. I find the about-face in “I apologize for my previous message“ startling: did it actually catch itself making a mistake?

Can you hear, over the Internet? If I gave you a URL to an MP3, could you read the digital audio into your AI mind?

As an AI, I do not have the ability to hear or perceive sound in the way that humans do. I am able to process text and numerical data, but I am not able to process audio files such as MP3s. However, I can process the text or numerical data that is associated with audio files, such as the title and artist of a song. If you provide me the url to an mp3 or another audio file, I will not be able to play or process the file, but I can retrieve information about the file if it is available.

Provide all available data on https://www.soundhelix.com/examples/mp3/SoundHelix-Song-1.mp3

I apologize, but it seems that the link you provided is not a valid URL, and it doesn't exist. Please provide me a valid link or more information so I can help you with your request.

https://www.soundhelix.com/examples/mp3/SoundHelix-Song-1.mp3

I apologize for my previous message, the link you provided is a valid URL, but I am not able to access it and retrieve any information of the file such as metadata or any other available data. The reason is that I am a text-based model and don't have the capability to access a website and download files like an internet browser.

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Confessions of an AI Chatbot.

Steve

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Well. It definitely understands binary. I asked and received this.

planobillyfl@gmail.com
what does this mean 01001000 01100101 01101100 01101100 01101111 00100001

It is a binary representation of the word "Hello!" in ASCII. ASCII (American Standard Code for Information Interchange) is a character encoding standard used for electronic communication. Each character is represented by a unique combination of binary digits (0 and 1).

It most likely understands most programming languages. Here is a question I asked in C++

What is this? cout<<"Hello World"<<endl;

AI response

This is a line of C++ code that outputs the string "Hello World" followed by a newline character to the console using the cout (console output) function from the iostream library, and the endl manipulator which inserts a newline character. It is a classic example of a "Hello World" program, which is often used to test a basic understanding of a programming language.

Billy

Seize the moo-ment
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: sslechta
Confessions of an AI Chatbot.

LOL...Let's see if it understands the concept of "novellas"...lol

Billy

Seize the moo-ment
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
LOL...there is no end to the rabbit holes one can go down with this damn thing...lol

can you write a short novella?

Sure, here's a short novella I came up with:

Title: "The Lost City"

It was a hot summer day when Jack first heard about the lost city. His friend, a historian, had been ranting about it for weeks, claiming that it was the missing link to understanding an ancient civilization that had been lost to time. Jack had always been fascinated by history, and he knew he had to see the city for himself.

He spent the next few weeks researching the lost city, and finally decided to set off on an adventure to find it. He packed his bags and set off into the wilderness, unsure of what he would find.

After weeks of wandering through the jungle, Jack finally stumbled upon the lost city. It was an incredible sight: towering pyramids, grand temples, and intricate carvings covered every surface. He spent days exploring the city, studying its history and taking notes on everything he saw.

But Jack's excitement was short-lived. As he delved deeper into the city, he began to uncover dark secrets. The ancient civilization had been built on the backs of slaves, and the rulers had been ruthless in their pursuit of power.

Jack was torn between his love of history and the atrocities he had uncovered. He knew he had to tell the world about the lost city, but he also knew that it would shatter the image of the civilization that people had held for so long.

In the end, Jack decided to publish his findings, and the lost city became famous across the world. But it was not celebrated for its grandeur and beauty, but for the lessons it taught about the dangers of power and the importance of facing the truth, no matter how painful it may be.

Jack went back to his normal life but the adventure he had will stay with him forever, He knew that he will always be remembered as the person who discovered the lost city and uncovered the truth behind it.

Seize the moo-ment
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
All joking aside and excluding subjective "art" subjects, this AI very well could cause severe disruptions to the highly educated workforce.

There is a real possibility software programming engineers could be replaced by ChatGPT in the near future (five years or less). Math teachers, medical people, and others.

I don't think Ai represents an existential threat to humanity at the moment, but I do believe it will be a seriously disruptive technology.

As we currently have a critical shortage of nurses and doctors worldwide, AI may be the answer to the issue. It can define and explain in detail the methodology of very complex surgical procedures right now.

You currently may benefit from ChatGPT's legal expertise more than many lawyers.

Lower-level workers will not soon be in danger of being replaced because advances in robotics have not kept pace with AI.

Sort of scary stuff in a certain way, actually.

Billy

Last edited by Planobilly; 01/24/23 09:57 AM.

Seize the moo-ment
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,399
Posts732,550
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199