Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
From TikTok to Patreon +++ HERE'S +++ how musicians can use the internet to cut through the noise.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Veteran
Veteran
One would need the patience of Job to pursue those protocols. Of course as a retiree with an income that's easy to say. smile

I would note that one relatively minor placement via the many music libraries is worth waaaaaay more than several thousand streams. We've never promoted our music beyond placing our catalog on Songtradr. Although we don't create music in popular genres we've still had 26 songs licensed. And that's just ST as I'm too lazy or just lack the interest to submit to other libraries. Again, no doubt that those who live off their music must pursue all the avenues time allows.

Bud

Expert
Expert
Everything is easier for the person who isn't doing it.

"Is there a certain way to make a million bucks in music?"

"Start with $50 Million"

I do pretty well but it's a ton of work, know-how and connections that I've made over the last 55 years. I can't say that I do Any of the things in that article — don't have the time.

Quote:
I would note that one relatively minor placement via the many music libraries is worth waaaaaay more than several thousand streams.

Make that a hundred thousand streams and I'll agree.

BIAB 2023 Audiophile, 24/60 Core M2 Mac Studio Ultra/8TB/192GB Sonoma, M1 MBAir, 2012 MBP
Digital Performer 11, LogicPro
Finale27.4, Dorico5, Encore5, SmartScorePro64, Notion6, Overture5
Expert
Expert
Bud,

When you say you 'place your catalog' do you mean that you have an artist account with Song Tradr and you upload songs for distribution?

I'm considering Repost by SoundCloud, but I don't think Repost does what Song Tradr does.

Thanks.

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: olemon
Bud,

When you say you 'place your catalog' do you mean that you have an artist account with Song Tradr and you upload songs for distribution?

I'm considering Repost by SoundCloud, but I don't think Repost does what Song Tradr does.

Thanks.

Yes. I uploaded to Songtradr most of the songs we’ve created during our BiaB years and have uploaded all new productions subsequently. I review the music wanted and submit when we see something that might be a good match. We also make all our songs available for the monetization opps. Other than uploading I spend less than 15 minutes a week with ST. We have five songs that are on ST genre specific featured (12-15 songs) playlists. They are for customers searching for those genres and ST selected the tunes. I mentioned the 26 song licenses and while we’ve not had the “big one” for film or tv Mood Media has licensed several and they are the largest “overhead” music provider with operations in 140 countries … so we do get heard here and there smile

It’s all just for fun and is not at all time consuming. The income is very modest but it pays for the ST pro subscription and more. All of the other sync libraries have to approve your submissions before listing them and they accept a very, very small percentage. We have a few songs with a couple of them but haven’t submitted in years. We have way more fun things to do than spend time with libraries other than ST.

Bud

Expert
Expert
Quote:
Mood Media has licensed several…

Very nice!

For those unfamiliar with the name, Mood Media owns MUZAK and handles the commercial/industrial distribution of Sirius/XM to restaurants, gyms, background music suppliers, CATV etc.

BIAB 2023 Audiophile, 24/60 Core M2 Mac Studio Ultra/8TB/192GB Sonoma, M1 MBAir, 2012 MBP
A
A
For those who know anything about streaming.. it's possibly good for publicity, but definitely not good for income.

I make tons more selling CDs online than share/pirate online free-for-all streaming services.

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Mike Halloran
Quote:
Mood Media has licensed several…

Very nice!

For those unfamiliar with the name, Mood Media owns MUZAK and handles the commercial/industrial distribution of Sirius/XM to restaurants, gyms, background music suppliers, CATV etc.

Thanks Mike. Apologies for missing your comments. BTW, the songs MM licensed were blues and Americana so I guess somewhere out in the hinterlands there are folks listening to something other than modern pop and EDM. smile

Bud

Journeyman
Journeyman
Suggestions for the minimum online presence.?

Focused primarily on getting gigs, not streaming or library revenue.

Most bar/club/restaurant owners want some kind of link to check you out. More than a business card.

Is a web site sufficient?
Some info, calendar, a few songs and or videos.
Don’t care to facebook,instagram, Tik Tok, etc
I just enjoy playing out and would like a fuller calendar.

biab2023(Mac)
Logic Pro X
Veteran
Veteran
I know you said you had no interest but a simple fb musician page is free, easy to manage and IMO easier to establish than a web site. No doubt many will disagree.

Bud

Journeyman
Journeyman
Bud,
Thanks for the advice. I see the wisdom of a simple approach.

I do own a domain that's been hibernating for some time now.
I've also been doing some wordpress stuff for some other things (non-music) i do.
That's most of my reason for going the website way.

Some of my musician friends also use wix.

biab2023(Mac)
Logic Pro X
Veteran
Veteran
Evidently, if you want to get wildly popular and really promote your music online, just follow ChatGPT"s model. It only costs $100,000 a day.

Billy

New location, new environment, new music coming soon

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo
Veteran
Veteran
Things that worked for us -

Start an email list.
At a show, simply leave a small piece of paper on each table with a spot for name/email.
Clearly state 'this is in case you enjoy the band, we can let you know where we are playing next & we will not use your email for any other purpose. Guaranteed'
During an intermission (preferably one where you thought the audience enjoyed the set) the band can wander around and collect the papers, triggering some people to fill it out on the spot for various reasons (you took the time to stop and say Hi may be enough for some).

Use social media if comfortable, can't hurt. The more people feel attached the more they become bonded to you and actually read your emails and posts. BUT if they post something regarding you it is imperative you respond. You can't post and not reciprocate especially when mentioned. social media - socialize.

Have 'somewhere' they can check in and share with friends (website for us but FB could probably work), preferably with a performance or three to show friends or go back and enjoy.

After all, they have to enjoy your performance or all other efforts are moot.

If you have 'some' fans, you can grow them, but you have to have something to start with ..
just a thought from my experience

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Journeyman
Journeyman
Bud,
I see you use SoundCloud to post your original music.
I play mostly covers.

Apparently SoundCloud is not a place for covers.

Do you know of any spots online where Icould post my covers for prospective clients to audition?

biab2023(Mac)
Logic Pro X
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: mrgeeze
Bud,
I see you use SoundCloud to post your original music.
I play mostly covers.

Apparently SoundCloud is not a place for covers.

Do you know of any spots online where Icould post my covers for prospective clients to audition?

Many covers can be posted on youtube. I have never understood the legality of doing that. Some get taken down, and others stay up.

If you want to get in a more professional mode, you can stream your music direct to a client's DAW directly with Audiomovers.

As far as I understand, there is no 100% legal way to produce covers without permission.

In the U.S., there are three ways to obtain a mechanical license for a cover song: (1) through the compulsory licensing procedure established by law; (2) from the Harry Fox Agency if they administer the musical composition for the song; or (3) directly from the publisher of the song.

Just because something is allowed/disregarded on some website does not make it legal. The legal ramifications of violation of copyright law have to date, produced results ranging from nothing to severe and very costly lawsuits.

I am not a music business attorney. What I just posted is not legal advice. It is just my opinion.

Billy

New location, new environment, new music coming soon

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo
B
Journeyman
Journeyman
B
Originally Posted By: Planobilly

Many covers can be posted on youtube. I have never understood the legality of doing that. Some get taken down, and others stay up.

What's legal and what you can get away with are not necessarily the same thing.

A lot of artists are content with putting a copyright claim on your cover song and taking the ad revenue so they can at least get a little something for compensation because going after some kid in his room with a lawsuit is generally counterproductive. Not only does it make no financial sense, it would be monumentally bad PR.

Janie Hendrix and Don Henley, on the other hand, would rather see Jimi's and the Eagles' legacies fade into obscurity and die so they takedown everything.

Byron Dickens

BIAB. CbB. Mixbus 32C 8 HP Envy. Intel core i7. 16GB RAM W10. Focusrite Scarlett 18i 20. Various instruments played with varying degrees of proficiency.

https://soundcloud.com/athanorsoundlabs
Expert
Expert
Quote:

That's easy. All YouTube covers of songs first published in the USA after 1/1/1928 require a Synchronization (Sync) license from the publishers (or whoever administers those rights for the publishers) unless you can prove that the work is otherwise in the Public Domain. Period. CD Baby, for example will not let you upload a cover that doesn't have it.

ASCAP, BMI, SESAC and GMR cannot grant Sync licenses until Congress passes legislation allowing this. All four want to. Many foreign PROs include this service for their members.

Unfortunately, there are many bots, Russian (TuneCore is the biggest), Brazilian (too many to count) and others that flag everything giving you 30 days to challenge. To respond, you must be able to prove a Sync license exists or that the work is in the PD. Failure to do so can cause your video to be pulled and your account to be sanctioned. With TuneCore, I submit to YouTube and the TuneCore website, sometimes with a C&D letter from my attorney sent Certified to their NY mailling address.

If a song is by an entity known for never granting licenses (Hendrix, Led Zep etc.) the takedown is immediate and your YouTube account might be sanctioned if this happens too many times. Although not all courts agree, there is no Fair Use exemption unless you are reporting the news–good luck fighting that.

Journeyman
Journeyman
Money does indeed make people predictable.

I understand people want to get paid for their work.
I compiled a CD (remember CD's) of covers a few years back.
I paid more in royalties than the rest of the CD production costs.
Happy to send them the $$$.

Only wish I had realized just how valuable CD's were not.
Such is life.

Anyway, I'm happy to remit any $$ due the creator of the song whenever I can.
My aspirations for financial reward as a musician have been somewhat tempered by 5 decades of often not getting much $$$ to play.

biab2023(Mac)
Logic Pro X
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
maybe a stoopid question, cos ive never promoed my crazy songs...but yonks ago in england rockers n' other genres
would take their newly minted demos/songs to their local commercial radio stations n' see if they could get a break and a wider audience that way.

thats how some groups went from unkmowns to being big names.
isnt this a option today ? or maybe i'm being naive cos the worlds v different today.

happiness.

om

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 02/03/23 09:57 AM.

New Song "PRETTY GIRL" for my wife...Dec 2023
(my vocs....mixed for good earbuds.)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs/prettygirlrbfinalcalfsongsdec2023mp3
(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
Expert
Expert
Quote:
Do you know of any spots online where I could post my covers for prospective clients to audition?

Soundcloud and Bandcamp are good as long as you do not make the files accessible to the public. The listener must have a direct link to the file in order to hear it. Technically, this is a Private Performance and not subject to licensing.

Unfortunately, this no longer works on YouTube — the bots will find you even though they are only supposed to look for Public performances.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,393
Posts732,476
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195